LOCAL MUSIC - Live & Recorded Music, Local Bands, Venues & Festivals (From the 'Present Day' and from 'Times Gone By') - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old February 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #41
nadj

Likes (Received): 4

Oh! Yeah, missed that - went to Shiney Row college with them.
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #42
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 585

Check out another south shields band, Soundtrack for a B movie, who describe themselves as "Shoegaze / Experimental / Christian Rap". Premsumably the cristian rap reference is a joke as they tend to evoke more of a sound of canadian post rock outfit "Godspeed for black emperor".

http://www.myspace.com/soundtracksforabmovie
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #43
Talisker
dE/dm

Tynesiders Mansfield holdiday are playing at the dog and parrot on the 6th of march and head of steam on the 15th, check them out.

http://www.myspace.com/mansfieldholiday

Also, 6Music favorites, Lanterns on the Lake are at the Cluny on the 28th Feb and the Cumberland Arms 10th April.

http://www.myspace.com/lanternsonthelake
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #44
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

The line up for Evolution Festival 2010 is announced tomorrow as well as tickets on sale from midday.
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #45
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
The line up for Evolution Festival 2010 is announced tomorrow as well as tickets on sale from midday.
The LINK to the Evolution site is now on the WEBSITES thread (in Section 8)

8 - CULTURE, MUSEUMS/GALLERIES & EVENTS ETC (IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER)

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=990561
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #46
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I wonder how much they're going to increase the tickets by this year?
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #47
TownPlanningNE

The line up and pricing information is now available at the following link:

http://www.evolutionfestival.co.uk/secretfortwitter/
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Evolution Festival headline acts announced
Feb 18 2010 by Gordon Barr, Evening Chronicle

A HOST of chart-toppers will perform at this year’s Evolution Festival on Newcastle-Gateshead quayside, it was revealed today.

Acts including Paolo Nutini, Tinchy Stryder and Calvin Harris, will be joined by the likes of Futureheads and new-girl-on-the-block Ellie Goulding for this year’s two-day music spectacular.

The North East’s biggest music event, Evolution Festival 2010, will take place on the Bank Holiday weekend of May 30 and 31.

The event has played host to some of music’s biggest names, old and new, including Dizzee Rascal, Maximo Park and The Human League, as well as some of the most on-point, up-and-coming acts, including Duffy and Marina & The Diamonds before anyone else had even heard of them.

And this year’s line-up is bigger and better than ever, taking place on the Spillers and Baltic stages as well as the new folk and roots area - the Ballast Hill stage.

Kicking things off with a large dose of panache, Sunday will see the Spillers Stage (situated on Spillers Wharf on Newcastle’s Quayside) headlined by incomparable Scottish troubadour Paolo Nutini. Fellow Scot and bona-fide pop star Calvin Harris, Brit rap sensation Tinchy Stryder and indie tearaways Futureheads will also be making highly anticipated appearances on the Spillers stage on the Sunday, alongside cutting-edge sounds from Frankie & The Heartstrings, Twenty Twenty, Natalie Findlay and Let’s Buy Happiness.

Post hardcore four-piece Enter Shikari will head up Evolution’s Bank Holiday Monday line-up.

Other acts confirmed to rock the Spillers Stage on Monday include The Horrors, De la Soul and BBC Sound of 2010 and Brits Critics’ Choice winner Ellie Goulding.

At the Baltic Stage it is all about heads-down no-nonsense dancing on Sunday with a cavalcade of speaker-smashing beats and bass from the likes of Fake Blood, Benga, Rusko and Scratch Perverts, while Monday sees edgier indie dance crossover action, including Delphic and Hadouken!

The new Ballast Hill stage will include more laidback vibes from the likes of The Unthanks, King Creosote and Donovan over the two days.

Carol Bell, head of culture and major events at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, said: “Jim Mawdsley and his team at Generator have an unrivalled passion for music and continue to deliver line-ups that would be the envy of most large-scale festivals.”

Weekend tickets are £25 and went on sale midday today. Log on to www.evolutionfestival.co.uk
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #49
Talisker
dE/dm

Theres some great bands on the lineup, although the horrors and hip hop greats de la soul are standouts for me. Also good to see local bands futurheads, frankie and the heartstrings, field music and let's buy happiness. I'm going to try and get tickets
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #50
Smash17

A great line up. Not a fan of the 3 headline acts on the Sunday but they're all undoubtedly big names. I've already ordered my tickets.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #51
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

£25! What happened to free! I don't think the line up is actually any good, third rate current pop acts mainly. Would be interested in Marina and the Diamonds only because Marina is beautiful. Don't think I'd pay £25 to see her.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #52
Smash17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
£25! What happened to free! I don't think the line up is actually any good, third rate current pop acts mainly. Would be interested in Marina and the Diamonds only because Marina is beautiful. Don't think I'd pay £25 to see her.
She's not actually playing, they mention her in the article because she played last year.

That said she is playing Digital tonight.
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #53
Talisker
dE/dm

You don't think 25 quid is good value for a two day festival Stu? I don't think there's much competition TBH. I paid about 90 pound for the virgin mobile festival in vancouver last year and it was smaller than evolution. Ticket prices are just hideous these days and you could easily spend the ticket price on some individual bands on this lineup.
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #54
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 25

That is a great line-up! Not necessarily for me, but some of them certainly are. I reckon I'd enjoy watching Paulo Nutini, and love the Futureheads, and am looking forward to seeing what Frankie and the Heartstrings are like at the upcoming radio 1 gig. With the likes of Hadoiuken and Enter Shikari, that's a heavier tilt to the acts, I wonder whether this will mean more crowd trouble? De La Soul is an excellent coup for the event, and it would almost be worth going to just for them. I've heard good things about Ellie Goulding too, though I've got a feeling the waily edgy female singer bubble is about to burst soon, it's close to saturation point.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #55
Talisker
dE/dm

http://www.myspace.com/athletesinparis

Not sure where athletes in paris are from, listing their location as 'north east', but they're worth checking out (watch the video).

Also check out the Polarsets at:

http://www.myspace.com/polarsets
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #56
Talisker
dE/dm

Just noticed some good news - "let's buy happiness" were one of 11 finalists selected from a total of 1600 entrants in the glastonbury emerging talent content. Usually all those finalists go on to play at the festival, with the winner playing a set on one of the main stages.
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #57
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
James Morrison at Mouth of the Tyne Festival
CHART-topping singer James Morrison has been named as the headline act for this year’s Mouth of the Tyne Festival.

The solo artist will perform at Tynemouth Priory on Saturday, July 10, and tickets go on sale tomorrow from 9am.

Today the star said he was looking forward to performing at the top Tyneside beauty spot for his fans.

He said: “I can’t wait to perform again in the North East, especially at a special place like Tynemouth Priory and Castle.

“I’ve heard there’s some great beaches nearby and the festival draws big crowds so I’m really looking forward to it.”

The Brit-award winner is expected to continue in the footsteps of other high calibre music acts, such as Beverley Knight and The Script, who have previously performed sell-out gigs at the Saturday evening concert of the festival.

Coun Glynis Barrie, cabinet member for community services, said: “We’re thrilled to add James Morrison to our line up for the annual Mouth of the Tyne Festival.

“Securing another high calibre music artist is testament to the growing popularity of the event as it establishes itself as one of the region’s favourite summer festivals.”

Warwickshire-born James Morrison is an English singer-songwriter and guitarist who has enjoyed chart-topping success since his rise to fame in 2006.

His debut single You Give Me Something reached number five in the UK singles chart. His debut album Undiscovered was released soon after and quickly hit the top of the UK albums chart. Another successful album followed in 2008, with Songs for You, Truths for Me hitting the top spot again.

The Mouth of the Tyne Festival is a two-day celebration of world-class street theatre, live music and special one-off performances on both sides of the River Tyne.

Tickets for James Morrison cost £20 each plus a booking fee.

Further details of the weekend’s free programme of acts will be announced soon.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-25912964/
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM   #58
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Evolution Festival is really starting to grow up
May 31 2010 by Ruth Lawson, The Journal

THE North East’s biggest music festival got off to a storming start yesterday.

Thousands of people flocked to Newcastle and Gateshead Quaysides to catch a glimpse of music maestros such as Paolo Nutini, Calvin Harris, Tinchy Stryder and home-grown talent The Futureheads.

The bank holiday festival, which is now in its fifth year, continues to gain in popularity and has secured bigger acts each year.

But local up-and-coming acts also get the opportunity to showcase their talents in front of massive audiences.

Gateshead-based Let’s Buy Happiness were one of the lucky bands which took to the Spillers Wharf stage on the Newcastle side yesterday.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26556884/
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM   #59
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 36

Weird article.
Evolution was supposidly rather bad this year- and with those huge ticket prices...
They had bigger acts back towards the beginning than recently. The only one from this year I can remember are The Horrors and they're hardly big (though they are good).
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM   #60
Talisker
dE/dm

Well I attended the evolution festival and it was barely worth it really. It's a great idea, but it's just badly organised and overly subscribed. I heard there were 60,000 tickets which sounds about right from the crowd size. That's a similar size to lollapalooza in chicago which is on a much bigger venue with more stages. 95% of people there were kids really.

I stayed for the three big mackem acts on sunday and then left to find something to eat, and didn't bother returning for tinchy and paulo nutini. Frankie and the heartstrings were great, as were the futureheads. Field music were good, but didn't really get the crowd going, which is a shame. There were a few other good local acts on a new stage at the opposite end of the spillers wharf site. I was particularly impressed by Illustrators and Hellfire club. On the sunday the best acts by far were the horrors and de la soul. Mirrors were great as well, although the audience couldn't have cared less.
Advertisement

Tags
entertainment, historic newcastle, history, music, newcastle, newcastle media, north east eng - media