Newcastle and the North East RETAIL - City Centre, MetroCentre, Suburban Shopping, Out of Town Retail Parks, etc - Page 566 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old November 12th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #11301
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

intu Eldon Square - Eldon Way

The former Thornton's store on Eldon Way, intu Eldon Square was last month used as a pop up shop for all things Halloween. Couple of snaps to record its use.

Past by yesterday and its now a Calendar pop up shop.

http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...ld%20and%20New

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2019, 02:27 PM   #11302
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

63-65 Northumberland Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
I see Vodafone are using their closure as an advertising opportunity, photographed yesterday, 20th September 2018.

© https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/
The ever changing face of Northumberland Street.

Now occupied by ManKind - these snaps taken 30th October 2019.

http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...rland%20Street

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Newcastle Historian liked this post
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #11303
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1217

Glug closed.

Sadly not a surprise, never seemed to work after it left the market. Big increase in costs and that end of Grainger st always seems 'tough'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...-glug-17267786
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 11:55 PM   #11304
ne14ne1

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Glug closed.

Sadly not a surprise, never seemed to work after it left the market. Big increase in costs and that end of Grainger st always seems 'tough'

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...-glug-17267786
In the Chronicle article the owners are quoted saying "along with falling city centre footfall, possible future congestion charges and a massively expanded Christmas Market, means that the numbers now simply don't add up".

A possible future congestion charge? If they're referring to the propossed clean air zone it doesn't sound like that's going to include charging private cars, so not sure what to make of that.

Also, hasn't the massively expanded Christmas market only just opened this weekend? It could have increased their footfall.
I don't know if it's advertised out of the area, but hopefully the new Christmas offer will start to attract additional visitors from other cities, just like Edinburgh, York & Manchester's xmas markets attracts us to visit their cities.
ne14ne1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 11:50 AM   #11305
DemoManz

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14ne1 View Post
Also, hasn't the massively expanded Christmas market only just opened this weekend? It could have increased their footfall.
cities.
I think they're just clutching at straws. They were always in the Chron moaning about the Council when they were in the Grainger Market proper. Seems more likely that they just have 100%+ more competition now. Supermarkets sell craft beer (and some 'psuedo' craft beer), Fenwicks has a massive craft beer section, I think there is even a store in Stack now too.

ne14ne1, elliott, growly grace, JoeColl liked this post
DemoManz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 02:06 PM   #11306
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14ne1 View Post
In the Chronicle article the owners are quoted saying "along with falling city centre footfall, possible future congestion charges and a massively expanded Christmas Market, means that the numbers now simply don't add up".

A possible future congestion charge? If they're referring to the propossed clean air zone it doesn't sound like that's going to include charging private cars, so not sure what to make of that.

I don't know if it's advertised out of the area, but hopefully the new Christmas offer will start to attract additional visitors from other cities, just like Edinburgh, York & Manchester's xmas markets attracts us to visit their cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoManz View Post
I think they're just clutching at straws. They were always in the Chron moaning about the Council when they were in the Grainger Market proper. Seems more likely that they just have 100%+ more competition now. Supermarkets sell craft beer (and some 'psuedo' craft beer), Fenwicks has a massive craft beer section, I think there is even a store in Stack now too.
Off topic and in the main I agree, probably just some bad business decisions, increased competition and finding someone else to blame.

I'm not convinced that the market would help them. The city centre was [email protected]@dy awful yesterday and it seems to have made Northumberland street rammed, unpleasant and a pickpockets' paradise.

Wooler57 liked this post
Old November 17th, 2019, 02:38 PM   #11307
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

Yeah, theyíre simply isnít enough room on Northumberland Street for it, especially at Christmas time. I was down there at 5pm yesterday battling to walk down the street. The same can be said for Grainger Street between Monument and the Grainger market. There is not enough space. They had Blackett Street blocked off yesterday, now thatís where the stalls should have been.

As for Mmm Glug. I used to go in when I passed. I used to get some Fentimans but they stopped selling it as apparently it cost them more to buy them you could buy it in the supermarket.
If it was costing them £100k a year just to keep the shop, then they should really have tried to find an alternative location, Ridley place is reasonably cheap and gets a decent amount of footfall. I donít get the impression that it was a lack of sales, just more in this case of too much rent, and the taxes to go with it.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #11308
The Mole

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post

As for Mmm Glug. I used to go in when I passed. I used to get some Fentimans but they stopped selling it as apparently it cost them more to buy them you could buy it in the supermarket.
If it was costing them £100k a year just to keep the shop, then they should really have tried to find an alternative location, Ridley place is reasonably cheap and gets a decent amount of footfall. I don’t get the impression that it was a lack of sales, just more in this case of too much rent, and the taxes to go with it.
I Use to go in for the cordial mainly the irn bru. About a year ago they had always just sold out and more stock was due in t id go back and nothing. This happened a few times and I've not been able to get it since. At that point I started to notice the selection of products reduce and I got the feeling this place is in trouble. At least they didn't blame Brexit which seems to be a goto for failed retailers.
The Mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2019, 05:42 PM   #11309
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Snow and Rock

Snow and Rock has now opened in the Northumberland St Cotswold Camping store. They both share the same parent co and both ended up in a fairly hairy CVA last year.

I suspect this might put the Gateshead property on the back foot unless the Northumberland Street one lacks 'workshop' space.
Gateshead Snow and Rock now closed and being stripped out, looks to be pretty much emptied.
Old January 23rd, 2020, 09:24 PM   #11310
Googleboogle

Likes (Received): 1

If snow and rock next to the metro center is anything like the hungry horse next door it will leak loads. And have iffy drains
Googleboogle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2020, 10:15 PM   #11311
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleboogle View Post
If snow and rock next to the metro center is anything like the hungry horse next door it will leak loads. And have iffy drains

I have a good idea, they could knock those two premises into one, and open a Harry Ramsden's there !!!

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 04:24 PM   #11312
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4060

Moderno Furniture, 616 / 620 Durham Rd, Low Fell, Gateshead, closing - information & pictures 21/01/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Pictures by myself from Tuesday 26/06/18 approx 1045 showing Moderno Furniture, 616 / 620 Durham Rd, Low Fell, Gateshead, near junction with top of Earls Drive, in a recent refurbishment of shop fronts etc

On checking their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/pg/ModernoFurnitureno1/posts/ the new independent furniture outlet opened 1st June 2018 following them being located at Durham and more recently on the Team Valley

As the block of shops looked in May 2017 - scanned copy of Google Maps Street View image

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Picture by myself from Tuesday 21/01/20 approx 1015 showing Moderno Furniture, 616 / 620 Durham Rd, Low Fell, Gateshead, near junction with top of Earls Drive

At time and looking across the road looked "to be empty"

After a Google search this from their Facebook site, posted on 23/01/20, https://www.facebook.com/pg/ModernoFurnitureno1/posts/

EXTRACT

Hi folks, could you take a few seconds to help me please?

You may have seen local, small business asking for your help lately and this is largely down to how Facebook / Instagram are hampering you seeing our content unless we pay for advertising and itís very hard for small businesses to constantly do this.

Sadly....... Iím one of the casualties, that have lost my business of many many years due to the increasing battle against the internet, so please could I ask you to help me clear my stocks by:

Going to my page and go along the top tabs to ĎCOMMUNITYí
*Click INVITE FRIENDS
*Click SELECT ALL
*Click SEND INVITATIONS

Itís as quick and as simple as that! It will take less than 30 seconds and be a BIG help and will mean more people will see my posts.

Another independent retailer closes unable to compete things bought via the web

Image hosted on Post Image site

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2020, 11:00 PM   #11313
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4060

Rooftop Car Par park, Intu Eldon Square Shopping Centre, Percy Street, Newcastle, solar panels - Planning Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
On NCC Planning Portal approval of planning application for large scale scheme for solar panels to roof area of Intu Eldon Square, Newcastle

EXTRACT

19/00137/NPV

Notification for Prior Approval for the installation of photovoltaic panels on roof

Roof Of Intu Eldon Square Shopping Centre Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7JB

Decision - Grant

Decision Issued Date - Tue 05 Nov 2019

https://publicaccessapplications.new...iveTab=summary

KEN
On NCC Planning Portal approval of another planning application for scheme for solar panels to roof area of Intu Eldon Square, Newcastle

EXTRACT

2019/1436/01/DET

Installation of photovoltaic solar panels and associated structures to roof on south side of car park

Rooftop Car Park Eldon Square Newcastle upon Tyne

Application Validated - Wed 23 Oct 2019

Decision - Grant Conditionally

Decision Issued Date - Thu 23 Jan 2020

https://publicaccessapplications.new...iveTab=summary

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 09:44 PM   #11314
robga
R0bga

Likes (Received): 3

It is rare that I have to park on the roof section of Eldon Square, given I avoid on Saturdays and arrive shortly before free parking begins at 5pm, but this 'Canopy' and it's supports won't be reducing the number of parking spaces, will it?
robga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high street, high streets, newcastle, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, shop, shopping, shops, suburbs, temporary thread