LONDON - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium / New White Hart Lane (62,214) - Page 4398 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
The KSS design 81 16.23%
The Populous design 418 83.77%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9th, 2019, 06:12 PM   #87941
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 7915

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrooster81 View Post
Thought I’d share this from Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...gue-club-video

Boehly owns the LA Dodgers and is waxing lyrical about why the Premier League and its teams is the best product in the world.

Sharing this as reading between the lines when talking about buying a PL team he is clearly talking about Spurs, or at least looking to replicate Tottenham.

He talks about the stadiums and how they are now built using the US model to keep fans longer, increase the economics, etc.

AFAIK Spurs are the only team with a stadium leveraging the US model.
Honestly don't know too much about this bloke. From what I read he owns 20% of the Dodgers, rather than the whole franchise. Also don't see him mentioned on the Forbes rich list.

Interesting article on him here from a few months back:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....ham-bid-report

Quote:
Boehly currently holds a 20 per cent stake in Major League Baseball’s LA Dodgers, who are valued at $3.3b by Forbes. While the Dodgers have been a model organization in recent years in terms of investment and success on the field, the majority owners of the Los Angeles-based franchise, Guggenheim Partners, have no apparent ties to this potential new enterprise — either through Boehly himself, who is their former president, or through his current investment company, Eldridge Industries.

What is known is that Boehly’s investment firm is valued at only $6b, according to Barron’s, and that while he is the controlling investor, it is unclear how much of those assets are truly his to leverage since “90% of Eldridge is owned substantially by a partnership between Boehly and Swiss billionaire Hansjörg Wyss”.
If his investment firm is worth $6b you would think Levy & Lewis would be looking for a significant percentage of that for Spurs as a whole. Not sure he can afford that. I could see him more as a minority stakeholder, as he is at the Dodgers.

Flashspur liked this post
LAYiddo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #87942
bigrooster81

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYiddo View Post
Honestly don't know too much about this bloke. From what I read he owns 20% of the Dodgers, rather than the whole franchise. Also don't see him mentioned on the Forbes rich list.

Interesting article on him here from a few months back:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....ham-bid-report

If his investment firm is worth $6b you would think Levy & Lewis would be looking for a significant percentage of that for Spurs as a whole. Not sure he can afford that. I could see him more as a minority stakeholder, as he is at the Dodgers.

Yeah he mentioned looking into a minority stake, saying you need to pay a premium, getting a low but consistent rate of return.
bigrooster81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #87943
camaj

Likes (Received): 514

Just saw a video on the official Twitter account promoting the NFL tour and I noticed that they've got the east stand tunnel open in the video. At first I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't the west stand but I went back and there's an overhead shot and you can clearly see both east and west stand tunnels are open. So the first time we've seen that since they put the terracing on over a year ago!
camaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #87944
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj View Post
Just saw a video on the official Twitter account promoting the NFL tour and I noticed that they've got the east stand tunnel open in the video. At first I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't the west stand but I went back and there's an overhead shot and you can clearly see both east and west stand tunnels are open. So the first time we've seen that since they put the terracing on over a year ago!
Fairly sure that overhead shot is from a while back, not any time recently.
LAYiddo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 06:19 PM   #87945
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Interesting interview with Fran Jones regarding the naming rights. I had the pleasure of meeting him in Los Angeles a few year back. Nice bloke:

https://twitter.com/SportsPro/status...463754240?s=20
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:12 PM   #87946
RobH

Likes (Received): 16684

Wonder what kind of crowd we'll get for this:

Quote:
Women's Super League fixtures including a north London derby at the new 62,000-capacity Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will form the basis of the first Women's Football Weekend in November.

The Football Association says the event, to take place on 16-17 November during the men's international break, will become an annual attraction and seek to capitalise on the growing popularity of the women's game.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49659280
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #87947
flierfy

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Wonder what kind of crowd we'll get for this: ...
I do wonder this myself. My hope is a 5-digit-number. My fear is that the majority of those will wear a red shirt.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:06 PM   #87948

Likes (Received): 1759

Early days but the new alterations at WHL station really worked well I thought. The station now feels part of the national rail family rather than a dingy outcast from the suburbs. Everything on-brand, nice wide stair cases, bright, airly feeling welcoming, obvious crowd flows for peak, good signage, nice to have lifts for step free access, lots more access to and from the platforms, all really good. I mean OK Spurs have knocked down and rebuilt an entire stadium in the time its taken National Rail to throw a bit of concrete and glass over a couple of railway arches but still let's tip our hat where it's deserved.
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:06 PM   #87949

"Then and now".

48k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 11:09 PM   #87950
Basil_BeDemented

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48k View Post
Early days but the new alterations at WHL station really worked well I thought. The station now feels part of the national rail family rather than a dingy outcast from the suburbs. Everything on-brand, nice wide stair cases, bright, airly feeling welcoming, obvious crowd flows for peak, good signage, nice to have lifts for step free access, lots more access to and from the platforms, all really good. I mean OK Spurs have knocked down and rebuilt an entire stadium in the time its taken National Rail to throw a bit of concrete and glass over a couple of railway arches but still let's tip our hat where it's deserved.
Apologies for straggling of topic a bit here.

Are there plans to renovate the exterior of the now not used part?

It's possible just me but I like a lot of the brick work on the older buildings in Tottenham, I like the refurbed railway arches. Once you remove the unnecessary add-ons accumulated over the years (satellite dishes, horrible cabling, crap repairs etc) they scrub up well IMHO the tower blocks look dreadful but there's no reason Tottenham can't look quite decent given funding and the right companies to do the work.

Another building I think could look nice restored is this one (and the two to it's right next to sainbury's) I'm not overly familiar with the area so excuse me if my suggestions sound stupid.

Google maps currently* does some funky things, went on street view outside the New West stand, clicked on the yellow person in the mini map by accident and ended up pitch side in the old stadium, clicked again and ended up inside the new stadium on champions league night. Pretty cool (I've no idea if it's 100% geo accurate) who knew?

*It's probably always done it and I'm just slow on the uptake again lol

To keep on topic anyone know what the hold up was/is regard demolishing those on Worcester ave and completing the coach park?
Basil_BeDemented no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 12:14 PM   #87951
haventaclue

Likes (Received): 609

Re renovating the exterior of old WHL station, there's a housing shortage in N17 turn it into a couple of flats and make a few pounds for TFL

Basil_BeDemented liked this post
haventaclue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 01:01 PM   #87952
NeilCarter

Likes (Received): 6496

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48k View Post
"Then and now".

Looking back at yer....

Old September 18th, 2019, 11:50 AM   #87953
flierfy

The GA areas are packed out, yet the corporates sections show lots of empty seats. That looks to me, as if there is an issue with selling them. But regardless of the economic side of it, patches of empty seats just don't look good.
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:38 PM   #87954
JimB

Likes (Received): 7451

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The GA areas are packed out, yet the corporates sections show lots of empty seats. That looks to me, as if there is an issue with selling them. But regardless of the economic side of it, patches of empty seats just don't look good.
From what I understand, the corporate hospitality is pretty much sold out.

You can see from the scoreboard that that photo was taken at kick off. It is, alas, quite common for those enjoying corporate hospitality to be late to their seats. Very possible that they are still finishing their lunch!

I also know that some box holders don’t attend or fill their box for every game. Much like general admission season ticket holders, in fact.

LAYiddo, NeilCarter, doogspur liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #87955
Steve T

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post

Look at the time on the clock on the screen. Look at the players in the centre circle. The photograph was taken just before the game kicked off. Those corporate seats aren't empty because they didn't sell. They're empty because their occupants have not yet emerged from their pre match drinks and food.

RobH, NeilCarter liked this post
Steve T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 02:33 PM   #87956
BathY

Likes (Received): 842

The issue with the premium areas is not only is the food fantastic and people are finishing off their drinks before the game, but 15 minutes before the game the blinds are put down and all the way through half time the blinds are down, so it is very easy to lose track of the time and when the game starts.

Personally I think they should put out a 2 or 3 minute call before the start of the match or start of the second half.

LAYiddo liked this post
BathY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 05:29 PM   #87957
jennahaze

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathY View Post
The issue with the premium areas is not only is the food fantastic and people are finishing off their drinks before the game, but 15 minutes before the game the blinds are put down and all the way through half time the blinds are down, so it is very easy to lose track of the time and when the game starts.

Personally I think they should put out a 2 or 3 minute call before the start of the match or start of the second half.
Oh the other half live!

although surely you can hear the music from when the teams go on the pitch?
jennahaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #87958
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
From what I understand, the corporate hospitality is pretty much sold out.

You can see from the scoreboard that that photo was taken at kick off. It is, alas, quite common for those enjoying corporate hospitality to be late to their seats. Very possible that they are still finishing their lunch!

I also know that some box holders don’t attend or fill their box for every game. Much like general admission season ticket holders, in fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
Look at the time on the clock on the screen. Look at the players in the centre circle. The photograph was taken just before the game kicked off. Those corporate seats aren't empty because they didn't sell. They're empty because their occupants have not yet emerged from their pre match drinks and food.
That has nothing to do with the game clock. Those seats in block 003 stayed empty all game long. It won't be much different for the others seats, presumably.
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:34 AM   #87959

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennahaze View Post
Oh the other half live!

although surely you can hear the music from when the teams go on the pitch?
Speaking as a Lower East Side corporate seat holder.....nope. You're down in the bowels of the stadium, cocooned in hundreds of tonnes of steel and concrete. You hear diddly squat from the bowl. You have to keep your eye on the screens and/or your watch to know when teams are coming out. If you're downstairs in the Lower East Side basement (ie NFL pitch level) you need to join the queue shuffling upstairs to join one of the other queues shuffling towards one of the three doors that they open to let you in to the bowl.

That said, the pic that flierfy is referring to I agree that empty block of seats looks more like a group not turned up / staying in hospitality rather than individuals being late to take their seats which is a real shame particularly now the TV cameras are on the west stand.

Last edited by 48k; September 19th, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
48k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:05 AM   #87960
EJG

Likes (Received): 13392

Report about the stadium debt refinancing on the official web site:

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new...truction-debt/

The Club today (Friday 20 September) closed its refinancing of the loans put in place to support the construction of our new stadium.

• The Club has completed a £637m multi tranche, long term financing anchored by a Private Placement and new bank facilities.
• A first time issuer in the US Private Placement market, the Club raised £525m of finance and was significantly oversubscribed and supported by several highly established international institutional investors.
• The refinancing successfully extends the longest debt maturities to 30 years.
• The average maturity of the total debt package of £637m is 23 years and the weighted average coupon, including the new bank facilities, is 2.66%.
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch acted as the Lead Placement Agent and Sole Bookrunner, with HSBC serving as a Co Placement Agent for the Private Placement.
• Bank of America Merrill Lynch provided a £112m term loan to complete the refinancing, with HSBC providing an additional revolving facility.
• As part of the financing the Club obtained a strong investment grade credit rating from two agencies.

The Club's strong profile globally realised extensive support and oversubscription from a range of leading Private Placement investors actively supporting the sports sector.

The success of the refinancing demonstrates the confidence held by the market in the Club's overall strategy including:

• The strong year-on-year financial performances of the Club, one of only three English Premier League (EPL) teams to have been consistently profitable since the inception of the Premier League.
• Strong performances in the EPL and Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), having qualified for European competitions in 13 of the last 14 seasons and making the Champions League Final in 2019.
• Delivery of the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, one of the world's best multi-use stadiums, which includes Europe's only purpose-built National Football League (NFL) venue.
• World class training facilities to support the first team and ongoing youth development.

The proceeds from the issue will be used to repay the short-term bank debt which was raised during the construction phase of the stadium from Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BofAML), Goldman Sachs and HSBC Bank plc (HSBC).

The refinancing has successfully repositioned the Club's balance sheet by extending the debt maturities with the longest maturities out to 30 years, lowering and fixing financing costs, positively impacting annual cash flow and adding financial flexibility for years to come. The average maturity of the total debt package of £637m is 23 years and the weighted average coupon, including the bank facilities is 2.66%.

The Club were advised on the financing by Rothschild & Co.

Daniel Levy, Club Chairman, said: "We have continued to develop Tottenham Hotspur in line with prudent financial management and investment into the Club's key infrastructure and our fast-growing global brand, successfully matching long-term assets with long-term financing. It is a tribute to the team on and off the pitch that we have achieved what is considered to be one of the most attractive financing deals in the world of sport. Our Club is extremely well positioned as we move forward delivering the excitement and entertainment of Premier League and Champions League football, NFL, rugby, concerts and much more."

Commenting, Elliott McCabe, Managing Director in Bank of America Merrill Lynch's Sports Finance & Advisory Group, said: "The management team of THFC continue to position the Club for long term success by growing the brand through ongoing investment, particularly in relation to the iconic new stadium. This is reflected in the strong market reception met by Tottenham Hotspur as a first-time issuer in the Private Placement market."
Advertisement

Tags
england, football, hotspurs, populous, soccer, spurs, stadium, tottenham