SkyscraperCity Forum banner

THE LAKE DISTRICT | News and Developments

46K views 378 replies 8 participants last post by  madannie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Lake District.

This thread is for our photos, memories, other stories and information about the Lake District.

In my lifetime, it was always a place you went to for holidays, school trips, etc.

It is also a place that, in my own experience, it often seemed to rain a lot. I remember one week as a young lad with the scouts when we seemed to be soaking wet all the time from endless rain and sometimes even floods (not to mention chucking eachother into various lakes!) but that never detracted from the sheer beauty of the place.

It would be great to see peoples photos of the Lakes on here, and not just from "us visitors" to there from the North East, but from from those of us living over there and in Cumbria generally. We now get a lot of forum members from Cumbria on this "Communal Area" of the North East England Sub-forum of SSC, as here is where ALL the Cumbria Threads are located - this is the only SSC location where CUMBRIA is regularly covered.

To start the thread off, I will copy in to here a series of photo-posts about the Lake District made in 2010 by a Portugese visitor to the Lakes called marciomaco, and posted by him on the Portugal Forum - Fórum Português

Now, I do not understand the Portugese language myself (is there anyone on here who can translate?) but in any case it is mainly the actual photos themselves that tell the story here, rather than the narrative, I think.

marciomaco's photos start at the next post . . .

See less See more
#58 ·
This from the Westmorland Gazette,--

Heritage bid not good for Lakes, says conservationist

CONTROVERSIAL conservationist George Monbiot has launched a broadside at the bid for the Lake District to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Describing the national park as 'sheep wrecked', the writer and activist heavily criticised the thinking behind the bid, which is being masterminded by the National Park Partnership, which includes the Lake District National Park Authority and the National Trust.

He claims that only the farming community will benefit from the national park gaining the status, as it would simply preserve their right to continue farming in the way they do.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...bid_not_good_for_Lakes__says_conservationist/

#59 ·

WALK: explore part of the Lake District that's bypassed by many on their way to the popular fells

FOUR compact hills close to the towns of Windermere and Bowness provide worthy targets for an interesting walk, writes JOHN EDMONDSON. The first two are called Knotts, the third a Fell and the fourth, daddy of them all, is Grandsire. There are no hard climbs and the walk is a satisfying way to explore part of the Lake District that is bypassed by many making their way to the popular fells.

Start from the junction of minor roads south of the A591 in the west end of Ings. Grid reference SD 444 986, postcode LA8 9PY.

Information:

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co..._their_way_to_the_popular_fells/?ref=mr&lp=9#

#60 ·

New Wordsworth Trust exhibition puts one of the region's most beautiful valleys centre stage

WINDSWEPT fells, a picturesque river and the rich heritage of one of the region's most beautiful and charming valleys are centre stage in a new Wordsworth Trust exhibition.

By Duddon’s Side is a fascinating interactive display exploring the landscape of the Duddon Valley through the treasured words of William Wordsworth’s Duddon Sonnets on show at the Grasmere trust's Wordsworth Museum until June 27.

The Duddon was a significant influence on the great poet, who In 1820, published a series of sonnets that celebrate and explore the landscape of the Duddon Valley, expressing in particular his lifelong affection for the river.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...n__39_s_most_beautiful_valleys_centre_stage/#

#61 ·
Way back when I was young all my school pencils said Cumberland on them, and John Craven was known only for Newsround :grandpa:

This from the Times and Star:

"John Craven will officially reopen Keswick's pencil museum

Countryfile's John Craven is heading to Cumbria to reopen a popular tourist attractions as it bounces back from the 2015 floods.

The TV presenter will be in Keswick next Thursday for the reopening of the Derwent Pencil Museum.

John will give a speech and cut the ribbon at 11am, marking the start of a new era for the museum.

He will be joined by spaniels Max and Paddy, who are social media stars.

Museum manager Dawn Walker said: “We’ve had about 3,000 visitors since we reopened and the response has been 95 per cent positive.

“I think it is quite a shock for people when they first go in because it looks so different.

“It’ll be lovely to meet John Craven because for me he goes right back to Newsround.”

She added: “It should be a fantastic day and a lovely community event.”

Work to refit Keswick’s flood-hit pencil museum began late last year."

#62 ·
This from the Westmorland Gazette,---

WALK: five Wainwrights, a remote tarn and views not to be missed

VISIT five Wainwrights and a remote tarn on this adventurous linear walk using the 555 bus service, writes JOHN EDMONDSON.

Much of the walk is over peat bog, which can be ankle deep even in dry weather. Alfred Wainwright warned this walk is one of the wettest in Lakeland, and not to be undertaken for pleasure! However, the views, particularly from above the tarn, are not to be missed and it’s quiet even during busy holidays. There are few clear landmarks so a large scale map is essential and choose a clear, dry day but expect to get wet feet.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...ts__a_remote_tarn_and_views_not_to_be_missed/

#63 ·
Having walked the northern part of this route some years ago I can attest that the ridge is very wet: certainly the boggiest walking I have ever done on the Fells. I would recommend walking from Keswick to Bleaberry Fell via Walla Crag which is commendably dry, especially now the path to Bleaberry Fell has been repaired, and forget the ridge. Ullscarf is probably best approached from Stonethwaite via Greenup Gill, although I cannot comment on the route from Wythburn.

#65 ·
This from the News & Star,--

Copeland 'to benefit from Lake District World Heritage Site status'

22 June 2017 8:44AM

Copeland looks set for a multi-million pound economic boost benefit if the Lake District is granted World Heritage Site (WHS) status.

Tourism businesses, farmers and communities could all be set to benefit if the proposal gets the go-ahead from global body Unesco.

A bid from Cumbria is being considered by officials from the organisation, which is part of the United Nations.

These claims have been made by members of Copeland Borough Council, who have agreed that the area needs to make the most of the opportunities this status would present.

Two thirds of the borough lies within the Lake District National Park, which could be granted WHS status and at the end of next month.

The authority is a member of the Lake District National Park Partnership, which has agreed to use this status as a marketing tool to increase visitor numbers and boost development.

At a full meeting of the council, members agreed that the authority's policies should make the most of the opportunities presented by the status.

Mayor Mike Starkie said: "This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and as a borough we cannot wait to make the most of it. In other places, where it has been fully maximised, the status has meant new development, increased funding, conservation benefits and even some regeneration.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/b...tatus-d627673e-69d1-46d1-91da-71a6bdd609f9-ds

#66 ·
What a fantastic photo,----

WALK: an undulating walk with panoramic views of Glenridding and southern Ullswater

ENJOY panoramic views of Glenridding and southern Ullswater on this undulating walk, writes JOHN EDMONDSON. With options of between four and eight miles there’s something to please all walkers. The route follows one of the many Lake District National Park guided walks. This one will be led on Saturday, July 22; Tuesday, August 1; Saturday, September 2; Thursday, September 28 and Sunday, October 29.

Start from the car park or bus stop on Greenside Road, Glenridding (grid reference NY 386 170, postcode CA11 0PD).

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co..._views_of_Glenridding_and_southern_Ullswater/

#67 ·
I was looking for a Lake District thread before and thought one didn't exist. That's because I didn't think to look in the North East thread :lol:

I live at Lancaster, The Lake District is only down the road. Has to be North West! But anyway, found it now lol

Great pics!

#69 ·

PODIUM: Let's hope the Lake District wins World Heritage Status

Becky Heaton Cooper, the director of the Heaton Cooper Studio in Grasmere, is hopeful the Lake District will soon gain World Heritage Status

WE have been watching for several years as the Lake District has worked towards World Heritage Site status. It is now awaiting the decision by UNESCO.

As the Lake District Centre for the Interpretation of Landscape, the Heaton Cooper studio was one of the original stakeholders in the bid by the Lake District National Park Authority.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...the_Lake_District_wins_World_Heritage_Status/

#70 ·
Good luck,---

Lake District world heritage status decision expected at weekend

A DECISION is expected on the Lake District's bid for World Heritage status on Sunday (July 9).

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation will make the announcement.

The bid was submitted by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and Historic England (HE) as the UK’s only submission in 2016.

It was put together by the Lake District National Park Partnership (LDNPP) – 25 partner organisations that work together to manage the Lake District.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...heritage_status_decision_expected_at_weekend/

#71 ·
The man from UNESCO say "Yes"

From the News and Star:

"Lake District listed as World Heritage Site

THE Lake District National Park has been officially named as a World Heritage site.

UNESCO listed the site on its World Heritage Status List today at the 41st session of the World Heritage Committee.

A national park since 1951, the Lake District now joins some of the most iconic locations on the planet including the Taj Mahal, Great Barrier Reef and Grand Canyon as a place of international acclaim.

The announcement in Krakow has led to jubilation among 25 organisations in the Lake District National Park Partnership who had put the bid together for UNESCO recognition in the cultural landscape category."

Full story at http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/L...-Site-50798201-6856-49b9-ba99-eb4fa6dbd3a6-ds

Nice photo as well. One of my favourite views, looking down Ullswater from Gowbarrow.

#73 ·

Business leaders: Whole of Cumbria needs to benefit from Lakes world heritage boost

Work has started to ensure that the whole of Cumbria benefits from the Lake District's new World Heritage site status.

The chief executive of Carlisle-based H&H Group has pledged to lobby government to ensure rural businesses are supported and believes focus must now be on taking the county forward for future generations.

Brian Richardson said: "At H&H, our business is very much tied to the rural and farming economy of the area which does so much to create the landscape and the future fortunes of farming and is critically important in maintaining that managed landscape in the future.

"Work can now continue to maintain what we have and also to develop the economic benefits that may accrue."

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/B...boost-62a2375a-6f43-4656-8688-65cbbb76d2e7-ds

#74 ·

University to open new National Parks centre in UK's latest World Heritage site

University to open new National Parks centre in UK's latest World Heritage site

The University of Cumbria is to open a new centre for national parks later this year - as the Lake District is made the UK's latest World Heritage Site.

UNESCO's latest announcement which puts the Lake District along the likes of the Great Barrier Reef and the Taj Mahal means that there are now two World Heritage Sites in Cumbria.

The second is Hadrian's Wall, part of which runs across the northern edge of the county. It is 30 years since the Roman wall was granted the status.

The University of Cumbria, which celebrates its 10th anniversary in August, has campuses in both World Heritage sites.

Its Ambleside campus has been revived and is now a jewel in its estates crown after it was mothballed during the university's early financial crisis.

It will be home to the new Centre for National Parks, which will be launched in September.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/U...-site-6ada14df-f23c-4ee2-ac26-4ec57d2648ba-ds

#75 ·

HAVE YOUR VOTE: Will World Heritage status benefit the Lake District?

This week the Lake District National Park was granted UNESCO World Heritage Status.

It joins an elite club that includes Hadrian's Wall, the historic centre of Vienna, the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks and the Statue of Liberty.

Reader vote
Will World Heritage status benefit the Lake District?

Yes
No

There are hopes that it will bring a massive economic boost to the area in terms of increased tourism and jobs.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...d_Heritage_status_benefit_the_Lake_District_/

#76 ·

LETTER: World Heritage Site status will mean more visitors - but we have to find a way to cater for them all

Few would doubt that the Lake District is thoroughly deserving of its World Heritage Status. However, those celebrating this as a boost for our tourism economy might wish to consider carefully the wider implications.

There has always been a small body of opinion that the Lake District should stand still in time, and such views may be reinforced by the Unesco decision. But to regard the World Heritage designation as a red light to any future improvements to the public realm would, in my opinion, be wrong.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co..._we_have_to_find_a_way_to_cater_for_them_all/

#77 ·

Millions could come to Lakes thanks to World Heritage status

MILLIONS of pounds could be generated and thousands of new jobs created on the back of the Lake District gaining World Heritage Status.

Now recognised as a cultural landscape of international significance, the area has joined the likes of the Taj Mahal and the Great Barrier Reef in its significance.

The announcement has been met with widespread celebration, with claims that it could bring in an additional £81.6m to the national park and support 2,900 new jobs.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...ome_to_Lakes_thanks_to_World_Heritage_status/

#78 ·

World Heritage Site status set to bring a significant economic boost to the Lake District

UNESCO inscription for the Lake District brings a tremendous opportunity for businesses, not only for those operating within the newly-designated World Heritage Site, but for enterprises throughout Cumbria. Windermere Lakes Cruises managing director Nigel Wilkinson, chairman of the Lake District National Park Partnership’s business task force, assesses the potential

WORLD Heritage inscription will not just benefit Cumbria's tourism sector. Food, farming and other rural businesses across the county will also be able to use WHS status to raise their profile and help support marketing.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...nificant_economic_boost_to_the_Lake_District/

#79 ·

Lakes beauty spot named as one of best places for a picnic in the UK

TARN Hows near Coniston has been named the 11th best picnic spot in the UK, with Fell Foot Park, near Newby Bridge, just missing out on a top 20 place.

An expert panel of parents and travellers created the shortlist based on views, facilities, parking, and accessibility.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...as_one_of_best_places_for_a_picnic_in_the_UK/

#80 ·

Lake District World Heritage status and Euro value could bring tourist boost

Lake District World Heritage status and Euro value could bring tourist boost

Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway mascot La'al Ratty

World Heritage Status and high-value Euros mean a top Cumbrian tourist attraction is expecting bumper demand for the rest of the summer holidays.

Leaders at the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway believe that the Lake District's new profile - along with strong Euro to pound conversion rates - mean an influx of visitors.

The long narrow gauge railway is encouraging families to take advantage of a number of initiatives they have on, including "Kids Go Free" Fridays throughout the rest of this month as well as September 1.

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/L...boost-1c856aa8-3b8b-4e12-aab8-1c2490340830-ds

#81 ·

Lake District named one of happiest places in UK

THE LAKE District is one of the United Kingdom's happiest places according to a survey carried out by the Serviced Apartments Company (SACO).

The area came second in the poll to find out where Britons have had the happiest holiday memories.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...ed_one_of_happiest_places_in_UK/?ref=mrb&lp=4

#82 ·

PODIUM: World Heritage Site status will bring many benefits to the Lake District

I STILL find it difficult to think of the English Lake District as a World Heritage Site. When I walk, talk, or drive, I'm still smiling. Will I ever get over it? I hope not!

Strangely, I'd never considered being at the 41st World Heritage Committee, until I arrived in Krakow. Its global significance shouted from all directions; flags lining the streets, rooftop police marksmen and attending ambassadors and dignitaries from a vast array of countries.

I was humbled and honoured to represent the Lake District and its Partnership. This was the United Nations in operation, coming together to celebrate world assets transcending political and geographic boundaries.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co...ill_bring_many_benefits_to_the_Lake_District/

#83 ·

WALK: one of the Lake District's grandest objects

ACCORDING to Alfred Wainwright, Blencathra is “one of the grandest objects in the Lake District,” writes JOHN EDMONDSON. This circular ramble goes from Mungrisdale and visits this popular fell and three more Wainwrights. The village name, which is pronounced ‘mun-grize-dale,’ means valley where young pigs graze. 'Porklings' no longer run wild on these fell slopes but on a clear day there are spectacular views and the route is easy to follow.

Park at the roadside between Beckside and Mungrisdale and start from the village hall. Map reference NY 363 301, postcode CA11 0XR.

Read more http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co..._of_the_Lake_District__39_s_grandest_objects/

#86 ·

New Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team HQ takes shape

Building work is well underway at a new base for Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team.

Foundations have been laid, the steel structure has been built and work is being done to make the building water tight by the end of this week.

Over £555,000 is being spent on the purpose-built headquarters on land on the outskirts of Gosforth.

John Bamforth, chairman of Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, has spoken about how it feels to see the build underway.

He said: "It doesn't seem real. It was over ten years ago since we first starting asking for permission to have some land."

Read more http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/N...shape-7bc27d8a-5609-4075-b23d-30dc480e0745-ds

#87 ·
I think this is the best place for this story as all the schemes mentioned are in the Lake District although the report states "for Cumbria", which could imply some of the schemes not mentioned are outwith the National Park.

From the Cumberland News:

"£10m hydro power schemes for Cumbria

Almost 100 years after it was first tried, hydro-electric power is returning to a tourist honeypot.

The old turbine at Watendlath is to be replaced as part of a £10million green power project by the National Trust in Cumbria.

It is one of 10 projects planned for the county over the next three years.

They are part of a national programme to invest £33m in 43 projects to help the charity generate 50 per cent of our energy from renewable energy sources by 202 0

The original Watendlath unit was built in 1920 to provided electricity before the hamlet was served by the National Grid, but has not been operational for decades."

The full story at http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/new...mbria-cbc74c52-9732-4b4e-94eb-51bca205ed47-ds is well worth a read. It seems logical to use the plentiful running water to be found in Cumbria to generate electricity on a smallish scale without the expense of dams.

Ever the inquisitive sort, I went hunting around online and found this interesting article from The National Trust about the Hause Gill scheme above Honister.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/features/hause-gill-hydro-power-scheme