VIENNA | Projects & Construction - Page 55 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:51 PM   #1081
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Likes (Received): 27823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_by_the_Neptunes View Post

Landstraßer Gürtel 17

Vienna Sightseeing! The residential next to it was built in 2014!
Hit_by_the_Neptunes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #1082
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

The replacement:

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:54 PM   #1083
wakka12

Likes (Received): 4042

Oh no not this again I liked the decent renovation posts better
I think that old building was really quite beautiful. At least the replacement isnt that ugly.

The Caspian liked this post
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2018, 10:57 PM   #1084
Galro

Likes (Received): 13971

They of course had to decide to demolish the best looking* building in the row.

*And best preserved I would guess as they other looks like they might have been stripped bare of ornamentation.
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:02 PM   #1085
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I noticed that, too. I hope it's just the bad quality visualisation. This really is a scandal that needs to be stopped now!
Vienna is getting worse in this regard any day. Totally ruining its cityscape.

Apparently they've also torn down the old building next to it, the white one at the centre:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...oramio_(1).jpg

Unbelievable.
From the street level

Old May 4th, 2018, 11:12 PM   #1086
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
They of course had to decide to demolish the best looking* building in the row.

*And best preserved I would guess as they other looks like they might have been stripped bare of ornamentation.

True!

Old May 4th, 2018, 11:18 PM   #1087
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

In the northern outskirts // Brünner Straße 126 // 21st District [completed 2017]

Old May 5th, 2018, 12:09 AM   #1088
Architecture lover
Adriatic Consciousness

Likes (Received): 4171

The new 'modern' building looks like zero effort was put into its aesthetics. Like why?
Vienna should consider quality glass, it can be transparent or reflective, and steel elements, lets say various ornaments made of steel which can be very basic like simple geometrical forms, or whatever, that doesn't necessarily have to be expensive.
Previously it was stated that finance is not an issue, but the more I look at the residential projects, the more I realize that yes they do cut on finance. The beauty of modern architecture is that you can definitely have a nice building that doesn't come with an astronomic price. I think Vienna should do more efforts in constructing economically wise architecture indeed, but in the same time it should take care of the building's aesthetics with just a few touches here or there. What can I say, may the future bring better projects to this city.

M. VITRUVIUS POLLIO | DE ARCHITECTURA | LIBER TERTIUS
Caput Primum
Aedium compositio constat ex symmetria, cuius rationem diligentissime architecti tenere debent. Ea autem paritur a proportione, quae graece analogia dicitur.
Proportio est ratae partis membrorum in omni opere totiusque commodulatio, ex qua ratio efficitur symmetriarum. Namque non potest aedis ulla sine symmetria
atque proportione rationem habere compositionis, nisi uti ad hominis bene figurati membrorum habuerit exactam rationem.

Koloman, The Caspian liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:45 AM   #1089
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Residential Building Schloßhofer Straße // 21st District // U/C

Quote:

Old May 5th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #1090
Hit_by_the_Neptunes
User No More

Right across the street another rooftop project:

"Lehndorfer Hof"

1900 vs. 2017

The new roof:

goodybear, Koloman liked this post
Old May 5th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #1091
Towers_&_Spires

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:

There are plans for further demolitions in the north of the 3rd district:

Landstraßer Gürtel 17

Ungargasse 25

Baumgasse 71

Hetzgasse 8
God I wish I didn't love beautiful architecture so much. These are lovely, especially the first and last one. Such a shame.

That said, unless I mistranslated it, I found an article dated to last November that says the demolition on Hetzgasse 8 has been outlawed by the courts.

https://kurier.at/chronik/wien/hetzg...ss/298.295.115

goodybear, RiseUp, wakka12 liked this post
Towers_&_Spires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #1092
goodybear
I <3 Frankfurt&Melbourne

Likes (Received): 2194

Quote:
From the street level

What really annoys me about this one is they could have literally replaced the ugly two buildings to the left of it, but no, they just had to demolish the nicer one to the right of them.

RiseUp, The Caspian liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 12:25 PM   #1093
maxxe
Registered Berliner

Likes (Received): 9305

I have one question ...
Is Vienna out of its freaking mind? It seems like they is not even trying to preserve its old, historical buildings. All i see are some beautiful old buildings worth a reconstruction or a rehabilitation beeing torn down and replaced by some cheap, modernistic crap ... kind of sad to see.
maxxe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #1094
wakka12

Yeh it seems almost as though there isnt even any kind of modern architectural conservation laws in place in most of these areas? Its the exact same kind of relaxed attitude that left many american cities with so little historical architecture remaining

The Caspian liked this post
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #1095
Turgeman

Likes (Received): 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Yeh it seems almost as though there isnt even any kind of modern architectural conservation laws in place in most of these areas? Its the exact same kind of relaxed attitude that left many american cities with so little historical architecture remaining
With all due respect, when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the Americas and the cities you think about were nothing but plains, Vienna was already a major city full of remarkable buildings:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._098v99r_1.png
Turgeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:41 PM   #1096
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turgeman View Post
With all due respect, when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the Americas and the cities you think about were nothing but plains, Vienna was already a major city full of remarkable buildings:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._098v99r_1.png
How is that related to my point? Yes thats true, american cities grew very quickly in a very short space of time but still had some really nice architecture from late 19th and early 20th C that was largely demolished in many american cities over the course of the rest of the 20th an 21st C

Rokugatsu liked this post
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #1097
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3734

Quote:
I have no problem with graffiti but thats not graffiti. Thats malicious vandalism
I do have a problem with it if it's allowed on buildings like these..
[2018] > Oberjoch, Amsterdam, Detroit, Erfurt, Dresden, Görlitz, Nürnberg, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Grand Rapids, Denver, Colorado Springs, Heidelberg, Allgäu, Austria, Reims, Épernay, Bruges, Bodensee, Berlin, Vancouver, Kelowna, Banff
[2019] > Ulm, Strasbourg, Denver, Utah, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Colorado Springs, Oklahoma City, Luzern, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Thun, Bern

wakka12, The Caspian liked this post
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 01:52 PM   #1098
Turgeman

Quote:
How is that related to my point? Yes thats true, american cities grew very quickly in a very short space of time but still had some really nice architecture from late 19th and early 20th C that was largely demolished in many american cities over the course of the rest of the 20th an 21st C
It relates to your point thusly: The Viennese can always say (and indeed, that's what they do) "we demolish our buildings from 1900 but we take great care of our buildings from 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700". The Americans can't say that.

wakka12 liked this post
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:23 PM   #1099
wakka12

Do they actually say 'we demolish 19th c buildings'?? So all these demolitions are some kind of point or something?
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:37 PM   #1100
Turgeman

Quote:
Do they actually say 'we demolish 19th c buildings'?? So all these demolitions are some kind of point or something?
Close enough: http://www.marschler.at/wien-1900/22...1-hopfhaus.htm
Quote:
Antwort des Bundesdenkmalamtes vom 9. Oktober 2014
Sehr geehrter Herr Marschler!

Vielen Dank für Ihre Emailanfrage bezüglich der Denkmalwürdigkeit des Objekts 1220 Wien, Donaufelderstraße 241, des sogenannten Hopf-Hauses.

Bereits im Jahr 1996 prüfte das Bundesdenkmalamt die Denkmalwürdigkeit des Hopf-Hauses und stellt in einer zusammenfassenden Stellungnahme fest, dass dem Objekt nicht die vom Gesetz geforderte historische, künstlerische oder kulturelle Bedeutung für die österreichische Denkmallandschaft zukommt, die ein öffentliches Interesse an der Unterschutzstellung eines Baudenkmals begründen muss.

Aus gegebenem Anlass und Bezug nehmend auf mehrere Anfragen hinsichtlich der Denkmalwürdigkeit des Objekts beschäftigte sich das Bundesdenkmalamt erneut mit dem Objekt und kam wiederum zu dem Schluss, dass dem Objekt keine Denkmalwürdigkeit im Sinne des Gesetzes zukommt. Die Unterschutzstellung eines Baudenkmals stellt einen erheblichen Eingriff in das Eigentumsrecht dar und bedarf daher einer schlüssigen Begründung im Sinne des Denkmalschutzgesetzes. Dieses zielt bei der Unterschutzstellung eines Einzeldenkmals nicht auf die Erhaltung stadträumlicher Strukturen sondern allein auf die oben angesprochenen Qualitäten des Einzeldenkmals, dessen Verlust eine Beeinträchtigung des österreichischen Kulturgutbestandes in seiner Gesamtsicht hinsichtlich Qualität, ausreichender Vielzahl, Vielfalt und Verteilung bedeuten würde. So sehr es sich beim Hopf-Haus um ein gut erhaltenes Beispiel der österreichischen Architektur nach 1900 handeln mag, die besonderen Qualitäten die seine Unterschutzstellung rechtfertigen würden, kommen ihm aber nicht zu.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Univ.-Doz. Dr. Friedrich Dahm
Landeskonservator für Wien
i. A. Mag. Michael Rainer
Landeskonservatorat für Wien
For those who don't speak German: this official letter says that the status of the building has been examined twice by the federal commission and that it has twice been found as not worthy of preservation. It can't get more deliberate than that.

wakka12, Koloman, The Caspian liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
vienna, wenen