ART DECO .: Malaysia :. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #21
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by baqthier
Sunway Pyramid - Subang Jaya - 1997

Pic from Webshots
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96478930iesBqI

Eh...Baq....Sunway Pyramid isn't Art Deco lah!

Although Art Deco are based on Egyptian design but Sunway Pyramid doesn't have the 'streamlined' characteristics of art deco which is very important. The mall is a 'direct copy' of the Egyptian design
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #22
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Old Indoor Stadium - Kuala Lumpur - year unknown

This is Chin Woo Stadium.....forgot when izzit built (I think the 40s or 50s)
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #23
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 15

Bukit Bintang - Kuala Lumpur - 1940's

baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #24
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 29

i forgot i have this pic in my hard disk

Standard Chartered Building

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #25
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Excellent TYW! I love the design! I think HSBC is also Art Deco. You have ah?
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #26
TYW

Quote:
Excellent TYW! I love the design! I think HSBC is also Art Deco. You have ah?

i don't have it. i think pablo does

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #27
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 118

oh glorious! how nice to see more examples of Art Deco here!

My favourites are Lee Rubber and those shophouses. That mosque in Klang is also very classy looking, like Parkview Square.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #28
ZaHiRnYa???
you are you and i am me..

Likes (Received): 50

Errr....can someone explain to me in a simply explanation...what does 'art deco' mean

Thank you.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:48 AM   #29
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
i forgot i have this pic in my hard disk

Standard Chartered Building

This is Neo-Classical not Art Deco.......
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #30
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaHiRnYa???
Errr....can someone explain to me in a simply explanation...what does 'art deco' mean

Thank you.

Art Deco

Timeline

The period termed "art deco" manifested itself roughly between the two world wars, or 1920 to 1939. Many actually stretch this period back to 1900 and even as far as the late 1950's, but work of this time is generally considered to be more of an influence to the Art Deco style, or having been influenced by the style. As with many other art movements, even work of today is still being influenced by the past.

This period of design and style did not just affect architecture, but all of the fine and applied arts as well. Furniture, sculpture, clothing, jewelry and graphic design were all influenced by the Art Deco style.

Common themes

So what distinguishes this style from all of the rest? Basically it was a "modernization" of many artistic styles and themes from the past. You can easily detect in many examples of Art Deco the influence of Far and Middle Eastern design, Greek and Roman themes, and even Egyptian and Mayan influence. Modern elements included echoing machine and automobile patterns and shapes such as stylized gears and wheels, or natural elements such as sunbursts and flowers.

The Art Deco Era

During the period between the two World Wars, an eclectic design style developed that later became known as Art Deco. The name was derived from the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs Industriels et Modernes, held in Paris, which celebrated living in the modern world. Today, "Art Deco" is used to refer to a mix of styles from the 1920s and 1930s.

The Art Deco era was one of contradictions. Through the Roaring Twenties and the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Art Deco style infused the everyday world with an elegant style of cool sophistication. Singers and songwriters entertained audiences through the new medium of radio, and Hollywood musicals offered the hope of better times and a temporary escape from daily troubles. Travel was in the news with ocean liners racing the Atlantic and trains crossing continents, as speed became a metaphor for modern times.

What characterizes Art Deco design? The architecture and applied arts of the period reveal a varied mix. However, most share the hallmarks of geometry and simplicity, often combined with vibrant colors and simple shapes that celebrate the rise of commerce and technology. From luxurious objects made from exotic materials to mass produced, streamlined items available to a growing middle class, the world of Art Deco represents a "graciousness of form" from a simpler time

The Empire State Building, finished in 1931-32, ended the era of Art Deco skyscrapers. The building's tiered structure, reminiscent of the Egyptian and Aztec pyramids, reflects the popular skyscraper style of the period. The building is topped with a mast for mooring dirigibles, an expression of the machine age and its focus on transportation.

Interior Design during the Art Deco era reflected a unified approach. Indeed, the line between Art Deco interior design and industrial design is often difficult to distinguish, with many of the era's top industrial designers and architects often designing interiors as well. Many of the furnishings incorporate industrial materials such as glass and metal and were designed to create a cohesive environment reminiscent of a fine-tuned machine.

Industrial Design made a name for itself during the Art Deco era. During the 1930s, industrial design consultants were commissioned by manufacturing companies to produce a variety of goods. Influenced by efforts to develop a more aerodynamic automobile, industrial designers adopted streamlining for a number of objects. Made from the latest materials, such as plastics, chrome and aluminum, domestic goods had a modern, high-speed look and were available to everyone due to mass production.

The popularity of Art Deco has seen a resurgence in the last ten years and it is predicted to continue to attract an even larger following. Collectors from every walk of life are seeking the "Art Deco" look and are paying premium prices to acquire the pieces of their dreams. There appears to be a new "old" movement. Investors are encouraged to take a serious look at this genre of period pieces.

Art Deco Style:

Art Deco is widely used in many areas as a decoration style, such as architecture, interiors, furnishing, fine arts, handmade crafts, posters, and industrial design. If one is looking for an appropriate word to describe overall Art Deco as a design style, 'Speed' would be the best word for it. "During the Great Depression, a second Art Deco period, buildings usually have very little ornamentation and have a very flat, machine-like look "(Klunk.2). In fact, Art Deco was influenced by the modern art movements of Cubism, Futurism, and Constructivism; however, it also took some ideas from the ancient geometrical design styles, such as Egypt, Assyria and Persia. Art Deco designers use stepped forms, rounded corners, triple- striped decorative elements and black decoration quite a lot. The most important thing is that they are all in geometrical order, and simple formats. With the increasing of machine power, Art Deco also used machine- like materials.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:17 AM   #31
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Any Art-Deco enthu here?

ME! ME! ME!

In fact my bed that I am sleeping on is an Art Deco bed.....my cupboard and the 'powder table' too. The reason is that those are my Granddad's and grandma's wedding furnitures dated back in 1941!

And I am also a HUGE fan of Empire State Building and Chrysler Building.......also that Parkview Square in Singapore is one of muh fav building there!
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #32
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
I think HSBC at Beach Road is also Art-Deco.

Yes Baq! You're right

Beach Street's HSBC is another very good example of Art Deco!

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #33
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

This building is an exampleof a mix of Art Deco fused with Neo-Classical style. The arch and the proportion/form of the building are Neo-Classical while the decorative elements are Art Deco. NOte the simple geometric forms .......This is Southern Bank right?

Last edited by szehoong; April 29th, 2004 at 01:36 AM.
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #34
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
what's enthu??

'enthu' is short for 'enthusiast'
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #35
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Guys -
Any pics of Odeon and TNB building near Chan Sow Lin? And also the superb Rubber Association Building along Jalan Ampang Hilir?

Odeon is a great example of an Art Deco cinema in Malaysia. Another Art Deco cinema (in fact the largest cinema in Malaysia) - The Pavillion at Bukit Bintang are demolished in 1999

And the building along Jalan Ampang isn't the 'Rubber Association Building' lah! .....it is the RRI - Rubber Research Institute
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #36
TYW

this art deco stuff is getting very confusing. anymore examples??

Old April 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #37
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

SzeHoong tukul my head many times oredi

Here's : Rubber Research Institute - Kuala Lumpur - 1930's
http://members.tripod.com/kamera_obs...itec/pg081.htm
Pics taken by SUAN I. LIM

Last edited by baqthier; April 29th, 2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old April 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #38
TYW

Quote:
never mind, we'll all post pics and szehoong will tell us wheather it is art deco or not

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #39
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
never mind, we'll all post pics and szehoong will tell us wheather it is art deco or not

wah....then this thread becomes like "ask szehoong about architectural style" thread.....not Art Deco anymore
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #40
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:

aiyoh.....sometimes must take turn mah....TYW kena so many times liao....nanti gila ler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement