San José Development News - Page 121 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2401
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 138

The police are not being "lazy". You try it if you think it's a lark.
They are miserably understaffed.
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2402
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
It is not easy to build an argument that a rise in violent crime and a decline in arrests is a good thing. Especially when you also argue that the police are being lazier in their response times.
The article clearly states that the crimes on the rise are non-violent (thefts, etc). Violent crime is statistically the same as it was 10 years ago. Furthermore, most of the murders in the city are between two known people (I read the newspaper stories!) so even 2,000 more POs would not prevent those crimes.

My "laziness" statement stems from the fact that on any given night there are anywhere from 2-4 police cars parked at the mortuary at 10th and Santa Clara Sts or across the street at 7-11. To be clear: my issue isn't that they're taking a break (being a cop is hard work) but that they do it in groups. I have seen up to police 7 cars there at once! At best that's laziness...and at worst...well, I wont even say what I think...
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2403
ampheon

Likes (Received): 303

Diridon Station EIR Plan

Worth going through if you live near the train station.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?nid=1743
ampheon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #2404
loldawg

Likes (Received): 125

Here is some info on road improvements planned for San Jose. Looks like a bulk of the bike lanes are set to finish next year.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/21181

It does look like the alameda will have some interesting design elements -
"..Increase of $3.8 million to implement improvements to The Alameda including pedestrian crosswalks,
bulb-outs, ADA ramps, raised medians with landscaping and pedestrian refuges, new lighting, and special elements such
as gateway and neighborhood markers.."

Other interesting tidbits include details on autumn st, st. john, san fernando, park ave, san carlos projects..

ampheon liked this post
loldawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2405
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 666

More news on the Peery-Arrillaga project:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...t-on-huge.html

Well-placed sources say it is NOT Google. The company is in the Fortune 100, based in the Valley, but NOT currently in San Jose. This is good! A new company spread into San Jose, awesome!

So, folks, who do you think it is?

Another bit of news on the iStar parcel on Cottle Road. San Jose Earthquakes fan would be more interested in the last pieces of the article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n....html?page=all

Quote:
One side effect from the development of the site will be money for the San Jose Earthquakes stadium, which is already under construction near the San Jose airport.

That's because the stadium developers and owners are also involved in the South San Jose project. A city staff report says that "Approximately $10 million generated through the development of the iStar site will be applied to enhance four elements of the basic stadium design including an upgraded riser and seating system that will enhance the fan experience and ensure the stadium is a quieter neighbor to the housing adjacent to the site."

The exterior of the stadium will also be upgraded with a terra-cotta finish, the report says. The project is expected to create 1,200 construction jobs over the life of the project, and will support 1,000 permanent jobs at buildout, according to a memo from Mayor Chuck Reed and Councilman Ash Kalra, Developers will also contribute up to $13 million in affordable housing in-lieu fees; 3.3 acres for a public park; plus millions more for infrastructure improvements.
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #2406
Xynoplas

Likes (Received): 138

I'll say MicroSoft. Who's in?
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #2407
ampheon

Likes (Received): 303

I love the Empire.

But we need a large company, like Microsoft, in the heart of downtown. I only wish they would move the spot to something near Adobe or something...
ampheon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #2408
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
In no particular order: Walmart, Microsoft, or Amazon.
Old December 19th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2409
SoBay

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
In no particular order: Walmart, Microsoft, or Amazon.
My bet is on Amazon... they've been growing at breakneck speeds and they don't have a strong SV presence.

Am I the only one alarmed at the potential increase in traffic? For 2million sqft of office space - with 300sqft per worker - there will be approx 6k additional people commuting through one of the most congested parts of the 880 and 101! There isn't enough housing stock along 1st street to rely VTA!
SoBay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2410
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 79

My top guess is Microsoft, followed by Amazon. I would be pretty damn happy with almost any company on the Fortune 100 moving here, even non-tech companies.

robertee liked this post
JoshuaSantos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #2411
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBay View Post
Am I the only one alarmed at the potential increase in traffic? For 2million sqft of office space - with 300sqft per worker - there will be approx 6k additional people commuting through one of the most congested parts of the 880 and 101! There isn't enough housing stock along 1st street to rely VTA!
Traffic there is already TERRIBLE. The only hope is that workers live in a new DTSJ condo and commute on the LR! Or live somewhere along the LR corridor. I'm sure whatever company comes in will provide shuttles but traffic will still be a major problem.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #2412
robertee

Likes (Received): 1582

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBay View Post
There isn't enough housing stock along 1st street to rely VTA!
There's a ton under construction and in various stages of development (the NSJ plan allows for up to new 32,000 units). DTSJ will also presumably absorb a lot of these future workers (it looks like Lowe is also proceeding with the first phase of their N1 complex).

Last edited by robertee; December 19th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2413
pesto

Likes (Received): 4158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynoplas View Post
It it's a company based in the Valley, then it can't be Amazon or Microsoft.

If we are talking about Fortune 100 and based in the Valley but not in SJ, then it has to be HP, Apple, Intel, Oracle or Google. Google and Apple are doubtful due to major projects elsewhere; HP and Intel do not seem to be in expansion mode, other than off-shore manufacturing. Oracle could consolidate its facilities from around the Bay Area, and Larry does like to get tax waivers and services for free.

Of course, it could be that one or more of the rumors is just wrong.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2414
surrill

Likes (Received): 38

Going by the rumors, it's gotta be apple..
surrill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #2415
pesto

As for traffic, that is a huge issue. With the frequency of job change in the Valley, putting in local apartments won't be enough. People will be OK for two years and then get a job in Redwood City or Cupertino.

The freeways need major work (which is fortunately already in progress) and rail-bus connections need to be expanded to the new centers in N. Santa Clara and NSJ.

Hopefully these will be more popular than Google's buses in the Mission and SoMa.
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #2416
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2467

If they moved to those apartments to be close to work, they would probably move again to be close to work if they get a new job (once they see how bad the commute to RWC is), unless of course they buy a condo or a house, then it is likely way too costly to move.
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #2417
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
If they moved to those apartments to be close to work, they would probably move again to be close to work if they get a new job (once they see how bad the commute to RWC is), unless of course they buy a condo or a house, then it is likely way too costly to move.
That's OK for a few years, but like it or not buying a house and taking a car or train is the only real choice. Given the lack of pensions in the tech world, without equity in their houses most retirees are going to spend their retirement panhandling.
Old December 20th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #2418
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrill View Post
Going by the rumors, it's gotta be apple..
With a campus for 8000 or so going up in Cupertino and a variety of buildings going up in Sunnyvale? They must have quite a future planned.

Not that I have any better guesses. Maybe it's Fortune 100 but not Valley based. Then Dell becomes a possibility.
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2419
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 79

You know what guys, I think HP might be a possibility.
Old December 20th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #2420
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaSantos View Post
You know what guys, I think HP might be a possibility.
That's not sexy enough for me... I prefer Amazon or Microsoft...better yet Oracle
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé