Snowhill | Phase 3 | Snow Hill Queensway | Mixed-Use | 40/23 fl | 138m | Canc. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #101
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 8

The roadworks are going to be finished early!

Quote:
THE first stage of the £400 million redevelopment of Birmingham city centre is on schedule with work due to be completed this summer.

The major overhaul of St Chad's Queensway has caused traffic chaos for months, with motorists diverted onto minor roads.

But after weeks of good weather, city officials are confident the work will be finished by the end of July and traffic congestion has been alleviated with the early completion of a U-turn in Whittal Street, outside the Thistle Hotel.

Work began on the proposed Snow Hill development in July 2006.
icBirmingham
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #102
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 243

Great news! Hopefully this will bring an end to the majorly long queus and wasted time spent in them for commuters and drivers through the city.
Mercurius no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #103
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
don't worry blahblah - it's a piling rig and is supposed to do that
The piling rig is the white one on the left.

The blue one is the support crane which should be lifting the steel tubes and/or rebar cages in.

It looks decidely sad to me....looks like it had too many beers over Easter.
fruit&nut no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #104
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2543

Now just imagine standing between this and the existing Snow Hill Tower

Edit: Oh, just found out Snow Hill Plaza is only 72m, so 3 of the 4 Snow Hill Towers are taller than it, with with the 4th not far behind. They are going to be HUGE when you consider how wide they are!

Last edited by ill tonkso; April 12th, 2007 at 03:54 PM.
ill tonkso no está en línea  
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #105
blahblah
Change is Here!

Looks like the core is about to rise.
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #106
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 539

some big red crane thingy is there now lol

with the continuing good weather, the roads should be finished quite fast
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #107
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2543

News:

Only the smaller of the four is currently classed as under construction, we still have a while before the big guy. BUT this is a good sign, it means the project is a definate go ahead!
ill tonkso no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #108
blahblah
Change is Here!

They can't really do a fat lot with the other buildings until the roadworks are finished. The site of the towers still has an active road on it.

What do we recon? Will they start the other buildings all at once, when the site is clear? Or phase them?

I recon they'll do the viaduct and foundations for the metro line before the towers too.
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #109
Nacho

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I recon they'll do the viaduct and foundations for the metro line before the towers too.
Although we already knew it ,the Metro viaduct was officially launched three days ago.This is the first tangible sign of the Metro extension.I think the bridge which will take the Metro over Smallbrook Queensway to Broad St,will commence as the V Tower rises.

Here's the article that I posted on the Transport thread yesterday.

Metro bridges link with Birmingham city centre
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Construction work has started on a new viaduct which will carry Midland Metro past Snow Hill and into the heart of Birmingham city centre as part of the proposed Midland Metro extensions being developed by Centro-WMPTA.

The viaduct, estimated to cost £9m in Centro-WMPTA’s project business case, is a contribution from private developer Ballymore towards the £116m Birmingham City Centre Extension of the tram system in recognition of the importance of the scheme in improving the connectivity of the city.

The work forms part of Ballymore’s £500 million Snow Hill scheme which will eventually comprise 600,000 sq ft of high quality office accommodation in two distinctive buildings. More than 300 residential apartments are also proposed, together with a five star hotel and first class restaurants, cafes and retail space.

The viaduct will run at street level through the Snow Hill scheme and will carry the Midland Metro Line One extension into the city centre, serving Bull Street, Corporation Street, New Street Station and Broad Street with the terminus on the Hagley Road in Edgbaston.

The Ballymore scheme will also include construction of an urban pedestrian boulevard which will connect with a new pedestrian walkway situated between Snow Hill Station and the new buildings, providing safer pedestrian links between the city centre and the Jewellery and Gun Quarters.

Geoff Inskip, Chief Executive of the region’s public transport body Centro-WMPTA, which is developing the Metro extensions, says: “This major contribution from Ballymore shows how important the extension of the Midland Metro is to local businesses and developers.

“The frequent high-capacity trams will provide an enhanced service and a real boost to the accessibility of Birmingham city centre and the Black Country - with excellent links between shops, homes, offices, rail stations and major new developments. It will make a real impact on our campaign to cut congestion for everyone.”

Richard Probert, Development Manager for Ballymore’s Snow Hill scheme said: “We are delighted to be facilitating the extension of the Metro through Birmingham city centre. The fact that Metro will be immediately available to the staff of companies based at Snow Hill is a key feature of the accessibility and sustainability case of our scheme at Snow Hill.

“It is high time that Birmingham - like Manchester, Nottingham and other regional centres - had a high quality public transport tram route running through the city centre providing linkage between the western side of the city – all the way through to the Black Country.

“Ballymore shares Centro-WMPTA’s vision that the proposed extension of the Metro through Birmingham city centre will provide improved connectivity and economic benefits which will further enhance Birmingham’s ability to attract inward investment and help put Birmingham on the map as a world class city.”

The business case for the £386m Midland Metro Phase One extensions, which also includes a route in the Black Country from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill via Dudley, was submitted to Government last July.

Studies show the proposed lines will provide Birmingham and the West Midlands with an enhanced image, regeneration and economic benefits, including providing over 4,000 jobs and helping to reduce the congestion that is costing the region’s economy £2.2 billion a year.
Nacho no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #110
Mercurius

Thats great news that is thanks for that. With the roadworks being completed earlier this can only help in the timescale of the construction so this is good news.
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #111
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

AFAIK the Snowhill viaduct will happen as the first block rises. There is no reason not to install the tramlines and free up space at the rail station then

The second office block I believe will happen as soon as poss after they get their planning amendment through, but I guess it depends on how the letting of the first block goes. They already have a large prelet.

The towers will be free to start once the roads have been realigned, but I would guess most likely happen once the hotel operator is signed up?

Ballymore generally don't hang around though
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #112
Mercurius

Thanks for that Bio, is there any mention of what hotels are interested in being located here?
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #113
Biosonic
Second Citizen

No (that is why they aren't building yet! ) although it will be a high 4* or 5* apparently.
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #114
Mercurius

lol ok but Brum needs a genuine 5* hotel built soon as we have quite a few 4*s but no 5* hotels!
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #115
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Well, I have heard the names of Oriental, Four Seasons and Sheraton mentioned, so take your pick!
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #116
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Cushman and Wakefield have their work cut out! Aren't they doing Ventureast as well?
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #117
FLD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
No (that is why they aren't building yet! ) although it will be a high 4* or 5* apparently.
The Hyatt started it's life as a 5* hotel ..... until the food was sampled, & it was down graded to a 4*.

I don't think it will get an accurate * grading until it is up & running ..... I think it is the wrong location for a 5* hotel ........ now if the Grand were to be transformed, hmmmmmm .....!
FLD no está en línea  
Old April 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #118
blahblah
Change is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
The Hyatt started it's life as a 5* hotel ..... until the food was sampled, & it was down graded to a 4*.

I don't think it will get an accurate * grading until it is up & running ..... I think it is the wrong location for a 5* hotel ........ now if the Grand were to be transformed, hmmmmmm .....!
Hell yes. Does seem quite the obvious choice for a 5* hotel doesn't it?

Is that true about the Hyatt? Surely then it's just a case of getting a better chef?
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #119
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1170

I thought the towers hadn't started because they were still waiting for planning permission or am I just behind the times?
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #120
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
I thought the towers hadn't started because they were still waiting for planning permission or am I just behind the times?
as far as i'm aware only the smallest block actually has permission granted, the second of the lower blocks went back into planning in order to gain a few extra floors, and the towers have not been granted yet.
smysticed no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
under construction