DUBLIN | Retail & Entertainment - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 115 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #101
Dvblvnia

Likes (Received): 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmalojin View Post
Another Starbucks? Isn't there one across the road from where this one is going to be?
Hi all,

long time reader, new time poster here. I'm glad to hear something is opening up in Bewley's old site, I'm less glad that its to be Starbucks and TGI Fridays. It would have been better had it been an Irish company like O'Briens or something opening up a great, flagship café with a sense of what an institution Bewley's on Westmoreland St. was for all those years.

Westmoreland St. certainly does seem to be a contrary pocket of the city centre. During the boom the street actually emptied - first with the closure of the EBS headquarters, then the Manchester United shop (for which they have still been paying rent), Bewley's, Hickey's Pharmacy and O'Sullivan's pub. Now that Dublin has been laid low by the recession with barely a single crane on the skyline CCT Education, Starbucks, TGI Fridays and the nightclub Lafayette open up along the street with O'Sullivan's pub reopening late last year.

I'm intrigued by the Starbucks decision - they do have one across the street and another a few minutes' walk away in College Green. Add in O'Brien's, Costa Coffee, the Subway concession on Westmoreland St. and the café around the corner from Q-bar and the place is fairly saturated with places to get a sandwich and a hot drink.
Dvblvnia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #102
thebig C

Likes (Received): 323

Hey Dvblvnia!! Hope its the first post of many!!

You are quite correct regarding Westmorland Street. I my own mind I always put this emptying down to the fact that many Dubliners view Westmorland St (and D'olier St) simply as places to be transited through whilst going from Northside to Southside.

Neither are the helped by being so wide and difficult to cross for pedestrians.

Starbucks seem to have a policy of blanket bombing, they open as many outlets as possible. They only Starbucks store I have seen close permanently is Tallaght....which was odd because it was in a great location and always busy.

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #103
Dvblvnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Hey Dvblvnia!! Hope its the first post of many!!
Hi theBig C! Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
You are quite correct regarding Westmorland Street. I my own mind I always put this emptying down to the fact that many Dubliners view Westmorland St (and D'olier St) simply as places to be transited through whilst going from Northside to Southside.

Neither are the helped by being so wide and difficult to cross for pedestrians.
That's quite a good point. D'Olier St. is another place which has emptied during the boom. It used to be quite an important street, what with the Irish Times' offices along it. Now it's simply a means of getting from South to North and vice versa.

I think once Luas BXD and Metro North are completed (whenever that is!) there will be a great opportunity to re-imagine Westmoreland St.. I don't think there would be much need for the amount of bus traffic which goes through it then as the Metro and Luas can take people from one side of the city to another over (and under) O'Connell Bridge. Moreover, only northbound Luases will be using the track on Westmoreland St. so buses could share that space with the Luas during off-peak periods. With buses diverted there's a chance to create a street park like the one on Times Square, New York. Half a lane could be taken off Westmoreland St. with tables, chairs and so on being established. Couple this with a plan to address all the clutter of poles, signage, shopfronts and street furniture already on Westmoreland St. and it could be a great place to be, right in the middle of our fair city.

Quote:
Starbucks seem to have a policy of blanket bombing, they open as many outlets as possible. They only Starbucks store I have seen close permanently is Tallaght....which was odd because it was in a great location and always busy.

C
That's true, I also heard that it could be more of a concession than an actual café - a bit like the Insomnia places in Spar - and that they'll really just serve the tea/coffee in TGI Friday's. Either way, we'll see soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #104
odlum833

Likes (Received): 6050

Construction has begun on the Abercrombie & Fitch store - must be underway since March.

http://anfnewsnow.blogspot.com/2012/...-fitch-in.html

This from twitter

http://p.twimg.com/AruKs_WCIAA6cPp.jpg

Question is what, if anything, are they going to do to the facade and entrance of the building?

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; May 5th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
odlum833 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #105
Viking74

Likes (Received): 59

I think that that particular store draws such a crowd that it doesn't even need a sign over the door. I'm not sure if the London one has a sign as far as I remember. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do inside, but I'd imagine that the facade would have to be left alone. The opening of this store will be a huge positive for the city centre.
Viking74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #106
JD47

Likes (Received): 314

The building is lovely.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #107
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking74 View Post
I think that that particular store draws such a crowd that it doesn't even need a sign over the door. I'm not sure if the London one has a sign as far as I remember. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do inside, but I'd imagine that the facade would have to be left alone. The opening of this store will be a huge positive for the city centre.
Definitely, I'd say nearby retailers are looking forward to the increased footfall they'll probably receive as a result of A&F opening!

But, how else will everyone else know that I've been to America, now?

()
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #108
thebig C

Quote:
Definitely, I'd say nearby retailers are looking forward to the increased footfall they'll probably receive as a result of A&F opening!

But, how else will everyone else know that I've been to America, now?

()
Haha....one of my friends is gutted over this issue! It won't be so exclusive anymore
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #109
mmcn90

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Question is what, if anything, are they going to do to the facade and entrance of the building?
Actually thats the one good thing about Abercrombie, they tend to protect the exteriors of their buildings quite well. Let's hope they do similar to their London store, not a sign in sight

mmcn90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #110
Catmalojin

Quote:
Starbucks to take over historic Bewley's building

KITTY HOLLAND

Tue, May 29, 2012

A NEW era will begin today for one of Dublin’s most famous cafes when the former Bewley’s on Westmoreland Street reopens this morning with Starbucks as the main occupant.

The building has been empty since 2005 and yesterday the black hoarding, which had hidden the landmark facade for more than a year, was taken down.

Thom Breslin, design director with Starbucks, said the company was “delighted” to be in “such a prestigious and historic location”.

“We have worked hard to bring the site back to life in a way that reflects and maintains the character of a building which is part of Dublin life. We’ve retained the original ornate facade and hope we can build on a great tradition of coffee in the city.”

He said the cafe would have a new mezzanine floor and “there will be seats for more than 100 customers on both levels”.

Founder of the Save Bewley’s campaign, former councillor Damien Cassidy, who has been critical of the neglect of the site as well as plans, in 2007, to change it into a shop, said he was “really pleased” with the development.

American food chain TGI Friday’s will open to the rear later this week, with an entrance from Fleet Street.

© 2012 The Irish Times
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #111
Dvblvnia

Thanks for the link, Catmajolin. It sounds good, particularly considering the development has been welcomed by the leader of the Save Bewley's campaign. TGI Fridays opening out on Fleet Street also sounds like a good move. Great to see this hole in Westmoreland St. being filled and hopefully it works out well. I must check it out the next time I'm in Town.
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #112
Dvblvnia

Here's a shot of the new Starbuck's in Bewley's old site on Westmoreland St.

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #113
Catmalojin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
Here's a shot of the new Starbuck's in Bewley's old site on Westmoreland St.

It looks good, thankfully they kept the old façade in place!
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:04 PM   #114
thebig C

Agreed Catmalojin! This is one of the best modernisations I have seen a simple but effective Starbucks logo in the window and minimal damage to the structure. Ordinarily shopkeepers just hack historic facades to pieces....overlooked by DCC!!
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #115
Dvblvnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
Agreed Catmalojin! This is one of the best modernisations I have seen a simple but effective Starbucks logo in the window and minimal damage to the structure. Ordinarily shopkeepers just hack historic facades to pieces....overlooked by DCC!!
Yeah, this reveal has just shown how far standards have fallen in shop frontage in Dublin even over just the last five years. Abrakebabra, O'Carrolls, the Umbro shop et al. all have cheap, tacky and garish plastic signage which make the place look shoddy and uncouth. Bewley's stylish windowpanes, elegant wood-panelling, exquisite mosaic tiling, aesthetically-pleasing typefaces and ornate details like the street lamps demonstrate how shopfronts should and can be designed for a main thoroughfare in a capital city. I applaud Starbuck's for respecting its surroundings by placing only a restrained single Starbucks sign in the window. More please!
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM   #116
dubshee

Likes (Received): 27

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvblvnia View Post
I applaud Starbuck's for respecting its surroundings by placing only a restrained single Starbucks sign in the window. More please!
I couldn´t agree more. Give me this any day over a Supermacs or an O´Briens sandwich bar...Irish or not. Not sure if even Bewleys themselves would have done as good a job. Starbucks deserve major kudos here and I´d gladly see one on every corner if this was their approach to future developments in the city and elsewhere.
dubshee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM   #117
Catmalojin

Quote:
McDonald's wins battle of Temple Bar
By Niall O'Connor
Thursday May 31 2012

MCDONALD'S has won its bid to open a new outlet in a 19th century Temple Bar building, the Herald has learnt.

The takeaway giant was celebrating today after An Bord Pleanala gave the green light for its controversial proposal.

Sources close to the process confirmed to the Herald today that the application was approved by the planning body -- after initial objections from Dublin City Council.

Some 78 jobs will now be created in Temple Bar -- with McDonald's replacing the former Frankie Dettori-owned Steakhouse & Bar.

The Herald can reveal that while the famous golden arches will be allowed in the tourist hotspot, the planning body is imposing a strict condition that it must close by midnight. The firm will also be obliged to ensure that the unique structure of the building is protected.

The ambitious plans caused serious divide in the city, with the local authority claiming it could have a "detrimental effect" on the area.

And the chief executive of Temple Bar Cultural Trust (TBCT), Dermot McLaughlin, recently said he would "abhor" the prospect.

The statement sparked a furious response from some board members who claimed it was not representative of the overall view in TBCT.

There was a mixed reaction today from local representatives in the Temple bar area.

Independent councillor for Dublin South East Mannix Flynn said the "big winners" were those seeking work.

"There will now be up to 80 new jobs created because of this and anybody who cannot see the importance in that needs to consider again," he said.

However, Fine Gael councillor Kieran Binchy said: "I'm both surprised and disappointed at the decision by An Bord Pleanala. It is not the sort of thing that will attract tourists so I certainly believe it is a backward step."

[email protected]

- Niall O'Connor

Evening Herald
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM   #118
Dvblvnia

Counterintuitively, this is an announcement which can be welcomed. While McDonald's certainly doesn't trade in haute cuisine, they certainly can't be faulted for city centre design in Dublin and their suburban outlets also tend to be fairly well presented. McDonalds on Grafton and Mary/Jervis St. corner are quite restrained in their signage and are a class above their Irish counterparts. Supermacs, Apache Pizza and a lot of the non-chain fast food joints in Temple Bar certainly don't respect their surroundings and will be far more garish than any planned McDonald's outlet in Temple Bar.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #119
Catmalojin

Something pretty much everyone knows:

Quote:
Top US retailer Abercrombie to open Irish outlet
By Cormac O’Keeffe

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Retail giant Abercrombie & Fitch is due to open its long-awaited Irish outlet in September.

Fans across the country — who previously have had to order online or shop in the US for the brand — are expected to descend on the store in Dublin when it opens for business.

The outlet is located in a landmark building right in the city centre, beside Trinity College, and is undergoing major internal renovation.

The former bank is a listed building and was occupied by Habitat, which closed in May 2008 after suffering a severe downturn in sales.

The impressive building is right opposite the Bank of Ireland on College Green and adjacent to Grafton St and Dame St.

Although renovation is gathering apace, building work halted yesterday for the bank holiday weekend.

Local retailers said they have been informed that the store is due to open in September and not before then. Previous reports also suggested that it was expected to open in the autumn and well before Abercrombie’s Christmas season, which launches in mid-October.

The opening will provide a boost for business in the area and is reportedly expected to result in the creation of between 200 and 300 jobs.

Since Habitat exited, the building has been split in two, with the rear being leased out to UK clothing company Cult.

Abercrombie has leased the front of the building, which includes the impressive façade and front-street entrance on College Green.

Rumours of Abercrombie opening an outlet in Dublin have been circulating since 2008 and the company secured a location in Jan 2011.

It is thought the company signed a 10-year contract worth about €750,000 a year, making it a retail fixture for some time.

As the building is a protected structure, permission was required to carry out the major internal works demanded by the company.

Permission was granted in spring 2011, but work did not commence until this spring.

There have been reports that the chain may have delayed work to see how its cheaper brand Hollister performed after it moved into Dundrum Town Centre in July 2011.

It is thought this review was positive and the go-ahead was given for the renovation work in College Green.

The store expects to attract not just the Irish market but also the tourist market, particularly given its prime location, beside Trinity College, the historic Bank of Ireland building, Grafton St, and Temple Bar.

This year the retailer plans to open stores in Hamburg, Hong Kong, Munich, and Amsterdam, as well as Dublin.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, June 02, 2012
This is brilliant news for the city centre. It's sure to increase footfall dramatically.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #120
thebig C

Quote:
Something pretty much everyone knows:

This is brilliant news for the city centre. It's sure to increase footfall dramatically.
True, and they usually put alot of effort into the fit-out and appearance of their stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dublin, entertainment, retail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: