California's Best And Worst Mid-Sized City Downtowns - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #101
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 241

When I lived in San Diego, its downtown had few high rises at that time and added so many new buildings since early 1990s. It is amazing to see how much San Diego have been grown since then. I would love to see downtown San Diego to start build taller than 500' and it would nice to have few supertalls too. I fail to see why can't San Diego to increase the height limitation since planes are not fly over them only pass by.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #102
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
In terms of fun, you can't even compare downtown San Diego with LA... San Diego wins hands down. It's a better designed downtown filled with vibrancy.
More fun and vibrant? Yes. Better designed? That's debatable.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #103
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Their flight path goes by downtown, not over it.
The flight path goes over Little Italy, which is in downtown. So it does go over downtown
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #104
SDfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
When I lived in San Diego, its downtown had few high rises at that time and added so many new buildings since early 1990s. It is amazing to see how much San Diego have been grown since then. I would love to see downtown San Diego to start build taller than 500' and it would nice to have few supertalls too. I fail to see why can't San Diego to increase the height limitation since planes are not fly over them only pass by.
From my own knowledge, there needs to be an emergency turn path of some sort and since the airport is so close to the city, anything over 500' would come into conflict with that emergency plan. In all honesty, that doesn't make much sense for the East Village at least. Core-Culumbia, fine. But to restirct the entire downtown area is ridiculous. I just wish we had someone, or some developer who would ask for a variance. They could start the request now since the economy is down and by the time it picks up, guess whos building a new tallest in SD?...All I'm asking for is at least is 750'. Supertalls would be a stretch, but 750' is the average for a city with some distinction...
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #105
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
From my own knowledge, there needs to be an emergency turn path of some sort and since the airport is so close to the city, anything over 500' would come into conflict with that emergency plan. In all honesty, that doesn't make much sense for the East Village at least. Core-Culumbia, fine. But to restirct the entire downtown area is ridiculous. I just wish we had someone, or some developer who would ask for a variance. They could start the request now since the economy is down and by the time it picks up, guess whos building a new tallest in SD?...All I'm asking for is at least is 750'. Supertalls would be a stretch, but 750' is the average for a city with some distinction...
Yeah. 750' towers would be great too. Some people in San Diego should push city councils to make some changes with downtown height restriction to make it happen.
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #106
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
The flight path goes over Little Italy, which is in downtown. So it does go over downtown
You're splitting hairs. The buildings out the window show that the planes go past them, not over them. That's my point, not the neighborhood boundaries.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #107
SDfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You're splitting hairs. The buildings out the window show that the planes go past them, not over them. That's my point, not the neighborhood boundaries.
Tomato vs Tomato I suppose.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #108
SDfan

Quote:
Yeah. 750' towers would be great too. Some people in San Diego should push city councils to make some changes with downtown height restriction to make it happen.
What's sad is that the actual downtown plan allows for buildings as high as 750'. Its just the FAA has final juristiction. Quite sad indeed.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #109
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
What's sad is that the actual downtown plan allows for buildings as high as 750'. Its just the FAA has final juristiction. Quite sad indeed.
Yeah. San Diego is not alone on this case with FAA. Seattle, Las Vegas, and some US cities have similar problems with FAA about height.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #110
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat View Post
i love downtown Walnut Creek. is that midsized? 72,000 ppl?

Walnut Creek is really a suburb rather than a city. It's very upscale & has the nicest retail center in the East Bay, with most of the most exclusive retailers represented

Sadly though, Walnut Creek's retail rise came primarily at the expense of downtown Oakland.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #111
Bob24

Likes (Received): 0

San Diego doesn't need taller buildings. Taller buildings would only block views, reduce sunlight, and detract from what makes San Diego's downtown so unique. Which is to say, San Diego is a big city with a small town feel.
Bob24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #112
CrazyAboutCities

If you don't like taller buildings... What are you doing here? This website is fan site for skyscrapers lovers.
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #113
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
If you don't like taller buildings... What are you doing here? This website is fan site for skyscrapers lovers.
He said "taller," not "tall." Sit down and have a drink or something, guy.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #114
SDfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
San Diego doesn't need taller buildings. Taller buildings would only block views, reduce sunlight, and detract from what makes San Diego's downtown so unique. Which is to say, San Diego is a big city with a small town feel.
I really don't like this mentality. San Diego is never going to grow into its own with people who want to keep its "small town feel". What I find funny is that I never get this feeling walking the actual city. Maybe if you're in a hamlet in Del Mar, or off in a country club in Rancho Bernardo, but this small town thinking needs to end because it doesn't exist today.

Pretty much old transplants from the midwest like to talk about San Diego's "small town feel". They are the same people who stop projects and progress that would enhance the city's economy, culture, and relevance to the world.

Three million people live in this region, and if we keep clinging to "small town feel" we're not going to be able to support them and the next million to follow.

No personal offence, I just get annoyed with this outdated argument against progress (ie taller building, etc...).
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #115
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

Would it be even remotely feasible for San Diego to build an artificial, offshore airport like Hong Kong's, so Lindbergh can be closed and the FAA limits over downtown lifted? Not that that's the only reason to build an airport. Can't use Miramar, can't use Brown Field, can't use North Island, Lindy's too small, why not use the continental shelf? Faultlines?
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #116
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Would it be even remotely feasible for San Diego to build an artificial, offshore airport like Hong Kong's...
My guess is no =)
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #117
JJC80

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That is not in downtown Bakersfield. That is in Stockdale (Bakersfield suburbs).
That is the Stockdale Tower on California avenue just west of highway 99. Not too far from downtown (a few miles west) but certainly not in downtown.
JJC80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:27 AM   #118
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJC80 View Post
That is the Stockdale Tower on California avenue just west of highway 99. Not too far from downtown (a few miles west) but certainly not in downtown.
I know that. That's what I tried to say.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM   #119
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 477

Pasadena eh

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #120
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMileSidewalk View Post
Would it be even remotely feasible for San Diego to build an artificial, offshore airport like Hong Kong's, so Lindbergh can be closed and the FAA limits over downtown lifted? Not that that's the only reason to build an airport. Can't use Miramar, can't use Brown Field, can't use North Island, Lindy's too small, why not use the continental shelf? Faultlines?
Offshore airports are far beyond whats remotley possible in the US, this isn't China!

I'm sure there's plenty of space in eastern San Diego County to build a new airport, if they really wanted it. But given San Diego's location in the far southwest corner, its never been a big airline destination, like Denver or Dallas, which have built new airports in recent decadeas. Probably wouldn't be worth the many billions required to build a new airport.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement