Greater Birmingham - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #21
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

Definitely. I think it'd be easier for overseas business to identify with.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #22
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1956

Of course!! The name is also the wrong description. The real West Midlands would be Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire. We are central and the urban sprawl is a collection of boroughs where Birmingham is the dominant city. Any other area in the UK or in any other country would never dream of being so accommodating and trying not to offend the adjacent boroughs. Solihull is an unofficial SE suburb, Walsall a N suburb while the rest of the Black Country being NW suburbs of a Greater Birmingham - get over it and then we can all move on under one simple name.
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #23
adamdalziel
Adam

Likes (Received): 6

To be honest, I think of it as greater birmingham anyway. The west mids to me is a region, not a city, like the north west or south east. I think they've branded brum and the urban area as the 'west midlands conurbation area' to appease everyone but it's just not very marketable. In my opinion, I think they'll eventually go with greater brum, makes sense.
adamdalziel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #24
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3886

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Any other area in the UK or in any other country would never dream of being so accommodating and trying not to offend the adjacent boroughs.
Merseyside, Humberside,West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear.

The only one that dosn't* is well, I think we all know where.

*well not that Liverpool, Hull, Birmingham, Shffield or Newcastle had much say in it.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"

Pietari liked this post
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #25
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3284

Has anyone ever thought that a lot of people who live 10 miles away simply don't want to be associated with the Birmingham name? Not only is it a different city but it isn't always the most fashionable or attractive name to be associated with.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #26
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Has anyone ever thought that a lot of people who live 10 miles away simply don't want to be associated with the Birmingham name? Not only is it a different city but it isn't always the most fashionable or attractive name to be associated with.
You're right. The area should be called Greater Gornals.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #27
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Well, you say that but people do choose to move to this area to get away from the big cities and would probably prefer the above name.
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #28
daumal

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
You're right. The area should be called Greater Gornals.
Lower Gornal, Upper Gornal and Outer Gornal...
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #29
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
Lower Gornal, Upper Gornal and Outer Gornal...
What about Inner Gornal, Greater Gornal, Lesser Gornal, Middle Gornal, ******s-and-Peas-by-Gornal?
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #30
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 270

Gornalhul, Gornal Coldfield, Gornaley, Gornalsall, Gornalhampton, Gornalston, Gornalville, Gornalford, Gornal Barr... the possibilities are endless!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #31
NeilM
That's Dr to you

They are indeed: Gornalborne, Gornalwick, Gornalwell, Gornal Heath, Gornalbrook, Gornalton, Gornal Oaks, Little Gornal, Gornalfield, Gornal Norton, Gornal Hall, Gornal Green, Gornal Bank, Gornalwood...
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #32
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
Gornalwood...
There's already a Gornalwood/Gornal Wood - it's where the legendary Crooked House is.
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #33
daj

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Well, you say that but people do choose to move to this area to get away from the big cities and would probably prefer the above name.
If people are moving to the Black Country where Lower Gornal is, they are moving to an area that has a name as equally poorly perceived as Birmingham!
daj está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #34
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by daj View Post
If people are moving to the Black Country where Lower Gornal is, they are moving to an area that has a name as equally poorly perceived as Birmingham!
True. I'm not keen on the name "The Black Country" as an official title, other than for historical reasons, as it's rather misleading these days when there's not much industry around and half the Black Country is actually green now. At least "The Potteries" sounds... cute, or something.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #35
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Quote:
There's already a Gornalwood/Gornal Wood - it's where the legendary Crooked House is.
Oh well, didn't know that, only really heard of Gornal and Lower Gornal.

Last edited by NeilM; June 25th, 2011 at 12:56 AM.
NeilM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #36
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16963

Quote:

And being called the West Midlands is fashionable and attractive ??????
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #37
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1956

The Black Country is the urban sprawl of Western Birmingham - to say you live in Dudley, Butters, is fine but don't you feel like you're some product of a 1970s experiment when you have to add "the West Midlands" to your address?? The name is meaningless and disparaging and also gives someone from Wolverhampton a vague crappy identity as someone from Knowle at the complete opposite end of the conurbation. Don't you see?? It doesn't mean anything!!!! And of course the regional West Midlands could be anywhere between Ross on Wye to Rugby to Stoke!!! Yet by using something like Greater Birmingham / Birmingham City Region it gives you an identity to a particular part of the UK.
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #38
LNGCats
BANNED

Likes (Received): 573

Nobody in Greater Manchester consiously thinks or says that they are from Greater Manchester.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #39
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
And being called the West Midlands is fashionable and attractive ??????
It's fine for the name of the region but not for a supposed county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
The Black Country is the urban sprawl of Western Birmingham - to say you live in Dudley, Butters, is fine but don't you feel like you're some product of a 1970s experiment when you have to add "the West Midlands" to your address?? The name is meaningless and disparaging and also gives someone from Wolverhampton a vague crappy identity as someone from Knowle at the complete opposite end of the conurbation. Don't you see?? It doesn't mean anything!!!! And of course the regional West Midlands could be anywhere between Ross on Wye to Rugby to Stoke!!! Yet by using something like Greater Birmingham / Birmingham City Region it gives you an identity to a particular part of the UK.
We lost any identity in 1974 when our towns were taken out of the traditional counties and grouped together under one strange fake "county" name. I have absolutely nothing against Birmingham as my local big city but I'd just prefer a separate identity - believe it or not, there's more to our area than just Birmingham and as I already said it doesn't always strike up the nicest image - which isn't great when you're not even from that city. Maybe once Birmingham itself gets a better reputation its neighbours won't mind being associated with it quite so much.
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #40
Brum X

Likes (Received): 16963

We lost any identity in 1974 when our towns were taken out of the traditional counties and grouped together under one strange fake "county" name. I have absolutely nothing against Birmingham as my local big city but I'd just prefer a separate identity - believe it or not, there's more to our area than just Birmingham and as I already said it doesn't always strike up the nicest image - which isn't great when you're not even from that city. Maybe once Birmingham itself gets a better reputation its neighbours won't mind being associated with it quite so much.[/QUOTE]

GREATER SOLIHULL
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement