La Union Heritage Watch - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #1
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Likes (Received): 96370

La Union Heritage Watch

This thread will feature some of La Union's historical sites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #2
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

PORO POINT LIGHTHOUSE - San Fernando City, La Union

from a blog by oooneh at http://ooohneh.blogspot.com/2011/06/...ighthouse.html

Poro Point lies northwest of Luzon within San Fernando City in the Province of La Union. Approximate travel time from Manila is 5hrs by land travel and less than an hour by plane. A lighthouse was built at Poro Point in 1905 during the American occupation.

The Poro Point Lighthouse is 8 meters (27 ft) high, its tower made up of concrete tower which consists a gallery but it has no lantern. It has a focal plane of 33meters (107ft) and has two white flashes every 10seconds.

The lighthouse is not accessible to tourist because it is inside a military airfield/base. Plans to develop the lighthouse as a tourist destination is being considered. The blogger got a (once in a lifetime) chance to visit the lighthouse, up close and personal.

Aboard a red plate vehicle and lead by a personnel from our regional office, we went to the entrance of the lighthouse. We stopped by the checkpoint, and courteously asked if we could take photos of the lighthouse. The military guard on duty was a bit hesitant and he radioed someone somewhere inside the base. He asked us of our purpose for trying to enter the military secured area.

I had that scene playing over and over in my mind.
Take 1: We are going to take samples for some baseline study on seawater quality on this side of the gulf.
Take 2: We received a call about unstable ground and earth movement inside.. We are here to investigate.

I grew up in a military base, so I know how it is with these guys. They are strict and they follow protocol. But if they don't see you as a threat and you show them valid proofs of credibility, you'll have no problem asking for a small favor.

So the safest answer, not to mention the one that worked was - "Oh these guys are from Manila and we are touring them. We are from _____. Is it okay if we enter? It wouldn't take long." (Me at the back, flashing my best smile..) He asked for our ID's and gave us the thumbs-up!

And finally my photo at the lighthouse after the military fuzz at the gate...

Around the lighthouse are abandoned structures. The only wildlife out there are dogs barking at us, and goats happily chewing grass. Several structures can be seen inside the base including these two building with giant golf balls as a roofing.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lXdHgMO9AB...0/IMG_3838.JPG

The Saint 2014 liked this post
hugodiekonig está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Luna Watchtower

Photo by Carl Emar Carbajal via NATIVES OF LA UNION
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #4
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Monument to a past, the Pindangan ruins

From a blog at langyaw.com http://langyaw.com/2011/07/01/monume...ndangan-ruins/

Side entrance to a once beautiful church

It was a no brainer. The ruins in Pindangan, part of Barangay Parian in San Fernando City, La Union is old judging from the primitive construction technique of mamposteria, stones, placed one on top of the other.

It was how smaller churches of old were used to be built during the middle of the Spanish colonial period or places where evangelization has just started. But for me, I’ve always wanted to visit this ruin, precursor to the present cathedral of San Fernando City, probably constructed in the 1780s by the Augustinians.

I’m not sure if this is the original church as a document is said to list down four structures in different parts of San Fernando built prior to the current one.

Pindang is an Ilocano term for a fish drying method and this might be the place where the locals used to do it. The sitio of Pindangan was originally formed when the two oldest and important towns of Dalangdalang and Balanac were merged. Later, Pindangan was known as San Fernando, currently the capital of La Union.
The ruins only has its walls and buttresses with parts of the facade. There are interesting bas reliefs at the interior walls that are mostly Augustinian symbols: the miter and the hand ho lding a house. A portion of the facade has interesting animal carvings and some floral designs.

The ruins can be accessed through a small road along the MacArthur Highway, meters from the Department of Foreign Affairs Regional Office and just before entering the city center.

Bas relief of a symbol of St. Augustine.

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Luna’s lonely sentinel of the sea

from a blog by Estan Cabigas at langyaw.com
source link: http://langyaw.com/2011/07/03/lunas-...el-of-the-sea/

Broken into two, Luna's sole watchtower is in such a sorry state, an unworthy condition to what it has served its people before.

I was quite excited when our guide told us that we will be visiting the Pindangan Ruins and the Luna watchtower in La Union while staying at the Thunderbird Resorts in Poro Point.

Being a heritage advocate and who has been documenting these kind of structures for some time, my simbahan.net blog is testament to this, I was quite excited as I’ve been wanting to visit this two structures but didn’t just had the time to go there. Until that La Union visit.

But what greeted me was disheartening. It has lost its balance, leaning on the sandy shores of Luna’s beach. Broken and probably left with no more tears as the descendants of the ancestors that this structure protected from the Pintados from the Visayas, Moro marauders looking for slaves, left it under the merciless elements while the area is continuously being quarried for its pebbles and sand.

Left under the mercy of the elements, it stands as a forgotten reminder to once dangerous times.

Centuries ago, I would surmise that it stood proudly on this very shores, elegant and white washed with paletada. At the sight of the slave raiders, the human sentinel might have set a smoke signal to warn the townsfolk of impending attack while the church bells are rung to call on the people to gather at the church.

It would have been a beautiful structure. A base of mamposteria, stones piled upon one another, and then layered with thousands of bricks as can be seen now. Not sure if it has a second floor but there are slots for wooden beams above the windows.

Unfortunately, this defender of Namacpacan, Luna’s old name, has deteriorated greatly. I just hope that the local government will have rehabilitation plans and make it as part of their tourism sites, a heritage structure worth saving for the memories it served and as part of its historical fabric.

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Ma-Cho Temple, San Fernando, La Union

From a blog by: Lia Cruz

If you've ever driven along the highway through La Union, through San Fernando City, you've most probably spotted a towering temple of worship protruding from behind the downtown structures. That would be Taoist Ma-Cho Temple.

Mama Ma-Cho (pronounced Ma-Tzoo) is supposed to be a protector of the those who travel the seas. If you're familiar with Batangas' Our Lady of Caysasay (who they say was found in the waters by a fisherman), Mama Ma-Cho is actually one and the same. There is even a whole board inside the temple containing reading material explaining the Our Lady of Caysasay and Mama Ma-Cho are indeed the same.

Here's a look into the very serene and peaceful temple and some of its grounds.

The kindly old Chinese man inside the temple also taught me how to worship, and how to ask Mama Ma-Cho a question. Worship comes first.

Step One: Light three sticks of incense for either a) God in Heaven, b) Mama Ma Cho, or c) God of Wealth

Step Two: Get on your knees, face the direction of whichever deity you're worshipping, and bow three times.

Step Three: Stick the incense into the pot.

Step Four: Pick up the red wooden halves, hold them in front of Mama Ma-Cho or whichever deity you prefer, ask a question answerable by "yes" or "no."

Step Five: Encircle the sticks of incense with the wooden halves 24 times, then drop them to the floor. Look at the way they end up, and refer to the legend to interpret the answer.

Source link: http://liadcruz.blogspot.com/2011/08...-la-union.html
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #7
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Pindangan Ruins

During the Spanish times, a settlement was a place where there were about 200 families. Around this area, there were two settlements, San Vicente de Balanac and San Guillermo de Dalangdang. San Vicente de Balanac was along the coast and during summer, when the sea was calm and perfect for sailing, pirates would come and plunder settlement, taking along with them the women and children leaving behind them a trail of blood. San Guillermo de Dalangdang, however was at the foot of the Cordillera mountains, and during summer, when the fire trees were in bloom, the populace was attacked by headhunters who saw in the red flowers the fire trees as a sign of the gods asking for human offering.

From: Tourism Office of San Fernando City La Union's Photos via Facebook
photo link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...58965577462929
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #8
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Ma-Tzu Temple, Brgy. Ilocanos Norte, San Fernando City, La Union

From: Tourism Office of San Fernando City La Union's Photos via Facebook
photo link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...58965577462929
Old August 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #9
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Luna Watchtower in Acrylic Paint

Painting by: Marvin Nuto via Luna (La Union) Association Facebook
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #10
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Thanks at ginawa nyo rin itong sticky thread! There is really a need to restore some of our old structures like the Luna Watchtower and the Pindangan ruins. We also have several old Spanish houses in our province that needs to be restored
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #11
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Museo Iloko, Agoo

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #12
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

The House of Manuel Arguilla in Nagrebcan, Bauang (photo by me, Hugo Le Roi)

Manuel Estabillo Arguilla (1911 – 1944) was an Ilokano writer in English, patriot, and martyr.

He is known for his widely anthologized short story "How My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife," the main story in the collection "How My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife and Other Short Stories" which won first prize in the Commonwealth Literary Contest in 1940.

His stories "Midsummer" and "Heat" was published in the United States by the Prairie Schooner.

Most of Arguilla's stories depict scenes in Barrio Nagrebcan, Bauang, La Union where he was born. His bond with his birthplace, forged by his dealings with the peasant folk of Ilocos, remained strong even after he moved to Manila where he studied at the University of the Philippines where he finished BS Education in 1933 and where he became a member and later the president of the U.P. Writer's Club and editor of the university's Literary Apprentice.

He married Lydia Villanueva, another talented writer in English, and they lived in Ermita, Manila. Here, F. Sionil José, another seminal Filipino writer in English, recalls often seeing him in the National Library, which was then in the basement of what is now the National Museum. "you couldn't miss him", Jose describes Arguilla, "because he had this black patch on his cheek, a birthmark or an overgrown mole. He was writing then those famous short stories and essays which I admired."

He became a creative writing teacher at the University of Manila and later worked at the Bureau of Public Welfare as managing editor of the bureau's publication Welfare Advocate until 1943. He was later appointed to the Board of Censors. He secretly organized a guerrilla intelligence unit against the Japanese.

In October 1944, he was captured, tortured and executed by the Japanese army at Fort Santiago.

- from wikipedia
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #13
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Aringay Tunnel

Photo by: Nicky Carreon Gallardo http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...05009896192663
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #14
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Poro Point Lighthouse

Photo by: lexarevalo http://www.digitalphotographer.com.p...ad.php?t=29089
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #15
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Tobacco Industry in La Union

source: Facebook page of Natives of La Union
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #16
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife, MEA

This might be my second read of How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife but this is definitely the first I’ve tried to digest the beauty of the prose as an experience in itself. However, unlike more fortunate literature buffs who have their own copy of How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife (And Other Stories), I had to rely on Baul to give me a similar fantastic ride to Nagrebcan, Bauang, La Union.

Shame! Manuel Viloria says the collection was only twenty pesos.

The story, like most of Arguilla’s prose, transpires in Barrio Nagrebcan in La Union, the birthplace of Manuel E. Arguilla himself. You’ll immediately realize how the writer loves his hometown by the vivid imagery and sensuality that he offers on the plate. From the shapes and the sounds to even the scent of the air, Arguilla spares no detail to prove that beauty exists in Nagrebcan.

From the title, you can surmise what type of story this is and how it could develop as it goes along. Leon is actually the big brother of the main protagonist, the wielder of the mystic point-of-view, but his wife takes to him as Noel as the latter coinage is presumably a modern twist of Leon though obviously it is an inversion of the word. Baldo is the little brother and Maria, Baldo taking traditional names into mind as he hears her name for the first time, is the wife whom Leon/Noel brought back home.

Maria is actually city bred and Leon/Noel and Baldo are blatantly townsfolk. There’s the culture clash that serves to be the conflict, though only between the father and the oblivious Maria. Since Leon/Noel brought Maria to Nagrebcan, it can be presumed that they’ll be staying there. As a precaution, unbeknownst to even Leon/Noel and Baldo, their father have asked the younger son to do certain things out of the norm just to see if the wife can really adjust to her new setting – the barrio and the family.

Certain characters, with depth, to note are their sister Aurelia and the bull Labang.

What I like about the short story is Arguilla’s character development. They seem to just pop out of the text, giving the reader an impression that they could have been, and could very well be, real people. Most writers often base their characters on real life acquaintances. Whether Arquilla went deeper or not, he still pulled it off and impressively, if I may be so bold.

The ending reflected Baldo’s attraction to Maria or, to be more specific, to the notion of finding his own wife someday.

In its entirety, How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife focuses on the aforementioned culture clash or the setting shift when someone from the barrio or the city is transported to the other. The concept is distinctly Filipino but essentially global. People outside of the Metro (Manila, specifically) wish to travel, and to a greater extent, live in the modernist capital because it is widely believed that they’ll find greater pleasures and successes there. In other words, it borders on a “grass is green” idea or immigration issues.

Arguilla makes me want to go visit Nagrebcan and spend one night there.

† Jofer

link: http://joferserapio.wordpress.com/20...me-a-wife-mea/

image hosted on flickr

Old August 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #17
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Pottery Industry, Taboc, San Juan

my photo
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #18
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Poro Point Lighthouse

image hosted on flickr

Photo by: The Point Residencies http://www.flickr.com/photos/thunder...n/photostream/
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #19
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

This La Union town has perfected the art of making ‘basi’

Posted at 11:59 am July 08, 2010

Tags: Beverages, Truly Pinoy Food and Drinks

By Anna Valmero

NAGUILIAN, LA UNION— This town has become synonymous to the local brew basi, a local wine from fermented sugarcane that is said to have been popular among Spanish colonizers who even brought it to Europe centuries ago.

Basi is produced using the dadapilan, a local equipment also used in making muscuvado brown sugar. Sugarcane is crushed and the juice is collected, boiled and fermented in earthen jars. Once the boiled sugarcane juice cools down and stored for fermentation, flavor is added using ground malagkit or glutinous rice and duhat bark.

Blogger and college professor Dr. Abercio V. Rotor says the distinct mellow taste of basi- a mix of sweet and a sour flavors – is attributed to storing it in burnay earthen jars. The jars are kept for years in home cellars or buried underground, and sealed hermetically with hard clay.

The unique taste of basi, which is often compared to fruit liqueur from France, was also a hit among the Spaniards when they colonized the country, declaring a wine monopoly. From 1565 to 1815, basi reached Europe via the Galleon Trade plying Ciudad Fernandina (now Vigan City) and Europe through Acapulco, the tip of Mexico.

This caused a short-lived uprising among Ilocanos, dubbed the Basi Revolt in 1807, according to Rotor. The uprising happened in Vigan but the action took place some four kilometers where the industry flourished—on both sides of the Bantaoay River, which runs through the towns of San Ildefonso and San Vicente, the major suppliers of basi in Vigan’s tourist market. The revolt culminated on September 29, 1907 with the public execution of the captured rebels.

Fourteen big oil paintings depicting the Basi Revolt, also known as Ambaristo Revolt (named after its leader) can be seen today at the Vigan Ayala Museum, which is housed in the original residence of Filipino priest martyr, Father Jose Burgos.

The painter Don Esteban Villanueva was an eyewitness of this historic event. Today, the original basi paintings precariously hang on the houses of a few entrepreneurs who are probably descendants of the heroes of the Basi Revolt of 1807, according to Rotor.

Every May 7, La Union celebrates the Basi Festival to celebrate the drink that has been part of their life, sharing it with the Ilocanos, who helped them in the Basi Revolt.

Basi is drank to celebrate special occasions such as pamamanhikan, an age-old custom wherein a guy and his family meets with his girlfriend’s family to ask for her hand in marriage. During weddings, the couple drink basi and pass the glass to their ninongs and ninangs (sponsors). During burials, the family of the deceased performs a rite as a priest or officiator makes a cross on their foreheads with basi.

With or without specials, Ilocanos are known to drink basi everyday.

Here’s a piece of trivia: La Unión was formed in 1850 when the Spanish Governor-General Antonio Maria Blanco merged the southern towns of Ilocos Sur, the northern towns of Pangasinan, and the western towns of Benguet to the east.

How to get to Naguilian:

A number of bus lines have daily trips to San Fernando City, La Union including Autobus, Maria de Leon and Farinas in Sampaloc, Manila; and Dominion and Genesis in Cubao, Quezon City. Get down Bauang town (just before San Fernando City) and take a local bus going to Naguilian. If you are coming from Baguio, Naguilian is about 40 kilometers away via the Naguilian Highway.

Photos from blogger Crissy and Flickr

link:http://loqal.ph/food-and-beverage/20...f-making-basi/
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #20
hugodiekonig
Hyugo Korol'

Pindangan Ruins, San Fernando City

Photos by: Melo

Source link: http://outoftownblog.com/flow-surfyo...juan-la-union/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement