Kidbrooke Village £1bn regeneration | Greenwich | U/C - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #41
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78204

Phase 1
Eltham Green SE9
Greenwich

Autumn 2008: Submission of the Outline Masterplan planning application and detailed design of Phase One, Eltham Green.

Spring 2009: Detailed plans for Phase One approved by Greenwich Council.

Spring 2009: Phase One to start on site.

Summer 2010: Delivery of first homes in Phase One.

Summer 2012: Estimated completion of Phase One.

Phase 1 Map

[IMG]http://i38.************/2heiwwo.jpg[/IMG]

Phase 1 Aerial

[IMG]http://i37.************/jkj01u.jpg[/IMG]

Phase 1 Apartment Blocks

[IMG]http://i35.************/9a5r28.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i36.************/1x0d1.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://i39.************/211ts0z.jpg[/img]

Phase 1 Apartment Block (Detail)

[IMG]http://i35.************/20uocp0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/21e8bxg.jpg[/IMG]

Phase 1 Row Homes

[img]http://i40.************/rb9toj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.************/3xah0.jpg[/img]

Phase 1 Row Homes (Detail)

[img]http://i42.************/2j45x87.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i44.************/18oqpf.jpg[/img]

Last edited by SE9; April 29th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #42
Horizon911

Likes (Received): 15

If the whole scheme was made up of those terraced houses as shown in the above pics, this would be a very respectable scheme. Why can't the whole scheme be like this?

But, no. This is South London which means some lefty idiot wants to experiment with people's lives (which of course has never happened before...) and put in a mish mash of mostly high rise and low rise flats. It will create zero community and I feel sorry for those that will have to live in this unbearable estate.

I think there should should a law to say that the architects and planners responsible for developments such as these, should live on them.
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #43
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 3

I disagree... those terraced houses look as bad as the characterless post-war brick boxes found all over this country. They remind me of the cheap shitty brick houses with corrugated steel roofs that get built for people who live in shanty towns

The apartment buildings look much better.
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #44
chrissyb
Lincoln - London - Greece

Likes (Received): 1

I'm pleased to see the inclusion of back gardens, but I agree parts of it feels really post-apocalyptic, heavy and burdensome.

But what can we expect?

It just doesn't seem feasible to build a pretty row of detached house with their own front and back garden - certainly not in the name of affordable housing.

To that end these are that different to what was there previously.

I feel hugely luckly to have grown detached houses - hugely. Now I live in a flat. It looks like we'll all be living in flats - whatever our level of income.
chrissyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #45
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon911 View Post
If the whole scheme was made up of those terraced houses as shown in the above pics, this would be a very respectable scheme. Why can't the whole scheme be like this?

But, no. This is South London which means some lefty idiot wants to experiment with people's lives (which of course has never happened before...) and put in a mish mash of mostly high rise and low rise flats. It will create zero community and I feel sorry for those that will have to live in this unbearable estate.

I think there should should a law to say that the architects and planners responsible for developments such as these, should live on them.
i disagree entirely, i lived on an estate of flats, and in a terrace house. And the community spirit was much greater in the flats, especially amongst the kids who were really forced to hang together as they had no external private space of their own (a positive imho)!
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #46
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 100

A much better scheme, I quite like the minimalism of the architecture, nice, clean, it'll be good if the materials are top notch, towers were innappropriate for such a suburban location.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #47
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

I actually like. Is this starting construction next year then?
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #48
SE9
South East Nine

Phase 1 starts construction next year. The current site is just grass fields.

The rest of the project can't begin until the estate is demolished... and most blocks are still inhabited.
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #49
SE9
South East Nine

Berkeley Homes submits plans for £1bn redevelopment of Greenwich council estate
17 December, 2008

Quote:
By Martin Spring and Chloë Stothart
http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?...de=3130118&c=0

Three years after it was appointed by Greenwich council, Berkeley Homes has submitted a planning application for the £1bn redevelopment of a huge seventies council estate at Kidbrooke in south-east London. It will be the largest residential development in the UK outside the Olympic Games area.
Kidbrooke

The masterplan, by architect Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands, for more than 4,000 homes over the 109ha site of the seventies Ferrier Estate has been compared by Cabe with seminal sustainable developments at Hammarby in Sweden and Freiburg in Germany.

The centrepiece of the medium-density development will be a new linear park 130m wide, with horseshoe formations of five and seven-storey apartment blocks opening off it on either side. The new housing will include private, social rented, shared equity, key worker, private rented and sheltered housing for older people.

Higher apartment blocks incorporating shops, community centre and health centre will be clustered around a new railway and bus station overlooking a public square development. And towards the perimeter of the site, lower three-storey houses will merge with the existing suburban housing beyond.

Berkeley Homes is to carry out the redevelopment in partnership with Greenwich council and the new national Homes & Communities Agency.

John Rowland Urban Design collaborated on the masterplan, with Barton Willmore as planning consultant, Faber Maunsell as structural and services engineer and Gillespies as landscape architect.

The outline planning application includes a detailed planning application for a first phase of 449 homes designed by Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands to be delivered by 2010. The entire development is intended to be built over a 15- to 20-year period involving several architects.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM   #50
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10511

CABE Design review
Kidbrooke Masterplan

Masterplan for 4,800 new homes, together with retail and leisure uses, office, hotel, supermarket, GP surgery, a new railway station, and a replacement primary school, on the site of the Ferrier Estate with detailed design for phase 1.

Review date: 23 December 2008
Lead designer: Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands
Client: Berkeley Homes
Local authority: London: Greenwich
Location: The Ferrier Estate and Harrow Meadow, Kidbrooke, London SE3.
Region: London
Categories: Housing, Neighbourhoods and Regeneration, Infrastructure

Introduction
We support the principles of access, scale, layout, use, landscape design and appearance set out in the outline application and we support the design of the detailed application for Phase 1 of the masterplan. We commend the developer and local authority for their positive collaboration, particularly for putting the appropriate planning policy in place at the beginning of the process and for appointing an integrated, urban design-focused design team. We feel that this sophisticated proposal will provide a strong framework for the future phases of development.

Kidbrooke has the potential to be an exemplar for sustainable suburbs and the re-development of local authority housing estates. It is in this context of enthusiastic support for the scheme that we offer the following detailed comments: a request that a robust framework for management of the open space should be embedded in any approval, a suggestion that the location of the extra care facility should be reassessed and a concern about the sustainability of the proportion of 1-bedroom flats proposed.

Sustainability
In spite of the fact that a development of only 30 years old is to be demolished to make way for this masterplan, we consider this scheme to be inherently sustainable. By providing a medium density development with the potential for stitching the disparate urban fabric together and incorporating green space for recreation and ecology, this scheme transcends the usual sustainable and eco tags. However we note that, within the mix of units, 29% of the homes will be one-bedroom flats and we question whether a higher proportion of larger units should be offered in order to promote a more stable and sustainable future community.

This scheme’s sustainability credentials are enhanced by an understanding the positive and negative aspects of the existing Ferrier estate. For instance, building on the original grid layout is intelligent; it not only maintains the good solar orientation but allows for the re-use of the existing services. It is essential that other negative lessons learnt about poor community cohesion and ineffective estate management are also heeded.

The robust management of the open space will be fundamental to its long term success and sustainability. We recommend that the local authority satisfies itself that an appropriate strategy is embedded in any planning approval.

Parkland/urban structure
We support the uncomplicated gridded form of the urban structure and the use of the green ribbon as a heart to the development. We feel that the conversion of Kidbrooke Park Road, from distributor road to park boulevard, is fundamental to the success of this structure. We support the proposals for treating the redefined road and its integration with the park including the concept of at-grade crossings and green space character areas. The engagement of the c-shaped edge blocks with the park appears to successfully define the boundaries between public and private realms. We welcome the phasing proposal that includes the adjacent area of parkland in each phase and suggest that trigger points should be embedded in any approval to ensure that works may not progress unless the appropriate landscape work has been completed.

We welcome, in general, the changes that have been made to terminate the park with more clarity at its northern end and integrate it better with the existing context to the south. However, although we support the relocation of the school to define the northern boundary of the park, we have reservations about the relocation of the extra care facility. We suggest that homes for older people might benefit from being located within the heart of a neighbourhood and close to its other amenities, rather than on a peripheral site.

We support the design principles of the hub; we think that the reduced height, the elimination of residential accommodation from its northern side, and the inclusion of 2-storey houses to better define the outer edges of the triangular plots, are all positive design changes.

Phase 1
We are confident that the detailed proposals for Phase 1 successfully demonstrate the robustness of the masterplanning principles. We welcome, in particular, the successful demonstration of the residential quality of a number of the masterplan typologies. We appreciate the efforts made to limit the use of long access corridors and single-aspect, north-facing flats. We support the use of maisonettes and would recommend that this be expanded to provide even more duplex units with individual entrances at ground level where possible. We feel the exploitation of levels to conceal parking and create a clear definition between the private courtyards and the public park works successfully.

While the loss of the park frontage for some residents of Eltham Green Road is unfortunate, we believe that, through the successful knitting of the proposed new housing into the existing urban fabric, this will be for the greater good of the whole community. We support the design changes that have developed clear and legible connections through from the existing housing to the park.

Conclusion
We support the planning application and look forward to seeing the detail of this masterplan as it develops over the coming years. We feel that it would be a positive move to have a variety of architectural practices working on the different phases as they come forward. It is essential that the green spaces are delivered at an early stage of development and that a clear management plan is in place to integrate the green spaces into the wider development. However, we suggest that the design team reviews the location of the extra care facility and the proportion of 1-bedroom flats.

The success of Phase 1 will also be dependent on the appropriate use of materials and the detailed design of the scheme to include the facades and landscaping. The local planning authority should be convinced that the development can be built to a high quality and may wish to apply conditions to ensure an appropriate level of control on design details. The CABE document Protecting Design Quality in Planning available from our website www.cabe.org.uk may be useful in this respect.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM   #51
delores

Likes (Received): 814

' We feel that it would be a positive move to have a variety of architectural practices working on the different phases as they come forward'

I think that say's alot. I find one architects vision, especially the stuff we have seen on here can make it look too much like an estate rather than a normal place to live. A variety of styles and architecture would really help make this place feel more ' real '
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #52
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition begins on Ferrier estate
March 2009
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/41...errier_estate/

Quote:
DEMOLITION has begun on the deprived Ferrier estate in Kidbrooke as part of plans to revamp the area.

Nearly 2,000 1970s homes will be demolished and 4,398 new ones will be built, along with a shopping centre, a school and an NHS health centre.

The 15-year project is being led by Greenwich Council in partnership with developer Berkeley Homes.

Greenwich Council hopes to tackle social deprivation in the area by creating more open spaces and moving away from the previous inward- facing block design of buildings.

Councillor Peter Brooks, deputy leader of Greenwich Council, says the start of the demolition programme marks an important milestone for the community.

He said: “I know that local residents are very keen for this scheme to progress, so it's great news that the demolition work is now underway. “It's taken a lot of work to bring in the necessary investment.

“But we are now well on the way to creating a new urban quarter on the site of the old Ferrier Estate.

“One that will offer an attractive environment and high quality facilities for people who live, work or study here.”

Phase one of the development will consist of 449 houses and apartments, of which 220 are for private sale and 229 are affordable homes.

Building is due to begin in the spring, with the first tenants expected to move in early in 2010.

Old April 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #53
SE9
South East Nine

Greenwich Council has approved the £1billion masterplan for the area.

... compared to the other £1billion scheme to the west of town, this doesn't get much attention here!

News articles:

Quote:
Evening Standard
Estate plagued by crime to be demolished for £1bn rebirth
Ruth Bloomfield

A NOTORIOUS "sink" estate is to get a £1billion makeover in the biggest development in London since the Olympic park.
The Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke - used as the backdrop for the film Nil By Mouth - is being demolished and 4,000 homes built in its place

Continued: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...rth/article.do

Quote:
Evening Standard
Real chance to wake up from a Seventies nightmare
Rowan Moore

No sane person could fail to prefer the vision offered of the future Ferrier Estate to the dour and rat-infested reality now in place. But the big question is, will it really happen like this?
The future version proposes a new park, as well as semi-private courtyards for individual blocks of flats. It will have a mixture of tenures, of owners and renters, instead of the monoculture of council flats originally built.

Continued: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...are/article.do
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #54
SE9
South East Nine

Could the thread title be changed to:

Kidbrooke £1bn Regeneration | Greenwich | App
or
Kidbrooke £1bn Regeneration | Greenwich | Demo

As it has been approved, and demolition has started on sections of the estate:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #55
SE9
South East Nine

More articles:

Quote:
Property Week
Consent granted for £1bn redevelopment of notorious Greenwich estate
David Doyle

Berkeley Homes has gained planning consent for the £1bn redevelopment of one of London’s most deprived housing estates.

Greenwich Council has granted consent to Berkeley Homes’ and Southern Housing’s Kidbrooke masterplan for the Ferrier Estate, the council estate immortalised in Gary Oldman’s gritty biopic Nil By Mouth.

The partnership was given outline planning permission to develop 4,000 residential units at the 2,000 apartments estate and neighbouring Harrow Green sports areas.

The plans, revealed by Property Week last year, include 30,000 sq ft of leisure facilities, 60,000 sq ft of offices, 34,000 sq ft of shops and a 64,000 sq ft hotel.

The plans will now be referred to the Mayor of London’s office.

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3137988&c=1

Quote:
The Career Engineer
New residential construction jobs could be created in London

Construction job prospects in London have received a potential boost after planning permission was granted to one of Europe's largest housing-focused regeneration schemes.

Greenwich Council will allow the redevelopment project to take place at the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke, with the council and Berkeley Homes due to work alongside the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and Southern Housing Group to deliver thousands of new homes.

Berkeley Homes' masterplan involves 4,000 mixed-tenure homes, commercial and retail space, a new school and new community and healthcare facilities.

It also incorporates new sports pitches and leisure facilities, a new transport interchange and eight hectares of public open space.

Commenting on the granting of planning permission, David Lunts, HCA's London regional director, said: "This is excellent news for the people of Kidbrooke, and brings us a crucial step closer to delivering this much-needed regeneration project that will improve the quality and choice of homes and facilities in the area."

HCA chief executive Sir Bob Kerslake recently welcomed the government's £170 million allocation for local transport projects.

http://www.thecareerengineer.com/sta...rd_id=19112270

Quote:
News Shopper
Ferrier Estate revamp plans given green light

PLANS for a £1bn revamp of a deprived estate have been given the green light.

Greenwich Council has granted planning permission for a master plan for the regeneration of the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke.

The 15-year project being led by the council in partnership with developer Berkeley Homes, includes demolition of nearly 2,000 1970s homes and the building of 4,398 new ones.

A shopping centre, a school and an NHS health centre will also built.

The council hopes to tackle social deprivation in the area by creating more open spaces and moving away from the previous inward-facing block design of buildings.

Demolition began on the estate last month.

Councillor Peter Brooks, deputy leader of Greenwich Council, said: “This is an important milestone for the Kidbrooke area.

“It will finally bring about the long-term vision developed by Greenwich Council with the local community over many years, to transform the environment, and provide new homes and amenities that we can be proud of.

“We look forward to working with the developers and our housing partners.”

Phase one of the development will consist of 449 houses and apartments, of which 220 are for private sale and 229 are affordable homes.

Building is due to begin this spring, with the first tenants expected to move in early in 2010.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/42...n_green_light/

Quote:
The Architect's Journal
Greenwich approves £1 billion Ferrier Estate regeneration
By Christopher Sell

Greenwich Council has given the thumbs-up to Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands’ masterplan for the £1 billion redevelopment of the 1960s Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke, south-east London

Under the plans – which represent one of Europe’s largest housing regeneration schemes – the existing sink estate will be demolished and 4,000 homes will be built. It will also include shops, offices, a school, a health centre, sports facilities and more than 50ha of open space.

Demolition of the estate has already begun, with the first residents expected to move in next year.

Landscape architect Gillespies is working alongside Lifschutz Davidson Sandiland on the masterplan.

The council has also given the go-ahead to the detailed proposal for phase one of the regeneration. This includes 449 houses and apartments – 220 for private sale and 229 affordable homes.

A spokeswoman for Berkeley Homes Urban Developments, project partner along with the Southern Housing Group and the Homes and Communities Agency, said: ‘The demolition is the first outward sign that the site is now underway and will be one of the biggest regeneration projects in the UK, outside of the Olympic Park.’

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/n...200238.article

Quote:
Builder & Engineer Online
Berkeley Homes gets green light for £1bn redevelopment of London estate

Berkeley Homes has received planning consent for the £1bn redevelopment of one of the most deprived housing estates in London.

Greenwich Council has granted planning permission for a master plan for the regeneration of the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke, which was used as the backdrop for the film Nil By Mouth.

The 15-year project being led by the council in partnership with Berkeley Homes and Southern Housing, includes demolishing nearly 2,000 1970s homes and building 4,398 new ones.

There will also be shops, offices, a school, a NHS health centre, sports facilities and more than 50 hectares of open space.

Demolition has already begun with construction work due to commence this spring. The first tenants are expected to move in by early 2010.

http://www.builderandengineer.co.uk/...tate-3666.html

Quote:
Bexley Times
Housing estate’s new lease of life

COUNCIL bosses have given the go-ahead for the re-development of a 1970s council block.

The master plan for the redevelopment of the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke was granted planning permission last Monday.

But detailed permission was only granted for the first phase of the development, which is due to start in June and last for approximately three years.

This will consist of 449 houses and apartments, with 220 for private sale and 229 as affordable homes.

Architects from the firm Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands drew up the masterplan that is due to be completed in 15-20 years.

This includes replacing 2,000 old homes with 4,000 new ones, with the first set to be ready in 2010. Also promised are approximately 300,000 sq ft of commercial and retail space, a new school, new community facilities, healthcare facilities, sports pitches, leisure facilities, a new transport interchange and eight hectares of new public open space.

Demolition work began last month - two years after Berkeley Homes bought the site in February 2007.

Greenwich council approved a compulsory purchase order in April 2007 for the £1billion regeneration plan.

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/content...A50%3A59%3A300

Quote:
regen.net
Kidbrooke plan approved
Susie Sell

One of Europe's largest housing regeneration schemes has been granted outline planning permission by the London Borough of Greenwich.

The scheme – which was ranked 31st in terms of investment required in Regeneration & Renewal’s Top 100 Regeneration Projects 2009 – plans to re-develop the 1960s Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke, south-east London.

The project aims to replace the estate with 4,000 new homes, shops, offices, a health centre, sports facilities and more than 50 ha of open space.

Demolition started last month and the developers hope to start on phase one work in the summer. The first residents are expected to move in next year.

The redevelopment will be delivered by housebuilder Berkeley Homes and Greenwich council alongside their development partners the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA) and Southern Housing Group.

http://www.regen.net/news/ByDiscipli...plan-approved/

Last edited by SE9; April 10th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #56
SE9
South East Nine

The Kidbrooke Regeneration website is now online: http://www.kidbrookeregeneration.info/

Last edited by SE9; April 29th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #57
SE9
South East Nine

Two recent photos:

[IMG]http://i43.************/2wg6iy1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/2zqtn3a.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #58
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 158

Many thanks to those who have posted photos, especially the photos when the estate was new. Looks very 'Brave New World' or 'Clockwork Orange'. I have an unhealthy fascination with 60's and 70's Council estates, espacially those on a grand scale such as the Ferrier, Aylesbury, North Peckham etc. I have been out to the Ferrier a couple of times myself not long after it was used for exterior shots in Gary Oldman's film 'Nil By Mouth' from 1997.

Like a number of posters in this thread I also am of the belief that this area does not need towers or high density accomodation largely because its nowhere near any established town centre and its transport links are not fantastic. I agree that people need their own private open space and small balconies are not sufficient in providing this. This redevelopment seriously runs the risk of repeating the mistakes of the 60's & 70's. Tubeman's idea of terraced houses of a traditional nature with a small 'high street' leading up to the train station is spot on. This formula works as perfectly now as it did in the late 1800's. You don't see large swathes of Victorian terraced housing being demolished in London or elsewhere. Why haven't we learn't our lesson?
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #59
darrense14

Likes (Received): 0

Good to see Ferrier estate is finally coming down. When i first moved to London 10 years ago i lived very close and made the mistake of taking a short cut through the estate from the station at Kidbrook. That was the first and last time i walked anywhere near as i nearly got mugged.

It would have been nice just to keep a couple of blocks of flats or a small part of the estate just for posterity - have it completely revamped and the new part developed around it.
darrense14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #60
SE9
South East Nine

Kidbrooke Park Road Block - Demolished
March 09 to May 09

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Advertisement

Tags
berkeley homes, ferrier estate, greenwich, kidbrooke, kidbrooke village, london, village