Metro Cebu Expressway - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Highways and Roadways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2019, 04:32 AM   #261
Parchie

Likes (Received): 2674

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Geez, Nobody even uses the term subway in every day convo in Cebu. Its too trying-hard-to-sound-foreign and technical. Its DPWH's term, by the way.

We call it the SRP Tunnel.
Ug wa sa ila, haruson na lang ug ingon nga wa sad sa ato kay kuno dili mao ang terminology! Hehehehe! What a crab!
The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all: it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.

- H.L. Mencken
Parchie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2019, 04:49 AM   #262
cyberCEBU
Dislikes Received: 0

Likes (Received): 1341

pinamay ra to iyaha.... murag nasaag ra diri based sa iyang user statistics sa bicol region siya nag post permi... gipul-an na tingali siya didto

CEBU
- an island in the pacific...
cyberCEBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 02:18 AM   #263
I<3dPh

Likes (Received): 1234

mingaw sa ilaha?
Old November 19th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #264
Lukesky301

Likes (Received): 48

The terms subway and tunnel picque my curiosity so I did my own GMG using the search terms <city> subway or <city> tunnel.

The first general result is that subways are named for railway rapid transit systems in the city, eg. New York Subway, BART for the Bay Area region in California, Hongkong MRT. So subway most often refers to train systems which has an underground component.

For tunnels, the general use is for underground vehicular road, e.g. Lincoln and Holland Tunnel in New York, Cross-Harbour Tunnel in Hong Kong, Broadway Tunnel in San Francisco, Kallang-Paya Lebar Road Tunnel in Singapore, etc.

The UK-centric based road systems do not use the term subway for underground roads. They use Metro or Underground. Subway to them is an underground passage for pedestrian traffic, which is underpass for us Pinoys.

If we are to follow the US-centric road naming convention then, the SRP Tunnel is the appropriate name. But if Cebuanos want to name it subway, they can use it any way they like. But the caveat is, the naming will be odd, compared to the rest of the major international cities, who built, named and used their road system a long , long time before us.

Last edited by Lukesky301; November 19th, 2019 at 08:33 PM.
Lukesky301 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 04:51 AM   #265
tempaccount2

Likes (Received): 20

Subway or Tunnel,.. means the same to me..

Its like the difference between US English vs UK English...
Freeway (US) Motorway (UK), Parking Lot (US) or Car Park (UK), Gas (US) or Petrol (UK), Truck (US) or Lorry (UK), Apartments (US) or Flats (UK), Elevator (US) or Lift (UK), Torch or Flashlight, Cab or Taxi, Tele or TV, Pants or Trousers,... so on.. lets move on.
Advertisement