SkyscraperCity Forum banner

KIELDER - Kielder Forest (the largest man-made forest in Europe) plus Kielder Reservoir and Kielder 'Dark Skies', etc

40K views 110 replies 12 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kielder Dark Sky Bid

People in Northumberland could soon have better views of the night sky.

A consultation is due to get under way on securing dark sky status for nearly 400 square miles of countryside in the Kielder Forest area, in a move aimed at boosting tourism.

If successful, controls would be put in place to prevent light pollution.

Project chiefs will talk to residents, parish councils and businesses to gauge feedback before an application to the International Dark-Sky Association.

Light meter readings from volunteers have confirmed that the area already has some of the darkest skies in England.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18189083

#2 ·
Forestry Commission chief backs Kielder 'Dark Sky' bid
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, August 24th 2012

FORESTRY chief Pam Warhurst has praised the sky-high ambitions of rural allies in Northumberland. Ms Warhurst, chairwoman of the Forestry Commission, visited Kielder Observatory to support a bid to create Europe’s largest area of protected night sky in Northumberland. Kielder Water and Forest Park Development Trust, Northumberland National Park Authority and Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society are preparing the bid to the International Dark Sky Association based in the United States.

If successful it will help promote and preserve the biggest area of dark skies left anywhere in England and help minimise light pollution.

Built high above Kielder village, the £450,000 observatory has proved a hit with the public since opening in 2008, attracting nearly 35,000 visitors. It will soon be re-equipped with even more powerful telescopes. Pam Warhurst said: “The observatory is an inspiring place and a tremendous asset to the North East and Borders. The night sky is a very precious resource which in many areas of England has become a pale shadow of its former starry self because of light pollution.

“The bid to designate a dark sky area linking Kielder Water and Forest Park with Northumberland National Park, while also engaging communities and visitors in explaining the wonders of the night sky, is truly exciting."

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...er-dark-sky-bid-61634-31685914/#ixzz24RxLlRgf

#3 ·
Northumberland in quest for Dark Sky Status
by Paul Tully, The Journal, January 8th 2013

RURAL dwellers in a remote part of Northumberland are being urged to turn down their lights to turn up the power behind a bid for special recognition. The county’s quest for official Dark Sky Status will go before the International Dark Skies Association in Arizona, USA, early this year.

Now, the latest boost for the campaign, which would bring major extra business and prestige, has come in the shape of support from the world-famous Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics at Manchester University.

If the bid this year is successful, 400 square miles of north Northumberland would become Europe’s largest dark sky reserve – and the third-largest in the world. Kielder Water & Forest Park would become England’s first Dark Sky Park, and Northumberland National Park would be designated Europe’s largest Dark Sky Reserve.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...dark-sky-status-61634-32561032/#ixzz2HNVDU8iv

#4 ·
Kielder Dark Skies News
Kielder Water and Forest Park Website, 4th October 2013

Dark skies at Kielder, a bid to create Europe's largest area of protected night sky has now been lodged with a global organisation campaigning to keep the world's skies dark. The move to designate nearly 1500 square kilometres of Northumberland as England's first Dark Sky Park is being considered by the International Dark Skies Association (IDA) based in Tucson, USA.

A decision is expected before Christmas.

Kielder Water & Forest Park Development Trust, Northumberland National Park Authority and Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society have been working on the bold plan for two years and widespread support has come from residents, local councils, businesses, tourism agencies, wildlife campaigners and scientific organisations, including Jodrell Bank and the Royal Observatory at Greenwich

Key points in the 80 page bid document reveal that:

1. More than 300 light meter readings have been taken underlining that Northumberland has the largest expanse of truly dark night skies remaining in England.

2. Kielder Observatory has shared the wonders of the Universe with over 43,000 visitors since it opened in 2008 and further growth is forecast.

3. A unified Lighting Master Plan has been endorsed by the Northumberland County Council and the Northumberland National Park Authority to protect our night sky from wasteful light pollution in future years.

4. A lighting audit reveals that 75% of external lighting within the proposed Northumberland Dark Sky Park complies with IDA guidelines – the bid includes plans to improve this still further.

5. Forestry Commission, Northumbrian Water and Greenhaugh village are just a few of the places and organisations already making changes to their lighting to enhance the dark skies within the proposed Dark Sky Park area.

6. Local businesses are working to develop new astro-tourism activities. Some have already run stargazing packages and more business training seminars funded through the programme are planned.

7. Northumberland County Council's street light replacement programme will make a significant contribution in protecting the night sky through the use of more energy efficient and fully shielded lights. Maintenance costs will also be slashed by 60%.

8. More Dark Sky Discovery locations will be created in the Dark Sky Park where people can enjoy stargazing.

Read More - http://www.visitkielder.com/play/discover/dark-skies/news

#5 · (Edited)
Northumberland secures Dark Skies Status
Hexham Courant, Monday 9th December 2013

NORTHUMBERLAND NATIONAL PARK is expected to attract a new wave of tourists after its night sky has become the largest protected sky in Europe. On Monday the International Dark Skies Association, a global organisation based in the USA with a mission to protect the world's starry skies, bestowed dark park status across an area covering 579 square miles.

The initiative has been spearheaded over the past two years by Northumberland National Park Authority, Kielder Water & Forest Park Development Trust and Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society.

Read More - http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/northumberland-secures-dark-skies-status-1.1103616

#6 ·
The below article about Stonehaugh is particularly interesting for me, where it refers to "Stonehaugh a village near Wark built in the 1950s for Forestry Commission workers", as my father was one of the VERY FIRST of the Forestry Commission Workers who lived and worked there in the 1950s. It was truly backbreaking work, clearing the land by hand and planting small trees. He was paid by volume of land cleared and trees planted. Stonehaugh, when first built, had NO amenities, it was just a few houses in the middle of the growing man-made forest. It was a VERY hard life, and my father only kept the family there for less than a year!!

Stonehaugh in Northumberland to play starring role in Dark Sky Park status
By Tony Henderson, The Journal, 6th January 2014

Northumberland Dark Sky

A village is staking its claim for a starring role in the recently-won Dark Sky Park status for an almost 1,500 square kilometre expanse of Northumberland. Last month an area covering Northumberland National Park and Kielder Water and Forest Park became Europe’s largest area of protected night sky. The drive for what is England’s first Dark Sky Park has been spearheaded over the past two years by Northumberland National Park Authority, Kielder Water and Forest Park Development Trust and Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society.

Now Stonehaugh, a village near Wark built in the 1950s for Forestry Commission workers, is working with Masters of Architecture students from Newcastle University to build a star gazing pavilion. Work has started on the site on the edge of the village and it is hoped that the circular wooden pavilion will be complete by next month. The 15 students, in co-operation with the Kielder Art and Architecture Programme, presented several proposals to villagers.

The pavilion was the popular choice and as well as providing shelter for star gazers, it can also be used for observing wildlife. It will be set in a new wildflower meadow and will have a planted green roof. Villagers and the Forestry Commission have offered to help with labour and materials.

Read More - http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/northumberland-village-play-starring-role-6472554

#7 ·
Kielder Transfer Scheme

Hi, wasn't sure which sub forum this should go in but thought this was the most appropriate.

I'm currently looking for information about the Kielder Transfer Scheme (mainly to satisfy my inner nerd) but there's a lack of really anything available on the web that i've managed to find.

Does anyone know anything about this or where i can go looking into it? I'm interested in how the tunnel between the three rivers works, even a map of it's route, anything like that. The topic fascinates me (i have a love of anything subterranean :lol:)

Thanks all.

#8 ·
Hi, wasn't sure which sub forum this should go in but thought this was the most appropriate.

I'm currently looking for information about the Kielder Transfer Scheme (mainly to satisfy my inner nerd) but there's a lack of really anything available on the web that i've managed to find.

Does anyone know anything about this or where i can go looking into it? I'm interested in how the tunnel between the three rivers works, even a map of it's route, anything like that. The topic fascinates me (i have a love of anything subterranean :lol:)

Thanks all.
Google would be my first port of call - plenty of information @ https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=K...hannel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ruRwU6rgOuHR8gfe7IHABg

#9 ·
Kielder Water in 1980 . . .

The below magazine article, written and published in 1980, discusses "Kielder Water in its last year of construction", which it was in 1980.

An interesting article, that was first posted on the "Newcastle Metro Area Forum", as part of the Newcastle 900 series of posts, containing articles written in the
'900 Year' of 1980 . . .

...Newcastle 900...

MEMORIES of 'Newcastle 900', a celebration of the 900th Anniversary (1080-1980) of
Newcastle upon Tyne. The celebration took place throughout the entire year of 1980.

Part Five

Here is another selection of 'memories' from Newcastle 900 year, this time from another series of articles that were published in various Newcastle 900 booklets, leaflets and magazines in 1980.

#10 ·
TV architect George Clarke backs Kielder dark skies project

From yesterday's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tv-architect-george-clarke-backs-7167284

TV architect George Clarke backs Kielder dark skies project
May 24, 2014 10:14 By The Journal

George Clarke at the Sky Den tree house at Kielder in Northumberland

TV architect George Clarke has given his backing to the project turning part of the North into England’s first dark sky forest.

Sunderland-born George has joined the Friends of Kielder Water & Forest Park in Northumberland, which aims to protect the area set to be become home to Northumberland International Dark Sky Park - the largest Dark Sky Park area of protected night sky in Europe. George, who designed the Sky Den tree house at Calvert Trust Kielder, spent a lot of time in the Park while filming for his Channel 4 programme, George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. He said: “I’m delighted to become a Friend and support Kielder Water and Forest Park Development Trust in their commitment to continue developing such an impressive destination. I used to visit the Park regularly as a child. Living in the North East, we’re so lucky to have this great wilderness right on our doorstep. The Sky Den tree house we built for Amazing Spaces just increases the list of unique experiences on offer in a truly amazing place.”

People can join the Friends group from £2 a month, getting access to exclusive events, offers and promotions. Friends receive a membership card and lapel pin badge, an e-newsletter, Friends-only events and behind the scene talks and tours. They also qualify for free car parking on certain weekends and discount rates for last minute offers.

Lynn Turner, director of Kielder Water & Forest Park Development Trust, said: “The Trust is a registered charity which works to develop the park as an inspirational place for leisure, exploration and fun. Through the Friends scheme we hope to conserve wildlife, develop arts activities and build educational opportunities, as well as continuing to enhance the great leisure and recreation attractions available at the Park. George Clarke is a best Friend and a real ambassador to the Park - the Sky Den tree house is a great example of what is on offer here - an amazing visitor experience to inspire and delight.”

For a Friends application form and more info, visit www.visitkielder.com/friends or call 0845 155 0236.

#11 ·
Long wait is over as three Kielder osprey chicks hatch

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/hat-trick-hatches-kielder-ospreys-7216637

Long wait is over as three Kielder osprey chicks hatch
Jun 04, 2014 16:58 By Tony Henderson

There was a hat-trick of hatches today for Northumberland’s nesting ospreys.

After a weekend of waiting for the event while more than 250 visitors watched Nest 1 at Kielder through telescopes, volunteers arrived yesterday hopeful of a result.

When the cameras trained on the two Kielder nests were switched on, they showed that there had been two hatchings on Nest 1, where the mother is called Mrs YA. Soon after one chick appeared on Nest 2. Both nests contain three eggs.

“It’s just like buses and we are over the moon,” said volunteer Joanna Dailey. But there are concerns that the three chicks had decided to arrive on a very poor day for a break-out. “The weather is awful - heavy rain and chilly. Mrs YA is hunkered right down over the chicks,” said Joanna. “The weather is obviously not ideal and it is risky because of the rain. The parents have to keep the chicks dry and warm.”

Chris Collett from the RSPB said: “You can never guarantee that eggs are going to hatch so a trio of osprey chicks in one day is fantastic news. Everyone involved in the project is delighted and even the dreary Northumberland rain can’t dampen our spirits. We are now watching the remaining eggs closely and, with a bit of luck, they will also soon hatch.”

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/hat-trick-hatches-kielder-ospreys-7216637

#12 ·
Stargazing pavilion opens in Stonehaugh
to take advantage of 'Kielder Dark Skies'

By Barbara Hodgson, The Journal, 9th July 2014

The opening of the new pavilion for stargazers in Northumberland

Students of Newcastle University's School of Architecture who have been with Kielder Water and Forest Park Development Trust to design and build the Pavilion

Stargazers can now set their sights on a shining new attraction in Northumberland and make the most of some the darkest night skies in the world. With the area covering Kielder Water & Forest Park and also Northumberland National Park now enjoying Gold-Tier International Dark Sky Park status, we now have the largest area of protected night sky in Europe in our own back yard. Now, thanks to the creative talents of Newcastle students and the support of local residents, amateur astronomers are in for even more of a treat with the launch of a special stargazing pavilion in the small former 'Forestry Commission Village' of Stonehaugh near Kielder. At its official opening yesterday, guests got to see the end-result of a special collaboration which aims to boost local tourism.

There was also a solar telescope set up, operated by Gary Fildes, founding director of Kielder Observatory, to give them an idea of the possibilities in store. Involving Newcastle University’s School of Architecture, Kielder Water & Forest Park Development Trust and local residents, the project saw students design and build the stargazing pavilion to celebrate the area’s International Dark Sky Park designation. The Stonehaugh village community had helped to pick out the best site for the structure, which is near the Warksburn picnic site, then Newcastle University’s School of Architecture students created designs for it before residents chose their favourite. Then it was a matter of planning permission followed by lots of hard work.

Read More - http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/stargazing-pavilion-opens-take-advantage-7399110

#14 ·
Swimming champion to attempt unique Kielder Water challenge

From yesterday's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/swimming-champion-attempt-unique-kielder-7421993

Swimming champion to attempt unique Kielder Water challenge
Jul 14, 2014 18:42 By Tony Henderson

Swimming champion Colin Hill will bid to be the first to tackle the full length of northern Europe’s largest man-made lake – and without a wetsuit.

Colin, UK and former world winter swimming champion and channel swimmer, aims to swim the length of Northumbrian Water’s Kielder Water in Northumberland on Tuesday. With temperatures around 10C and depths of up to 170 feet (52 metres), the 10k dam to dam swim is expected to take Colin around two and a half hours. The 43-year-old from Hexham, who now lives in Ambleside, Cumbria, swam the English Channel solo in 10 hours 30 minutes in 2009. He was also the marathon swimming technical operations manager at the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Colin is making his reservoir attempt to launch Kielder’s first Open Water Swim in September. He said: “I’ve wanted to swim Kielder Water for many years and I’m thrilled that I’ve been asked to undertake this unique and challenging swim. Nobody should swim in open waters without proper training and support.”

Swimmers who want to test the waters of the giant reservoir, which has a 27.5 mile shoreline, will get the one-off opportunity to do so on Sunday, September 7. Entrants can choose from the classic mile swim, a 3.8km Iron Distance swim or the ultimate test – a 10km swimming marathon. To book a place, log on to the event website at www.vitalevents.co.uk . For enquiries telephone 01695 351007 or email info@VitalEvents.co.uk.

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/swimming-champion-attempt-unique-kielder-7421993

#16 ·
This rather fine example of a Forestry Commission 1958 Austin A35 van standing outside of Kielder Castle on 10th July 2014:

Images hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Seeing the above photo really "took me back" to a year that I really have very little memory of, as I was only 3 years old . . . 1954.

In 1954 my father sold his corner shop in West Hartlepool and moved us all out into the country, to the very newly built Forestry Commission village of Stonehaugh, near Kielder Forest.

He got a job 'planting trees' and doing other work for the Forestry Commission, in the forest. I remember one day he took me with him and (at that very young age) I almost nearly didn't make it back! I walked most of the way there and back, through overgrown ground, up hills and through some very 'boggy' land. I was carried by my father some of the time, but not all of the time.

I never went with him again!

He was only able to stand the work in Kielder Forest for part of one year, I know his back (honestly) never fully recovered for the rest of his life . . . and he was a 'tough bloke' having spent 15 successful years in the Army just before then.

We moved away from there and he got a job in the Royal Hotel, Hexham.

I am quite 'aware' of all these dates and events from my past, as I am currently involved in writing a 'Family History' from my Dad's old records, notes and diaries (of which there are many).

Amongst his papers I found the below article from the Hexham Courant dated 12th November 1954.

We are not mentioned at all by 'name' but the entire article is all about us!

WE are the family in question, in this article . . .

The article mentions the lack of amenities in the new and purpose-built Forestry Commission village of Stonehaugh, and the quite 'low pay' of Forestry Commission workers at that time.

My Dad actually recorded details of his pay for that year, at the back of his 1954 Diary . . .

Hope this little piece of my personal ('Kielder Forest-related') history, is of interest!

#18 ·
Very interesting NH - real people, telling real stories, I like it.

Can you spot your former home on this map courtesy of The Stoneheugh Community web site @ http://www.stonehaugh.com/

We lived at 19 Kern Green, Stonehaugh, from (according to my Dad's records) the 24th May 1954 to 9th November 1954.

On your above map Steve (great find by the way) "Kern Green" is the terrace of houses in the slightly darker-brown colour, at the bottom left of the old map. So, yes, number 19 is shown on that map, about mid-way along the terrace.

Dad had been a keen amateur photographer since the 1930s, but I have never found any photos taken during our short stay at Stonehaugh in 1954. However, they did make a return visit there in the early 1970s (I wasn't with them) and took the below photo of Kern Green, which includes our old house, which is at about the "sixth chimneypot" from the left . . . that's the best way I can think of to describe it!

The village looked exactly the same in the 1970s as it had in the 1950s, all the houses being a uniform 'Forestry Commission White' in colour, as can be seen in the above photo.

When I started my Family History research in 2008, we went back again, and by then a lot of the houses had been privately bought, and were painted different colours, though not 'garishly' so.

In this next photo from 1st July 2008, that is me walking along Kern Green for the first time since 1954, and I am just outside number 19. The place looks a lot 'nicer' now (in 2008) than it will have looked back in 1954, I think.

Below is a more recent map, that can be compared to the old Forestry Commission Map . . .

#21 ·
Businesses urged to cash in on Northumberland's dark skies

Courtesy of the Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/businesses-urged-cash-northumberlands-dark-7571292

Businesses urged to cash in on Northumberland's dark skies
Aug 06, 2014 11:50 By Tony Henderson

Businesses are being urged to prepare to take advantage of the North East’s dark starry skies.

Astro-tourism is a rapidly expanding sector for local accommodation providers, many of whom have reported increasing numbers of visitors to the region to enjoy stargazing breaks. Now more Stars for Profit training workshops are to be laid on to help businesses cash in. The sessions are part of the Animating Dark Skies Partnership, funded by DEFRA through the Northern Lands programme, to help develop the stargazing tourism sector.

“This is the first full observing season since Northumberland became one of the world’s biggest designated dark sky areas,” said Richard Darn, training leader and amateur astronomer. We know many businesses have already seen the benefit in terms of additional bookings, but we need to raise our game again to ensure our world-class skies are matched by a world-class welcome. This a tremendous opportunity for tourism businesses to exploit our most natural asset – unforgettable starry skies.”

Last December the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park – Europe’s largest stretching for nearly 580 square miles (15,000 square kilometres) between the Border and Hadrian’s Wall – was created. The neighbouring North Pennines AONB is also working to expand its UK-leading network of dark sky discovery sites.

Training workshops are being stage at: Slaggyford, Northumberland, September 15; Once Brewed National Park Visitor Centre, Northumberland, September 16; Kielder Castle, Northumberland, October 21; Elsdon, Northumberland, October 27; Bowlees Visitor Centre, County Durham, October 28; Harbottle, Northumberland, November 10; Allendale, Northumberland, November 11; Stonehaugh, Northumberland, November 18.

For details on how to book places visit www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk and click on dark skies. Alternatively contact Richard Darn on 0775 367 0038, or email richard@richarddarn.com

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/businesses-urged-cash-northumberlands-dark-7571292

#22 ·
Kielder Castle - Volume 1

These images of the Grade II Listed Kielder Castle were taken 10th July 2014.

Originally built as a hunting lodge/shooting box for the Duke of Northumberland and designed by Newcastle architect William Newton in 1775. Much modified in the years since 1775, finally concluded by a Gothic extension in 1926.

Converted into a visitor centre, exhibition and cafe in the 1980's and 1990's.

This is the Protection Text courtesy of the British Listed Buildings web site @ http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-239684-kielder-castle-kielder-

Description: Kielder Castle

Grade: II
Date Listed: 7 January 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 239684

OS Grid Reference: NY6319593446
OS Grid Coordinates: 363195, 593446
Latitude/Longitude: 55.2338, -2.5802

Locality: Kielder
County: Northumberland
Postcode: NE48 1ER

KIELDER KIELDER
NY 69 SW
20/24 Kielder Castle

GV II

Shooting box now used as cafe and visitors' centre. 1775 by William Newton for the Duke of Northumberland and from a design of the Duke's own.

Altered mid C19 by the Alnwick Castle estate office and again in 1926.

Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Earlier work in Gothick style. C19 parts in Tudor style.

A courtyard house. Mid-C19 irregular south front. To left a large castellated 3-storey section with canted oriel window and several paired lancets; projecting from this an extension of 1926 in Gothic style. Recessed L-plan section to right has C18 masonry, plinth and string course but C19 detail including round- headed doorway and 2-light mullioned windows; gabled roof with kneelers.

Right return 5 bays. Left 2 bays in Tudor style. Right 3 bays have 6-pane sashes under hood moulds on ground floor, 9-pane sashes with Tudor-arched heads and intersecting glazing bars on first floor. Left return has similar detail but irregular openings.

Rear five bays with central tall round-headed carriage arch under gable, two- bay, single-storey linking ranges and two-storey, cross gabled end bays with Gothic windows. Centre and end bays were formerly castellated.

Interior has 2 staircases with stick balusters. Several 6-panel doors and internal shutters.

Diary of Charles Richardson, and records of payments to William Newton held among Alnwick Castle records, establish Newton as the architect.

Listing NGR: NY6319593446

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/Kielder/Kielder Castle

#24 ·
Tyneside artist Matt Stokes re-creates wartime life at Kielder event

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/culture/arts-culture-news/tyneside-artist-matt-stokes-re-creates-7716044

Tyneside artist Matt Stokes re-creates wartime life at Kielder event
Sep 04, 2014 12:00 By Sam Wonfor

For Blaydon-based artist Matt Stokes, bringing past events back to life is a serious matter.

Matt’s practice focuses on history, social phenomena and collaboration as a catalyst for his art, often exploring subjects that have been forgotten or overlooked. In October, Matt will stage a unique event at Kielder Water & Forest Park by bringing alive a little-known piece of Northumberland’s fascinating history through an immersive form of art.

Following research in local archives, Matt discovered an unusual piece of Kielder’s wartime history which will become the basis of this project, commissioned by Kielder Water & Forest Park Development Trust through its Art & Architecture programme. It may come as a surprise to many people that during the Second World War, the park was once home to a unique rehabilitation centre in Lewisburn, close to the River North Tyne. Named HMS Standard, the centre was used by the Royal Navy to help recovery service personnel diagnosed with a variety of psychiatric conditions return to active service.

In the LARP at Kielder, participants will re-imagine the experiences of the people and atmosphere of the place and period. Speaking about his project, titled Stone Frigate (a term given to onshore Royal Navy bases), Matt said: “I hope that the Stone Frigate offers people the opportunity to get involved in and engage with something they might not have experienced – whether they are ‘LARPers’ or not – as well as helping to reinvigorate knowledge about an intriguing and important part of Kielder’s history.”

Kielder Art & Architecture is interested in hearing from anyone who may have living memories or information connected to HMS Standard. It is also seeking participants to take part in the actual LARP, which will run from Friday, October 25 until Sunday, October 27 – including looking for volunteers to help with the preparation and behind-the-scenes action during the event. To sign up for the LARP or for more information about getting involved, email stonefrigate@mail.com

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/culture/arts-culture-news/tyneside-artist-matt-stokes-re-creates-7716044

#25 ·
Royal Family representative Sir Ralph Carr-Ellison dies aged 88

Courtesy of the Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/north-e...royal-family-representative-sir-ralph-7728706

Royal Family representative Sir Ralph Carr-Ellison dies aged 88
Sep 05, 2014 19:00 By Brian Daniel

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother unveils a plaque at Tyne Tees Television with chairman Sir Ralph Carr-Ellison on 14 June 1989

A one time representative in the North East for the Royal Family and a visionary in the creation of Kielder Water has died. Sir Ralph died late last month, on August 26. His funeral took place at Eglingham near Alnwick on Thursday, while a memorial service is to be arranged at Newcastle.

Sir Ralph Carr-Ellison, who welcomed the Queen and other royals to the region as Lord Lieutenant of Tyne and Wear and was chairman of the Northumbrian Water Authority when Kielder Water was built, has died aged 88.

He was born at Beanley on his family’s Hedgeley Estate, near Alnwick in Northumberland, where he lived all his life. Sir Ralph went to boarding school in the South of England before joining the army towards the end of the Second World War, initially with the Royal Dragoons and later the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. He was in training for the invasion of Japan when the war ended. Sir Ralph served in the army until 1949, in Austria and Germany. Thereon, he looked after the farm estate, up until around the mid 1980s. Sir Ralph had a long career with the Northumberland Hussars, a part time regiment of the Territorial Army that became the Queen’s Own Yeomanry, from 1949 to the 1990s, ending up as a Colonel Commandant.

He was the chairman of Northumbrian Water Authority when it built Kielder Water in the 1970s. Sir Ralph was left partially disabled after he was in a tunnel which collapsed during a visit to wish workers a happy Christmas, in the Pennines in 1979. He also acted as Lord Lieutenant for Tyne and Wear, serving as the Royals’ representative in the area, from 1984 to 2000. In this role, Sir Ralph welcomed the Queen, the Queen Mother and the Duke and Duchess of Kent to the area.

Sir Ralph would also be involved in the creation of the regional development agency One NorthEast in later life.

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/north-e...royal-family-representative-sir-ralph-7728706

#26 ·
Kielder marathon set to return this weekend for the fifth time

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/kielder-marathon-set-return-weekend-7864880

Kielder marathon set to return this weekend for the fifth time
Oct 01, 2014 16:01 By Adam Luke

A North East marathon dubbed the most beautiful in Britain is set to return this weekend.

The fifth annual Kielder Marathon in Kielder Water and Forest Park will be held on Sunday, providing the finale to a series of races in which up to 2,500 runners are expected to take part.

The off-road route of 26.2 miles takes participants around Northumbrian Water’s Kielder Reservoir - northern Europe’s largest man-made lake - offering stunning scenery along the way. But action starts with the Kielder 10K and Run Bike Run on Saturday, followed by the Kielder Junior races on Sunday morning ahead of the big event.

Race Director and world record holder Steve Cram said: “It’s so great to have Britain’s most beautiful marathon on our doorstep. The course is certainly a challenging one but the breath-taking views are worth every step of every mile. Entries are now closed for all of our Run Kielder events and the team are raring to go, ahead of what will prove to be yet another exciting weekend. This will be the fifth running of Kielder Marathon weekend and we’re expecting over 2,500 people to take part across all four events with just as many spectators enjoying such a stunning location.”

The marathon, featuring new headline sponsors Active Northumberland and Northumberland County Council, starts at 10.15am on Sunday at Leaplish Waterside Park - where it also finishes - running along Lakeside Way.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/kielder-marathon-set-return-weekend-7864880

#27 ·
Kielder Marathon 2014: Gosforth runner Ceri Rees wins for the third year in a row

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/kielder-marathon-2014-gosforth-runner-7886361

Kielder Marathon 2014: Gosforth runner Ceri Rees wins for the third year in a row
Oct 05, 2014 17:38 By Mike Kelly

Runner Ceri Rees yesterday won the Kielder Marathon for the third year in a row.

Ceri, 41, originally from Gosforth in Newcastle but now living in Devon, beat his time from last year, completing the marathon in 2hr 39min 43sec. He said: “The atmosphere today was really good. Kielder marathon doesn’t get any easier but it’s not about winning – it’s more about getting round the course. Kielder is beautiful and the course definitely helps the miles go faster. As far as trail running goes, its right up there as one of Britain’s most beautiful.”

Myra Jones, 31, from Moortown, Leeds and a member of Valley Striders Athletics Club, was the first female to cross the finishing line. Myra, who travelled up especially for the marathon, completed it in 3hr 17min and 58sec.

The 2014 Active Northumberland Kielder Marathon, hosted by Northumbrian Water, is now in its 5th year. It has been dubbed Britain’s most picturesque and it was easy to see why as around 1,000 runners made their way around northern Europe’s largest man-made lake, Kielder Water.

The day also saw a number of children involved in the day with the under 16s races. The Kielder Junior Runs include the Osprey (880m race for children aged seven to nine, the Roman Mile (1.48km race for children aged ten to twelve) and the Centurion (2.5km race for children ages thirteen to fifteen). Tynedale Harrier, 15-year-old Jaycee Shotton from Ovingham, Northumberland was thrilled to have won the Centurion. He said: “I’m really pleased. I set out to win and tried my best. When I was running though I didn’t even notice I was first!

Read more, see image gallery and video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/kielder-marathon-2014-gosforth-runner-7886361

#28 ·
Duchess of Northumberland attends service to dedicate village war memorial

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...rthumberland-attends-service-dedicate-7961343
Duchess of Northumberland attends service to dedicate village war memorial
Oct 20, 2014 08:03 By Kate Proctor

The Duchess of Northumberland at the Parish Church of St Peter, Falstone for the dedication of a new war memorial

Decades have passed but the men of a rural Northumberland parish who died serving their country now have a fitting memorial.

Soldiers from the North Tyne valley, many of whom were from villages now submerged beneath Kielder Water, have had their names engraved on a brass plaque.

With standing room only at St Peter’s Church in Falstone yesterday, a special dedication service was held to present the memorial with the Duchess of Northumberland and Hexham MP Guy Opperman attending as special guests.

Jill Goodfellow, a nurse at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle and who is warden of St Peter’s was inspired to fundraise for the new plaque after seeing the name of her own relative David Jackson languishing unnoticed on a piece of paper on the church wall. She said: “There has been a piece of paper with names on in a frame but St Peter’s doesn’t have an official war memorial and I thought with it being 100 years since the start of the World War One, the men needed a more fitting tribute. The new plaque says ‘Salute the glorious dead who went out and returned not’.”

Earlier this year Jill started fundraising the £1,000 needed for the new plaque with her partner Alan Swaile, 57, a coal merchant.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...rthumberland-attends-service-dedicate-7961343

#29 ·
Mountain Bike 'black runs' upgraded at Kielder Forest

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mountain-bike-black-runs-upgraded-7971600
Mountain Bike 'black runs' upgraded at Kielder Forest
Oct 21, 2014 13:00 By Tony Henderson

Daredevil mountain bikers try out new mountain bike trails at Kielder Forest

Two new biking sections will be opened as England’s largest trail centre gets into gear for a major event this weekend.

The hub for the Kielder Big Bike Weekend will be the Forestry Commission’s Kielder Castle Visitor Centre in Kielder Water and Forest Park.

The weekend will see the opening of new sections on the red and black graded Deadwater Trail including the downhill section, known as Forrest Dive. The spectacular trail climbs to the 1,900 foot summit of Deadwater Fell which straddles the English/Scottish border and gives 360 degree views from coast to coast.

The trail work was funded by the Northern Lands project and the trail building has been supported by the Kielder Trail Reavers and Northern Downhill as well as volunteers from Natural England who have worked with the Forestry Commission on the trail construction through a series of trail building days from April.

Alex MacLennan, recreation and public affairs manager for the Forestry Commission in the North East, said: “This has been a fantastic partnership project, from the funding coming through the Northern Lands project to the invaluable support from the Kielder Trail Reavers and Northern Downhill as well as other volunteer parties. We have also have held a number of corporate volunteer days with staff from local companies joining the Forestry Commission rangers to work on the trail improvements. The new sections add a new dimension to the trail network and having mountain bikers involved in the build has really made it a trail for mountain bike enthusiasts. We are already planning a whole new set of exciting events on these trails this winter and into 2015.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mountain-bike-black-runs-upgraded-7971600

#30 ·
Sound recordist Chris Watson takes groups on Kielder Forest expeditions

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/north-e...ws/sound-recordist-chris-watson-takes-7981948
Sound recordist Chris Watson takes groups on Kielder Forest expeditions
Oct 22, 2014 19:00 By Tony Henderson

Chris Watson in Kielder Forest

Groups will be led into a Northumberland forest for a rendezvous with ravens.

The event are being led by top sound recordist Chris Watson, who lives in Newcastle. A coach will take people from Newcastle to the event at Kielder Water and Forest Park on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There they will listen to a sound installation composed by Chris and produced by Iain Pate.

Their multi-channel, spatialised sound installation features the recorded conversations of thousands of ravens returning to roost. Commissioned through the Jerwood Open Forest initiative, the events will see groups led at twilight on a short walk into the deepest part of the forest. Settling down as darkness falls, participants will hear the sounds the ravens arriving in the canopy overhead to begin their conversations.

Chris Watson’s composition starts with the calls of distant ravens and concludes with a full raven roost overhead. The work celebrates the return of ravens to the forest, making a connection back to Norse mythology, allowing people to discover the lore and legend surrounding the birds. Chris is a sound recordist for film, TV and radio. He specialises in natural history and has worked on programmes such as David Attenborough’s Frozen Planet and the Life of Birds.

Two commissions were awarded in February - the other went to a project at Alice Holt Forest in Surrey On Friday and Saturday, Hrafn begins at 5pm. The bookable coach will leave Newcastle city centre at 3.15pm returning at approximately 8.15pm. On Sunday the event begins at 4pm with the coach leaving Newcastle at 2.15pm. Booking is essential, through jerwoodopenforest.org

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/north-e...ws/sound-recordist-chris-watson-takes-7981948