Crossrail stations & associated works | Various sites | London | U/C - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > London Transport Forum

London Transport Forum For transport and infrastructure in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #121
N1

Likes (Received): 0

wow. impressed to see the progress at tcr. didnt realise they were that far. reaching the point of no return fast.

what is the 'canary wharf station' about though? muliple stations with the same name will only confuse people. what was wrong with iod station?
N1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #122
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10522

Canary Wharf bought the station didn't they? So they changed the name. Isle of Dogs never sat comfortably with me as it simply doesn't have the household familiarity that the name Canary Wharf has with the general public. Plus the stations will all be linked and an official interchange on the map, so it makes sense overall to link the names.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #123
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Will the crossrail station have a proper link to the jubilee line station or will it be more finding your own way like the dlr jubilee switch?
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #124
Sesquip

Likes (Received): 459

It's even further away from Jubilee tube than the DLR is, but you can wind your way through the underground shopping mall if you don't want to walk it in the open air. West India Quay DLR will be closer (just like Heron Quay DLR is closer to CW tube)
Sesquip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #125
hoosier

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
NHS salaries these days have gone from being amongst the lowest to the highest in the world. Let me in there - I'll wield the axe
Go ahead and cut NHS funding, England will soon have a healthcare system of the same quality as America's. Is that what you want?

I would cut military spending, that is where the waste and inefficiency is.
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #126
Republica
BUND

So they should be among the highest in the world!
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #127
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 2167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
So they should be among the highest in the world!
I assume you have in your mind's eye all those underpaid, hardworking and attractive young nurses, who slave away saving lives within a system that doesn't care with only their sense of right to pay the rent - because they were who I was referring to of course.

I couldn't of course have been referring to any of the Trust Chief Executives whose salaries, before benefits, average £92,500 p.a. and yet regularly oversee adminastrative ****-ups that would make Fred Goodwin blush.

...or the poor hardworking NHS dentists (they do exist apparently) who had to struggle by on a 13% pay rise the year before last while their working hours were cruelly hiked to 37 hours a week for meagre six-figure salary packets.

...or anyone involved with the new £20bn computer system for the NHS that still isn't working and probably never will. (SLightly bigger cost than Crossrail there - hmmm)

Nope - no wastage to be identified at all. I humbly apologise.

...and for dragging this off topic - sorry. Back to Crossrail - trains, tunnels, glorious civic architecture (cough) - yay!

"I'd rather be a rising ape, than a falling angel", Terry Pratchett RIP
capslock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #128
capslock
Ho hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Go ahead and cut NHS funding, England will soon have a healthcare system of the same quality as America's. Is that what you want?

I would cut military spending, that is where the waste and inefficiency is.
Intriguing - how does one measure efficiency in the military? Bodies per buck?

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #129
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

TCR Update

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #130
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

christ, they've broken through the foundations into the old snooker hall is it? Not just the buildings coming down, the floors coming up too.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #131
hoosier

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Intriguing - how does one measure efficiency in the military? Bodies per buck?
I am referring more to the fancy weapons systems and funding for overseas military adventures as being wasteful.

I could be off base regarding wasteful military spending in Britain. There might be better procurement oversight in your country than in the U.S.

The military can wipe its ass with twenties it has so much money in the U.S. $600 + BILLION USD per year will allow you to do that.

And yes, back to Crossrail!!
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #132
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
I assume you have in your mind's eye all those underpaid, hardworking and attractive young nurses, who slave away saving lives within a system that doesn't care with only their sense of right to pay the rent - because they were who I was referring to of course.

I couldn't of course have been referring to any of the Trust Chief Executives whose salaries, before benefits, average £92,500 p.a. and yet regularly oversee adminastrative ****-ups that would make Fred Goodwin blush.

...or the poor hardworking NHS dentists (they do exist apparently) who had to struggle by on a 13% pay rise the year before last while their working hours were cruelly hiked to 37 hours a week for meagre six-figure salary packets.

...or anyone involved with the new £20bn computer system for the NHS that still isn't working and probably never will. (SLightly bigger cost than Crossrail there - hmmm)

...and for dragging this off topic - sorry. Back to Crossrail - trains, tunnels, glorious civic architecture (cough) - yay!
top post
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #133
mtj73

Thank's to Fitz44 and luke for the pics.

The true scale of construction at TCR is starting to hit home.
mtj73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #134
Republica
BUND

Quote:

I was thinking on simply the most basic level, looking at the quote that hoosier posted from you. I dont know if hoosier took one line from your post or what, cos I havent seen it. But in reply to 'NHS salaries these days have gone from being amongst the lowest to the highest in the world. Let me in there - I'll wield the axe' I stand by my comment!

NHS staff should be among the highest paid health professionals in the world.

Kind of obvious right, when we live in one of the most expensive and richest countries?
Old July 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #135
capslock
Ho hum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
I was thinking on simply the most basic level, looking at the quote that hoosier posted from you. I dont know if hoosier took one line from your post or what, cos I havent seen it. But in reply to 'NHS salaries these days have gone from being amongst the lowest to the highest in the world. Let me in there - I'll wield the axe' I stand by my comment!

NHS staff should be among the highest paid health professionals in the world.

Kind of obvious right, when we live in one of the most expensive and richest countries?
Post #107 for context. It's not as polemic when you read the whole post I suspect and was even Crossrail related. Classic journalist-type trick with Hoosier's selective quoting - I'd make a lousy politician I wasn't specifically wading into the NHS - just saying that there were better (and more likely) targets for cutting back on public spending than Crossrail, where the economy actually has a chance of a return. I stand my my point though... so we're both standing by our points, which is splendid. Isn't it lovely when everyone's right? I'll never mention this again in this thread.

Old July 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #136
mtj73

TCR London reconnections

mtj73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #137
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtj73 View Post
That's a great link mtj - the photos by John Bull from the top of Centre Point show the extent of demolition of the Astoria block to date;

June;

July;

Old July 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #138
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Likes (Received): 153

Crossrail hopefuls band together
16 July, 2009 | By Nick Whitten, Michael Lane

Balfour Beatty, Morgan Est and Vinci Construction Grands Projets team up for major construction package

Contractors are forming alliances to bid for Crossrail’s major construction packages with prequalification questionnaires expected to be sent out “very soon”.

Pan-European alliances are being formed to give consortiums the best possible chance of winning major slices of the Northern Hemisphere’s largest civil engineering job.

Balfour Beatty, Morgan Est and Vinci Construction Grands Projets, who have formed a consortium to win work on the £2bn new Forth Bridge, will bid together on Crossrail with a fourth firm who is as yet not known.

Laing O’Rourke has also teamed up with French-giant Bouygues while it is understood German firm Bilfinger Berger is joining Costain and Skanska.

Bam Nuttall is in talks with various different partners to create a consortium to go for the major tunnelling packages, but as yet no team has been formed.

Spanish giants Ferrovial and Italian construction firm Impregilo have also met with senior construction officials to express their interest in winning work.

One major player that has ruled itself out of the running for the major packages is Carillion, with bosses saying “tunnelling jobs are on the forbidden list” for the firm.

Sources within the contractors preparing to bid for work said they believe Crossrail bosses want the project as advanced as possible ahead of the next general election in June 2010 to make it more difficult for the elected party to put it on hold.

A source at one bidder said: “We are getting the distinct impression the client wants Crossrail moving on as quickly as possible. We are expecting PQQ documents very soon.”

A spokeswoman for Crossrail said: “We are working with sponsors and the industry and the procurement process is continuing to the planned timescale.

“Having appointed our programme partner and project delivery partner earlier this year, as well as awarding the initial detailed design contracts, we are on track to start major works in 2010.”

Bechtel was named project delivery partner in April and Transcend – a joint venture between AECOM, CH2m Hill and Nichols Group – was appointed in March as programme partner on the £16.2 billion project.

Framework agreements for the projects enabling works were also announced in April.

Laing O’Rourke, John F Hunt Demolition, McGee, Keltbray, Brown & Mason, PJ Carey, BAM Nuttall and Kier all won a place on the demolition framework.

The civils framework includes Laing O’Rourke, a Costain Skanska joint venture, Carillion, Kier, Morgan Est, J Murphy & Sons and Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering.

Morgan Est, a Costain/Skanska joint venture, McNicholas Construction, J Murphy & Sons, Clancy Docwra and Laing O’Rourke all made the cut for the utilities framework.

Crossrail will employ 14,000 at the peak of construction between 2013 and 2015 with another 7,000 jobs supported indirectly through related services such as manufacturing equipment.

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/sectors/tran...205094.article

Last edited by Luke; July 16th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #139
Republica
BUND

Thats great, so they are working flat out then presumably.
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #140
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

very sensible strategy there. Get cracking with it and have critical mass and contracted inked before any political upheaval next summer. Pretty much anybody who is anybody seems to be involved in the demo, construction or utilities there.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london