The V Building | Suffolk Street Queensway | Residential | 50fl | 152m | Canc. - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #81
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
lol... i really dont get it, this is the height of criterion place and beetham manc and @least 10m taller than our bt tower and 40m taller than our current tallest HCT!.... i really dont understand!

All true, but it isn't 245 metres to spire as was originnaly intended!

I know, I know...

I personally don't mind it too much. Will be very interested to see more renders when they land, and an official height and floor count would be usefull too.

Also, look at it this way... Its another peice of land taken up with a tower. Therefore, there is one site fewer where you can build a tower. Therefore, what towers follow will surely be taller?!

Its all good!
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #82
SimonTheSoundMan
ENTJ 8w9

Likes (Received): 1906

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimLim View Post
If this pleases us then

Woody, you've just said it. This is one of the best outside London. We want to become a world class city. This is'nt world class. Its UK Class.

UK class is ok, but not great. Birmingham needs to become great. Adequate wont do.

Im with Martin.
I agree. You cannot compare us to Dubai for example. We are the 2nd city in the worlds 4th largest economy country, and all we get is this?

It's a joke, same with our crappy public transport infrastructure.
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #83
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

...keep it to AST!
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #84
TheFly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Please help a poor blind fool.

The images clearly show Alpha Tower which is 100metres high.
This new tower is not 1/2 as big again. eg 150m plus?

If 40 floors of resi/hotel gets your Beetham at 122m how does 7 more floors get you to 160metres????? Maybe 140metres like Crown in Manchester?

Surely if someone goes to the trouble of creating a model render, as they have, it will be fairly accurate, if not leaning on the side of being over generous with its dimensions.

This tower is not 150m by this definition.

What am I missing here?
TheFly no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #85
TheFly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Got myself in a pickle... I mean to say this tower IS 150m but no way 160metres.
TheFly no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #86
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

It will be slightly taller than Beetham Manchester (excluding the scaffolding at the top of Beetham Manchester that is!).

I think it is really elegant, & not an awkward looking structure like Beetham Manchester, thank goodness.

Overall height of Arena Square Tower will be 165 metres ...... oh, "hi" by the way, I'm still here ....... news in January as predicted correctly this time!!!
FLD no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #87
larven

Likes (Received): 3610

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
lol... i really dont get it, this is the height of criterion place and beetham manc and @least 10m taller than our bt tower and 40m taller than our current tallest HCT!.... i really dont understand!

It's been chopped in height by almost a third, I'd say thats a real bitch even though it may still be the tallest in Brum. Also it's anything but the soaring, stepped skyscraper originally proposed which would have been an inspiring pinnacle among a sea of boxes.....instead its just, well another box!
larven no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #88
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Piss off!

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #89
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
It's been chopped in height by almost a third, I'd say thats a real bitch even though it may still be the tallest in Brum. Also it's anything but the soaring, stepped skyscraper originally proposed which would have been an inspiring pinnacle among a sea of boxes.....instead its just, well another box!
No, this is a box ......well 2 boxes, a shoe box on top of a chocolate box!

Looks hidously cheap & dated already & it's not even a year old yet!

Arena Square Tower will look in a different league to Beetham Manc, trust me!
FLD no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #90
SimLim

Likes (Received):

FLD I realy dont think anybody has an ounce of trust in you.

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #91
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

larven - you have to understand that 245m is not going to happen because of aviation. We can't help that. The market was there 10 years ago for a 245m office tower (that was cropped), the market was there a few years ago for a 192m HCT but that was also cropped. Birmingham has commercial and residential markets that make the tallest buildings in the UK viable, but unfortunately aviation safety will not allow it.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #92
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

I have slept on this and I woke to find I like it more and more

Yes, still disappointed with the 'roof feature' but I understand the economics.

And I for one, am relieved that we have something to look at and should see construction commenced this year.

Let's just get on with it, and hope that Miller might sneak a little tower in - maybe 100m? Please!

I still reckon this is taller than 150. I guess 168m.

And it works beautifully at ground level in terms of pedestrian navigation and circulation.

And just a reminder - the one we all got hung up on was an office block. The new one was never going to look like that.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #93
SimLim

Likes (Received):

I dont believe it was an office block Bio. It was mixed was it not?

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #94
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Oh and may I remind everyone? If that atrium is suppose to become as famous as rockafella then Ill eat my hat. It looks like any ordinary hotel/residential entrance. Not very welcoming at all.

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #95
larven

Quote:
Piss off!
You piss off!

Biosonic...I understand the reasons regarding the aviation limits and other commercial considerations. Its just a shame the original ambition of the scheme has been compromised.

@FLD
Yes Beetham Manc is a box but so is this. And how you can presume that this tower will be in a different league on the basis of the info so far released is beyond me.
larven no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #96
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
You're sounding like a stuck record now, a crappy UB40 one at that!!

What bit don't you "trust" ...... Bio thinks it will be around 168 metres tall & I think it will be around 165 metres tall, that's about 10 to 15 metres taller than Beetham Manc, (excluding the awful chicken wire thing on the top!)

Give me a break Sim, you don't have to comment on everything people write, & to tell people to "piss off" just isn't cricket mate!

Bullshit baffles and im afraid thats your fortay. If you dont know anything concrete stop saying stuff. "It could be this" ... "it could be that" We all knew it was coming soon, we all know what the rough height is going to be, why do you persist?

Yes it could be 165m. It could also be 164m or 166m. You really are your own worse enemy.

Old January 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #97
FLD

Larven, it isn't quite a box shape, it folds in slightly at the ends of the building, (as I suggested last week, it has some echos of Alpha Tower) & has a "crown" effect on the top.
FLD no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #98
SimLim

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by larven View Post
You piss off!

Biosonic...I understand the reasons regarding the aviation limits and other commercial considerations. Its just a shame the original ambition of the scheme has been compromised.

@FLD
Yes Beetham Manc is a box but so is this. And how you can presume that this tower will be in a different league on the basis of the info so far released is beyond me.
It was'nt to you larven, it was to someone else, you just happened to post just before me. I agree with most things you are saying

Old January 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #99
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Got myself in a pickle... I mean to say this tower IS 150m but no way 160metres.
well here is the crack...

the model of alpha tower shows a step back at the top. whe you see pictures of the tower, you will realise this step back is nothing but a frame to place masts on and is never included in the 100m. it is the lower step that puts it in at 100m.

you see 100m goes to how many floors on the tower, then you see that 2 double height floors at the base which kuhne has also loved. anyway, you get a floor height of about 3.336m (3.21m of HCT and 3.34m for BST) so you get a good 157/8m to 47 floors, and notice how the fadade continues up another 2 or 3 floors, places AST at about 163m-166m..there is the maths!
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #100
larven

Quote:
It was'nt to you larven, it was to someone else, you just happened to post just before me. I agree with most things you are saying

Well I apologise in kind.
larven no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
architecture, arena, birmingham, central, construction, demolition, highrise, skybar, skyscraper