SkyscraperCity Forum banner

BEAMISH MUSEUM - The North of England Open Air Museum

99K views 513 replies 18 participants last post by  Ken O'Heed 
#1 · (Edited)
Beamish Museum - The North of England Open Air Museum.

Coverage on Skyscraper City . . .

The North of England Open Air Museum at Beamish has been covered frequently on the "Culture & the Arts - Galleries, Theatres, and Museums of Newcastle & the North East " thread, on the Newcastle Metro Area Forum, and on the "Sunderland and Durham Area - Arts, Culture and Museums" thread, on the Sunderland and Durham Forum.

There is no reason why coverage cannot continue, as before, on those two threads in those two of our four 'City-led' forums.

However, it seems to me that we, in the North East England Sub-forum (no matter which of the City-led internal forums we mostly frequent) could benefit from having a dedicated thread on which to discuss one of our wider regions most successful cultural destinations, namely BEAMISH MUSEUM.

What better a location for this thread could there be than here in the "Communal Area" of the North East England Sub-forum.

So, I have copied the pre-existing posts about Beamish, from all locations, into this new thread, with a view to this thread becoming the 'prime location' to discuss issues concerning the museum . . . from now on.

This merged thread was created on 28th May 2014.

See less See more
#157 ·
Beamish Museum, The Stores - pictures 20/05/15 Part 2 of a few

Part 2 of a few

On another trip to Beamish Museum on Wednesday 20/05/15 (making use of the Annual Ticket = free entry) took some pictures (over a series of posts) of The Stores, located at the Resource Centre - something I have always wanted to see

The main storage area - goods placed on Compact Storage rack storage system

Images hosted on Photobucket

More to follow

KEN

#158 ·
Beamish Museum, The Stores - pictures 20/05/15 Part 3 of a few

Part 3 of a few

On another trip to Beamish Museum on Wednesday 20/05/15 (making use of the Annual Ticket = free entry) took some pictures (over a series of posts) of The Stores, located at the Resource Centre - something I have always wanted to see

Pictures trying to show the material in store, in no set order - sometimes difficult due to height, reflection and lack of space to get good viewpoint

More to follow

KEN

#159 ·
Beamish Museum, The Stores - pictures 20/05/15 Part 4 of a few

Part 4 of a few

Pictures trying to show the material in store, in no set order - sometimes difficult due to height, reflection and lack of space to get good viewpoint

More to follow

KEN

#160 ·
Beamish Museum, The Stores - pictures 20/05/15 Part 5 of a few

Part 5 of a few

More to follow

KEN

#161 ·
Beamish Museum, The Stores - pictures 20/05/15 Part 6 of 6

Part 6 and last

Amazing what is on display - but what is hidden on the other racks?

KEN

#162 ·
Beamish Museum set to host Women's Institute 100th birthday celebration

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-set-host-womens-9308094
Beamish Museum set to host Women's Institute 100th birthday celebration
11:30, 22 May 2015 By Will Metcalfe

Women's Institute members preparing to celebrate their centenary at Beamish Museum

Women's Institute members from across the country are set to descend on a County Durham tourist attraction to celebrate their centenary.

Beamish Museum will host the group as they celebrate its centenary on Saturday and Sunday and members will parade through the town’s traditional 1900s street.

During the parade the ladies will be accompanied by a marching band, a horse drawn vehicle and some lucky WI members will even ride in a stunning replica Edwardian Armstrong Whitworth car. The parade will travel from The Town to The Pit Village followed by a welcome from the Durham County Federation Chairwoman, Lyn Swift.

She said: “We’re all looking forward to a wonderful weekend at Beamish and to welcoming WI members from the Durham County Federation and from all over the country.”

Visitors to the museum will be able to admire beautiful flower displays as talented WI members arrange them, they will also be making posies for visitors to take home.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-set-host-womens-9308094

#163 ·
Beamish Museum crowds wowed by zebra crossed with a horse

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-crowds-wowed-zebra-9347843
Beamish Museum crowds wowed by zebra crossed with a horse
18:30, 28 May 2015 By Ruth Lognonne

It’s not every day you see a zebra crossed with a horse. But that’s precisely what thousands of visitors to Beamish Museum were treated to during the County Durham attraction’s Georgian Country Fair.

Making his first appearance at the annual event was Zulu, the only ‘zorse’ in Europe. A cross between a zebra stallion and a horse mare, the stripy spectacle came over to Shropshire from America in 2012 and is owned by Rebecca Townsend. Zulu forms part of “Miss Rebecca’s Extraordinary Educated Equines” which features miniature ponies and a Highland pony. A traditional Georgian fair would often feature ‘oddities’, such as exotic animals that people would not normally see.

Although zorses were not around during Georgian times, fair organisers at Beamish said Zulu was the perfect oddity for this year’s event.

Jacki Winstanley, marketing officer at Beamish Museum, said: “Zulu is a unique creature and perfect for our Georgian Country Fair. We’ve had more than 3,000 visitors through the gates today and many have been amazed by Zulu. One person even asked me, are those stripes painted on? He stays in his pen a lot of the time, but when he does come out, he really is a crowd pleaser.”

The four-day country fair at Pockerley Waggonway replicates a true-to-life Georgian spectacle, where the Squire of Pockerley would set about hiring his staff for the coming months. The fair, which concludes on Sunday, features a traditional Punch and Judy show, live music and clog dancing and a shadow cutter making keepsakes of the fair.

Read more, see video and image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-crowds-wowed-zebra-9347843

#164 ·
Beamish Museum - information & some pictures from 20/05/15 of Davy's Coal Fired Fish and Chip Shop

Some pictures of the museum, taken by myself Wednesday 20/05/15 (shown over a number of posts)

Davy's Coal Fired Fish and Chip Shop

From the Beamish website http://www.beamish.org.uk/davys-coal-fired-fish-and-chip-shop/

EXTRACTS

Davy’s Fried Fish Shop has been built in The Pit Village at Beamish in the heart of the community, close to the Methodist chapel and the Board school.

It is typical of a type found throughout the region, which often began life as Victorian commercial buildings and were later converted to the new role.

The building was constructed by local builder, stonemason and bricklayer Kenny Bowen from Etherley, near Bishop Auckland, who has worked on many other projects at the Museum.

He used reclaimed local materials, red wire cut bricks typical of the area, along with bricks from Howdon Colliery and East Hetton Colliery. Kenny laboured throughout the winter of 2010, in some of the most severe weather we have seen for many years, to ensure that the building kept to schedule.

Pictures 20/05/15 approx 1300

Unfortunately no internal pictures as despite it being a quiet day the queues were large at time I looked in (as can be seen in my pictures)

Hopefully will get some interior pictures in due course

KEN

#182 · (Edited)
Beamish Museum, Davy's Coal Fired Fish and Chip Shop - BBC4 TV programme on constructing the building

Some pictures of the museum, taken by myself Wednesday 20/05/15 (shown over a number of posts)

Davy's Coal Fired Fish and Chip Shop

From the Beamish website http://www.beamish.org.uk/davys-coal-fired-fish-and-chip-shop/

EXTRACTS

Davy’s Fried Fish Shop has been built in The Pit Village at Beamish in the heart of the community, close to the Methodist chapel and the Board school.

It is typical of a type found throughout the region, which often began life as Victorian commercial buildings and were later converted to the new role.

The building was constructed by local builder, stonemason and bricklayer Kenny Bowen from Etherley, near Bishop Auckland, who has worked on many other projects at the Museum.

He used reclaimed local materials, red wire cut bricks typical of the area, along with bricks from Howdon Colliery and East Hetton Colliery. Kenny laboured throughout the winter of 2010, in some of the most severe weather we have seen for many years, to ensure that the building kept to schedule.

Pictures 20/05/15 approx 1300

Unfortunately no internal pictures as despite it being a quiet day the queues were large at time I looked in (as can be seen in my pictures)

Hopefully will get some interior pictures in due course

KEN
Unfortunately no further visit to get to take pictures of the interior but have just watched on Wednesday 16/09/15 between 2000 and 2100 a BBC Four programme from the 2011 series called "Brick by Brick; Rebuilding our Past"

Programme concerns the buildings of the museum complex, old bricks with manufacturer's names imprinted in them (in wall of one of the tram shelters), the history of brick making in pit villages, the history of fish and chips in the Edwardian period etc and specifically shows the process of constructing from scratch the coal fired Fish & Chip shop at Beamish, using original materials (bricks, windows etc) from the era with some items sourced as new (but matching what would have been used) and utilising an out of period but operational large capacity frier unit from 1930's from a closed down shop at Winlaton Mill (due to the salvaged Edwardian frier unit being too small capacity for demand)

Also shows the reconstruction of a mobile fish & chip unit that used to operate in Spennymoor area

On BBC iPlayer on this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01g7tkp/brick-by-brick-rebuilding-our-past-episode-2

Available to be viewed for 29 days after 16/09/15

On 17/09/15 adding these 4 screen prints taken from the programme

The small 1910 range

The larger range from Winlation Mill used generally

The Dining Saloon

KEN

#165 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of The Beamish Colliery Area, Part 1

Beamish Colliery Area - Engine Shed

From Beamish website http://www.beamish.org.uk/the-colliery/

Visit the engine shed to see industrial steam locomotives from the 1870s, including two Coffee Pot engines, by Head Wrightson, of Stockton on Tees, and Lewin-built No.18, which worked at Seaham Harbour, in County Durham

My pictures 20/05/15 approx 1300

More on following posts

KEN

#166 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of The Beamish Colliery Area, Part 2

Part 2

Beamish Colliery Area

Beamish Colliery Area - Colliery Winding Engine

From Beamish website http://www.beamish.org.uk/the-colliery/

Colliery Winding Engine: An unique sight – this steam winding engine, built by J&G Joicey & Co, of Newcastle upon Tyne, is the only survivor of its type, and was once common in the Northern Coalfield.

More on following posts

KEN

#167 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of The Beamish Colliery Area, Part 3

Part 3

Beamish Colliery Area (continued)

More on following posts

KEN

#168 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of The Beamish Colliery Area, Part 4

Part 4

Beamish Colliery Area (continued)

Colliery Lamp Cabin: See the rows of miners’ lamps in the cabin, where they would have collected and returned their safety lamp at the start and end of each shift.

and in the adjacent Pit Village area - Pit Pony Stables

http://www.beamish.org.uk/new-pit-pony-stables-under-construction/

EXTRACT

Our new stables will be constructed next to the School in the Pit Village, and will be a copy of an existing building, rather than a relocated building moved from elsewhere.

They will be constructed out of yellow brick, a type once common across the Durham coal field. It will also utilise many reclaimed materials such as roof slate from other buildings.

The original stable building, which we are copying, is situated between High Spen and Greenside, near Rowlands Gill. The building is still in use as a stable today, and whilst the interior of the building has changed, the exterior remains largely unaltered.

The stable served the Victoria Garesfield Colliery via Rickless Drift, on Rickless Lane.

My pictures 20/05/15 approx 1315

One of the 3 occupants

KEN

#169 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of Hetton Silver Band Hall

Hetton Silver Band Hall

From Beamish website http://www.beamish.org.uk/rebuilding-hetton-band-hall/

EXTRACT

The 100-year-old practice hall was taken down from South Market Street, in Hetton-le-Hole, and moved, brick by brick, to Beamish.

Now, visitors can see the band hall restored to its former glory in the Museum’s Colliery Village.

The hall opened to visitors on the 11th May 2013

The project also includes two smaller buildings – a toilet block, in colliery style, and a storage unit, which recreates the Quaking Houses Colliery garage that was donated to the Museum.

My pictures on a quiet Wednesday 20/05/15 approx 1330 - Alzheimers Society exhibition taking place at that time

KEN

#170 ·
Beamish Museum - some information & pictures from 20/05/15 of Pithill Methodist Chapel

Some pictures of the museum, taken by myself on a quiet Wednesday 20/05/15 approx 1315 - ideal for picture taking

Pithill Methodist Chapel, located in the pit village area

KEN

#171 ·
Suffragettes march on Beamish ahead of Merry Wives of Windsor at Bowes Museum

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/suffragettes-march-beamish-ahead-merry-9450717
Suffragettes march on Beamish ahead of Merry Wives of Windsor at Bowes Museum
07:00, 15 June 2015 By Michael Brown

Members of The Castle Players at the Edwardian Town at Beamish Museum

Suffragettes marched on Beamish in preparation for their efforts to update Shakespeare at County Durham’s Bowes Museum.

Members of community theatre company The Castle Players have for more than 25 years been performing the bard’s work in the grounds of the landmark. And now, in a year that will see the issue of universal suffrage - including the part played by Northumberland’s Emily Wilding Davison - once again on the international stage, the troop it to bring The Merry Wives of Windsor to the Edwardian age.

“We always try to find a new angle for our productions,” said show director Mary Stastny, “and the Suffragettes and Edwardian music hall fits exactly with the themes of the play, which is a bit of romp.”

The show, which runs from July 7 to 11, features a motorised miniature period tram, and the cast went to see the real thing - which for one of their number was a particularly special experience.

The attraction has a tram-driver’s costume loaned by the family of former Barnard Castle mayor Michael Wheeler - whose son Angus is chairman of the Castle Players and is Master Page in the production. “I know my dad would have been very pleased to know that the link between The Bowes Museum and Beamish has continued – even though this is in rather an unexpected way,” said Mr Wheeler, whose father - who had been one of the first people to drive a tram at Beamish - died in 2010.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/suffragettes-march-beamish-ahead-merry-9450717

#172 ·
EU cash released but Beamish Museum still blocked from applying for key £4m

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/eu-cash-released-beamish-museum-9543474
EU cash released but Beamish Museum still blocked from applying for key £4m
07:34, 29 June 2015 By Rachel Wearmouth

Beamish Museum in County Durham

A feared gap in European funding has closed as chiefs in Brussels release development cash - but questions remain over whether it will reach a key Beamish Museum project.

The European Commission has agreed a funding framework for regional funding, which will bring more than £600m job creation cash flow into the North East. Confusion over the transition from Regional Development Agencies to the new Local Enterprise Partnerships model had delayed the chunk of money, which should have been allocated in 2014.

Concern is spreading that County Durham’s Beamish Museum will continue to be blocked from applying, but could still be exempt as it is a not-for-profit venture and not a business. The heritage site is relying on £4m from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to push ahead with its ‘Remaking Beamish’ 12-year plan that would create 100 jobs.

It is believed the Government is to push the money into private sector-led job creation projects instead.

Labour MEP Jude Kirton-Darling has written to the Government to call for action and is calling on the North East Local Enterprise Partnership for support. She said: “Remaking Beamish will enable a key North East asset to create more jobs and attract more visitors into the region. It is a key tourism and cultural project for us. So, while it is great that the EU regional funds are now flowing to the North East it’s inexplicable that our Government has blocked Beamish from applying for the EU cash. The money is vital to deliver the 100 new jobs, thousands of training opportunities and apprentices foreseen. Remaking Beamish is about using our history to create future regional prosperity - our Government should be actively supporting it, not putting obstacles in its route.”

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/eu-cash-released-beamish-museum-9543474

#173 ·
Beamish Museum is embracing the summer and offering something for everyone

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...mish-museum-embracing-summer-offering-9580104
Beamish Museum is embracing the summer and offering something for everyone
16:00, 7 July 2015 By Sam Wonfor

Summer is here – and whether you’re seeking sporting celebrations, family fun or prefer a brass band in the park, you’ll find it at Beamish Museum.

Relax in a deckchair and cheer on local teams in the annual colliery cricket tournament on Sundays during the summer holidays. Another traditional game will be celebrated on July 11 and 12 when the National Quoits Championship is held at the museum. Quoits, which has been likened to hoopla, has historically been associated with mining communities.

A fascinating family trail is running throughout the school summer holidays. Special objects from the Beamish collections have been hidden around the museum. Visitors are encouraged to put their thinking caps on and solve the clues to find them.

A Celebration of North East Sport will take place from August 29-31 in conjunction with Great North Run Culture. This weekend event will include a children’s fun run on August 29. The race is free to enter but runners must register in advance. See www.beamish.org.uk for details. There’ll be lots of other exciting activities and displays throughout the weekend, celebrating the region’s proud sporting heritage.

If that sounds a bit too much like hard work, there’s always the option of pulling up a seat in The Town park to enjoy a wonderful brass band concert, with performances most weekends (check www.beamish.org.uk for full details). Remember, you can also enjoy a pint of local ale at The Pit Village beer tent and try your hand at traditional games, such as skittles, rope quoits, mini quoits, shove ha’penny, dominoes, pick-up sticks and noughts and crosses.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...mish-museum-embracing-summer-offering-9580104

#174 ·
Beamish Museum plans to recreate cottage of Northumberland murder victim Joseph Hedley

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-plans-recreate-cottage-9645123
Beamish Museum plans to recreate cottage of Northumberland murder victim Joseph Hedley
18:30, 13 July 2015 By Tony Henderson

'Joe the Quilter's' home, in Warden, near Hexham, was demolished in 1872

The cottage of a Northumberland quilter who was murdered nearly 200 years ago is set to be recreated at a North East museum.

Elderly widower Joseph Hedley was killed in January 1826 in his isolated cottage, in an unsolved crime that hit the national headlines. Joe was a talented quilter, whose fine work was sent as far afield as America and Ireland. He was known as a friendly individual who offered shelter to travellers and passers-by in his cottage. He was murdered on January 3, 1826, but despite the crime making national headlines and a substantial reward being offered, his killer was never found.

Even though the cottage was demolished, sketches made in the wake of Joe’s death give an insight into how it looked. “Joe the Quilter’s” home, in Warden, near Hexham, was demolished in 1872 but investigations by Beamish Museum in County Durham have identified the location and local people are being given the chance to take part in an excavation of the site.

Beamish plans to recreate the cottage as part of a £17million development. The museum is inviting local people, community groups and schools to get involved in a variety of ways, such as archaeology, exploring collections and Georgian life, and shaping plans for Joe’s cottage. On Wednesday, July 15, Beamish will be at Newbrough Town Hall, at 7pm, where people can find out more about Joe the Quilter and how they can help to tell his story. Joe’s cottage is part of the Remaking Beamish project, which include plans to expand the museum’s Georgian area, as well as building a 1950s Town.

Geraldine Straker, Remaking Beamish project officer, said: “We’re inviting everyone to come along and find out more about Joe the Quilter and his fascinating yet tragic story. We want the local community to be part of this project to recreate Joe’s cottage at Beamish, so we’ll be letting people know how they can get involved, from taking part in excavating his cottage, to helping plan its recreation at Beamish.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/beamish-museum-plans-recreate-cottage-9645123

#175 ·
Downton Abbey brings snow to the streets of Beamish Museum - in July

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/downton-abbey-brings-snow-streets-9660841
Downton Abbey brings snow to the streets of Beamish Museum - in July
12:42, 15 July 2015 By Michael Brown

Visitors to Beamish found Christmas had come early as the cast of Downton Abbey turned the museum’s streets snowy to film a festive episode.

As crowds gathered, the stars of the show and extras could be seen in period costume outside the attraction’s famous sweet shop. The production saw parts of The Town area turned into a set for around two and a half hours on Monday afternoon - with the museum cheekily trying to fool its Facebook followers that the wintery scenes were genuine weird summer weather.

“It has been known to snow quite late into the year here in County Durham,” a spokesman for the museum said. “We imagine a few people would have believed us.”

Of course it is not the first time the popular drama has filmed in the region, with last year’s Christmas episode seeing the cast and crew spending a week in Alnwick. Streets outside Alnwick Castle were dusted with fake snow in August 2014 as the ITV show visited Northumberland, filming at the home of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland and in nearby Hulne Park.

Then some of the famous faces in the cast made themselves at home in the town - with actors Allen Leech and Rob James-Collier, who play Tom Branson and Thomas Barrow, popping into the Tanners Arms for a pint, chatting to locals and posing for the odd photograph. Yet this time there are no reports of the cast staying in the area, and by the following morning the Beamish street had been returned to its usual, summer appearance.

See image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/downton-abbey-brings-snow-streets-9660841

#177 ·
Beamish Museum to give Grand Electric Cinema in Ryhope a new lease of life

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/beamish-museum-give-grand-electric-9737646
Beamish Museum to give Grand Electric Cinema in Ryhope a new lease of life
19:00, 27 July 2015 By David Whetstone

Ryhope’s former Grand Electric Cinema doesn’t look very grand any more – but if it has seen better days, its best are surely yet to come.

The cinema, which had a second fling as a bingo hall, is to be removed – brick by brick – from the spot in the coastal village near Sunderland that it has occupied since 1912 and then rebuilt as the centrepiece of Beamish Museum’s new 1950s Town.

The keys to the building were handed to Beamish director Richard Evans by its last owners, Angela and Gary Hepple, who bought it 18 years ago and have been using it to store their car collection. They were thrilled to see a building which has done well to elude demolition destined for a new lease of life elsewhere.

Gary recalled that when they first gained entry it had been disused for several years but the glasses and full ashtrays were still on the tables as if the last bingo players had left in a hurry. Angela said a cousin of hers had been to Beamish and seen plans for the 1950s Town. “She rang me and said they were looking for a 1950s cinema and why didn’t I get in touch to see if they might want something?”

Richard Evans said: “We’re still in the planning stages of the 1950s Town project, pulling together the buildings and the stories and objects we need. We’re hoping to begin a four to five-year construction period next year. This building will form the centrepiece of the new town which has already touched a nerve, evoking memories of the period for many people.” The Grand Electric, he said, was a fine example of the cinemas that once proliferated in towns and villages across the region, although many had become “victims of progress”, being turned into bingo halls and then demolished. He said that once installed at Beamish with its original grandeur restored, the cinema would be used for screenings.

Read more, see image gallery and video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/beamish-museum-give-grand-electric-9737646

#178 ·
This from the Northern Echo,--

Replica of community centre near Bishop Auckland to feature in new 1950s Beamish town

A COMMUNITY centre which has been at the heart of two villages for more than 60 years will be recreated as part of a celebration of everyday 1950s life.

A replica of the Coundon and Leeholme Community Association centre at the Leeholme Welfare Hall, near Bishop Auckland, will be included in the new 1950s town at Beamish, the Living Museum of the North.

The museum, near Stanley, County Durham, is investing £17m in the Remaking Beamish project, which will also see the creation of an upland farm and the expansion of the Georgian area, including a coaching inn.

Read more http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...uckland_to_feature_in_new_1950s_Beamish_town/

#179 ·
Pitman painter Norman Cornish's home is to be recreated at Beamish Museum in County Durham

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...s/pitman-painter-norman-cornishs-home-9841164
Pitman painter Norman Cornish's home is to be recreated at Beamish Museum in County Durham
14:35, 12 August 2015 By Sam Wonfor

Pitman painter Norman Cornish’s home is set to be replicated as part of the latest development at Beamish museum. The childhood home, including the studio, of the much-loved artist, who died last August at the age of 94, will be copied and rebuilt as part of the County Durham attraction’s 1950s Town.

“We’re delighted to be sharing the story of Norman Cornish and the Spennymoor Settlement in our planned 1950s Town,” said remaking Beamish project officer Lisa Peacock. We’re honoured to have received these amazing pieces of history from the studio and home of Norman, who so skillfully captured everyday life in the North East. We’d love to hear people’s memories of Spennymoor in the 1950s and we’re really looking forward to working with the community to explore their heritage.”

Norman’s paintings portrayed life in Bishop’s Close Street, in Spennymoor, where he lived - at number 33 - both as a youngster and later with his wife Sarah and their children. The house was demolished in the 1970s. The replica house will tell the story of Norman and his family, as well as life in the town, including the Spennymoor Settlement, which Norman joined at the age of 15. The Settlement provided free classes and community groups and was an outlet for creativity in an area affected by unemployment and poverty.

Before his death, Norman arranged for the contents of his studio, including some unfinished work, and some furniture from his home to be donated to the museum

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...s/pitman-painter-norman-cornishs-home-9841164

#180 ·
Four North East attractions have been awarded VisitEngland tourism accolades

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/four-north-east-attractions-been-9852654
Four North East attractions have been awarded VisitEngland tourism accolades
18:30, 13 August 2015 By Tony Henderson

Vindolanda

VisitBritain awards joy for Vindolanda, the Greenhead Roman Army Museum, Beamish and Raby Castle. Four North East attractions have been awarded national tourism accolades in recognition of the quality of their visitor experiences.

In a national list of 17 VisitEngland Accolades, awards have been given to Vindolanda Roman fort and its nearby sister site, the Roman Army Museum at Greenhead in Northumberland, Beamish Museum, and Raby Castle in County Durham.

Rhiannon Hiles, Beamish’s deputy director, said: “We are so delighted to have been awarded the VisitEngland Best Told Story Accolade. At Beamish we place our visitors at the centre of everything we do and we aim to reach a diverse audience through the stories we tell across the museum, of the social, industrial and rural history of the communities across the region using immersive engagement techniques. The Accolade means so much to Beamish, for our staff, volunteers and most importantly our visitors and we are very proud to have been awarded this.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/four-north-east-attractions-been-9852654

#181 ·
The Great North Festival of Agriculture kicks off at Beamish Museum in September

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/great-north-festival-agriculture-kicks-9948334
The Great North Festival of Agriculture kicks off at Beamish Museum in September
31 August 2015 By Sam Wonfor

The Great North Agricultural Show is promising to celebrate the region's proud heritage at Beamish Museum this autumn

From lumberjills and prize leeks to a country show and traditional crafts – the region’s proud agricultural heritage is being celebrated at Beamish Museum this autumn.

The Great North Festival of Agriculture, which starts in September, features a whole season of events, and visitors are being invited to get involved.

The new Dig for Victory event, from September 3-6, takes place at the County Durham museum’s 1940s Farm, and includes a “jam drive” – which was led by the WI in the Second World War – gardening and the story of a local lumberjill. There’ll also be wartime food, entertainment, make-do and mend, military vehicles and Morse code activities.

The green-fingered among you will be delighted to hear entries are now open for the Beamish Leek Show, which is held on September 12 and 13, with a variety of vegetables and flower classes, plus brass band performances. Shield Row Allotment Association annual leek show will also be taking place. The Beamish Agricultural Show, on September 17-20, features everything from birds of prey and beekeeping, strongmen and sheepdogs, to archery and alpacas.

There’s also the chance to impress the judges in the industry section, with categories for best cakes, scones, jam, wine, patchwork, peg dolls, proggy mats, woodwork, knitting, and lots more. All categories in the Leek Show and Agricultural Show are free to enter, so there’s no downside to throwing your baked goods or associated veg into the ring (we’re speaking metaphorically here – we think food throwing of any kind would pretty much nullify your chances of winning anything).

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/great-north-festival-agriculture-kicks-9948334