Kidbrooke Village £1bn regeneration | Greenwich | U/C - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything going up in London right now

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #121
bstl

Likes (Received): 2

A (very quick) photo update from today, I'm nowhere near as clued up about this as SE9, but seeing as I have a front row seat to it everyday thought I should start making myself useful... only had my camera phone on me today... zoom is hardly wonderful...
image hosted on flickr
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #122
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 78217

Today

^ Nice one, shows that one tower has disappeared from view, and another is awaiting demolition.

This is the scene today, with the first tower cut down to size, and the second tower having started demolition:

[IMG]http://i44.************/ohqq9f.jpg[/IMG]

First units of Phase One topped out yesterday:

[IMG]http://i42.************/14447ys.jpg[/IMG]

It looks as if the development will include solar panels on each house:

[IMG]http://i41.************/292wuo4.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by SE9; April 29th, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #123
decks67
decks67

Likes (Received): 6

i think its already topped out, its already 2010 lol
decks67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #124
SE9
South East Nine

That's what too little sleep does!
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #125
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

great thread SE9 - just moved to SE3 myself from W14 (people look at me strangely - I might have well have moved to Brussels they say....) and will have to swing down Kidbrooke Park Road and have a nose around. Lots going on round here with the Lewisham schemes and Greenwich Peninsular. I shall start reporting.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #126
bstl

jimbo, a big warm welcome to lovely, gritty South London!
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #127
SE9
South East Nine

Ferrier estate plans win approval for second phase
News Shopper
23 March 2010
Quote:
Permission has been granted for the next stage in the regeneration of a notorious housing estate.

Greenwich Council has approved the second phase of Kidbrooke’s Ferrier Estate redevelopment project.

Topping out of the first buildings in the £1bn redevelopment by Berkeley Homes recently began and now construction will move on to another 710 homes.

Deputy leader of Greenwich Council Cllr Peter Brooks said: “The council's vision for Kidbrooke, shared by local residents, is to create new homes fit for the 21st century.

“Phase Two of the Kidbrooke regeneration project will enable us to take a huge step towards that vision, providing a valuable mix of housing suitable for the local community."

Overall, the plan will see around 4,000 homes built on the site, along with a new school, community, healthcare and leisure facilities.

Some groups have criticised the project, pointing out that there will not be enough affordable homes.

Chairman of the Ferrier Residents Action Group, Nick Russell, said: "There were 1,740 rented homes on this estate.

"What is now being provided is 437 normal rented homes plus 303 special elderly units. It's a short fall of 1,000."

A council spokesman responded to Mr Russell by saying: "The Ferrier estate was made up of 1,732 socially rented homes, together with 174 leasehold or freehold.

"The masterplan for the Kidbrooke redevelopment includes outline approval for 4,000 homes in the Kidbrooke area - 1,525 affordable homes - along with the provision of community and social facilities for the area.

"Phases 1, 2 and 2A have since been given detailed planning approval. Further phases will be presented in due course bringing the total for the Kidbrooke masterplan to 4,000 homes (1,525 affordable).

"There are three further sites to come forward in the wider Kidbrooke area that will provide the balance of affordable homes."

The second phase deals with the western section of the estate and will provide three to four storey family housing and apartments overlooking a new landscaped park.

This will complement the 449 homes from phase one.

The Ferrier estate was built in 1974 but over the years has become run-down and heavily vandalised while its residents have suffered huge problems with pests including rats and mice.

Construction work reaches new milestone on south London development

Career Structure
25 March 2010
Quote:
Construction work is set to begin on the second stage of a major redevelopment in South East London after Greenwich Council granted its approval.

The council has given the go-ahead to construction jobs to build 710 new homes on the Ferrier Estate in Kidbrooke, following the topping off last week of the first stage of this development, during which 449 homes were erected.

This is part of Berkley Homes' £1 billion Kidbrooke regeneration project, which entails construction work on 4,000 new homes in total, 300,000 square feet of commercial space and new communal amenities, including a school and sports and leisure facilities.

Peter Brookes, deputy leader of Greenwich Council, commented: "The council's vision for Kidbrooke, shared by local residents, is to create new homes fit for the 21st century.

"Phase Two of the Kidbrooke regeneration project will enable us to take a huge step towards that vision, providing a valuable mix of housing suitable for the local community."

The council was also awarded £4.2 million of government funding last autumn to build 47 homes across Greenwich and then a further £1.78 million in January to build 16 more homes in the borough, with these projects helping to fuel construction recruitment in the area.

Permission granted for Phase Two of Kidbrooke Regeneration

Easier Property
19 March 2010
Quote:
Following the successful topping-out of Phase One last week, Greenwich Council last night granted approval for Phase Two and Two A of the Kidbrooke Regeneration, the £1bn redevelopment of the Ferrier Estate in South East London by Berkeley Homes (Urban Renaissance) Ltd.

Working in partnership on one of the largest residential regeneration schemes in Europe, Berkeley Homes and Greenwich Council will now continue their work with their development partners; The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and Southern Housing Group to deliver the second phase of the project.

After extensive consultation and planning the second phase at Kidbrooke, designed by architects Scott Brownrigg and PRP, will consist of a total of 710 new homes. Phase Two, situated on the western half of the masterplan, will provide three to four storey family housing, apartments overlooking a new landscaped park and ExtraCare homes. This will complement the 449 homes of Phase One and provide a mix of much needed private and affordable homes in the area. Phase Two A is situated on the eastern side of the Masterplan and consists of larger family housing and two four storey apartment blocks.

The regeneration at Kidbrooke will create a mixed-use development, including a community of 4,000 new mixed-tenure homes, approximately 300,000 sq ft of commercial and retail space, a new school, new community facilities, integrated healthcare facilities, sports pitches and leisure facilities. It will also include a new transport interchange and eight hectares of new public open space, in a Masterplan designed by architect Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands.

John Anderson, Chairman of Berkeley Homes (Urban Renaissance) Ltd comments:

“We are delighted that Greenwich Council has granted planning permission for Phase Two and Two A at Kidbrooke and it represents significant progress for everyone involved After a successful topping-out of Phase One last week, Berkeley Homes and its partners can continue to build upon the much needed regeneration of this area. The committee’s unanimous decision to approve Phase Two and Two A shows that there is local support for this scheme and we are excited about continuing to turn the Kidbrooke dream into reality.”

Cllr Peter Brooks, Deputy Leader of Greenwich Council, said, "The Council's vision for Kidbrooke, shared by local residents, is to create new homes fit for the 21st century. Phase Two of the Kidbrooke regeneration project will enable us to take a huge step towards that vision, providing a valuable mix of housing suitable for the local community."

Richard McCarthy, Architectural Director, Scott Brownrigg comments: "This has been a hugely collaborative process, involving ongoing dialogue with CABE, HCA, Greenwich Council, GLA, the Kidbrooke Design Review Panel and the local community. All had a positive influence on the final proposals. The key challenge for us in developing the Masterplan was to increase the proportion of larger family homes. The introduction of dual aspect, courtyard and mews house typologies helped provide higher density accommodation without resorting to a flatted development. By providing a range of medium density housing typologies, with a strong relationship to the new green space for recreation and ecology, the design promotes an inherently stable and sustainable future community."

Roger Battersby, MD of PRP architects comments on the ExtraCare homes: "We are delighted to have achieved a unanimous planning approval for this exemplar housing project for older people. Our design for the ExtraCare housing meets many of the aspirations and recommendations of the HAPPI report published in December last year. It will set a new standard for high quality retirement housing at the heart of a regeneration programme.”

The total number of new homes to be built in the Kidbrooke area will be approximately 4,800, of which 4,000 are being developed through the Kidbrooke Regeneration scheme.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #128
SE9
South East Nine

Demo Update

The first two towers, which have stood for 40 years, have now been reduced to stumps:

Now a third tower block, Sterling House, is under demolition:

Last edited by SE9; May 23rd, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #129
SE9
South East Nine

Construction Update

Construction of the new three-storey terraces continues:

First sight of the apartment blocks appearing above the hoardings:

Last edited by SE9; May 23rd, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:36 PM   #130
SE9
South East Nine

The first 4 units of the new regeneration are now externally complete:

[IMG]http://i39.************/2d8rvxh.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #131
SE9
South East Nine

A new estate is born...

The first few rows of terraces are now complete. Each 3 storey block is one home. The blueprint for estate-regens to come?

Most is still under construction:

The apartment-block sections of this phase are also under-construction.

Last edited by SE9; July 31st, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM   #132
CroydonTown

Likes (Received): 197

Hats off to them for at least attempting to make things look more interesting with the different colours of brick etc. It's, obviously, such an improvement on what went before, I really hope many more estates around the country are redeveloped in this way.

On a related note, more hoardings have gone up around the Heygate Estate. Not sure whether this is the start of something serious, such as demolition (finally), or just a false start....
CroydonTown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #133
gazzab1990
SPAMMED

Likes (Received): 3

Great pics... these look a lot better than I thought they would. They look quite Dutch (as in a decent new Dutch housing development, which there aren't many of) and I agree with CroydonTown, it's nice too see some variation between the individual units & their positioning.
gazzab1990 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM   #134
SE9
South East Nine

Important step reached by Greenwich Council

Greenwich Council wins compulsory purchase right on Ferrier Estate homes
News Shopper
30 May 2010
Quote:
A COUNCIL has won the right to buy homes on a sink estate without the owners’ consent.

Greenwich Council says negotiations will continue with people whose homes and businesses it needs to buy in order to complete the mammoth £1bn Ferrier Estate regeneration project.

So far, it has bought 129 of the Kidbrooke estate’s homes and needs to acquire a further 45.

Following a public inquiry in January, permission has been granted by the Government Office for London for Compulsory Purchase Orders to be issued on the remaining properties if necessary.

The project will see the 1974 estate torn down and replaced with more than 4,000 new homes and businesses.

Nick Russell from the Ferrier Residents Action Group, which has raised problems with the scheme including a lack of affordable housing, said some property owners had been holding out for a better deal.

He said: “Unfortunately the council offer doesn’t make it possible for some people to remain homeowners in the immediate area.

“This decision means the council can force their way through now.”

Council leader Councillor Chris Roberts said: “I fully understand that some homeowners and leaseholders have concerns over selling their homes, and am pleased that we were able to find a negotiated solution in the majority of cases.

“Those affected by the compulsory order have exercised their right to put their case to an independent inspector at a public inquiry, and the outcome has been to support the council’s proposals.”

"The council now looks forward to concluding its negotiations over the remaining property purchases."
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #135
SE9
South East Nine

The 3rd tower block is now completely demolished. 8 more to go.

[IMG]http://i45.************/4sclk7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/2vk0zkn.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #136
SE9
South East Nine

The row-homes continue construction. The first apartment block is now starting to take shape.

[IMG]http://i47.************/2zflqn7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.************/125ni50.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #137
bstl

Much appreciated updates, SE9.
It's such a relief to see this come down, I hope to God this new scheme will end up better than the last.
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:32 PM   #138
SE9
South East Nine

I'm sure almost anything they do will be better than what's presently there.
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM   #139
SE9
South East Nine

Demolition Update

Demolition continues on the estate. Where towers stood are now piles of rubble. Most towers still stand though.

[IMG]http://i26.************/2vacdh3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/jr2zhg.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM   #140
SE9
South East Nine

Resident Update

Edit

Last edited by SE9; July 31st, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
berkeley homes, ferrier estate, greenwich, kidbrooke, kidbrooke village, london, village