Greenwich Peninsula £8.4bn regeneration | Greenwich | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #41
henry

Likes (Received): 8

On Foreign Office architects new website there are some picture of the Ravensbourne college currently under construction next to the dome. Looks exciting. Link.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2008, 10:56 AM   #42
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

The FOA design is great henry but unfortunately there's no sign of construction starting yet. The site was empty when I visited yesterday.

The building currently U/C is Farrell's TFL building I think;

Because the TFL building is actually two separate buildings this has lead to people thinking Ravensbourne is U/C as well. You can see from this render on the hoardings how it is split into two blocks;

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of development going on around the Dome and was hoping for more to have started by now.

To make up for it I had a look at the residential development that's taken place a bit further south on the peninsula around John Harrison Way. Some excellent new buildings are going up here;

Old August 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #43
london lad

Likes (Received): 3671

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of development going on around the Dome and was hoping for more to have started by now.
I find the whole peninsula development an incompetent and badly managed opportunity. All the infrastructure such as a tube & bus station, roads & greenery have been in place since 1999 with a massive housing boom across London & the Uk during the years since with people crying out for housing. Yet nothing was built since ( bar a couple of extra phases of the millennium village) & developments only went in for planning in the last 18mths. Half of this peninsula should be developed by now but now we will have to wait god knows how long as the housing market has crashed. I just hope by 2012 with Olympic events being held here that it wont still be a windswept barren location.

Bit surprised the college isn't U/C yet. Wonder what the hold up is.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM   #44
fitz44

Agreed - I visited the place in 2000 and was surprised how little it had changed. If anything the erection of lots of hoardings parcelling up the plots has hemmed the area in. You used to be able to walk right around the Dome and enjoy the views. Not possible now, all blocked off.
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #45
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

Oh Ravensbourne College is not u/c...I was so confident it would be by now!

@London Lad
Greed, retention or how to make prices artificially higher. So London. Planners should be given the right to impose delivery targets when they grant planning permissions.
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #46
fitz44

Well from what I could see above the hoardings Manuel -no cranes, piling rigs etc - just fresh air!
Old September 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #47
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10507

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
You used to be able to walk right around the Dome and enjoy the views.
You still can. The river is completely accessible.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM   #48
fitz44

Ah that must have been the small gap down to the water-ferry then. The main square in front of the Dome entrance feels very enclosed by hoardings on both sides. Visually, as you stand in the square you're not aware of the river at all.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM   #49
Urban Spurt
4-rum *****

Likes (Received): 2

hello, this is my first post on this forum and by the looks of all the topics I could probably spend a good 12 hours posting on all the fascinating things being discussed already! I found the forum by doing a search for Eric Khune (maybe another time to raise that connection).

There's no intro forum for members so I'll just mention that I'm a chartered landscape architect and urban designer with 12 years experience who initially started in private consultancy both here and overseas and then spent 3 years working in a couple of london government quangos. One quango was joined voluntarily and was a fascinating place to work, the other wasn't joined voluntary and I'll leave it at that.

Anyways, Greenwich. In the past I was asked for comments on this scheme and I was concerned the original integrity of the Farrells master plan was being eroded through piecemeal development by developers and poor planning enforcement. Additionally, I and others were very concerned that there still remains a very real health and safety risk in the event that the dome needs to be evacuated in a terrorist emergency. There are only very limited access routes in and out of the peninsula, one minor strike to the access roads to cut them off and one major strike followed by a second strike during the ensuing panic to the dome itself during a popular event and there would be carnage.

I guess the point I want to make is that its all very well having a lot of attractive buildings but my personal frustration with this development is that I think there's poor enforcement and secondly I think the spaces between the buildings are being treated as an after thought.
Urban Spurt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #50
DarJoLe

From Peter Gasston on flickr:

image hosted on flickr
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #51
henry

A few new renders of the FLACQ scheme:

The text that goes with it:

Part of the Greenwich Peninsula Masterplan this mixed tenure residential building provides 300 units and is situated between North Greenwich Station and the Riverboat Pontoon.

A rind of townhouses at street level, with apartment blocks rising to 23 storeys. Roof gardens, raised courtyards and balconies create a range of external spaces from which to enjoy the riverside setting, with landscaping responding to the local environment: a graduated planting scheme leading from the exposed riverside setting to the sheltered courtyard spaces at second level.

The design makes reference to its riverside location, from a colour palette derived from river vessels to the shapes of stacked shipping containers.

Client: Crest Nicholson / MDL
Stages: A-L
Value: £55M
Old September 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #52
Urban Spurt
4-rum *****

Likes (Received): 2

I believe Whitelaw Turkington are doing the urban design around this development?
Urban Spurt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #53
delores

Likes (Received): 809

not sure about the inspiration from shipping containers....what a load of crap. But i do like the designs. I really think Greenwich is going to be quiet a special place one day. I am dismayed by the lack of trees though, it just looks too windswept there.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM   #54
potto

Likes (Received): 12126

Im liking the cladding on the TFL building
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM   #55
london lad

Likes (Received): 3671

Plot M0116, Greenwich Peninsula

C. F. Møller Architects won the commission for a high-density housing development, scheduled to be one of the first apartment blocks built on the post-industrial land south of the Millennium Dome. The building massing has been largely dictated by the Masterplan for the Greenwich Peninsula. The brief calls for an exemplary sustainability rating and a high percentage of low-income, affordable, housing units. The architectural strategy is to maximise the architectural quality of all dwellings by creating double exposure rooms wherever possible, balconies oriented to sunlight and views, landscaped courtyard and roof terraces, and a high degree of prefabrication.

[IMG]http://i38.************/2079sut.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i36.************/2hprf2o.jpg[/IMG]
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #56
henry

From aurélien on Flickr, it shows the Farrell office scheme from above in the top left hand corner, and we can see the Ravensbourne College site between that and the dome. As Fitz rightly pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any work going on here at the moment. At the new NLA exhibition on the various masterplans around London, the college is mentioned as being complete in 2010, so I guess if they mean to keep to that schedule they'll have to start soon.

image hosted on flickr
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #57
wawd

Likes (Received): 19

i'm excited about this development, i hope they minimise on the use of roads. would love to live here one day ...

Last edited by wawd; November 17th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
wawd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #58
DarJoLe

Well I'll hold off judging the cladding until completion as it's obvious there's still bits to be stuck on....but well, it's quite...artistic, if nothing else.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #59
delores

Likes (Received): 809

Well I have to say the building actually looks exactly like the render! I quiet like it, well it's a start, shame there's not much else to join it.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #60
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Looks great, although on its own it looks silly. When is development around it going to start?
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
greenwich peninsula, knight dragon, london, se10, south east london, south london, the o2