RETAIL MEMORIES : from times past in Newcastle and the North East - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM   #21
alf stone

Likes (Received): 485

I remember Mr. Rahman's ads well, they were very entertaining though I often wonder if they attracted any business his way. I notice he is still listed in some of the internet directories at 190 Westgate Road but the last time I passed that way a couple of years ago the place looked empty.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

W E Harker Ltd, Furnishings, 38-40 Grainger Street . .

Harker's CLOSING DOWN sale, in 1967 . .

One of their advertisements, from 1929 . .

The Harker building, just built in 1868. The rest of Grainger Street, South of Newgate Street, still to be built . .

The building (next to the TSB HQ / MileCastle Pub to be) that replaced it just over 100 years later in the early 1970s, called 'Maybrook House' . .

PHOTOS - Courtesy of . .

NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL & CITY LIBRARIES - PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/

ADVERT - Courtesy of . .

The BOOK . . . "Canny Newcastle" (1929 edition)

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 26th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #23
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Beatties.
Was that where Internacionale is now and it used to have a working model railway up above?
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #24
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
There used to be a shop on Blenheim Street called (simply) 'The Model Shop'. It was a small shop-front, but it was on three floors, I think.

You could get anything you wanted there, and I used to sell items in there, as well as buy them. Did anyone on here ever buy any (beautifully) hand-painted small metal 'Napoleonic Soldiers' (British and/or French troops) that I was selling there in the 1970s . . . ?

NO, you can't have your money back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDT View Post
Remember my dad (and grandad) always going on about the Model Shop. They used to take me there loads of times. The aircraft hanging from the ceiling were brilliant. It was demolished to make way fir St James Boulevard, moving down opposite the CFL. I used it a lot then when I was into AFV models. Unfortunately they closed down a couple of years ago. Shame,

GBDT

Here are some images of and an advert for, the famous "Model Shop" on Blenheim Street.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 20th, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #25
GBDT

Likes (Received): 419

The Model Shop

Bleinhem Street and the Model Shop.

Blandford_St_001 by GBDT, on Flickr

Cheers
GBDT

Last edited by GBDT; February 20th, 2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixing photo link
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #26
GBDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leauk View Post
Was that where Internacionale is now and it used to have a working model railway up above?
Beatties used to be in Pilgrim Street next to the old NEEB building

You can just make Beatties out on the left of this photo.

1075-15-1989 by GBDT, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers
GBDT

Last edited by GBDT; December 6th, 2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Fixing photo links
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #27
alf stone

Re. the Model Shop.

Well done you chaps for finding those pictures, I was beginning to think I would never see it again. I spent many a happy Saturday morning in there with my brother. We used to save our pocket money and then walk from Gateshead to save a few more pennies. It must have been about 4d. each way then. We bought mostly car kits and aeroplanes but we spent hours looking at the things we would never be able to afford.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #28
ozzie1980

Likes (Received): 0

The 1868 Harker Building photo is absolutely fabulous!! The shacks of Grainger Street is truly old Newcastle! Are there any more photos in this set?
ozzie1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie1980 View Post
The 1868 Harker Building photo is absolutely fabulous!! The shacks of Grainger Street is truly old Newcastle! Are there any more photos in this set?

I have never seen another photo of Grainger Street in its "spectacularly" half-built state of 1868, unfortunately!!

But, there are lots of early Newcastle (City Centre particularly) photos, from 'around that era' on the website that I quoted (see below) . .

NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL & CITY LIBRARIES - PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/

Old September 29th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #30
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Who remembers FARNONS?

image hosted on flickr

A VERY much busier scene in Nun Street, in 1957 . . .

The queues for Farnons Sale, in 1958 . . .

The store front in 1950, showing the (then) permanent slogan "Try Farnons First" . .

I have one of their plastic bags from the 1980s . .

Farnons, in 'party mood' on their 111th Birthday in 1978 . .

A personal memory of Farnons, described in the 2009 book, "Its My Life, 1960s Newcastle" . .

Despite what is written above, I don't remember Farnons ever changing their "Try Farnons First" slogan, to "Try Farnons Last!"

Here is another view of the very "disjointed" mix-and-match set of shop frontages (the exact opposite of Nun Street) that constituted FARNONS on Newgate Street. The tall concrete building on the left of this photo, contains the main (Newgate Street) entrance.

Old September 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #31
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 147

My memories of Farnons.

Higgledy piggledy rooms, up a couple of steps then down a few, it felt like a bunch of houses knocked together.

Didn't they use air tubes to send and recieve money?

I seem to remember i closing quickly, something to do with the building being unsafe, or am i imagining it?
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #32
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn View Post
My memories of Farnons.

Higgledy piggledy rooms, up a couple of steps then down a few, it felt like a bunch of houses knocked together.

Didn't they use air tubes to send and recieve money?

I seem to remember i closing quickly, something to do with the building being unsafe, or am i imagining it?
After it closed, the building was gutted and the Nun Street facade retained, or rather it would have been retained if it hadn't collapsed into the street one night. What is there now is a replica. You may be thinking of that.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #33
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

Animals in Newcastle.

Two of my earliest memories of being in the city centre are animal-based. I could have dreamt or imagined them, too....

1, Was there a pet shop close to Greys Monument late 60's / very early 70's? It could have been in the area knocked down near to the YMCA. What I remember about it is a Mynah Bird in the shop that was really chatty - but I can't remember what it said.

2, Was there some kind of indoor 'zoo' in the Bigg Market? If there was, then I guess I was taken there. If not......??

Anyone??

Also.... I remember going to see a big dead Whale on the back of a lorry in Exhibition Park.... what the hell was THAT all about??
Captain Timber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #34
GBDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Timber View Post
Animals in Newcastle.

Two of my earliest memories of being in the city centre are animal-based. I could have dreamt or imagined them, too....

2, Was there some kind of indoor 'zoo' in the Bigg Market? If there was, then I guess I was taken there. If not......??

Anyone??

Also.... I remember going to see a big dead Whale on the back of a lorry in Exhibition Park.... what the hell was THAT all about??

There was an indoor zoo held in the old town hall, between Cloth and Groat Markets. Not sure what year but I'm certain that I went there!

GBDT
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #35
alf stone

There's a poor quality video of the zoo here:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/video...2703-21913112/

I can't pinpoint the date other than it was late 60s.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #36
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
There's a poor quality video of the zoo here:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/video...2703-21913112/

I can't pinpoint the date other than it was late 60s.
Yes, that's the one. It felt like viewing animals in a school hall!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #37
Captain Timber
6ft of fun.

Quote:
Animals in Newcastle.
1, Was there a pet shop close to Greys Monument late 60's / very early 70's? It could have been in the area knocked down near to the YMCA. What I remember about it is a Mynah Bird in the shop that was really chatty - but I can't remember what it said.
I've just spoken to my Dad, and it was Robinsons, on Clayton St. He reckons the bird spoke better English than him . They are still in business in The Grainger Market - shame on me for not knowing that!

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejou...212212821.html
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #38
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
I've just spoken to my Dad, and it was Robinsons, on Clayton St. He reckons the bird spoke better English than him . They are still in business in The Grainger Market - shame on me for not knowing that!

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejou...212212821.html

Yes, the Robinsons Pet Shop in Clayton Street was for many many years Newcastle's PREMIERE pet shop.

As a child I spent a lot of time in there, the pets were kept upstairs on the first floor.

We actually got a kitten from there when we first got married, but mainly I had taken kittens INTO there, as my parents had a male and female cat, and allowed them to have three litters before 'getting them done'!

A great shop, a big miss when it closed down (early 80s?) but there is always a clear reminder of it in the nearby Grainger Market. The small narrow branch of Robinsons is still there, in one corner of the market, and the 'signage' above the shop still looks quite reminiscent of what it looked like back in the 60s and 70s!

image hosted on flickr
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #39
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlefieldjohn View Post
My memories of Farnons.

Yes, that describes my memories of it perfectly!!!

My other main memory is that it was 'the place to go' for Net Curtains, which me and Mrs H did a fair few times when we first got married!
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #40
Tom_NUFC

Likes (Received): 1

I remember Farnons. I used to get my school uniform from there. I found it wierd that it was in two different shops on both sides of Nun Street.

I still go into the Grainger Market, but I remember as a kid, dreading going to the town with my dad, who always used to go in there. I used to hate the Pigs heads in the Butchers shops. My dad found this hilarious as I'd close my eyes. He used to threaten to buy one and I'd be crying, pleading with him not to (I'm not a veggie by the way). This was only in the 80s, but I like the way the Grainger Market hasn't changed too much (though thankfully, I've not seen a pigs head for a while.)

Fenwicks still feels like a Newcastle institution to me. Aye, there's a few of them around, but ours is the original, proper one. Incidently, has anyone been to another branch of Fenwicks? I've been in the one in London. Very weird, because as I say I identify Fenwicks with Newcastle.

John Lewis will always be Bainbridges.

Moving away from the City Centre. Shields Road even in the 80s used to be a real shopping hub, with two big department stores, Parrishes and Beavans. When they went, Shields Road nosedived and has never recovered. It's sad to see it, the state it's in at the minute.
Tom_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle retail, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping, united kingdom