LOS ANGELES - Dodger Stadium (56,000) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #41
Western87

Likes (Received): 8

dodger stadium is underrated in my book. when it comes to best ballparks everyone always talks about the old ones like wrigley and fenway, or the new ones like camden yards, At&t and Pnc, but dodger stadium is always overlooked
Western87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #42
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western87 View Post
dodger stadium is underrated in my book. when it comes to best ballparks everyone always talks about the old ones like wrigley and fenway, or the new ones like camden yards, At&t and Pnc, but dodger stadium is always overlooked
I'd argue the contrary.

Most critiques I've read praise Dodger Stadium as one of the crown jewels of MLB.

If anything, it's been overrated.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #43
Western87

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I'd argue the contrary.

Most critiques I've read praise Dodger Stadium as one of the crown jewels of MLB.

If anything, it's been overrated.
i guess we've read different critiques, cause most I've read have overlooked it
Western87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:16 AM   #44
schulzte

Likes (Received): 22

Architectually, Dodger Stadium is one of the top 5 baseball parks in MLB today. Everyone argues about symmetry, but symmetry is better than contrived asymmetry which is standard now. Dodger Stadium isn't confused with any other park.

http://www.stadiumdrawings.blogspot.com
schulzte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #45
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 103

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #46
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzte View Post
Architectually, Dodger Stadium is one of the top 5 baseball parks in MLB today. Everyone argues about symmetry, but symmetry is better than contrived asymmetry which is standard now. Dodger Stadium isn't confused with any other park.
Architectually? Top five? What else is on your list? What is your criteria? It's a symmetrical stadium built into the earth, with virtually no exterior facade to speak of.
mrakbaseball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #47
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4295

Architecture is more than facade. Dodger Stadium is classic. It may be overrated a bit, but it's still a great place to watch a ballgame. Nothing there feels contrived.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #48
Marckymarc
Namasté

Likes (Received): 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
Architectually? Top five? What else is on your list? What is your criteria? It's a symmetrical stadium built into the earth, with virtually no exterior facade to speak of.
ar·chi·tec·ture
n.
1. The art and science of designing and erecting buildings
2. Buildings and other large structures
3. A style and method of design and construction
4. Orderly arrangement of parts
Marckymarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:39 AM   #49
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Last edited by mrakbaseball; October 7th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:15 AM   #50
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

I can't decide if I want a new stadium or not. Are the history and timeless natural beauty worth giving up in favor of a more urban and accessible ballpark?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:17 AM   #51
slipperydog

Quote:
Apart from the time Manny Land existed?

Why is it considered a classic though? I appreciate its longevity, but other than that, why is the building itself considered "classic". Is the building "classic"? Or is it just celebrated because it wasn't a Shea clone or renovated into a Camden Yards clone? Is it because it is symmetrical and doesn't have red brick and green seats? If it was located in Pittsburgh or Cleveland would it be "classic"? I think Dodger Stadium is a decent enough park, but I don't get why some circles praise it as "the best" however.
I don't hear many arguing it's the best. But several factors make it classic, its location in the heart of Los Angeles with its unique setting that still makes it feel a world away from the city, while the oldest and newest parks have always embraced an urban identity. It has been host to a slew of some of the greatest moments for one of baseball's premier franchises. It was one of the last stadiums built before the onslaught of atrocious multi-purpose venues. Its longevity has allowed it to outlive virtually every other park built in the era without any major structural issues.

But perhaps the most important factor that has makes Dodger Stadium such a classic is that it has retained its exact same form since it opened in 1962. When you see an Andre Ethier home run go into the right-field pavilion, it looks exactly the same as when Kirk Gibson did it, or even before when Ron Cey did it. Being able to see those same images brings a sense of nostalgia and allows young fans like me to connect with the past while also allowing them to share the same experiences during all the great years that my father had with the ballpark. That sense of unity and history is very rare today and you really only see that in the two other places. A new ballpark would simply not feel "Dodger" to me, so while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of modern ballparks, no one will ever convince me Dodger Stadium is not a classic.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:10 AM   #52
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
I don't hear many arguing it's the best. But several factors make it classic, its location in the heart of Los Angeles with its unique setting that still makes it feel a world away from the city, while the oldest and newest parks have always embraced an urban identity. It has been host to a slew of some of the greatest moments for one of baseball's premier franchises. It was one of the last stadiums built before the onslaught of atrocious multi-purpose venues. Its longevity has allowed it to outlive virtually every other park built in the era without any major structural issues.

But perhaps the most important factor that has makes Dodger Stadium such a classic is that it has retained its exact same form since it opened in 1962. When you see an Andre Ethier home run go into the right-field pavilion, it looks exactly the same as when Kirk Gibson did it, or even before when Ron Cey did it. Being able to see those same images brings a sense of nostalgia and allows young fans like me to connect with the past while also allowing them to share the same experiences during all the great years that my father had with the ballpark. That sense of unity and history is very rare today and you really only see that in the two other places. A new ballpark would simply not feel "Dodger" to me, so while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of modern ballparks, no one will ever convince me Dodger Stadium is not a classic.
Couldn't have said it better myself. When I'm sitting in Dodger Stadium today it still looks and feels the same as it did as a kid back in the 70s.

One thing though, you said:

Quote:
...so while it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of modern ballparks...
Frankly I'm not sure what bells and whistles you mean.

Posh luxury suites? check
Posh club seating? check
Multiple, posh high-end VIP clubs? check
Cup holders? check
New, modern seating? check

What exactly is Dodger Stadium missing? Perhaps a scoreboard and more restroom and concession upgrades, but those things are relatively minor and hardly an excuse or reason to even think of building a whole new stadium for.

Last edited by Marckymarc; December 22nd, 2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:25 AM   #53
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckymarc View Post
What exactly is Dodger Stadium missing? .
Owners free of drama?
Old December 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM   #54
Marckymarc
Namasté

Quote:
Owners free of drama?
Yeah, pretty much.
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #55
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Public Address System

Is Dodger Stadium the last ballpark whose public address system is a speaker tower in CF? Are there any speakers in the grandstand?
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #56
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Fan Safety

With the recent beating of S.F. Giants fan Bryan Stow, who is currently in a coma and has suffered brain damage, is there any question which ballpark is safer: Dodger Stadium or Angel Stadium? The culture of violence at Dodger Stadium has been tolerated for too long. Too many excuses and denials. I've been saying this for a long time, Dodger Stadium has a culture of violence and the Dodgers have been negligent toward finding solutions to end it and make Dodger Stadium a safe and friendly environment for everyone.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #57
slipperydog

You bumped the thread just to say that? Thought we were gonna get some good pics or something. BTW this thread is about Dodger Stadium. Not Angel Stadium, the fans, or the parking lot.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #58
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
You bumped the thread just to say that? Thought we were gonna get some good pics or something. BTW this thread is about Dodger Stadium. Not Angel Stadium, the fans, or the parking lot.
A beating in the Dodger Stadium parking lot in which a fan nearly dies has every right to be mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by mrakbaseball; October 7th, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #59
slipperydog

Actually, no it doesn't. It's not the place to discuss it. Go to the Dodger or ESPN message boards if you want to talk about this particular incident. This forum is about stadium structures, design, and construction. And anyone who thinks people are turning a blind eye is both a moron and a troll. It's REAL Dodger fans who are raising funds and held a candlelight vigil for the victim.

Anyone who's been to Dodger Stadium, especially in the pavilions, knows that plenty of cholos show up who are not real Dodger fans, but simply use the blue colors and the LA symbol as an outlet for their aggression. It's gone too far, and LAPD has stepped in like they should. No more need be said.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #60
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, no it doesn't. It's not the place to discuss it. Go to the Dodger or ESPN message boards if you want to talk about this particular incident.
Well, you're not a moderator, that's all I'll say...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
los angeles