Sunderland and Durham Area - RETAIL - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Sunderland and Durham

Sunderland and Durham For Sunderland, Washington, County Durham

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #121
denm

Likes (Received): 2781

Will be a shame if this Market does close, ----this from the Echo, ---

Time nearly up for market

Southwick Market

Published Date:
12 August 2010
By Marissa Carruthers & Crystal Booth
A once-vibrant Sunderland market is facing the axe.
Southwick Market has just two weeks to transform its fortunes or risk closure for good.

Leaseholder John Morris told the Echo he has watched the market's fortunes slowly deteriorate since he took over five years ago.

Now he has been given a 14-day deadline to sort out finances before the shutters are brought down.

John, 34, has vowed to keep fighting for his livelihood and the place where he has worked since he was 17.

He said: "I will fight and fight to keep it going but to me it looks like it's going to be closure. When I've worked for myself for five years and worked here since I was 17, this is all I really know.

"I'm a 34-year-old man and I'm back at my mam's house. For all the work I've put in, I should have a nice house, decent car and I should be able to support my family."

John, who also owns the fruiterers, deli and sports shop at the 20-year-old market, has been struggling to make ends meet and stump up the monthly £700 rates, plus the rent and cash for bills.

Now, he faces court action after falling behind with his payments to Sunderland City Council. I've fallen behind on my rates before and managed to catch up, but I don't know what I can do now."

John said there are a number of reasons behind the decline in the market, including changes to housing, people shopping at big supermarkets and the general deterioration of the area.

"I love this market. It used to be really busy and it would be a really sad day if it was to close. It doesn't help that the public don't really support it."

Neil Wright, who owns the market, said: "John has put his heart and soul into the market and has worked really hard to try and keep it going.

"Ultimately, if this does not work out and I can't find anybody else, I will have to knock it down, as it can't be left standing empty for vandals."

Shopper Lee Holmes, 32, of Southwick, said: "They should keep it open really. I go in for veg and that. It saves me going into town for bits and bobs."

Ellen Johnston, 77, of Red House, said: "I don't use it. I get my fruit and veg brought for me so I don't have to carry it so I don't really need the market now."

Page 1 of 1
denm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM   #122
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Three more retailers join rush to Bridges
September 1st 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THE Bridges shopping centre in Sunderland has announced three new deals with retailers as interest in Land Securities’ mall appears to be staying strong.

Clothing retailer Bank, which stocks designer brands such as Paul’s Boutique, Lipsy, Superdry and Henleys, will open a 3,350sq ft unit on Market Square Mall on a 10-year lease.

JD Sports Fashion, with more than 400 stores across the UK, has agreed a 10-year lease and an upsize to a new 6,700sq ft unit alongside Bank. Both retailers look set to launch in autumn this year.

Clothing chain Internacionale will also be opening the doors of a new outlet in the centre this month on Crowtree Mail after signing a five-year deal on a 3,300sq ft unit.

The new deals follow quickly on from last month’s new arrivals, Disney and Blue Inc.

In total more than 26,000sq ft of retail space has been let this year bringing more than 100 new jobs to the region.

Jonathan Buckle, Bridges portfolio manager, said: “The new deals are coming thick and fast this year which is phenomenal news for shoppers in Sunderland.

“This trio of new deals follows hot on the heels also of Starbucks, Schuh and Pandora – all leading retailers which have proven to be great assets to our portfolio, as well as heightening our customer experience and providing a boost to the local economy.”

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-27174473/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM   #123
YorkshireMackem

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Three more retailers join rush to Bridges
September 1st 2010, by Peter McCusker, The Journal

THE Bridges shopping centre in Sunderland has announced three new deals with retailers as interest in Land Securities’ mall appears to be staying strong.

Clothing retailer Bank, which stocks designer brands such as Paul’s Boutique, Lipsy, Superdry and Henleys, will open a 3,350sq ft unit on Market Square Mall on a 10-year lease.

JD Sports Fashion, with more than 400 stores across the UK, has agreed a 10-year lease and an upsize to a new 6,700sq ft unit alongside Bank. Both retailers look set to launch in autumn this year.

Clothing chain Internacionale will also be opening the doors of a new outlet in the centre this month on Crowtree Mail after signing a five-year deal on a 3,300sq ft unit.

The new deals follow quickly on from last month’s new arrivals, Disney and Blue Inc.

In total more than 26,000sq ft of retail space has been let this year bringing more than 100 new jobs to the region.

Jonathan Buckle, Bridges portfolio manager, said: “The new deals are coming thick and fast this year which is phenomenal news for shoppers in Sunderland.

“This trio of new deals follows hot on the heels also of Starbucks, Schuh and Pandora – all leading retailers which have proven to be great assets to our portfolio, as well as heightening our customer experience and providing a boost to the local economy.”

ARTICLE HERE - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-27174473/
This is all great news.

I didn't know that Disney had opened a shop in the Bridges - this is excellent. Also, Bank is quite a well regarded chain.

From what I hear, the Holmeside development has stalled completely and the proposed new developer has backed off. The owners of ' The Point' (former ABC Cinema) have made it clear that they don't intend to sell, which I believe has scared off the proposed developer as it would prevent a scheme which fits into the development framework from being carried out.

Anyway, my point is that since the Holmeside development will not happen in the near future, could this offer encouragement for Land Securities (the owners of the Bridges) to proceed with their plans to extend the shopping centre into the City Council owned Crowtree Leisure Centre land, as proposed in the past.

This would certainly be beneficial in removing the eyesore that is Crowtree (as much as I have a lot of affection for the place) and in creating the mass of retail development that was previously proposed for Holmeside. It would also be hugely beneficial in linking the historic areas around the Minster/Empire Theatre/Low Row to the retail core.
YorkshireMackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM   #124
denm

Very good news regarding the new Retailers in the Bridges, ------as for the Holmeside Development, ---YM, --do you know if a revised plan for that area is in the offing, ---or have you not heard anymore about this, -----and regarding expanding the Bridges, ---I believe that land securities were given first refusal for the Leisure Centre, --but turned the option down.
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM   #125
horokeio

Likes (Received): 113

I was checking in to report these recent retail developments but I've been beaten to it! I was especially pleased to see that Bank had taken a unit (next to the relocated JD store). From my reckoning, this means only the old travel agents (versus Topshop), the perenially-empty unit next to H Samuel near the entrance to the market hall, the old Linen Mills shop next to Tesco and the Barretts shoe shop on the corner opposite HMV. Of course, the relocation of JD will leave a unit further up the mall empty, meaning a total of five (out of about 90). Furthermore, I noticed the Barretts site had boards up and a Schuh advert on the side - does this suggest that Schuh is moving to larger premises, or was it just an advert?

Elsewhere in the city centre, a brand new barbers is opening inside Park Lane Metro station, near the ticket machines. Also, Collinsons jewellers has expanded and taken over the old Milligans store, opposite TK Maxx/Debenhams.
horokeio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:18 PM   #126
YorkshireMackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm View Post

Very good news regarding the new Retailers in the Bridges, ------as for the Holmeside Development, ---YM, --do you know if a revised plan for that area is in the offing, ---or have you not heard anymore about this, -----and regarding expanding the Bridges, ---I believe that land securities were given first refusal for the Leisure Centre, --but turned the option down.
You could be right mate, im not too clued up on the situation with Crowtree and Land Securities but as far as I know this is the case:

When Thornfield (the original Holmeside developer who have now gone bust) formed the development agreement with One North East (who now own 75% of the land), it was agreed that the City Council would not be allowed to release the Crowtree land to Land Securities for further development of the Bridges, in case it provided adverse competition for the Holmeside scheme.

Since the development agreement, as I have now discovered, was never actually signed, this stipulation is now void.

I would be surprised if Land Securities did not pounce on the opportunity left by the dormant Holmeside scheme. I read in Property Week magazine, in an interview with Dave Smith (Sunderland City Council CEO) that until the economic downturn the City Council were ready to progress the Bridges expansion scheme, only to be hit by the economic crisis. This resulted in the City Council being able to allow the exclusivity agreement with Thornfield, given that the Bridges expansion was not likely to happen in the near future. However, it looks like things are on the up in terms of retail, and given the situation on the Holmeside scheme, I would expect some movement from Land Securities in some shape or form.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #127
denm

Would be great if something happened with this, ----suppose it's just another case of wait and see, cheers.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM   #128
architect1976
Architect

Likes (Received): 269

£15m expansion of the Bridges shopping centre

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/l...sion_1_1609783

Quote:
Published on Thu Sep 23 14:23:41 BST 2010

A NEW £15million development in Sunderland city centre looks set to create more than 150 jobs.

Land Securities, owner of the Bridges shopping centre, has announced its intentions to build a three-story, 60,000 sq ft Primark store at the High Street West and Walworth Way entrance to the retail space.

Plans will be submitted for consultation next month and the company is hoping work on the expansion will begin in 2011.

Jonathan Buckle, portfolio manager for the Bridges, said he was delighted to be bringing good news to Sunderland.

Speaking to the Echo he said: “This is a significant investment programme which demonstrates Land Securities’ commitment and confidence in Sunderland.

“Our objectives are to enhance the shopping experience we provide for the 21million customers who visit the centre each year by ensuring more of their favourite high street fashion brands are located within the Bridges and to enhance the centre’s reputation as one of the best shopping and fashion destinations in the North East.

“Primark has outgrown its existing store, located on Fawcett Street, and is very keen to remain in the city.

“The Bridges is fast becoming a fashion hub and with the likes of Bank, H&M, New Look, Top Shop, River Island and Schuh already part of the retail offer, we are confident that this is the right location for the brand new Primark store.”

The swathing cuts in the public sector set to be announced next month mean that the announcement of growth and investment in the city centre has been warmly received throughout the area.

Gary Hutchinson, chairman of the Sunderland committee of the North East Chamber of Commerce (NECC) said the news was all the better, given the financial climate of the region.

He said: “This is excellent news for Sunderland.

“A wider choice of retail outlets in the city will lead to an increase in the number of people shopping in Sunderland.

“This, in turn, will boost our local economy and give us a platform on which we can further develop the city as a whole. The city centre has been recognised as a key area in need of support and the NECC will do just that.

“By working with the city council and other key partners we aim to continue to help our city centre to reach its full potential.

“In the meantime, I would urge the people of Sunderland to continue to give their backing to our local stores. Please utilise the services we have on our doorstep and shop locally wherever possible.”

The plans for the development are on show and people are invited to view them and to meet the project team between 10am and 6pm today and between 9am and 5pm tomorrow at the Central Square.
Good news.
architect1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #129
YorkshireMackem

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect1976 View Post
Its great news!

Not only is it investment in new development and improving the quality of the shopping experience, but it also frees up the large Primark unit on Fawcett Street for another large retailer.

Most big retailers are looking for big premises at the moment, so I can see a decent retailer going into this unit quite quickly.

Hopefully it'll encourage more investment in High Street West, as the rest of it is looking pretty run down.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #130
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireMackem View Post
Its great news!

Not only is it investment in new development and improving the quality of the shopping experience, but it also frees up the large Primark unit on Fawcett Street for another large retailer.

Most big retailers are looking for big premises at the moment, so I can see a decent retailer going into this unit quite quickly.

Hopefully it'll encourage more investment in High Street West, as the rest of it is looking pretty run down.
They need to bulldoze the derelict buildings, it really does look a mess at the moment. It has the potential to widen the street scene within the city centre but people just don't want to go there in it's current state.

Would you want to live/work next door to this??

Old September 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #131
YorkshireMackem

Quote:
They need to bulldoze the derelict buildings, it really does look a mess at the moment. It has the potential to widen the street scene within the city centre but people just don't want to go there in it's current state.

Yeah, I agree. Sunderland has a much larger city centre than is actually used. The extent of High St, as well as the streets to the east of Sunniside have some decent buildings (in between really crap ones), and should form an integral part of the city centre.

The problem with demolitions is that they can be hard to push through. I am involved with a couple of buildings in Gloucester that we want to demolish, but planning policy states that demolition has to be justified against any possible alternative uses for the buildings. The buildings are crap, but its taking months to prove that they are unmarketable and unusable before we can get demolitions consent.
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #132
denm

Quote:

I agree there are some buildings that need to be Demolished, --and the one pictured is a prime example, -----btw, is the building the old Liverpool House?, --if so, --I thought there were plans to Demolish it as plans for a Hotel and apartments.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #133
denm

Quote:

I think this is excellent news for the City Centre, ---especially in today's economic climate, ---as for the proposed area of the Development, --I have always thought that this entrance/area of the Bridges could have been utilised much better, --so it's pleasing that this Development will improve the part of the Bridges,-----the only concern for me is the building in Fawcett Street, ---lets hope another Retailer will move in when Primark vacate the premises, ---we don't want that large building being left empty for long.
Old September 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #134
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
I agree there are some buildings that need to be Demolished, --and the one pictured is a prime example, -----btw, is the building the old Liverpool House?, --if so, --I thought there were plans to Demolish it as plans for a Hotel and apartments.
I know there was, I worked on them. But the developer pulled out due to the council refusing to let them go 1 storey higher than was previously proposed, but that was about 3 years ago now.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #135
architect1976
Architect

A couple of pics to add.

PROPOSED SITE PLAN

PROPOSED ENTRANCE VIEW

CURRENT ENTRANCE VIEW.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #136
YorkshireMackem

Quote:
I know there was, I worked on them. But the developer pulled out due to the council refusing to let them go 1 storey higher than was previously proposed, but that was about 3 years ago now.
I thought it was this one:

Old September 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #137
architect1976
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireMackem View Post
I thought it was this one:

Nope the one I worked on was red brick and had a curved roof with dormers built in. Shame really, would have been canny.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #138
Le Chuck

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I don't know if this has been said or if it's common knowledge, but Modelzone is opening up in the bridges.
This is going to be inbetween carphonewarehouse & Esquire coffee
Le Chuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #139
denm

This is excellent news, ----from the Echo, ----

Hundreds of jobs in storeSponsored by Lumley Castle

Published on Wed Oct 06 12:45:39 BST 2010

TWO new superstores could create up to 1,300 jobs for Sunderland, and free the Vaux site for development.

Sainsbury’s today revealed plans for a new store and petrol station on the Jennings car showroom site in Riverside Road, Southwick – bringing 500 much-needed jobs to Wearside’s recession-weary economy.

It came as councillors approved Tesco’s application for a major outlet on the run-down Sunderland Retail Park, in Roker, creating 800 jobs.

That scheme is expected to end the long-running dispute over the Vaux site, as Tesco has agreed in principle to sell it to Sunderland Council for development.

Email to a friend Print this page
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #140
YorkshireMackem

Quote:
This is excellent news, ----from the Echo, ----

Hundreds of jobs in storeSponsored by Lumley Castle

Published on Wed Oct 06 12:45:39 BST 2010

TWO new superstores could create up to 1,300 jobs for Sunderland, and free the Vaux site for development.

Sainsbury’s today revealed plans for a new store and petrol station on the Jennings car showroom site in Riverside Road, Southwick – bringing 500 much-needed jobs to Wearside’s recession-weary economy.

It came as councillors approved Tesco’s application for a major outlet on the run-down Sunderland Retail Park, in Roker, creating 800 jobs.

That scheme is expected to end the long-running dispute over the Vaux site, as Tesco has agreed in principle to sell it to Sunderland Council for development.

Email to a friend Print this page
Too right mate. Its excellent news, in fact its better than excellent.

Not only is it creating a huge number of jobs for local residents when jobs are hard to come by, its regenerating a derelict retail park on a key approach to the city centre and its providing significantly more retail offer for the north side of the city.

Most importantly, though, its going to free up the Vaux site for development. The Vaux site really has the ability to transform the city centre and the economic fortunes of the city as a whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
north east england, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping