#1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread for non-urban photos of the North of England

Here's a couple to get things going;

Ennerdale valley, from Caw Fell:

Caw Fell:

See less See more
#65 ·
Clara Vale Nature Reserve - Saturday 28th June 2015

Finally visited the last of the Gateshead's Local Nature Reserve hides on Saturday at Clara Vale and wasn't disappointed. As I opened the doors of the hide to a chorus of "Shhhhhhhhhhhhh" and looked out of the window to see this no more than 10 meters away.

DSCN0280 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0291 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0310 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0328 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0343 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0350 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0393 by stamford0001, on Flickr

Full details of their 6 hides can be found here and for anyone that likes seeing and photographing birds and wildlife in general, it's a very well spent and value for money £5 for a key

https://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Leisure and Culture/countryside/sites/birdhides.aspx

#66 ·
Ancient Northumbria

This region has a remarkable history but sometimes the focus seems to start with the arrival of the Romans.
But we have an almost undiscovered history going back thousands of years prior to the legions and Hadrian's Wall.
How many people are aware that Bamburgh Castle was the was home to a fort of the native Britons known as Din Guarie and was possibly capital of the British kingdom of the region ?
It was only recently I was made aware of the Duddo Standing Stones.
Here are some photos of our ancient past.

#69 ·
Gosforth Nature Reserve - 12th October 2015

12th October 2015

A few from my day off last Monday, spent at Gosforth Nature Reserve

Otter by stamford0001, on Flickr

Grey Heron by stamford0001, on Flickr

Little Grebe by stamford0001, on Flickr

Cormorant by stamford0001, on Flickr

Kingfisher by stamford0001, on Flickr

Kingfisher & Wren by stamford0001, on Flickr

Bittern with Perch by stamford0001, on Flickr

Bittern by stamford0001, on Flickr

Bittern by stamford0001, on Flickr

#70 ·
Ouseburn Valley - 19th October 2015

19th October 2015

Despite catching fleeting glimpses reasonably often, I finally got the camera to focus quick enough to catch this, perched in a tree next to the river, right next to Ouseburn Farm this afternoon.

#72 ·
Alnwick Castle

Another of my favourite castles. Bamburgh being the first. I believe you also took pictures of Bothal Castle, which is 5 minutes from where I live.

Had lived there several years (left Gateshead when I was 9 years old)and never realised Bothal had a castle. Not easy to spot. From memory you have to go down into Bothal Village to see it.

I think, unless you live in Bothal it tends to get bypassed with the Ashington Pegswood road.

PamJ

#73 ·
Seaton Sluice to St Mary's Lighthouse - 4th January 2016

4th January 2016

My first trip out of the new year. A rainy and windy walk along a little bit of Hollywell Dean from Seaton Sluice, then down the coastal path to St Mary's Lighthouse.

DSCN2972 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN3043 by stamford0001, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl by stamford0001, on Flickr

Kestrel by stamford0001, on Flickr

Curlew by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN3135 by stamford0001, on Flickr

Rock Pipit by stamford0001, on Flickr

Ringed Plover by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN3275 by stamford0001, on Flickr

#74 ·
#75 ·
Northumbrian Wild Goats

This set of photographs was taken on 19th April 2003 of the Northumbrian Wild Goats (Ferel Goats) at the Hill of the Goats close to Yeavering Bell.

Evidently the goats were re-introduced to the area in the 19th Century, Goat Hill having taken its name from the fact that Iron Age goats were pastured here, possibly by the nearby dwellers from the Yeavering Bell Hill Fort.

Nice to see from the Kids with the Mother goat that the number of wild goats continues to rise.

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/Wild Goats of Northumberland

#77 ·
I managed to get a photo of Fox Tower near Brough as it caught the light on Sunday last. Taken from the loading dock at Warcop Station

A closer view taken the previous day

Fox Tower is a folly built in the 1770s by the then owner of Helbeck Hall, John Metcalf Carleton. It stands just under 1000 feet above sea level on the slopes of the Warcop Fells above Brough and on the edge of the Warcop Ranges.

There is normally no public access, but in 2014 access was allowed for several weeks, and being familiar with the tower from my volunteering at Warcop Station I couldn't resist the chance to see it up close.

The walk from a temporary car park at Helbeck Hall was about three quarters of a mile long and climbed about 200 feet through Helbeck Woods. The views from the Tower were splendid even though the day was quite hazy.

Unfortunately I only had a 6MP camera at the time and my 70-210mm zoom was distinctly average. I would love to get up there again with some of the rather better camera kit I now have.

There were lots of bluebells in Helbeck Woods

And some wild garlic as well

First view of the tower from below

The tower with the Eden Valley behind

The tower seems to have been used for picnic parties, either on the upper floor of the tower or in the open air on the flat roof depending on the weather. The food & drink was prepared on the lower floor. Alas the floors & roof have now gone.

Having photographed the tower from Warcop Station many times I had to take one looking the other way! Not that the rolling stock and station house are very prominent.

Brough Village & Castle

Mallerstang and Wild Boar Fell

Click on the images for full size. More of this rubbish at https://madannie.smugmug.com/Other-Stuff/Fox-Tower/

#84 ·
Rumbling Kern, Howick, Northumberland

A pleasant blue skied day on the Northumberland Coast today, cold in the breeze though and certainly plenty of folk out for a walk.

Rumbling Kern is considered to take its name from sea water which finds its way into the void within the rock and is expelled under pressure giving a rumbling sound.

It is also claimed to have been one of the sandy bays in Northumberland where illicit smuggling took place.

It was also used a scene in The Vera TV series.

Photographed 10th February 2018:

© https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/albums/72157669456354819

This video showing the rock and the void mentioned above shared from the Aerial Studios Youtube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK-cXVz-EUs

Rumbling Kern, Howick, Northumberland

Aerial Studios
Published on 12 Sep 2017
Drone Footage around the wonderful Rumbling Kern Northumberland

https://youtu.be/OK-cXVz-EUs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.