Greater Birmingham - Page 352 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM   #7021
Planey28

Likes (Received): 374

I doubt it as 90% of people outside of this forum likely donít give a toss what the county is called

leonigmig, djay, Hasaandoo, Rijowhi liked this post
Planey28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2019, 09:59 PM   #7022
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Leading on from the Tourism for Brum / WM thread and Rijo's idea of the county name I'll throw this one out there
So there is confusion between the region and the county so let's potentially split the conurbation into 3 counties:
1) Rename the Birmingham area as County Birmingham.
2) Any of the boroughs to the west of Brum rename the county as the awkward sounding Central West Midlands West.
3) Any boroughs to the east of Brum rename the county as the awkward sounding Central West Midlands East.
Would be funny to see those citizens and businesses be forced to use those names and how ridiculous they truly are - would there be a revolt?
You're more obsessed over this than I am!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #7023
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1974

I was being ironic and it was a hypothetical situation at how far citizens outside of Brum would go to not being associated with the city if the county name eventually changed

Rijowhi liked this post
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2019, 12:56 AM   #7024
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmus dazmussen View Post
And i think greater Birmingham would probably be the best term to describe the conurbations incorporated around brum, although there's confusion around which areas should be included and would want to be included.
Here's my idea: The city of Birmingham alone can become "Greater Birmingham" if that's the "great" name it so desperately wants, while the rest of us become an official Black Country and/or return to the historic counties. Then everyone's happy.

I'm pretty sure the "Greater Birmingham" name is of little interest outside of the actual city of Birmingham, funnily enough.
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:19 AM   #7025
blueboy

Likes (Received): 481

It's all about "selling" the area better. West Midlands means nothing to anybody, even us living in it, what's more alluring, Greater Birmingham or West Midlands Combined Authority?
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:21 AM   #7026
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I wish we didn't have to destroy the naming of our region to have so "sell" the area better. I accept the West Midlands (conurbation) name as it covers every part equally and the individual parts can promote themselves, or as one. But I'd do away with any singular naming for the conurbation and promote the whole West Midlands region, from Shakespeare to the Potteries and everything in between.

That said, I'm also not totally against "Birmingham and the Black Country" if the conurbation has to be named. But then what about Solihull? ...And possibly Wolverhampton.... and Sutton Coldfield....
Old September 11th, 2019, 08:00 AM   #7027
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 595

Birmingham is the second largest city in the country. Black Country, Solihull, Wolverhampton and Sutton Coldfield are just areas in the city's locale

Its Birmingham that has the games, the HS2 link, the towers being built

I think your arguments only ever worked Butterfield as the reputation of the city had been so damaged, but now things are turning a corner

Rijowhi, Hasaandoo, morestoreysplease liked this post
leonigmig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:40 PM   #7028
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonigmig View Post
Black Country, Solihull, Wolverhampton and Sutton Coldfield are just areas in the city's locale
What a rather naive comment! Is that really all you see the surrounding towns (and cities) as? Yes, Birmingham is the biggest city in the region, but those are not "just areas" of Birmingham, and it's comments like that which are totally detrimental to your cause, ironically leading to more division. Be proud to live/work in a region of many different and unique cities and towns! THAT is what we should be promoting.

Quote:
Its Birmingham that has the games, the HS2 link, the towers being built
Good! I openly support further success for Birmingham as I do with anywhere else in our region - but that should not mean the whole area gets renamed with that one city's name.

Quote:
I think your arguments only ever worked Butterfield as the reputation of the city had been so damaged, but now things are turning a corner
Whether Birmingham is successful or unsuccessful, popular or unpopular, I and many other locals outside of the city do not want its name to stretch even further. I'm not a glory hunter. I don't want London's name either and I'd guess neither do you, even if/when HS2 arrives and Birmingham simply becomes a commuter town for the capital.

After these comments I'm going to raise my Black Country flag that little bit higher this afternoon.

jonnys liked this post
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:24 PM   #7029
leonigmig

Likes (Received): 595

Its not a remotely naive point, you just disagree with it.

Of course these are areas in Birmingham's locale, by definition. And you misrepresent me by calling them areas of Birmingham, they are not. And nobody thinks any town, city or area should renamed, just a very particular usage of the "West Midlands" in devolved government and marketing.

I think one ad hominem and two misrepsentantations show you are on a sticky wicket.

Good luck to you, fly the Black Country flag high!

Hasaandoo, Kingsheathen liked this post
leonigmig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #7030
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2633

Can Ralph just lock this thread. It's a pointless and cyclical argument repeated every 2 or 3 months.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 06:01 PM   #7031
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Here's my idea: The city of Birmingham alone can become "Greater Birmingham" if that's the "great" name it so desperately wants, while the rest of us become an official Black Country and/or return to the historic counties. Then everyone's happy.

I'm pretty sure the "Greater Birmingham" name is of little interest outside of the actual city of Birmingham, funnily enough.
Interestingly, the existing Birmingham already is Greater Birmingham due the Greater Birmingham Act of 1911 https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...er-fire-155471

I wonder if this is the reason it wasn't used for the name of the county back in the 70s.

Rijowhi, leonigmig liked this post
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 06:28 PM   #7032
Rijowhi
@rijowhi on Twitter

Likes (Received): 127

Greater Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
Interestingly, the existing Birmingham already is Greater Birmingham due the Greater Birmingham Act of 1911 https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...er-fire-155471

I wonder if this is the reason it wasn't used for the name of the county back in the 70s.

Very interesting. Iím surprised Birmingham City Council hasnít become Greater Birmingham Council then! The West Midlands Combined Authority could then become Greater Birmingham & West Midlands (a title Iíve seen used elsewhere) CA instead...and we would ALL benefit by people knowing where we are due to people knowing Birmingham, I mean Greater Birmingham.

If independence is given Sutton Coldfield then the West Midlands (County) could would wrap around the City of Greater Birmingham like Bacon around Sausage (Pigs In Blankets) on Christmas Day. Yum!

leonigmig, Kingsheathen liked this post

Last edited by Rijowhi; September 11th, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Rijowhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 06:32 PM   #7033
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonigmig View Post
Its not a remotely naive point, you just disagree with it.

Of course these are areas in Birmingham's locale, by definition. And you misrepresent me by calling them areas of Birmingham, they are not. And nobody thinks any town, city or area should renamed, just a very particular usage of the "West Midlands" in devolved government and marketing.

I think one ad hominem and two misrepsentantations show you are on a sticky wicket.

Good luck to you, fly the Black Country flag high!
I apologise if I misinterpreted some of your comments, it can be a difficult job on here sometimes when it feels like it's one person against about 30 people. And I certainly always try to respect the fact people have different opinions on this. But my points pretty much still stand, as they have done for the last 11 years in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Can Ralph just lock this thread. It's a pointless and cyclical argument repeated every 2 or 3 months.
The current conversation was transferred over from another thread this time. I wouldn't mind if this thread was locked, as long as no one ever mentions the naming of our region ever again. It can be tiring reading and writing the same arguments each time. But it's rarely me who restarts the conversation as I'm happy enough with the setup as it currently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post

That's interesting. So basically what is now the city of Birmingham is/was already Greater Birmingham. I have no problem with that, as long as that's exactly where the name stays.

jonnys liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement