Southside | Chinatown, Gay Village and Arcadian - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #61
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I don't see the problem with having a Chinese, Gay, Asian, Irish or whatever quarter.

It is not creating a ghetto, it is describing a place.
Exactly. Well said. It also creates interest and tourists. Anyway did you ever think that a lot of gay people actually want a 'gay' quarter?
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #62
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Well, just done some checking out after being prompted by another forumer, and can confirm the C/03531/07/FUL apartment block is that corner, but goes around the Big Issue building
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #63
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
Then maybe Broad Street should be changed to the Entertainment & Heterosexual Quarter??!!

I think it is ridiculous that 'gender' or 'sexual orientation' should be included in titles of city areas.
Without citing my entire Masters thesis, space is heteronormative. That is predominately conceived of a heterosexual and often without thinking of it as such. For example two men holding hands generally doesnt happen outside of less heteronormative space because of 'threat of homosexuality or 'the other' to that space.

Gay villages or scenes tend to spring up spontaneously in areas of deprivation and waste buildings where heteronormativity is weak and an identity of homosexualtiy can be created. Thats why Brum's gay village exists where it does. It is also a case of safety with a 'safety in numbers element' which allows the space to homonormative.

The thread title reflects the area that includes entertainment centre of arcadian and buzzing regeneration spot of Hurst Street and therefore also adjoining roads. The planning app was best here as its in its local area as opposed to Digbeth which people would associated more readlily with Irish Quarter. If you wanted to be really pedantic you would create a Nechells thread but most people wouldnt conceive of that unless thinking in planning wards where this area all Nechells rather than ladywood.

As for gay quarter, there is nothing wrong with that. Problem if anything is that the boundaries are porous so its a fusion of entertainment-arcadian quarter/chinese quarter/ gay quarter. It also labels an identity as much as Irish quarter. Difference does exist and a village can help to foster an identity or create a space for a community. I wouldnt want to have a gay ghetto as there is already heterophobia in the gay community and that wont help gaining gay rights.

anyway, thats my penny's worth.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #64
ShavenHeaden

Likes (Received): 0

It did always strike me as slightly ironic that the gay quarter (well it's not really large enough to be a quarter) is in amongst garages and so on - surely one of the most straight industries around.

I fear we won't see any proper changes to the area until a BID is formed. It seems previous partnerships just fall apart whether it be because of egos or competition or what, which doesn't fill me with optimism. That said they seem to be working together - well for fairy lights. Hmm.
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #65
mk61
Yep

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I don't see the problem with having a Chinese, Gay, Asian, Irish or whatever quarter.

It is not creating a ghetto, it is describing a place.
You might have a problem with a Chinese gay Asian Irish quarter though. There cant be many of those guys around.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #66
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk61 View Post
You might have a problem with a Chinese gay Asian Irish quarter though. There cant be many of those guys around.
ha ha, you've just described the mixture of me and my partner
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #67
mk61
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brum2003 View Post
ha ha, you've just described the mixture of me and my partner
Outstanding! You still cant have a quarter though - that's just greedy. Maybe a sixteenth. Maybe.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #68
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 531

Somebody can't count.. there are more than 4 quarters to Brum. We need to rename a few places as there are too many...

Jewellery Quarter
Gun Quarter
Convention Quarter
Irish Quarter
Chinese/Gay/Markets Quarter

anymore i've forgotten about?

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #69
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

I guess at a push you could include the 'learning quarter' or whatever it's going to be in Eastside. When it actually exists.
smysticed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #70
brum2003

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk61 View Post
Outstanding! You still cant have a quarter though - that's just greedy. Maybe a sixteenth. Maybe.
lol,

i wander, are there any english quarters abroad ?

brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #71
mk61
Yep

Maaaybe... where there's big concentrations of ex-pats I'd speculate.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #72
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 471

Benidorm?
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #73
Forward
ForWarD

Likes (Received): 0

Really like the size of the windows in the new Latitude development, compared to, say, something like the far smaller versions in the Orion building. The Bromsgrove street/Hurst street route is going to be a very important new artery for the city once this and other buildings have been completed.
Forward no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #74
feltip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
Somebody can't count.. there are more than 4 quarters to Brum. We need to rename a few places as there are too many...

Jewellery Quarter
Gun Quarter
Convention Quarter
Irish Quarter
Chinese/Gay/Markets Quarter

anymore i've forgotten about?
Lol. its true. Despite quarter imply one of four parts Birmingham has over 5 'quarters'.

On the gay village being amongst garages and those being very 'macho'.
Its not so much the industry as the neglect. Plus being gay doesnt mean you can't be macho too. I like to think of sexuality as a gradient from black to white and even then labels don't do justice to variety of practices and views out there. Sadly we are so easily labelled: white, black, gay, straight, single, partnered.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #75
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

nothing to do with 25%

http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/quartiers
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #76
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Don't forget there's the Technology quarter by Aston Science Park, Learning quarter MBC and Aston Uni etc etc, and the Media Quarter nearer the Custard Factory.

You could argue that there's a market quarter too - but I haven't actually heard that used yet.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #77
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3886

Business Quarter?

Did I put this picture in this thread? Don't think I did.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #78
feltip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Maybe not here but QUARTER can imply one of four if you want to be pedantic

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/quarter

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #79
feltip

On the planning app for corner of Bristol St and Essex Street, it seems they have updated website. Sadly no pictures but a traffic report. Makes it a bit clearer where it is too.

6-12 Bristol Street / 31-38 Essex Street, Corner of, Nechells, Birmingham, B5

SITE LOCATION
2.1.1 The proposed development site is located within Birmingham city centre is bounded on four sides by Essex Street to the North, a private access and a proposed mixed use development to the East, commercial and retail interests to the South and Bristol Street to the West. The site is close to one of the main retail and leisure centres of Birmingham and the area is generally a mix of residential, retail and commercial interests.

2.1.2 The proposed development site is currently occupied by a prestige car showroom, redundant warehouse/storage units and miscellaneous commercial properties of which the majority are unoccupied. The prestige car showroom has pedestrian access from Essex Street, with vehicular access gained via a private access. The warehouse/storage units have vehicular and pedestrian access from Essex Street with the former being via a simple dropped kerb arrangement. The remaining commercial properties fro$nting Essex Street all have pedestrian access, but no vehicular access.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #80
mk61
Yep

next door to i-land isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement