DISCUSS: Best North American Skylines - Page 553 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers
» Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2019, 09:29 PM   #11041
lovecities888

Likes (Received): 269

In terms of Canadian skylines, I'm just not impressed at all with Montreal's. It does look dated and doing some research, there isn't even a building that is 700 ft tall. Even though Vancouver doesn't either, I like the look of it with a lot of high rise buildings that is dense and stretches out. I love tall buildings that are over 1000 ft tall too, and I always complain that SF has only 1. It is an outrage that both Vancouver and Montreal doesn't even have a building that is over 700 ft tall though.
lovecities888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #11042
DZH22

Likes (Received): 3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
In terms of Canadian skylines, I'm just not impressed at all with Montreal's. It does look dated and doing some research, there isn't even a building that is 700 ft tall. Even though Vancouver doesn't either, I like the look of it with a lot of high rise buildings that is dense and stretches out. I love tall buildings that are over 1000 ft tall too, and I always complain that SF has only 1. It is an outrage that both Vancouver and Montreal doesn't even have a building that is over 700 ft tall though.
They are both stunted due to protected mountain-view site lines. However, Montreal's "mountain" is a lot more pathetic than the ones out by Vancouver. The Montreal height limit doesn't really make a lot of sense in that regard. They have 2 new buildings on the way that are exactly 200m. It's going to eventually look kind of silly when it has like 10 buildings all around the exact same height topping off the skyline!

A Chicagoan liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 12:33 AM   #11043
lovecities888

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
They are both stunted due to protected mountain-view site lines. However, Montreal's "mountain" is a lot more pathetic than the ones out by Vancouver. The Montreal height limit doesn't really make a lot of sense in that regard. They have 2 new buildings on the way that are exactly 200m. It's going to eventually look kind of silly when it has like 10 buildings all around the exact same height topping off the skyline!
I'm also not a big fan of Montreal as a city having visited. Toronto and Vancouver is way better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2019, 01:13 AM   #11044
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecities888 View Post
I'm also not a big fan of Montreal as a city having visited. Toronto and Vancouver is way better.
Ohhhh, as a city I probably rate Montreal my 2nd favorite in North America that I have been to, right behind my own of course. I love it there. I actually got mugged in the subway and STILL rate it that highly.

EDIT: Let's get some pics of this wonderful city.

_DSC6090-2015 by Vickie Lacharité, on Flickr

Unbelievable street level density. Acquits itself well compared to the other Northeastern powerhouses.

Montréal à vol d'oiseau by jeremy Savoie, on Flickr

bodegavendetta, dimes liked this post

Last edited by DZH22; September 21st, 2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old September 21st, 2019, 01:40 AM   #11045
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 374

Quote:
This is a terrible analogy for skylines. A better analogy would have been to compare men and not women, because taller men actually have lots of advantages in terms of finding mates and even getting paid more.

However, it's still a terrible analogy. Because really, what on earth does a pretty woman have to do with a SKYLINE? You could think a "short petite" skyline like Providence is pretty but that doesn't mean it's a good SKYLINE or comparable to substantially larger ones.

In fact, the analogy is so bad that to put it in proper terms, it would be like saying Quebec has a better skyline than Toronto because Quebec is prettier. It's preposterous. There's a reason I didn't respond to it the first time around. It's not even like comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing apples to airplanes.
I've encountered people who prefer Quebec's skyline. In the same way that you find a large skyline impressive for its size, they find a grand, historical skyline impressive for its uniqueness and character. Are you actually saying that people having different tastes and different opinions on what makes for a good, attractive is skyline preposterous?

Quote:
At the end of the day, one can prefer the looks of City A while still admitting that City B has the better skyline. I do it all the time with Toronto. If you completely ignore the unbiased data of height, mass, and quantity, then you are ignoring the entire essence of what makes up a skyline. You would also be doing your own city the biggest disservice of all.
It seems that the only thing anyone is having trouble understanding is that bigger does not objectively mean better - it subjectively means better for people who place a high value on size. You seem to be using the terms almost interchangeably. That's the very reason why the analogy I made was so valuable; it illustrates how people can think completely different traits look attractive. Size plays a big part in determining what's better for your opinion personally but you can't seem to understand that this isn't universally the case for everyone.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:21 AM   #11046
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I've encountered people who prefer Quebec's skyline. In the same way that you find a large skyline impressive for its size, they find a grand, historical skyline impressive for its uniqueness and character. Are you actually saying that people having different tastes and different opinions on what makes for a good, attractive is skyline preposterous?
Here's a good way to think of it. Let's say somebody came up to you, with absolutely zero background, and said "I know nothing about Toronto and Quebec but I can only visit one. I really love skylines and want to go to the city with the better skyline. Which city should I pick? Also, I am hopping on a bus in like 5 seconds so you have no time to say anything besides the name of the city...."

In the above scenario, would you really feel comfortable telling them the Quebec skyline is better than Toronto, or even *might be* better than Toronto?

As Will Ferrell once said, I feel like I am taking crazy pills! You're really stretching things here. I can't take this. Stop. If you are trying to argue that the Quebec skyline is better than the Toronto skyline then you belong on a different website, or maybe even a different planet. You can certainly say it's a prettier city, but it is NOT a better skyline and the other side has no argument here!

A Chicagoan liked this post
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:28 AM   #11047
FlashFire926

Likes (Received): 3

You're opinion is not objective. If someone prefers Quebec City over Toronto, that's perfectly fine, regardless if you think if it's ridiculous or not. It's their personal opinion, get over it.

And lol to that absolute cherry picked scenario....

Taller, Better liked this post
FlashFire926 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 02:33 AM   #11048
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFire926 View Post
You're opinion is not objective. If someone prefers Quebec City over Toronto, that's perfectly fine, regardless if you think if it's ridiculous or not. It's their personal opinion, get over it.

And lol to that absolute cherry picked scenario....
You can prefer a CITY while admitting that the other city's SKYLINE is better.

I'm sorry but if you want to make an argument that a city that has 125 buildings taller than another city's tallest (true story) somehow has the worse skyline, then you should probably show yourself the door.
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:24 AM   #11049
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 3106

Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with someone liking Quebec's skyline better than Toronto (or rather, saying it's "better'). There used to be a guy on here who thought that Nijmegen was the best skyline in the world!
Old September 21st, 2019, 04:07 AM   #11050
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1450

Quote:
Here's a good way to think of it. Let's say somebody came up to you, with absolutely zero background, and said "I know nothing about Toronto and Quebec but I can only visit one. I really love skylines and want to go to the city with the better skyline. Which city should I pick? Also, I am hopping on a bus in like 5 seconds so you have no time to say anything besides the name of the city...."

In the above scenario, would you really feel comfortable telling them the Quebec skyline is better than Toronto, or even *might be* better than Toronto?
The answer could have been - I like Quebec City's skyline but majority prefer Toronto's. The tourist will probably go with the majority. But that still does not mean that ALL will prefer Toronto's skyline. Everyone is different and they have their own opinion. Just like politics. You will find people who love one party and hate the other and vice versa. You can't just say that everyone in the other camp is wrong.

FlashFire926 liked this post
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 04:50 AM   #11051
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14477

Quote:

I'd tell him he shouldn't be figuring this out 5 seconds before his trip. Besides, on this thread we're deciding for ourselves based on what we personally like, not making a decision for someone else.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Abhishek901, FlashFire926 liked this post
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 04:52 AM   #11052
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 14477

The Six

Taking In The View by Flipkeat, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Taller, Better, Brandon14 liked this post
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:33 AM   #11053
DZH22

Here is Providence which is, of course, the single best skyline in North America. It gets an 11/10. If somebody said they wanted to see the best skyline on the continent I would unabashedly tell them: "Go to Providence." In fact, I think this might be the best in the world. If I put it in the World's Best Skyline thread I expect an army of you defending my right to do so. Remember kids, there are no wrong answers.

IMG_5043 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_5039 by David Z, on Flickr
Old September 21st, 2019, 06:43 AM   #11054
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 77961

Whatever you do is none of our business provided some of our members agree the choices you picked are worth to mention, otherwise, we will consider whoever post a skyline with only a handful of mid rises in the photos is trolling, so be careful what you post and don't push it.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:17 AM   #11055
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Whatever you do is none of our business provided some of our members agree the choices you picked are worth to mention, otherwise, we will consider whoever post a skyline with only a handful of mid rises in the photos is trolling, so be careful what you post and don't push it.
If (A) you can have people defending the Quebec skyline as potentially better than Toronto's, and (B) you can have Toronto constantly posted in the World's Best Skyline thread, then (C) logic dictates that you could at least post Quebec in the World's Best Skyline thread since some people think it may just be the superior skyline.

Now all we need is to find 1 person who thinks Providence could have a better skyline than either Quebec or Toronto and we're in business. My eyes have been opened to this brave new world we live in. Personally, I have never received a participation trophy, but I think I get the concept now.
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:35 AM   #11056
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14313

Is there a slight chance we are all taking this a bit too seriously? Maybe we can all take the high road and gracefully bow out now that everyone has had their worth and get back to some different photos? It's really not imperative that we all agree.

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond

Thorondor, isaidso liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:03 AM   #11057
micrip

Likes (Received): 1278

Quote:
Thanks I found it! It's called Patterson Park.
More specifically, from the Patterson Park Pagoda. Patterson Park was the close-in defensive line for Baltimore during the Battle of Baltimore of the War of 1812. Remains of fortifications can still be seen.

The building where the crane is is nearly topped out, and fills that gap in the view nicely...

Until the last few years, since Montreal got a couple taller towers, I thought Montreal and Baltimore had a similar look...still do, in fact. Place Villa Marie and one other tower were the only ones taller than Baltimore for years.

Baltimore's masterpiece, 10 Light (formerly Bank Of America) and 2nd tallest, is barely visible in any of the photos, so it goes to show the citys' wonderful density.

DZH22 liked this post

Last edited by micrip; September 21st, 2019 at 10:18 AM.
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:36 AM   #11058
lovecities888

I know everybody has a different criteria for rating best skylines, but to put cities like Providence and Baltimore in there is just a bit ridiculous I think.
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:44 AM   #11059
lovecities888

I live in the SF Bay Area and love this photo. My gripe is SF only having 1 building over 1000 ft tall.https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/48741155423/

Last edited by lovecities888; September 21st, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old September 21st, 2019, 12:26 PM   #11060
jetmty1

Likes (Received): 4066

Monterrey....a FLAT city in 2010 it has grow a little but steady since then.

Last edited by jetmty1; September 21st, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
jetmty1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chicago, toronto