LONDON - Wembley Stadium (90,000) - UEFA EURO 2020 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 112

LONDON - Wembley Stadium (90,000) - UEFA EURO 2020

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by www.sercan.de; April 7th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
PERMANENT SEATING BOWL SEATS FOR ATHLETICS
Lower tier: 12,628
Mid tier: 14,298
Boxes: 2,236
Upper tier: 68,401

BTW
distanca stand pitch is 9-17m

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
ADDITIONAL SEATING OPTION
An investigation was undertaken to explore the possibility of increasing the seating capacity above 68,400 with the platform in place. An additional 1,600 seats can be added on temporary seating decks constructed on and between the wheelchair seating platforms. Three rows are proposed that extend approximately 50 percent of the way around the seating bowl. These seats provide good sight lines to the track and infield because they are elevated above the existing seating bowl. The wheelchair platforms and the seating sections between them are located at the edge of the raised platform and are unusable with the platform in place. Provisions for disabled spectators and wheelchair users are made elsewhere in the stadium.

Posted before...

Last edited by www.sercan.de; April 7th, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #3
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

PHOTO DIARY:
http://www.wembleystadium.com/brilli...hoto_diary.htm
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #4
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

Its gonna be the best stadium ever!!!
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 12:48 AM   #5
mrtocsin

Likes (Received): 0

My sentaments exactly, only I just wish they could have designed it to be a 100,000 seater stadium.

The big question is though when will it host the next World Cup, 2010 is South Africa, 2014 will probably be Brazil, so I'm hoping for 2018.
mrtocsin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #6
Philip Cronin

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtocsin
My sentaments exactly, only I just wish they could have designed it to be a 100,000 seater stadium.

The big question is though when will it host the next World Cup, 2010 is South Africa, 2014 will probably be Brazil, so I'm hoping for 2018.
Resign yourself to 2022, as FIFA probably won't be able to resist giving it to China.

Then if we do get it in 2018, it will be a pleasant surprise.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #7
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 363

There are a ton of stadiums with the same amenities. I'm not saying it won't be the best, but without knowledge of what else is out there, how do you know? I remember the big deal made about Stade de France back during the world cup and its amenities, but I was thinking to myself, aren't there a lot of stadia with the same amenities?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #8
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

And its the home of the England football team
high_flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #9
nick_taylor

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
There are a ton of stadiums with the same amenities. I'm not saying it won't be the best, but without knowledge of what else is out there, how do you know? I remember the big deal made about Stade de France back during the world cup and its amenities, but I was thinking to myself, aren't there a lot of stadia with the same amenities?
No there are no other stadiums that will be on par to the new Wembley - that is why it will be so special. Every seat will be under cover, without affecting TV coverage or the quality of the turf - no other stadium in the history of the world to date has used digital technology to map and design the whole stadium to very strict variables. No other building in the world will have as many toilets as the new Wembley!

My god man - this is the largest stadium ever constructed. It will be 2.4x LARGER in accomodation area (sq m) than the Stade de France, It will also be 1.73x larger than Stadium Australia and 3.22x larger than the Sapporo Dome!!!!!

Quite simply put it - this is a temple and the best stadium at that. Nothing will beat it for a LONG time!!!!

Just look at the size comparison of the old stadium:

Scorpion - not long to go, they are preparing to raise the arch which will be the worlds longest single span roof structure in the world (315m) and able to fit the London Eye underneath it!!!!

Work is ahead of schedule and may I remind you all that this is a national stadium. It aint a football, rugby or anyones stadium. It will only be used for internationals and important cup games. Ya all might be thinking were crazy - but your all be gagging to get in
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #10
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
(i played in the old one!!!)
How? Why? When?
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #11
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
No there are no other stadiums that will be on par to the new Wembley - that is why it will be so special. Every seat will be under cover, without affecting TV coverage or the quality of the turf - no other stadium in the history of the world to date has used digital technology to map and design the whole stadium to very strict variables. No other building in the world will have as many toilets as the new Wembley!

My god man - this is the largest stadium ever constructed. It will be 2.4x LARGER in accomodation area (sq m) than the Stade de France, It will also be 1.73x larger than Stadium Australia and 3.22x larger than the Sapporo Dome!!!!!

Quite simply put it - this is a temple and the best stadium at that. Nothing will beat it for a LONG time!!!!
Says who? How can you confirm these facts that there is no other stadium with the things you say?
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #12
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 861

Would you please refrain from delivering such facts about Wembley because there are Americans that might read them and have to accept the idea that there could be a stadium in England as impressive as any found in the USA.A nervous breakdown could possibly ensue and we dont need to spread misery. cheers.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:57 AM   #13
rantanamo

^I guess. I'm just saying, We've read a lot of 'facts' about what a lot of places have. I'm just looking for specifics. If it's the best, its the best. I have no beef with that. If you'll notice I never claim any American stadium as the world's best. That's a big title that would require knowing a lot about a lot of places in the world. I could say best in the NFL or MLB though.

BUT,

Quote:

what's this mean? What exactly differentiates it besides being large? QX sound system? Hi Definition display systems? That's all I'm saying. Mostly I've gotten a bunch of disparaging remarks about our sports and how cheesy our architecture is. The Cowboys new stadium($1+ billion) is to be officially announced in the next couple of days. Now if I come on here and pronounce it as far and away the best stadium ever, then don't you think the folks proclaiming Wembley as the best will have a cow!!!?!?!?!?
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #14
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

Likes (Received): 1

PROOF?

The following figures all taken from http://www.wembleystadium.com

Facts and Figures

1. With 90,000 seats the new Wembley will be the largest football stadium in the world with every seat under cover. There will be NO obstructed views.

2. The arch is 133 metres above the level of the external concourse.

3. The stadium roof rises to 52 metres above the pitch. This compares to the 35 metres tall Twin Towers of the old stadium.

4. The new Wembley has a circumference of 1 km.

5. The London Eye could fit between the top of the arch and the pitch.

6. The new roof will be over 11 acres. Four acres are moveable.

7. The rows of seating, if placed end to end, would stretch 54 kilometers.

8. 4,000 separate piles will form the foundations of the new stadium. The deepest of these, at 35 metres, is as deep as the Twin Towers were tall.

9. There will be 35 miles of heavy-duty power cables in the stadium.

10. With a span of 315 Metres, the arch will be the longest single span roof structure in the world.

11. With a diameter of 7.4 metres the arch is wide enough for a Channel Tunnel train to run through.

12. 90,000m3 of concrete and 23,000 tonnes of steel will be used in the construction of the new stadium.

13. The roof alone will weigh almost 7,000 tonnes.

14. At peak construction there will be 1,500 people working on site.

15. The new pitch will be 4 metres lower than the previous pitch.

16. Each of the two giant screens in new stadium is the size of 600 domestic television sets.

17. The new Wembley encloses 4,000,000 m3 (cubic metres) inside its walls and under its roof. This is the equivalent of 25,000 double decker buses or 7 billion pints of milk.

18. The total length of the escalators will be the same as a 400 metre running track.

19. There will be 2000 toilets - which WNSL estimate is more than any other building in the world.

20. There is more leg room in EVERY seat in the new Wembley Stadium than there was in the Royal Box of the old stadium.

Key Features

Athletics

Though designed primarily for football, rugby and music events, the new Wembley Stadium is also capable of hosting world-class athletic events.

A revolutionary solution has been developed to ensure that both football and athletics fans can enjoy perfect views, thanks to a temporary athletics platform that can be installed when necessary.

If Wembley is required to host a major athletics event, the prefabricated platform can be built over the lower bowl, covering some of the seats but creating the increased surface needed to fit an athletics track. The platform will take just a few weeks to install and remove, making Wembley a versatile, multi-sport venue.

There has been significant progress on securing land for a potential athletics warm-up facility after discussions with the London Borough of Brent. Four possible sites have been identified, with Sherrins Farm likely to prove the most deliverable solution.

The platform solution is very similar to the current proposals for the New York Olympic bid.

The Arch

The most striking highly visible feature of the new stadium will obviously be the 133 metre tall arch that sits above the north stand. The steel arch is 315 metres long and will become the longest single roof structure in the world. It will be visible right across London.

The arch supports all of the weight of the north roof and 60 per cent of the weight of the southern side. By using an arch to bear some of the weight of the southern roof it is possible to retract the south roof to allow light and air onto the pitch.

The arch also ensures that there are no pillars in the new stadium which could obstruct the views of fans.

The Sliding Roof and the Pitch

One of the key challenges of the design team was to keep the famously high standard of the Wembley pitch while, at the same time, designing a stadium with stands that are higher and closer to the pitch than the original stadium and give better uninterrupted views.

Many new stadia have suffered from poor pitches as the stands in the stadia can leave large sections of the pitch in almost permanent shadow. Grass demands direct sunlight to grow effectively.

For this reason, the sliding roof remains an integral part of the design for the new Wembley. Options such as a palletised pitch (moving a patchwork pitch in and out of the Stadium between events) or regularly re-laying the pitch were rejected as inappropriate for Wembley.

Instead, computer models have been made of air movement and sunlight on the existing pitch and the unique moving roof designed for the new Stadium.

This will be left open between events but can be moved to line up with the touchline within 15 minutes, ensuring every spectator is sheltered during an event.

A further bonus is an improved TV image for fans watching at home. In bright sunlight the roof can be withdrawn to allow clear TV pictures uninterrupted by heavy shadows on the pitch.

At 3pm on Cup Final day, for instance, only the two southern corner flags will be in shadow.

Royal Box

One of the most recognised features of Wembley is the presentation of trophies from the Royal Box rather than on the pitch. The new Royal Box is in the traditional position - in the middle of the north stand - as in the old Wembley Stadium.

The Bowl

A key feature of the current stadium is that almost all spectators sit in a single bowl rather than four separate stands. This is a central feature of the new design with almost all supporters or concert-goers able to share the event with 90,000 other fans and should contribute to a memorable experience and atmosphere.

The acoustics of the new ground will take the original stadium as a benchmark. Recordings taken during the 1999 FA Cup Final and models of the Stadium created by using three blasts of white noise during the England v Poland game in 2000 will form the basis of sophisticated computer models that will allow the design team to finely tune the acoustics of the new stadium.

The External Concourse

To accommodate an external concourse all around the Stadium, the new building will move 30 metres north, towards Wembley Park Station. This new stadium concourse will make it much easier, and safer, to enter and leave the stadium.

Orientation

The orientation of the Stadium remains east west, with the main faade pointing north down Olympic Way.

Stadium Comparison

*Stadium Capacity @Accommodation Area (sq. m) #Area per seat (m2) £Total Cost +Cost per seat

Wembley *90,000 @173,000 #1.92 £352,603,000 +3,918
Stade de France *80,000 @70,000 #0.88 £266,597,067 +3,332
Stadium Australia *80,000 @100,000 #1.25 £278,897,627 +3,468
Munich (new) *66,000 @- #- £248,239,862 +3,761
Arena Aufschalke *51,000 @58,796 #1.15 £180,432,432 +3,538
Sapporo Dome *42,122 @53,800 #1.28 £245,959,091 +5,839
Washington State *72,000 @- #- £359,642,567 +4,995
Denver *76,125 @- #- £338,503,518 +4,447
Cincinnatti *66,000 @- #- £275,875,744 +4,180
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:53 AM   #15
rantanamo

So in other words its a gonna be a great stadium. Thank you for the facts.

BUT, that is not proof of it being the world's greatest stadium, but proof of it being pretty cool with some amenities mentioned. Things like the single bowl(very common in new MLB baseball stadia to give walking perspective views) or shadow reducing design have been done before.

Quote:
With 90,000 seats the new Wembley will be the largest football stadium in the world with every seat under cover. There will be NO obstructed views.
This will be the quantifiable record beating out the Pontiac Silverdome(85,000) and Louisiana Superdome(83,000) though they are actually domes and not retractable roof stadia. I imagine JerryWorld will hold that record next. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't sound fantastic. It does and you guys should be very proud. But there are comparable places out there amenities, technologically and design wise. It's not the run away that its being made out to be.
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:54 AM   #16
kingdomca

All the facilities at new Wembley will be 2nd to none and combined with 90,000 seats, I think its fair to say it will be the best in the world, however I dont think it does Wembley justice to focus just on that.

What I like about Wembley is

-The fact, that it will be rarely used, and technically isnt needed!
No club will stage home games there.It will be the home of England and club finals, where you have to earn the right to get there.(but essentially such games could just be played at club grounds as they are almost everywhere else)
just 10 miles south of wembley another 82,000stadium is being expanded and a 60,000 stadium 10 miles east, even though the matches to be played there could easily fill wembley, but it will not be allowed. Frankly, I dont think that would do in the US.Litterally billions wasted.
Last week two London clubs played a euro quarter final. 200,000 tickets could easily have been sold, worldwide tv-audience far exceeded anything american sport could ever dream of, yet had wembley been ready again, the game would not be staged there.

-The fact that it will have a sliding roof just for the sake of the pitch for which the Old Wembley was so famous.It will not cover the field because football should be outdoors.
-The arch, which will look fantastic when fully lit for night games.

But basically , I dont think americans understand what Wembley is all about.
Its incredibly famous and known everywhere (except the US, really) why would Pele from Brazil refer to it the way he does, and he never played there!
football was invented in England and its club game is the most widely followed around the world.

Try a test of stadium name recognition, wembley will just be so far ahead, that its no contest.

If the US should have something that could compare, then imagine the super bowl always being played at the same stadium. and the college super bowl (if there is such a thing) also played there, and further imagine that american football was the worlds biggest sport and a team USA played all their home games at this stadium, then it might compare.

Last edited by kingdomca; April 14th, 2004 at 04:08 AM.
kingdomca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #17
nick_taylor

Likes (Received):

Rantanamo - no stadium has as of yet used digital technology and the likes for stadium design. There is no stadium in the world that can say they have the exact same audio signature of the previous stadium. The new Wembley will - and that is why it was so famous, its atmosphere not only as a football stadium but as a music venue (remember Live Aid). It aint the Church of Football for no reason ya know.

What building on the planet has 2,000 toilets? It goes beyond what every other stadium has done in the past. That is why it is a runaway, because it is not doing the bog-standard stadium job like every other stadium.

Kingdomca - this stadium is not being paid by the tax payer, but a private company. This stadium will be the undisputed champion and dont worry Rantanamo - I find it hard to digest its impressiveness
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #18
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

Rantanamo - everyone will have a different view on which stadium they think is the best in the World. And until the new Wembley is finished we wont truly be able to judge it. But from the facts we have been given, and all the renderings that have been released this stadium looks like it will be a very strong contender for the best stadiun in the world, But not only for its impressive facts and sheer size, but also for what wembley represents, every professional footballer in the world will have heard of wembley and most will long for the day that they get to play in it, it really is the holy grail of football.

The Uk deserves have a moment of pride, this project is ahead of schedule, its being funded by private investment (not tax), its a stunning piece of architecture in its own right. Every other major project in the Uk gets attacted for being over budget, over schedule, outdated, plagued by little englander NIMBY's e.t.c.
NothingBetterToDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #19
clarky

Likes (Received): 607

http://www.wembleystadium.com/brilli...hoto_diary.htm
Latest pic
clarky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:14 PM   #20
themongrel

the new wembley should be compared to the vatican not other stadiums. this will be the true home of the greatest sport ever. this is my church.
themongrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
football, london, soccer, uefa euro 2020