ST. JAMES' PARK - for NUFC "Off the field", "Takeover", "Stadium" and "Historical" issues - Page 116 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old July 28th, 2019, 12:59 AM   #2301
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 875

Mike Ashley is a confrontational character. I know people that have dealt with him and his associates. His policy is to be as confrontational and as belligerent as possible, knowing that approach sometimes leads to people backing down and getting a deal.

His chickens have come home to roost. He’s surrounded himself by petrified weakling associates like Charnley or Lamearse before him that are just yes men set an impossible task (as Mike doesn’t really know how to run a club yet sets absurd rules), paid a paltry sum and are probably spinning him a web of lies to cover their own backs.

Take Rafa. Is Mike actually dealing personally with Rafa? Nope... Charnley. Charnley set up this rip off deal for Joelinton, Rafa disagrees, obviously wants Charnley our the picture so the owner and manager are played off each other.

There’s a lot of anti sentiment towards Bruce. I’ve never had a problem with the bloke. If he’s not good enough to be our manager then he’ll know that before us, and as a fan it’ll kill him. He’s another victim of this disastrous reign. Let’s not kick him when we are down.
No Opinion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2019, 01:48 PM   #2302
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1161

Now would be the time for the fans to pile on with a stadium boycott;

Quote:
Sports Direct shares plunge after bizarre delays to financial results
Market analysts had forecast a steep decline in the share price at Monday's opening after a bizarre turn of events last week.
https://news.sky.com/story/sports-di...bacle-11772604

Ashley's lost his touch and so on, create a bigger Tsunami..but not holding my breath.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:25 PM   #2303
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 780

Today is your last chance to get your objections in for the Strawberry place development.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2019, 11:57 AM   #2304
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 3771

St James' Park Football Ground, Newcastle, external painting & signs at south west corner - pictures 03/08/19

Follow up on posts #2282 - 2283 on 20/07/19 showing part completed paintwork

Some pictures by myself from Saturday 03/08/19 approx 0815 showing the external painting of some of the walls & new signs at south west corner of St James' Park Football Ground, Newcastle

South east corner - no paint

Road closure in place on Strawberry Place due to set up of play equipment etc for NUFC friendly game on 03/08/19 - like as been the case at recent hosting of rugby games

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 02:42 PM   #2305
Ken O'Heed

More free gifts for 2019/20 Season Ticket holders at SJP from NUFC

Just arrived in the post, along with season ticket card for 2019/20, in a cardboard box 2350 x 150 x 20mm thick more free gifts for Season Ticket holders at NUFC

Can the club afford it after spending in recent days on new players

Pictures of the "gift"

Inside the lid some pictures of 1968/69 Fairs Cup win - sepia colour matching how long ago it was

A faux leather wallet 100 x 75mm

2 badges, one 25mm diameter, the other 35mm in length

Double sided coin 35mm diameter with names of 12 Fairs Cup winners (6 per side)

At least last years gift had a relatively decent ballpoint pen in it

Why do they bother!

Heading out shortly to cash it in at the pawn shop - must be worth all of ?????

Images hosted on Post image site

KEN
Old August 5th, 2019, 05:59 PM   #2306
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Just arrived in the post, along with season ticket card for 2019/20, in a cardboard box 2350 x 150 x 20mm thick more free gifts for Season Ticket holders at NUFC

Pictures of the "gift"

Inside the lid some pictures of 1968/69 Fairs Cup win - sepia colour matching how long ago it was

Why do they bother!

KEN

Ken,

I'll put a copy of your post into our "Fairs Cup Thread".

Very interesting.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #2307
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:

Pictures of the "gift"

Why do they bother!

KEN
I'm sure we'll see this on the Antiques Roadshow soon, make sure you have a separate insurance valuation for it all....
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 09:36 AM   #2308
Ken O'Heed

Anti-Mike Ashley boycott 11/08/19 fails to take off on flat day all round for Newcastle United fans - Chronicle article & my pictures 11/08/19

Chronicle Live website article from 12/08/19 about the no show protest within the ground about the running of NUFC by Mike Ashley that also included a march from the Sports Direct shop in Northumberland St up the St James' Park, carried out by approx 300 according to reports

EXTRACT

[B]Anti-Mike Ashley boycott fails to take off on flat day all round for Newcastle United fans[/B]

Fans protested outside the ground - but the thousands who did attend didn't have much to cheer at St James' Park

Thousands of fans boycotted the opening home fixtures against Arsenal but the swathes of empty seats organisers had hoped to see didn't materialise.

The stadium was visibly more empty than usual, but the official attendance was still above 47,000, although the real figure was likely lower once season ticket-holders who didn't attend are taken into account.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...fails-16738665

Pictures by myself from Sunday 11/08/19 approx 1355 (just before 1400 kick off) to give an idea of the "empty seats" at that time as viewed from my seat in the East Stand of St James' Park, Newcastle on a day when flag displays during the Rafa Benitez era, mostly in the Gallowgate End (to be seen on earlier posts on this this thread) were also not to be seen

EDIT

From https://www.nufc.com/ article on 12/08/19

EXTRACT

Crowd: 47,635 - that's tickets sold and included 2,937 travelling fans in Leazes Level 7 as usual. The actual number of people in attendance looked to be something around the 44,000 mark (a figure of 42,000 has done the rounds on social media).

AND

from The Mage website article on 12/08/19, https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/08/new...h-and-boycott/

EXTRACT

Newcastle United protest groups release joint statement following Arsenal match and boycott

‘We are not going away. This will not blow over.’

Our fight against Mike Ashley isn’t going to be short and it isn’t going to be easy. Between the groups in our collective, we are committed to a long-term campaign which will not solely rely on fans boycotting games. As a group, we will be reviewing key successes from today and the challenges we are likely to face in the future, before announcing a course of action for the immediate future.

Images hosted on Post Image site

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; August 12th, 2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Adding https://www.nufc.com/ & The Mag text
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #2309
Ken O'Heed

St James' Park, Newcastle, paintwork at south west corner and also the newly refurbished players' tunnel

Follow up on post #2304

Chronicle Live website article from 12/08/18 about the new paintwork at south west corner and also the newly refurbished players' tunnel at St James' Park, Newcastle

EXTRACT

The new players' tunnel is unveiled at St James' Park - sending a clear message about Newcastle United

The new players' tunnel at St James' Park has been unveiled - and it carries a very clear message.

Gone are the white tiled walls which had the club's badge and the logo of Sports Direct emblazoned on them.

Images of fans now cover the walls lining the exit to the pitch - with the message 'we are United ' accompanying the wall wrap.

Full article, with images of tunnel & video of paintwork, on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...ed-st-16740463

KEN
Old August 26th, 2019, 10:29 AM   #2310
Ken O'Heed

St James' Park Football Ground, Newcastle, external painting & signs at south west corner and general deterioration of paintwork - pictures 25/08/19

Follow up on posts #2304 on 03/08/19 showing paintwork to masonry at south west corner

Some pictures by myself from Sunday 25/08/19 approx 1130 showing the external painting of some of the walls & new signs at south west corner of St James' Park Football Ground, Newcastle

As others have stated the ground is becoming "tatty" due to lack of investment see condition of paintwork to handrails etc to Gallowgate end, leading to rust, which can be seen in certain situations

South east corner

KEN
Old August 30th, 2019, 02:09 PM   #2311
johnson293

Likes (Received): 55

A typical half-ar5ed job, in keeping with the club ownership.

Slap some black paint on a wall, replace a couple of signs, yet ignore the stained block/stonework and rusting, paint chipped railings immediately in front of said (now black) wall.

Also the mis-match of doors and screens to the terrace bar and executive box access - Obviously didn't have enough paint to do those.

4 matches in, and already the 3 years of Benitez' good work on both tactics and injuries are being eroded.

#AshleyOut #BruceOut #ImOutTillAshleysGone
johnson293 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:44 PM   #2312
Ken O'Heed

The latest stage of the eye-catching St James' Park makeover at south west corner unveiled

Chronicle Live website article from 16/09/19

EXTRACT

The latest stage of the eye-catching St James' Park makeover unveiled

Newcastle United have commissioned a striking mural on the corner of the Gallowgate Stand as the latest stage of the eye-catching makeover

A stunning mural showing Newcastle United fans in celebration has been unveiled at St James' Park .

The finishing touches were being applied to the eye-catching black and white design on the corner of the Gallowgate Stand on Monday afternoon

Full article, with images and video on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...nited-16928250

KEN
Old September 17th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #2313
johnson293

Now papering over the cracks instead of just painting them!

In other news, Mr Ashley has taken out loans secured on the remainder of this seasons and next seasons TV earnings. (from documents posted on Companies House).
Old September 24th, 2019, 08:55 AM   #2314
Ken O'Heed

The latest stage of the eye-catching St James' Park makeover at south west corner - pictures 23/09/19

Quote:
Chronicle Live website article from 16/09/19

EXTRACT

The latest stage of the eye-catching St James' Park makeover unveiled

Newcastle United have commissioned a striking mural on the corner of the Gallowgate Stand as the latest stage of the eye-catching makeover

A stunning mural showing Newcastle United fans in celebration has been unveiled at St James' Park .

The finishing touches were being applied to the eye-catching black and white design on the corner of the Gallowgate Stand on Monday afternoon

Full article, with images and video on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...nited-16928250

KEN
How it used to look before the works, my picture from 20/07/19

Pictures by myself from Monday 23/09/19 approx 1115 showing the new mural and work at The Terrace Bar entrance at south west corner of St James' Park Football Ground, Newcastle

Activity on the Sir Bobby Robson statue

KEN
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #2315
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 190

As previously stated when the black paint started going on, it looks great. Well done to them for sprucing it up and giving it a bit more of a prominent feature to it.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 11:11 PM   #2316
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
As previously stated when the black paint started going on, it looks great. Well done to them for sprucing it up and giving it a bit more of a prominent feature to it.
The Gallowgate should be made a prominent feature by adding 13K seats to it.

Whilst I appreciate exactly where your coming from, I can't help but feel that this paint job is a token Ashley gesture. Hem in our stadium's future with some student accommodation quick dollar? Refuse an upgrade of our training facilities whilst first team footballers have an ice bath in a wheelie bin? Cover our stadium with Sportsdirect banners and deny us commercial revenue for your pride and joy company? Oh well, at least he's painted a wall.

I apologise for the cynicism. The hate is too ingrained to see anything else.

novonew47, Godscrasher liked this post
No Opinion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:34 AM   #2317
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2033

Peter Kenyon - New Takover Bid

Yesterday (26th September 2019) Peter Kenyon re-emerged with a seeming new bid to buy Newcastle United FC off Mike Ashley, despite his previous failed bid.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...enyon-16990258

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...chure-16990274

I'm afraid this latest (in a long line) of bids to buy Newcastle United, is likely to be as much of a 'fantasy' as all the rest.

Sells newspapers (online clicks to . . ) though, I suppose.

novonew47, tameracingdriver liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 04:41 PM   #2318
tameracingdriver

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Yesterday (26th September 2019) Peter Kenyon re-emerged with a seeming new bid to buy Newcastle United FC off Mike Ashley, despite his previous failed bid.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...enyon-16990258

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...chure-16990274

I'm afraid this latest (in a long line) of bids to buy Newcastle United, is likely to be as much of a 'fantasy' as all the rest.

Sells newspapers (online clicks to . . ) though, I suppose.
Is there anyone left on this planet who believes even a single word?!
tameracingdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 09:04 AM   #2319
johnson293

Quote:
Originally Posted by tameracingdriver View Post
Is there anyone left on this planet who believes even a single word?!
Yep... almost a year to the day since Kenyon was mentioned last, and almost two since Staveley was first seen at an NUFC match sparking takeover rumours.

All following another poor start to the season. Its the Mike Ashley annual gameplan to try and divert/deflect attention.

I'm so disinterested with NUFC now, that i even had a little chuckle when I saw sundays result.

Anyone who keeps going to matches under this regime is getting the team/club they deserve.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:32 AM   #2320
Ken O'Heed

'Felt like I was entering a fortress' - everything away supporters say about Newcastle United's St James' Park

Chronicle Live website article from 02/10/19

EXTRACT

'Felt like I was entering a fortress' - everything away supporters say about St James' Park

This is how travelling supporters have reacted to their trips to St James' Park - the home of Newcastle United

"A great day out in wonderful weather. A very friendly and welcoming place to go to and I would definitely plan to return.

"I honestly felt like I was entering a fortress. An absolute cracking away day for any football fan."

"Good God, it's enormous!" out loud! 140 steps up - not for the weak hearted, unfit, elderly fan.

And more

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...nited-16988348

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
football, historic newcastle, history, newcastle, newcastle sport, newcastle united, north east sport, soccer, sport, sports, sports stadia, sports stadium, st james' park, stadium, stadiums