Will the age of the car ever return? - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #21
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 2103

It never was about cars. Cars aren't going anywhere. I suspect anti-freeway sentiments are more about NIMBYism and are anti-growth in general, the same people turn out to protest new apartment buildings and rail transit lines. They want everyone to live in rural suburbia and be self-employed non commuters, or are just "drawbridge" people who move to unspoiled places then hypocritically want to prevent anyone else from coming to their slice of paradise and ruining it.

It is good that destructive urban freeway plans are dead and gone and can only return if they involve tunneling. I'm not against long-distance free roads in remote parts of the US or toll roads in the suburbs though.

What should die and never come back was the government social engineering to force everyone to live in suburbs and drive by subsidizing roads at the expense of transit and using land use planning to mandate all new development be suburban in nature.

I think in the future self-driving robot cars will be commonplace. One advantage of these vehicles is they'd blur the line between owning a vehicle and hailing a taxi, they'd be able to merge and pass another with perfect precision reducing both congestion and making widespread grade seperated roads unnecessary, and they'd valet park themselves making front-door parking unnecessary as well. Essentially, you'd have the convenience of a car but in a form that is compatible with a city center. There would probably still be rush hour transit service of course, just to keep the streets from being completely overflowing with them, and they'd actually benefit transit IMO because they'd solve the last mile problem. You could take a train somewhere and a private vehicle would be at the station for you rather than having to wait forever for a stupid bus to come.

The question is whether we can drop our suburban mindset. The future of cities could either be wonderful, where a robot taxi becomes another transportation option that makes life much easier when you have to bring home groceries or have an appointment on a sunday afternoon when bus service is limited.

It could also be positively dystopian where robot cars are a tool for controlling society. The vehicle loads your profile of places you are and aren't allowed to go, people are shunted between their mass produced suburban living zones and consumer consumption zones in a hermetically sealed bubble. And if cars can drive themselves, just cut out the middle man and make a delivery unit. Now you never have to leave your home. It's safer that way. Soon we'll be like those people in Wall-E :P

LtBk, Svartmetall liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

Cars will continue to be important as a transportation between cities, thats what motorways are for. Inner city motorways was never a good idea.
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #23
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 6

I don't picture cars going away any time soon unless something ends up killing off the human race but I do picture that in the future like in the next 30 to 50 years you might see say 25% to 35% less cars on the road today. But depends on how fast new transit systems grow and how many people use them.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM   #24
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
It never was about cars. Cars aren't going anywhere. I suspect anti-freeway sentiments are more about NIMBYism and are anti-growth in general, the same people turn out to protest new apartment buildings and rail transit lines. They want everyone to live in rural suburbia and be self-employed non commuters, or are just "drawbridge" people who move to unspoiled places then hypocritically want to prevent anyone else from coming to their slice of paradise and ruining it.

It is good that destructive urban freeway plans are dead and gone and can only return if they involve tunneling. I'm not against long-distance free roads in remote parts of the US or toll roads in the suburbs though.

What should die and never come back was the government social engineering to force everyone to live in suburbs and drive by subsidizing roads at the expense of transit and using land use planning to mandate all new development be suburban in nature.

I think in the future self-driving robot cars will be commonplace. One advantage of these vehicles is they'd blur the line between owning a vehicle and hailing a taxi, they'd be able to merge and pass another with perfect precision reducing both congestion and making widespread grade seperated roads unnecessary, and they'd valet park themselves making front-door parking unnecessary as well. Essentially, you'd have the convenience of a car but in a form that is compatible with a city center. There would probably still be rush hour transit service of course, just to keep the streets from being completely overflowing with them, and they'd actually benefit transit IMO because they'd solve the last mile problem. You could take a train somewhere and a private vehicle would be at the station for you rather than having to wait forever for a stupid bus to come.

The question is whether we can drop our suburban mindset. The future of cities could either be wonderful, where a robot taxi becomes another transportation option that makes life much easier when you have to bring home groceries or have an appointment on a sunday afternoon when bus service is limited.

It could also be positively dystopian where robot cars are a tool for controlling society. The vehicle loads your profile of places you are and aren't allowed to go, people are shunted between their mass produced suburban living zones and consumer consumption zones in a hermetically sealed bubble. And if cars can drive themselves, just cut out the middle man and make a delivery unit. Now you never have to leave your home. It's safer that way. Soon we'll be like those people in Wall-E :P
+1
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM   #25
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 6

I would be very afraid of things turning into Wall-E more then the Terminator happening with these automatic driving cars and other things that prevent people from taking responsibility for their actions and to go out and interact with people. Also people don't pay enough attention when driving as of now and turning cars into driving I phones might not be such a good idea for the future.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #26
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Will the age of the car ever return?

For better or worse, the age of the car is just beginning.

In China, India, Africa, etc.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #27
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 2105

I think it's far from over. The only thing changing is that cars are becoming more efficient, and technologically advanced to the point of having an auto-drive feature probably commonplace in as little as another 2 decades (possibly sooner).

As already said you have vast swaths of the planet where cars aren't yet commonplace among at least half of the population. So the total number of cars will increase exponentially for decades to come. However, urbanity slowly moving towards multiple forms of transportation, and smart planning means that auto dependency will slowly become a thing of the past. I like to look at it as the automobile becoming more of a luxurious item (say like owning an TV) than a necessity in the future. More people won't need it, but they will have one for whenever they wished to travel or simply get around town.

Chrissib liked this post
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:39 PM   #28
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
But what if in some point in the future some new fuel is developed...
Makes no pollution, is really cheap, easy to buy etc
Chances for that are slim. And even then car only designs are inherently pedestrian hostile as cars, no matter how they are propelled need amounts of space that are prohibitive to designs that are acceptable for pedestrian layouts.

In other words, if you don't want a city where you are doomed to use the car or be stranded, you can't have a return of the car age.
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #29
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Cars aren't going anywhere, but the days of auto-centric developments and planning are coming to an end.
Couldn't agree more that's the essencial part of this topic

CNB30 liked this post
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #30
luife100
Celayence

Likes (Received): 2603

The cars age is far to be over, it will be over when we find another vehicle capable of give us the same benefits that the car and some advantages, like flying or something else (in one or two centurys). Meanwhile, a great step pending is to use electric motors, cleaner, more efficient and healthier for us than the oil-ones. Another step to avoid the traffic and many other issues, is to make the cars significative smaller and, as it was stated, make them self-driving.

The public transportation is good but doesn't cover all the needs, specially in the country.
luife100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #31
Treka

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luife100 View Post
The cars age is far to be over, it will be over when we find another vehicle capable of give us the same benefits that the car and some advantages, like flying or something else (in one or two centurys). Meanwhile, a great step pending is to use electric motors, cleaner, more efficient and healthier for us than the oil-ones. Another step to avoid the traffic and many other issues, is to make the cars significative smaller and, as it was stated, make them self-driving.

The public transportation is good but doesn't cover all the needs, specially in the country.
maybe teleportation devices?
Treka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #32
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by luife100 View Post

What we need is not some new vehicle, but rather more walkable and urban living arrangements.

Buildings Built Pre 1910>>>Post 1910

Ornament is no crime, it's an obligation.

Follow "Dank Historic Architecture memes for Premodern Teens" on Facebook
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #33
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 1014

While it is impossible for car traffic to be eliminated entirely, an excellent transportation network for a major city can consist of freeways and arterials; airports; and light rail/tram/metro systems, commuter rail, and intercity rail.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #34
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 11903

I think the biggest enemy of the car is urbanization itself. When commute times start exceeding 45 minutes, the outer limit of sprawl becomes visible. Not many people want to waste their time commuting.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #35
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
I think the biggest enemy of the car is urbanization itself. When commute times start exceeding 45 minutes, the outer limit of sprawl becomes visible. Not many people want to waste their time commuting.
And the biggest enemy of urbanization is the car

Buildings Built Pre 1910>>>Post 1910

Ornament is no crime, it's an obligation.

Follow "Dank Historic Architecture memes for Premodern Teens" on Facebook
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #36
forexticks

Likes (Received): 4

It depends on the country. Some countries have a culture of cars whilst other more forward thinking countries are creating solutions to reduce car usage.
forexticks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #37
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 1255

As a car lover I will never accept the death of private personal transport which you can drive your self. I will continue driving as long as it is possible.

In urban areas I can use public transport if it is good but I would still want to cruise along country roads in my own car.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Its where the rich use public transportation.
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #38
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 315

From what I have seen is that cars are only really seen as bad in an environmental way. If there was a way to have cars that didn't make any pollution at all like the few electric cars there then maybe people would look at them in a more positive way

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #39
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 1044

Whhen did the age of the car end?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #40
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Whhen did the age of the car end?
When it became 'good' to downgrade roads, and replace motorway proposals with rail routes instead...Both of those have happened near me.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement