LONDON - Wembley Stadium (90,000) - UEFA EURO 2020 - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #101
raswok15

Likes (Received): 9

Nick - Are you 5 years old (am I being generous !!!) or older!!!? I would feel really guilty if myself and others had been making fun of a little kid.

P.S. Instructions on how to answer for the benefit of nick-taylor:

A 'Yes' or 'No' answer is sufficent no DAFT 2 min calculations are required ...and NO the answer is not 197,714!!!
raswok15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #102
Philip Cronin

Likes (Received): 1

I think "accomodation area" is the amount of floorspace in the building, inside and outside, not a measure of the size of the bowl.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #103
Sparks

Likes (Received): 414

From todays Guardian

Construction of the new Wembley stadium suffered a big setback yesterday after the company supplying much of the 23,000 tonnes of steelwork needed for the project downed tools in a dispute with the main contractor.
Cleveland Bridge, which erected the stadium's spectacular 315 metre-long arch, is refusing to provide any more bespoke steelwork, claiming that Multiplex, the Australian company coordinating the build, has failed to pay its bills.

The dispute will almost certainly cause delays to the £757m project, though Multiplex insisted it would not result in the postponement of the stadium's opening, scheduled for early 2006.

But the row between two of the most high-profile companies working on the stadium is a fresh embarrassment to the Football Association at a time when it is embroiled in the scandal which has led to the resignation of its chief executive, Mark Palios.

Cleveland Bridge told Multiplex it had no alternative but to cease work on the project and instructed its solicitors to issue proceedings in the technology and construction court, an offshoot of the high court.

Since work began in September 2002, there have been a series of disputes between Cleveland Bridge and Multiplex. It is understood that these include disagreements over design changes and the schedule.

At the end of June it was announced that Cleveland Bridge would stop working at the site and be replaced by a Dutch company, Hollandia.

But it was agreed that Cleveland Bridge would continue to provide steel for the project. At first, the arrangement seemed to be working. Cleveland Bridge continued to produce the bespoke steelwork at its base in Darlington and dropped the finished product off at the gates outside Wembley.

But the arrangement collapsed acrimoniously. In a statement, Cleveland Bridge said it "now has no faith in Multiplex honouring its commitments and paying the sums due". Industry sources say Cleveland Bridge alleges it is owed around £5m.

Cleveland Bridge conceded that its decision could lead to redundancies in Darlington but insisted it had no choice.

A spokeswoman for Multiplex refused to comment, saying the matter was "in the hands of lawyers". But she insisted that the company was confident it would still deliver the stadium on time. She added: "We will get steel from elsewhere."

Multiplex, which built the Olympic stadium in Sydney, is seen in the industry as a demanding taskmaster and has upset several contractors over Wembley.

It is believed there is enough steel already on site to keep construction workers busy for at least the next few days.

Industry experts said Multiplex was bound to have made contingency plans as its relationship with Cleveland Bridge deteriorated.

Hollandia itself has plants in which the sort of steelwork needed for Wembley can be fabricated.

Frank Westerman, regional officer for the union Amicus, which represents 205 steelworkers at Wembley, anticipated that the row would cause "short-term" disruption.

He said some of the most complicated steelwork on the stands - more technically demanding even than the arch - was still to be done.

Mr Westerman said: "This sort of steelwork is made and brought to site on a 'just in time' basis. This is bound to cause a hiatus and will be worrying to our members."

Wembley National Stadium Project, the subsidiary of the FA responsible for building and running the stadium, also refused to comment in detail. But a spokesman said it had been assured that the timetable would not be affected.

A WNSP source pointed out that it had agreed a fixed price for the stadium with Multiplex.

But the timing of the dispute could not be worse, not least because one of Mr Palios's priorities had been to deal with the financial problems which have surrounded the building of the stadium.

Though WNSP and Multiplex insist the build is on schedule, not all in the industry are convinced. The well-respected Construction News has suggested that it may be too much behind schedule.

Key partners of WNSP were reluctant to be drawn into the dispute yesterday. A spokesman for the London Development Agency said: "This doesn't affect our commitment to the project."
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #104
Sparks

Video of the arch going up

http://www.wembleystadium.com/static...eo/default.htm
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #105
raswok15

Latest construction photos released on the wembley website...

...photos seem a few weeks old, as various sections of framework for the lower tiers have now also been added but not shown. Anyway looks quite impressive already.
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #106
Sparks

I posted this in the UK section it seems the roof will be the key to it opening on time or not (where have we heard that before?)

'Wembley to miss deadline'

By Paul Waugh, Evening Standard, Deputy Political Editor
13 August 2004

The row over the Wembley Stadium project reignited today when a former Cabinet minister claimed the scheme could miss its completion deadline.

Former health secretary Alan Milburn warned a dispute between building contractors could mean the £750 million stadium was not ready for the FA Cup Final in April 2006. Mr Milburn called on the Football Association and Wembley National Stadium Ltd to investigate claims that the works will be delayed by up to nine months.

The FA stressed the project was still on schedule despite the falling-out between lead contractor Multiplex and North Eastbased firm Cleveland Bridge.

Cleveland Bridge, a company that supplied the stadium's £65million arch, was replaced on the project this month by Dutch firm Hollandia. The company is now locked in a legal battle over the works but the loss of the contract has forced it to issue 95 redundancy notices to workers at its factory in Darlington, Mr Milburn's constituency.

In a letter to acting FA chief executive David Davies, Mr Milburn said while the prospect of job losses was of local concern in the North-East, the overall Wembley saga was "a matter of national concern".

The former Cabinet minister said without Cleveland Bridge's expertise in building the new roof for the stadium, the whole project "will be substantially delayed" and the planned opening date of April 2006 will be missed.

"Nobody wants to see a contractual dispute leading to delays on what is a prestigious new national stadium. For that reason I hope the FA will consider investigating the background to this dispute and its consequences," he wrote.

Cleveland Bridge claims the new roof for the 90,000-seat venue may not be in place by May 2006 and the stadium not ready for opening until January 2007.

But an FA spokesman told the Evening Standard that it would not be holding an inquiry into the claims because it had been told by building experts that the row would not affect the schedule of construction.

Multiplex had an agreement to build the project to cost and on time and had assured WNSL that its new contractor could do the job. The Government was monitoring the works to ensure it did not fall behind schedule, the spokesman added. It is understood one of the reasons the FA is confident about finishing the works on time is that Hollandia took on many of the staff hired by Cleveland Bridge
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #107
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 112

The Jewel of the suburbs!
Old September 9th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #108
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

latest pics for august

And some pics from last months topping out ceremony

Now tell me that was not sexy!!!!!
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #109
Imperial
The Wealth of Nations

Likes (Received): 5

New Wembley stadium look great, I have hopes that Poland will play from England on this stadium in these eliminations to WC 2006
Imperial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #110
raswok15

Two of the latest construction pics from the wembley website (http://www.wembleystadium.com )

Old October 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #111
Sparks

I think we can see from that work has certainly slowed.
Old October 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #112
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

I think some people are just looking for this to fail.... wake up!!! look at it... its gonna be the best stadium in the world! it looks gorgeous! its a civil engineering feat in itself! stop wishing it to fail!
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #113
Mongo8780

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobRit
latest pics for august

It took me a second to realize those weren't nooses.
Mongo8780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #114
Philip Cronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobRit
I think some people are just looking for this to fail.... wake up!!! look at it... its gonna be the best stadium in the world! it looks gorgeous! its a civil engineering feat in itself! stop wishing it to fail!
Not me. I just want the builders to be honest about what is happening. There is a wall of silence. This is not acceptable in a project that is part lottery funded and is being built on behalf of a non-profit making national institution. And it is not the least bit gorgeous. It is just the usual glass and steel beloved by aesthetically challenged engineers - but on an exceptional scale. The interior will be impressive, but the body of the exterior is just a grey smudge and the arch has no merits except size.
Philip Cronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #115
raswok15

The English FA has today officially bid for the 2007 UEFA Champions League final to be held at the new wembley stadium - http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsFromT...ester_Bids.htm
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #116
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 93

From my gaff in Hendon. I can see Webley stadium from my window, it looks so huge and menacing sitting there on the horizon, I can honestly say I have never seen a stadium that looks so large, even if it is uncomplete.

And don't get me started on when that arch rarely lights up at night. Wonderful.
Sitback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:13 AM   #117
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

It is a fact though that the new wembley stadium will have more room per person than any other in the world (that i know of)
Englishman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #118
th0m
oemoemenemoe

When is Wembley supposed to be ready for games? (And is it on schedule )

Awesome stadium, best stadium of Europe to say the least, I don't feel like comparing it to American stadiums, most of them are quite different.
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #119
Sparks

Well Multiplex cleverly never actually said when the stadium would be finished they just said it would be ready for the 2006 FA Cup (May). But as this will be a sell out they need to host a number of smaller events first, the FA also want to fully open the stadium with an England match. So unofficially the stadium is due to be finished around Feb 06 but if it doesn't make this date multiplex won't get into trouble.

As for it's progress I would say it's slightly behind schedule at the moment but there is still a good chance that it will be finished by early 2006, just 2 months ago it was along way behind due to a shortage of steel, but they have caught up somewhat since then.

This is what the wembley website states what should be happening right now.

Late 2004
The fit out of the stadium gets substantially underway with materials for changing rooms, toilets and restaurants all arriving on site.

I don't think they are that stage yet.
Old November 19th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #120
Sparks

October pics

http://www.wembleystadium.com/brilli...04/default.htm
Advertisement

Tags
football, london, soccer, uefa euro 2020