Hull and Humber - Music, Events and Entertainment Scene - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:20 AM   #101
Dazzar86

Likes (Received): 27

Riki - I used to love those nights at Silhouettes - The Rakes! 22 grand job in the city is alright...

It's actually a really good venue inside and it's location is even better than back then due to St.Stephen's.

It's all well and good saying Welly and Asylum are big enough, but they don't have the budgets of O2 academy's, so they can't book acts that would bring in money.

Looking at the Oxford O2 gig list:
The Kills
Fun Lovin Criminals
N-Dubz
Professor Green
Toots and the Maytals (amazing band!)
Chapel Club
Wretch32
Alabama3
Electric Six

they'd all get decent crowds in Hull...

1 gig on the Oxford list is Wolf Gang, who is playing in Hull next week. Really good act and should draw a few in - just a shame it's mid-week. Noticed the gigs at Fruit do way better on a Friday or Saturday night.
Dazzar86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:45 AM   #102
pug

Likes (Received): 41

Oxford is different and cant be compared with Hull.

02 acadamy tend to have gigs mid week and club nights at weekends also....

They are not interested in Hull. If anyone feels there is a market for it then I suggest they get their hands in their pockets.

We need better promoters not more venues.
pug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:06 AM   #103
Dazzar86

Well why is it the bloke I know succeed's as a promoter in other cities, but not in Hull? It's because the venues in Hull don't have the money to promote gigs.

Dean at Fruit puts on some great gigs on a small budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM   #104
pug

It has been said already, these venues do have the money. Asylum certainly does!!!

02 Acadamy do not believe investment will be fruitful in Hull. They do not believe there is a market full stop... Where do you expect money to come from?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:16 AM   #105
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Pug by funding I invested a fair bit into a organized event, lots of money was spent on promoting the event and this caused the event to be successful, I seem to remember it a sell out.

That's my point.
Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:24 AM   #106
pug

Hull, which event was this?

I know that as of a couple of years ago (when Hull was seeing more gigs) no one was willing to back a venue in the city, things have worsened since then. If you dont believe me then do some digging. I hope you can conclusivelu prove me wrong, I honestly do!!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #107
Hull

it was a local bands event at adelphi.

I actually am a annonymous ,what they brand me as, invester for local events and projects, the reason for this is i do not have the time. The amount or time organization takes idls mass. If i had the time and the money i would do exacly that.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:14 AM   #108
CityHull
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Once the former LA's nightclub on Ferensway was demolished any hope of Hull having an Academy went with it!

It is well documented around Hull that this particular building was viewed as a potential site but after research into the market in Hull such a venue would not make any money.

Unlike Doncaster, Hull would not attract gig goers from the largest Cities in Yorkshire Sheffield, Leeds and Bradford.

Last edited by CityHull; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
CityHull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM   #109
pug

Well I guess we should be grateful of your time on this forum then Hull, you seem to have plenty of time to post on here

Surely you would remember what the event was called, having invested 'a fair bit'...?

CityHull is absolutely correct unfortunately.

I must say though, that I admire those out there who can run a venue on a shoe-string and still get a great line-up of acts. Adelphi is the prime example, these people do it for the love of it rather than the financial aspect. The problem is that a major sponsor will not invest in Hull, they are the ones who need big returns on their investments. I'm not suggesting I agree with that (in music), but thats the way it is I'm afraid.

Last edited by pug; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:46 AM   #110
CityHull
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull View Post
it was a local bands event at adelphi.

I actually am a annonymous ,what they brand me as, invester for local events and projects, the reason for this is i do not have the time. The amount or time organization takes idls mass. If i had the time and the money i would do exacly that.

When you say invested do you mean that a charity or University event took place at the Adelphi and Mr Jackson agreed for this to take place in his venue knowing that all bar takings are his? The reason I ask this, I knew him quite well and Mr Jackson would never in a million years allow outside interference in his venue especially corporate or otherwise or are we just talking a few flyers around Princess Avenue/ Newland Avenue?

Last edited by CityHull; June 2nd, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
CityHull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM   #111
Hull

It was a event in which local bands played and a few of the bands at the end recived a healthy sum of money, I also payed to get the event off the drawing board.

Pug surly my contribution on here is a good thing? I try to come on here to be helpful, and it when I have breaks or am traveling. So it's nothing like the time needs to start up an academy!
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #112
pug

Your contribution is welcomed by me Hull, but when you make things up (as you have done here and before) just to try and back up your argument there is no point in debating anything with you.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #113
Dazzar86

Doesn't Tibfest suggest otherwise though? thousands pay money to watch a load of tribute acts, surely they'd do the same for the real thing?

Tribfest spends a lot of money on promotion - so shows what can be done with a budget.

I mean, the only gig listed for the WHOLE year at Hull Arena is The Specials in October - this was announced months ago, possibly even last year! ...I've yet to see even ONE poster or flyer advertising the event anywhere in the city.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #114
pug

Dazzar, as I have tried to keep saying... An Academy requires a number of gigs on a weekly basis, complimented by club nights once or twice a week. Not only is there no market for that number of gigs, but also an Academy would damage the current venues by attracting gigs away from them anyway.

AMG decided there was no market for Hull, as CityHull also says and through what I had already been told. The events you are mentioning are one-offs and completely different.

I have heard the council want to increase spend on arts and culture as I posted a bit back, hopefully that may include funds to attract a few more gigs to the Ice Arena and City Hall.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #115
Dazzar86

But talking mid-sized venues for the gigs we're mentioning: Welly barely ever puts on gigs anymore... I think Asylum has about 3 gigs between now and the end of the year, as mentioned The Specials are the only act at Hull Arena and Imelda May (see how great the events organisers choices are) is the only gig at Hull City Hall between now and the end of the year.

So 5 gigs in more than half a year is enough for a city the size of Hull?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:33 PM   #116
pug

Yes and the reason is largely because at the moment some of them have lost money on staging gigs unless it is a band who are 'big' at the moment. Im afraid thats the way it is, people just lose confidence and move elsewhere, as people I know have done, and people you have also mentioned.

I wanted AMG to invest in Hull, I thought LAs was the perfect venue for that kind of set up, but they did not see the potential in the end. Other individuals looked at it with a view to run it as a stand alone setup and they were met with council obstruction and a weak market.

Things may change some years down the line, but peoples' attitudes need to change and Hull would need to attract people from further afield to make it worthwhile.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #117
Dazzar86

Where is this AMG statement that a venue in Hull isn't viable, please?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM   #118
pug

Dazzar, what are you talking about? Commercial organisations rarely release statements such as deciding not to invest in a site, you do know that dont you?

I used to work at a company that worked closely with bars and restaurants in the region, some people I used to work with were privy to information relating to such things. I know for a fact AMG had looked at Hull at around the same time they were looking at setting up venues in Leeds and Sheffield, when they were still sponsored by Carling. LAs was the obvious choice. As CityHull has said, it was deemed not viable, as the catchment area was pretty thin and the venues currently on offer were hardly over subscribed with gigs. Add to that the perennial problem with trying to get tour organisers to put Hull on their maps, and you get a situation where it is not viable to invest such an amount in a city that, lets face it, has 50% of its catchment area in the North Sea...

You go out and speak to people who are still in Hull that were involved in the music scene a few years ago and surely someone will be able to vouch for that.

If you can get me official information to the contrary then I would be happy, I honestly would!! But there is fantasy, and there is reality. You see enough of something and reality does kick in Im afraid..
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #119
Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzar86 View Post
Doesn't Tibfest suggest otherwise though? thousands pay money to watch a load of tribute acts, surely they'd do the same for the real thing?

Tribfest spends a lot of money on promotion - so shows what can be done with a budget.

I mean, the only gig listed for the WHOLE year at Hull Arena is The Specials in October - this was announced months ago, possibly even last year! ...I've yet to see even ONE poster or flyer advertising the event anywhere in the city.
I didn't even know about this haha, the offering for a city this size is very poor indeed.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #120
pug

Hello wall....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
entertainment, hull, north east eng - media