1977, 1990, 1993

2x UEFA Super Cup:
1984, 1996

2x FIFA Club World Cup:
1985, 1996

See less See more
2 7
#27 ·
I heard Juventus only sold 21,000 season tickets this season......down from 28,000 last season......why is that so....how come Juve fans don't appreciate the team.....
Do the people in Turin usually support Torino?

"therock" do you have a season ticket?

#28 ·
Len said:
I heard Juventus only sold 21,000 season tickets this season......down from 28,000 last season......why is that so....how come Juve fans don't appreciate the team.....
Do the people in Turin usually support Torino?

"therock" do you have a season ticket?

I do not know truly what to answer to this question, but however there is still time in order to recover.
In Turin the Juventus fans are more numerous who the Toro fans (10.000 season ticket).

Yeah, i have i season ticket in " curva nord"!!!!! :)

#34 ·
18,089 at Juventus last night for the first ever fixture against Bayern Munich, and someone thought that 41,000 for the new ground was too small for this club. Don't really understand the situation regarding crowds in Turin but my club got higher crowds than this in the English 4th division.

#36 ·
poller1 said:
Juve sometimes gets crowds of 60-70.000 ;
what are the highest crowds of your English 4th Division Club???
He's probably referring to Hull City, which had an average attendance of 16,847 and a highest attendance of 23,495 last season.

All 92 clubs in the English leagues would probably get a sell out crowd for a competitive game against Bayern Munich. In fact I suspect that the vast majority of them would get a sell out crowd for a friendly against Bayern Munich.

#38 ·
poller1 said:
Juve sometimes gets crowds of 60-70.000 ;
what are the highest crowds of your English 4th Division Club???
My original comment was not supposed to start a slanging match. I am merely interested why Juventus has such poor attendance figures, and why they seem to be getting worse and worse despite the performance of the team. Average in Serie A this year is 26211 with Juventus top of the division.

I also wasn't saying my teams attendances were better than Juve's, they aren't. But Juve's are poor compared to much "smaller" clubs across Italy and Europe. I am merely interested why ..... anyone know any clubs in a similar situation?

and since you asked .....

You are right when you say Juventus "sometimes" get crowds of 60-70000, but it hasn't happened once in Serie A since 2001/2.

In which case Hull city "sometimes" get crowds of 50-60000 like they did vs Manchester United on 26/02/1949 when 55019 poeple watched the game at Boothferry park. ;)

#39 ·
Philip Cronin said:
He's probably referring to Hull City, which had an average attendance of 16,847 and a highest attendance of 23,495 last season.

All 92 clubs in the English leagues would probably get a sell out crowd for a competitive game against Bayern Munich. In fact I suspect that the vast majority of them would get a sell out crowd for a friendly against Bayern Munich.

Surprisingly enough, in terms of total crowds, Both the Premiership (13.5M) and The Championship (8.8M) (the division formerly known as Division One and perviously known as Division Two) got higher crowds than Serie A last season.

#41 · (Edited)
Iain1974 said:
Surprisingly enough, in terms of total crowds, Both the Premiership (13.5M) and The Championship (8.8M) (the division formerly known as Division One and perviously known as Division Two) got higher crowds than Serie A last season.
but why is this surprising?
I have never understood this idea that crowds are big in Italy or southern europe in general. They are not.
English and german crowds are much higher and kept down by restricted capacities.

Italy need to look at their poor facilities and hooligan problems. It doesnt seem to be taken seriously.
The promotion of a few clubs with good crowds hides the fact that most clubs seem to continue to lose crowds making one wonder if the second level of english football will overtake Italy´s top league for crowds in the near future.

Juventus is particularly remarkable. just 18,000 against Bayern is simply astonishing.
Hopefully things will improve with the new stadium which looks great

#43 ·
have you considerd that people in Italy can have something better to do than go to the stadium?

anyway, the 3 cities with high average for all the matches are Milano, Napoli and Roma.
normally Inter, Milan, Napoli and Roma have an average higher than 55.000 people for all the Serie A. (all 3 are cities with population between 3.500.000 to 7.500.000)
Milan and Inter normally have 10/12 matches every year with more than 80.000 people (League+Cups).
Napoli, that today is in the Serie C1 (our third division) had 70.000 people at San Paolo stadium las week! third division!!!!

Torino is not a stadium-friendly city.
the Delle Apli stadium is one of the worst in Europe to see a football match.
(for that reason it will be rebuilt next year), is not well linked by bus or tram with the rest of the city (it's in the suburbs), and there is not subway in Turin.

in the last years also the southern Italian city (Palermo, Catania, Lecce...) have high average, with more than 40.000 people per match.

but is sure...we haven't high average as in England or Scotland.
for more reasons:
in the last years only Milan, Inter, Lazio, Juve and Roma were in Serie A.
other great teams of the big cities were in Serie B or C1:
Fiorentina, Palermo, Catania, Cagliari, Venezia, Genova, Sampdoria, Triestina, Taranto, Pescara, Hellas Verona, Padova, Bari, Salernitana...all that teams are located in cities with a populatione between 300.000 tO 1.200.000 people...and all are in Serie B or C1, or C2!
we have in Serie A the Chievo that have 6.000 people!
Atalanta Bergamo 110.000 people!
Brescia 190.000, Reggina 180.000, Siena, 50.000, Lecce 83.000....

We have other sports as Basketball, Volley, Ice Hockey that have good average.
and don't forget that from April to October a grat number of the people of the big cities of all Italy do weekends away from home, on the lake, on the sea, on the mountains.
the same during the winter season for north Italy, here ski is very diffused and holiday houses are very common on the Alps. (i go the most part of the winter w.e. on the Alps to skiing!)
in North Italy, except few people we haven't a Love Supreme for a Football Team!
personally i'm a Inter fan, but i went at stadium only 1 or 2 times each years, to watch only good matches as Inter-Milan or Inter-Juve or some good matche of Champions Cup (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Ajax, Porto...).
and if the team did a bad season...i don't go to stadium to watch boring matches!!

for the most part of Italians football is only a sport...not a religion, and the stadium is not a Church!

#44 ·
kingdomca said:
but why is this surprising?
I have never understood this idea that crowds are big in Italy or southern europe in general. They are not.
English and german crowds are much higher and kept down by restricted capacities.

Italy need to look at their poor facilities and hooligan problems. It doesnt seem to be taken seriously.
The promotion of a few clubs with good crowds hides the fact that most clubs seem to continue to lose crowds making one wonder if the second level of english football will overtake Italy´s top league for crowds in the near future.
It's surprising because there are a number of Italian teams (and Juventus are definately one) that really warrent better support.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Some interesting information in his site.

#45 ·
gruber said:
have you considerd that people in Italy can have something better to do than go to the stadium? ......................
Cheers for the response, glad someone took the time to explain things, I think on the whole Italy's crowds are pretty good but it was nice that someone in the know, took the time to explain the Juve discrepancy. Looks like they may well finally get the crowds they deserve when they move to the new ground.

Can anyone tell me anything about the location of the new ground, i'm a big fan of inner-city venues which i think is much more preferable than the recent trend for out of town placements.

#47 · (Edited)
the next Juve stadium will be in the exactly same place.
the Delle Alpi wil be partial destroyed, then rebuilt, with facilities, the footbal ground in North-south direction (today is West-East), no atlethic field. around the stadium will be built the Juve City, with Hotels, restaurants, Museum...
i think that the work will be long 1 year and half, and Juve will paly in the old Comunale Stadium near to the city centre (today is the training field of the team and is under renovation for the olympic games of 2006 for the Ceremonies).
in Torino there's also a third stadium, the oldest one: the Filadelfia.
it was for many decades the home of the Torino F.C. where they won 7 Italian Championship.
the true name of that stadium is Campo Torino, but all called it Filadelfia (is the adress).
it was built in the 1926 by the owner of Torino F.C., Enrico Cinzano, and the Torino F.C. played in from 1926 to 1963.
official capacity - 15.000
unofficial capacity - more than 40.000
from the 1963 to the beginnings of the 80's the Filadelfia was the training field of Torino F.C., then was compleltely abandoned and the mosta parte of the structure collapsed himself.
from few monthso the Torino F.C. became another time Filadelfia owner.
today there's a project to rebuilt the stadium (15.000 all seats) with facilities.

in Italy the most part of the stadiums are in the city centre or very close.
this 'cause the most part of the big stadiums in the big cities were built during the Fascism in the 20's and the 30's when the city were more small than today.
in Milano, San Siro were built far away from the city centre...in the mid 20's!
the Milan owner that built the stadium choose a great area 9 km east of the city centre, where with the Municiaplity built the San Siro stadium, the 3 Hippodrome Stadiums the Lido swimming pool (that for more than 40 years was the world greatest one) and other facilities. at that time the area was part of the green circle that rounded Milano.
today is one of the nearest neighborhood to the city centre! only 10 subway stations from Duomo square (the geographical city centre).

same thing in Bologna, Firenza, Genova, Parma...

only stadiums in Roma, Napoli, Bari, Torino are far from city centre, cause all were built between the 50's to the 90's.

i think that the most Inner city stadium in Italy is the Como one.
Como is on the omonimous Lake, and the city centre is along the banks. exactly in front of the lake and in front of the princiapal square of the city there is the Sinigaglia Stadium (11.000)

today a good number of the most important stadium of Italy are or will be under renovation, cause Italy is a candidate for Euro 2012 and at today only the San Siro Stadium in Milano have all Uefa criteria for European Championship.
for Euro 2012 will have at minimum 6 stadiums with Uefa criterias.

San Siro is Ok
Delle Alpi will be rebuilt.
Olimpico in Roma have big problems
San Paolo in Napoli have enormous problems.
Palermo Stadium is too much small
Bologna stadium is one of the oldest and have any criteria.
Bari Stadium is wonderful and recently.
Venezia stadium is ridicolous.

...will have great problems!