SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | "High Line Starchitect District" Megathread

44K views 93 replies 31 participants last post by  tallmark 
#1 ·
These little but amazing projects are so scattered in the subforum and some pushed back to whatever high number of page, I figured it would be much more useful to make a thread compiling all of them. "High Line Starchitect District" is of course a nickname I've first seen used by desertpunk, and I think everyone will know what it means.

Here's the ones I remember. If I missed something, let me know and I will add!

512 West 22nd Street

by mrnyc

551 West 21st Street

by towerpower

Soori High Line - 522 West 29th Street

by towerpower

520 West 28th Street

by tectonic

515 West 29th Street

by towerpower

Jardim - 527 West 27th Street

by... uh... uncredited photo, guess it's from 6sqft

500 West 21st Street

by Ghostface

40-56 Tenth Avenue ("Solar Carve")

511-525 West 18th Street

...no renders, no pics...

221 West 29th Street

by...? Hey guys, credit pictures when you post them! :D

Only did the ones below 100m for now, will edit in the highrises later, would be appreciated if someone pointed me to all of them, I only remember the glassy one near HY and the one by BIG!

See less See more
#21 ·
#7 ·
Looking forward to 239 10th ave. It'll cover up the blank walls on the building next to it, replace a gas station and thus restore the streetwall, and it's a decently attractive building in its own right. Interestingly, it's designed by Peter Marino, who's more well known for designing luxury boutiques for houses like LV, Chanel, etc.

#8 ·
508 W. 24th by Cary Tamarkin
514 W. 24th (proposal) by Roman and Williams
505 W. 19th by Thomas Juul Hansen

#26 ·
I really love what they've done, but I think any further development should have to have a height equal to or below the highline, unless it's replacing a building that is already above the highline.

There are great open spaces that I think are important, and it'd be a shame if essentially the whole highline eventually became cavernous.

Also, that Manhattan Mini Storage is in desperate need of a mural (or, in a perfect world, demolition.)

#28 ·
Here's a thread on this actually (going way back):
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1374161

Honestly, much of the west side was a dump. I was somewhat shocked when I moved to NYC in the 00's(I no longer live there unfortunately) at how underdeveloped the west side was. It just seemed like most of the buildings had been left to fall into disrepair, and the only thing still standing were gas stations, storage spaces, and garages. This started to change before the High Line, but the HL has definitely sped it up exponentially.

Here's the meatpacking district in the 90's:
https://untappedcities.com/2013/08/12/vintage-photos-nyc-meatpacking-district-1990s/

Here's some of the same, but also includes Chelsea:
http://www.businessinsider.com/chel...-neighborhood-it-was-still-fairly-desolate-12

#29 ·
It looked thrid worldish back then. From dump wasteland to multiomillionaire neighborhood in such a short time. Reminds me of how much Hells Kitchen has changed over the same time, even Tribeca and Noho and such werent as nice and glitzy back then as they are now. There is this hype about how Dubai has changed dramatically, and yes it did so, and how much development took place in chinese cities, but the very drastic change here gets overlooked, which is sad. I mean, Manhattan changed so much, (even Brooklyn will get 2 supertalls), Harlem is a desired neighborhood and even Inwood is slowly getting small fractions of the gentrification cake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.