San José Development News - Page 109 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #2161
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
Now let's back to drooling over sexy skyscrapers:
Think of the children!!!! Here are bananas!!!!

bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #2162
robertee

Likes (Received): 1582

Update (10/24/13)

New Courthouse

Centerra

One South Market

krudmonk, jawz liked this post
robertee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #2163
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 188

Man they're digging fast!! Wow. Also, this explains why I saw rebar frames poking out from 1SM when I thought they should be digging out the property. This means we should start seeing it rise substantially above ground level faster than normal.

Last edited by arturo; October 25th, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
arturo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2164
vrhunski
BANNED

Likes (Received): 119

Bridge Replacement

South Terminal Phase III
vrhunski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2165
SantaTeresaHills
Enough of Flatlands

Likes (Received): 57

SJ apartment boom: Proposals target key downtown SJ corners

The description for the 19 story tower has the wrong location when it says Market and Post. It seems to be on Post between Almaden and San Pedro.

The other one is a 7 story building at 1st and St. John next to Trinity Cathedral.
SantaTeresaHills no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2166
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTeresaHills View Post

The description for the 19 story tower has the wrong location when it says Market and Post. It seems to be on Post between Almaden and San Pedro.

The other one is a 7 story building at 1st and St. John next to Trinity Cathedral.
The project fronting Saint James Park should be required to increase its retail component in order to increase street activity and encourage current park "visitors" to go elsewhere.
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2167
happy_in_san_jose
Chicago_Loop

Likes (Received): 95

An Architectural Review Committee meeting will be held on Thursday November 14th at 6:00 p.m. in Council Wing Room 120 (W-120) to review plans for a 19-story mixed use building at Post Street and South San Pedro Street (File No. PRE13-189, Post and San Pedro Tower ).

A subsequent Urban Design Workshop will be held on Monday November 18th at 6:00 p.m. for the Post and San Pedro Tower .

Questions regarding the Post and San Pedro Tower can be referred to Emily Lipoma ([email protected], (408) 535-7903).
happy_in_san_jose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #2168
robertee

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
The project fronting Saint James Park should be required to increase its retail component in order to increase street activity and encourage current park "visitors" to go elsewhere.
Yeah, I think more retail space along 1st and 2nd needs to be a requirement for this project to move forward. Those streets (between St. John and Santa Clara) are mostly dead right now.

Last edited by robertee; October 29th, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #2169
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

We need some food places facing the park.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2170
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 138

Well, I just returned from my first intensive tour of Seattle. Holy crap, what a great city! (Except for the ate-up weather, at least.)

The downtown is still in one piece, still with department stores downtown, as every city one did.

And the tourist attractions (Pike Place and Seattle Center) are as much enjoyed and used by the locals as the tourists.

But they gotta send some of that rain south, if at all possible.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2171
surrill

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
Well, I just returned from my first intensive tour of Seattle. Holy crap, what a great city! (Except for the ate-up weather, at least.)

The downtown is still in one piece, still with department stores downtown, as every city one did.

And the tourist attractions (Pike Place and Seattle Center) are as much enjoyed and used by the locals as the tourists.

But they gotta send some of that rain south, if at all possible.
I loooooooove Seattle.. Was in Redmond on business back in Feb. Great beer, great food and awesome people! The weather does get old, but that's why the region is so beautiful
surrill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #2172
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrill View Post
I loooooooove Seattle.. Was in Redmond on business back in Feb. Great beer, great food and awesome people! The weather does get old, but that's why the region is so beautiful
Agreed with both of you! Seattle is my most favorite West Coast city!

And I actually like rainy days
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #2173
Urbanatic

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Agreed with both of you! Seattle is my most favorite West Coast city! And I actually like rainy days
Seattle is my favourite city on the west coast as well. The wife and I will eventually relocate their and rent out our San Jose condo.

The neighbourhoods are distinctive and the city is relatively clean and well laid out for walkers.
Urbanatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #2174
SJSharks DowntownGuy
Go Sharks!!

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaTeresaHills View Post

First off, the 19 story tower on Post, is a promising site. I like the density of it being right next to the office building on Santa Clara. But at the same time, I'm confused by the fact that the city is allowing more residential in a primarily office tower district. I understand 1 S. Market is kiddie corner, but if this trend continues, the business district will be completely intermixed. What are people's thoughts on districts and continuity?

As for the second project I'm happy to see this location being developed... but its not dense enough. I understand the proximity to the park and the neighboring church, but it could be tiered down to match the St. John st frontage while having 10-12 story core along 1st/2nd streets. Or it could be all 10-12 stories and wrap around the church, similar to how the Axis wraps around the De Anza Hotel. I think first floor retail is essential on 3 streets. For both properties its exciting to see more parking lots filling in, although its funny that these lots aren't the "prime" lots that have stayed vacant for so long.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #2175
robertee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks DowntownGuy View Post
As for the second project I'm happy to see this location being developed... but its not dense enough. I understand the proximity to the park and the neighboring church, but it could be tiered down to match the St. John st frontage while having 10-12 story core along 1st/2nd streets. Or it could be all 10-12 stories and wrap around the church, similar to how the Axis wraps around the De Anza Hotel. I think first floor retail is essential on 3 streets. For both properties its exciting to see more parking lots filling in, although its funny that these lots aren't the "prime" lots that have stayed vacant for so long.
I'd also like to see them go up to 10+ stories and like I mentioned before, retail along 1st and 2nd is must (IMO). Hopefully, some of the flex space identified on the ground floor layout can be used for retail:

Old October 30th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #2176
KJO

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post

I'd also like to see them go up to 10+ stories and like I mentioned before, retail along 1st and 2nd is must (IMO). Hopefully, some of the flex space identified on the ground floor layout can be used for retail:
Pretty much agree. I'd think that since its already past the wood framed building height limit, adding another floor or two or three would not be that crazy, because they wouldn't have to change the construction type. Some retail would also be nice. Though I'd rather have dense clusters of retail, if the alternative (based on demand) is lots of spread out spaces. I also think it'll be important, going forward, to maintain adequate access to grocery stores , though I think the current supply being a short drive (good distance for car share) away should be good enough for the next few years. Idk just some of my thoughts on the current apartment construction boom.

Oh and another note, about that 19 story proposal near 1 south market. Even though it's a bsb design build, at least it will be surrounded by similarly sized structures in case it looks ugly. Plus we now realize that we no longer have to settle for crap. It looks like its shaping up to be an exciting time for downtown San Jose!

Last edited by KJO; October 30th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
KJO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2177
francomarco

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks DowntownGuy View Post

First off, the 19 story tower on Post, is a promising site. I like the density of it being right next to the office building on Santa Clara. But at the same time, I'm confused by the fact that the city is allowing more residential in a primarily office tower district. I understand 1 S. Market is kiddie corner, but if this trend continues, the business district will be completely intermixed. What are people's thoughts on districts and continuity?
I've always like the thought of residential buildings and office as neighbors for at least one reason....an office building brings people during the day. A residential building brings people all day and night.

However, it is important to keep the business district intact. The old mcwhorters building on market and San Fernando can be razed in favor of office, the parking lot next to att, the old Boston properties site, and, are the main parcels left in core, but the city isn't planning on bring a ton more office downtown.

That's all NSJ, and diridon.

So I think, let's just keep moving forward
francomarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2178
bobby_guz_man

More news on the N1 Mega Campus from Peery/Arrillagas. Looks like they're chomping to get going, leading to heavy speculation that a big-time tenant has already been secured.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n....html?page=all
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:41 AM   #2179
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Quote:
More news on the N1 Mega Campus from Peery/Arrillagas. Looks like they're chomping to get going, leading to heavy speculation that a big-time tenant has already been secured.

It can only be Google behind this (proximity to the airport is notable). Or Alibaba..perhaps they're entering the US with a BOOM? The other large companies listed as possible tenants are already building/expanding their campuses.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2180
usedmedia

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:

Isn't the proposed N1 campus at Component & N. First? Also, my money is on Microsoft/Nokia as being the mystery tenant for the Peery/Arrillaga project.
usedmedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé