Tamil Nadu Buses - Photos & Discussion - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Tamil Nadu

Old January 31st, 2010, 10:26 PM   #101
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 257

Deputy Chief Minister inducts new buses in TNSTC fleet

http://www.hindu.com/2010/02/01/stor...0156680100.htm

Coimbatore: Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin on Sunday inducted two hundred new buses in the Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) and inaugurated a computer- simulated driving model bus besides handing over rewards and medals to drivers for accident-free service record.

Earlier, while giving details about the functioning and performance of Transport Corporations, Transport Minister, K.N. Nehru said that the Deputy Chief Minister had agreed only to give awards and inaugurate the new bus services and had stated that he would not speak. The master of ceremonies stood confused and approached Mr.Nehru to ask whether the Deputy CM could be called to the podium to address the gathering.

Acknowledging the same with a smile on his face, Mr.Stalin walked towards the podium amid loud applause.

Mr.Stalin said, “People should talk less and work more. Already we have shown our work in a great way today.”

He said, “Henceforth I would like to avoid speaking too much and start working more,” and wound up his two-minute speech thanking the gathering.

The model bus simulator to impart heavy vehicle training has been purchased at a cost of Rs 1.30 crore and could impart training to 12 people a day.

For private drivers not belonging to the Transport Corporation the simulator training fee per hour is Rs. 1,250 whereas it would be only Rs. 550 for Corporation drivers.

The simulator would have a real on-the-road experience for the driver and the training session would be recorded in the computer to ascertain the lapses.

Mr.Stalin also inaugurated 150 of the 300 new buses allocated under the Jawarhalal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) and another 50 buses of the 200 allocated this year.

Mr.Stalin also gave away gold medal and Rs. 20,000 to seven drivers who had served without any accident for 25 years.

Ninety-five drivers who had served without accident for 20 years were given a reward of Rs. 15,000 and 156 drivers who had served without accident for 15 years were given a reward of Rs. 10,000.

He also handed over promotion orders to 33 persons. Driver Subramanian handed over documents relating to his desire to donate his organs.

Highlighting the performance of TNSTCs, Mr.Nehru said that the number of route km served per day had increased to 84 lakh km from 64 lakh km, during the last three years.

The Government replaced 10,352 new buses in three years and 3,000 buses this year. Already, 85 per cent of the old buses had been replaced . Efforts are on to replace the remaining buses this year, thus completing the replacement of the entire 19,892 buses.

Mr.Nehru said that from 1.64 crore passengers a day, the numbers had increased to 2.05 crore passengers.

A total of 40,000 new employees had been inducted in the last three-and-a-half years.

Rural Industries and Animal Husbandry Minister Pongalur N. Palanisamy; Highways Minister M.P. Saminathan; Khadi and Village Industries Minister K. Ramachandran; Collector P. Umanath; Corporation Commissioner Anshul Mishra; Valparai MLA Kovai Thangam and Thondamuthur MLA M.N. Kandasamy took part.
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:18 AM   #102
dr_thapalathy

Likes (Received): 327

I heard that the TN govt is under severe pressure from the central govt. to increase the rates for the TNSTC and SETC buses. TNSTC+SETC, being the largest in India in terms of Profit, has slipped to foruth place.

So the fare increase is under consideration. The fare per KM is lowest in TN. It is 0.53 paise for UD.
dr_thapalathy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM   #103
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 20775

Election is nearing and fare increase will never happen. I hope the parties does not include free travel in gvt buses as their part of election manifesto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM   #104
ChennaiIndian

Likes (Received): 257

Any replies to my message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChennaiIndian View Post
Do all buses running in major cities in TN have bilingual route boards, one in Tamil and one in English? If its only in Tamil, then, people who can't read Tamil will be in distress.

I know the case in Chennai a few years back. In general, there will be bilingual route boards but on 'cut' services, they will 'cut' English too and make it only in Tamil and slash it (may be they were bored to put both languages there and slash them ). With digital route boards in new buses, I hope this problem will be taken care and they will have bilingual route boards.

Even if the route boards are in Tamil, atleast people will identify the routes based on numbers which will be Arabic (English) numerals. I remember a few years ago in Bangalore even numbers were written in Sanskrit numerals and people coming newly to the state couldn't get around on their own because the route boards were written only in Kannada and numerals too were not Arabic (English) Hope they have fixed this in Bangalore too.
ChennaiIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #105
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 20775

Very very rare to see english name boards in city buses other than Chennai and even the mofusil routes. But one can see english name boards in most of the buses plying to neighboring states i.e to Trivandrum, Ernakulam, Guruvayur, Palghat, Mangalore, Mysore, Bangalore & Tirupathi from TN towns/cities.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM   #106
sakthierode
New Bie :)

Likes (Received): 3

I have seen english name boards in Coimbatore-Erode-Tirupur segments.

LIC பாலிசி வேண்டுமா? அழைக்கவும் 90477 87331
sakthierode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #107
dhandapanik

Likes (Received): 2866

Saw one CBE-Rameshwaram new bus today @ Madurai. No: TN38 N 2098

25 dubba buses which were running as city buses in CBE city were transferred to Pollachi branches. They were used to replace the old buses running in Pollachi. These were put into operation without changing the area names pasted in the buses.

11 new buses were allocated to 3 branches present in pollachi. 11/50 is really a gud number..

CBE-POY-Palani - 8 buses
POY-Valparai - 2 buses
CBE-Pudhukottai - 1 bus (Operated by Pollachi branch)

dhandapanik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #108
vignu

Likes (Received): 101

Does TNSTC or SETC have a Regular Volvo service apart from recently inroduced Low Floor ones?? PLz reply???
vignu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #109
mugunthsboa
Mugu

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignu View Post
Does TNSTC or SETC have a Regular Volvo service apart from recently inroduced Low Floor ones?? PLz reply???
I heared that they modified some of the volvo buses in the Chennai City to run between short haul intercities.
Like Chennai-Pondicherry
Chennai-Vellore
Chennai-Villupuram
Chennai-Hosur(not short though)

I am not sure if this is true.But if it is, I would love to see their photos.
I dont really think that those city buses are fit for intercity travel thats more than 100 KM.Why dont they buy new ones for such a purpose?
mugunthsboa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #110
venkatm

Likes (Received): 2673

To bring new thinking in TN transportation problems, they should get some KSRTC (Karnataka) consultants. They have achieved a miracle in the last decade or so. Nice buses, modern bus stands, cleanliness, route innovation etc. A fare increase of atleast 20% is necessary though. Fares were last raised in 2001.
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #111
dr_thapalathy

Quote:
I heared that they modified some of the volvo buses in the Chennai City to run between short haul intercities.
Like Chennai-Pondicherry
Chennai-Vellore
Chennai-Villupuram
Chennai-Hosur(not short though)

I am not sure if this is true.But if it is, I would love to see their photos.
I dont really think that those city buses are fit for intercity travel thats more than 100 KM.Why dont they buy new ones for such a purpose?
They are regular volvo services only. Though these buses have the body built that of the same of MTC, the buses belong to TNSTC-VM.

But i have a doubt of whether it is MTC bus leased to TNSTC or buses completely owned by TNSTC.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #112
nagrec

Likes (Received): 7

Anybody knows when the new busses in madurai will be started? Villupuram and Coimbatore has got the new busses..what is stoping the transport ministry?
nagrec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #113
dhandapanik

Likes (Received): 2866

City Buses @ CBE.. included both the old and new city services..

Presenting the Transformation.. Old to new

Red and metallic one..Old bus which went to FC recently.. Back into the Road after agitation by public.

My fav color for the city bus service..

TN33 registed bus.. In worst condition.

LSS Service In Blue color.... Route No: 102A

TN33 Registered bus running as LSS Service

TNSTC - CBE Vestibule Bus.. Route No: 90A - Ukkadam - Somanur.. This bus is well Maintained

OLD SLF in 20A - Gandhipuram - Somanur.. Surprised to see TN33 Registered SLF here.

Old SLF in White color..

City Express Service.. Route no 115 - Gandhipuram to Gandhipuram

Now Lets see the New JNNURM SLF buses @ CBE

Saw around 8 buses totally.. Routes were 130, 140, 55C and 70A.. In the 8 buses around 6 has got Digital

boards.. Where the rest 140 gone??

TNSTC-CBE new JNNURM bus.. Route No: 130 - Ukkadam-Gandhipuram.

TNSTC CBE - JNNURM - Red Livery Route No: 140 - Gandhipuram - Singanallur

Rear Side

New JNNURM SLF - 70A - Gandhipuram to Marudhamalai

The front side

TNSTC-CBE JNNURM SLF - Blue Livery.. Irizar Built..

Interior of the New SLF.. Finishing is gud..

Where the rest 140 JNNURMs gone? most of them are parked inside Ondipudhur Depot..

dhandapanik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #114
vignu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_thapalathy View Post
They are regular volvo services only.
But i suppose (from pic.) they are low Floor ones. Or is it regular like KSRTC Airawat/other private operators..Can anybody tell me the color livery of these buses??
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #115
vignu

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatm View Post
To bring new thinking in TN transportation problems, they should get some KSRTC (Karnataka) consultants. They have achieved a miracle in the last decade or so. Nice buses, modern bus stands, cleanliness, route innovation etc. A fare increase of atleast 20% is necessary though. Fares were last raised in 2001.
Exactly.
The present volvo bus service would be loss making one.
Since there are 35 seats and ticket charge Re1/km,
Earnings per km = Rs35.
But I read in some article regarding maintainance cost of B'lore Vajras(our buses being similar to them) is Rs50/km.
So clearly there is a deficit of Rs15/km.
so, the charges must be raised to cover the oprtation cost atlest.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #116
arun82

Likes (Received): 2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignu View Post
TNSTC or SETC do not have VOLVO service apart from the low floor ones. They have ashok leyland ac coaches
arun82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #117
arun82

on sunday few Ashok leyland bus chasis on chennai byepass road heading south with govt transport corporation coimbatore. I think these are normal buses for intercity transport
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #118
arun82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_thapalathy View Post
They are regular volvo services only. Though these buses have the body built that of the same of MTC, the buses belong to TNSTC-VM.

But i have a doubt of whether it is MTC bus leased to TNSTC or buses completely owned by TNSTC.
MTC has received 100 volvo buses under JNNRUM scheme which is delivered in phases...As per the guidelines buses received by a transport corporation cannot transfer it to another corporation. Hence they have given the already procured volvo buses to Villupuram division to be operated between chennai and other important places. as per MTC restriction they are not allowed to ply buses beyond Kanchi and Chengalpet
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #119
dr_thapalathy

Quote:
As per the guidelines buses received by a transport corporation cannot transfer it to another corporation
But what would you say for the dumping of all division of TNSTC's old buses in Tirunelvely city, especially Villupuram. The reg no ll be TN-32, but it will be written TNSTC-MDU.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #120
dr_thapalathy

Quote:
But i suppose (from pic.) they are low Floor ones. Or is it regular like KSRTC Airawat/other private operators..Can anybody tell me the color livery of these buses??
Ya, these are low floor buses and not like other private VOLVO operators. I too hope TNSTC/SETC to start VOLVO buses like that. And the color of all the buses are white only, the design is the same as MTC Volvo bus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buses