San José Development News - Page 211 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #4201
ampheon

Likes (Received): 303

"LaSalle Investment Management is talking to city planners about possibilities for the parking lot at 35 S. Second St., commonly known as Fountain Alley. LaSalle last week submitted a preliminary review application to get feedback on development scenarios, including a mostly residential tower design that's as high as 275 feet. (That's 10 feet shorter than San Jose's tallest building, the condo tower known as The 88.)"

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...an-jose-s.html

ampheon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #4202
leaningfizz

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampheon View Post

"LaSalle Investment Management is talking to city planners about possibilities for the parking lot at 35 S. Second St., commonly known as Fountain Alley. LaSalle last week submitted a preliminary review application to get feedback on development scenarios, including a mostly residential tower design that's as high as 275 feet. (That's 10 feet shorter than San Jose's tallest building, the condo tower known as The 88.)"

Please please please! That parking lot is one of the biggest eyesores downtown. Hopefully with the increase in people, businesses will start to occupy all those empty storefronts on that block.
leaningfizz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:53 AM   #4203
quadshock

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningfizz View Post
Please please please! That parking lot is one of the biggest eyesores downtown. Hopefully with the increase in people, businesses will start to occupy all those empty storefronts on that block.
We shouldn't have so many open, ground-level parking lots in downtown, period. This is welcome news; hope it pans out.
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #4204
leaningfizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
We shouldn't have so many open, ground-level parking lots in downtown, period. This is welcome news; hope it pans out.
I agree, they're awful. The big lots at First/ San Fernando, Fountain Alley, Market/ Santa Clara, and Second/ San Carlos are the worst. I'd love to see those developed, especially since they're right in the most visible parts of downtown.
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #4205
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2467

Quote:
I agree, they're awful. The big lots at First/ San Fernando, Fountain Alley, Market/ Santa Clara, and Second/ San Carlos are the worst. I'd love to see those developed, especially since they're right in the most visible parts of downtown.
Block 2 (between 1st and 2nd on San Fernando) and Block 8 (between Market and 1st on San Carlos) are the most annoying to me, both owned by Sobrato now. I swear at this rate it seems like they are going to wait until the economy goes south again before they even have plans.
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #4206
bobby_guz_man

Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
3. That's just until developers wise up and see the benefit of having all resources near transit, assuming such will not happen before 2017 as is. With BART, it is very reasonable to think that surrounding industrial lots and low-density spaces will see more profitable potential uses, and thus be redeveloped. The current Flea Market parking lot is not the only space to fill, so who cares if housing is the first thing to pop up.
I'm hoping your predictions are true, though there does not seem to be a lot of land left after the Flea Market parking lot and the Market itself. Once all the housing are built there, do we have any space left around to build office/commercial?

And Berryessa station is still very far away from the N1 corridor where all the tech companies of San Jose resides. The best way to get to them would be to jump off at Milpitas BART and then roll over to the light-rail.

I don't mind the housing at Berryessa (in fact I think the plan looks great, especially the planned mid-rise), I just don't see why we did not zone for office space as well.

In this link you can see the quote by Nanci Klein of SJ Economic Development Department saying what I was fearing:

"We have so many people who live here who work in the East Bay or San Francisco, so it is fantastic to see BART definitely coming here," Klein said.

Anyways, let's move on. Hopefully Peery and N1 starts building next year so I can eat some crows...
bobby_guz_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #4207
bobby_guz_man

Quote:

Isn't this the lot where it's currently zoned for some "historical" bullshit-majig that can only hit 14 stories? The City better not fail us here.

Let them build tall!!!!!!
Old August 29th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #4208
robertee

Likes (Received): 1582

Quote:

Nice to have more info on this...I notice the app submission a few days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertee View Post
Just found this on the permits site :

It's for the Fountain Alley parking lot...I wonder if they finally managed to sell it to a developer?

ampheon liked this post
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #4209
robertee

Likes (Received): 1582

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Block 2 (between 1st and 2nd on San Fernando) and Block 8 (between Market and 1st on San Carlos) are the most annoying to me, both owned by Sobrato now. I swear at this rate it seems like they are going to wait until the economy goes south again before they even have plans.
They also own the parking lot next to The 88.
robertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #4210
SJSharks DowntownGuy
Go Sharks!!

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:

I like the fact that BSB is not in the equation here. Their proposal was under 200 units for two towers, and now they're talking 300-400 units? 24 stories? I'm sure they won't hit that because of the historical district, but it will still be better than anything BSB does.

Also 20K+ sqft of retail? That's directly across from the old Zanottos, still empty, and the building on the other side of the Improve, also empty. Still good to see action from big real estate companies outside of San Jose.
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #4211
bobby_guz_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks DowntownGuy View Post
and now they're talking 300-400 units? 24 stories? I'm sure they won't hit that because of the historical district,
The City cannot simply zone for higher? What is this "historical district" stuff anyway? Must the City abide by it?
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #4212
leaningfizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Yeah, I think the SoFA lot is the worst. It bugs the hell out of me that one of the more vibrant parts of downtown has such a massive cement desert right in the middle of it. Does anyone here know what that block looked like before San Jose decided to tear everything down back in the day? Was there housing, or retail, or was it always pretty vacant?

Also, we all know that downtown used to have some major department stores, but where were they located, and are the buildings still there today? It's hard to find info on it, but I've always been curious.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #4213
loldawg

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Also, we all know that downtown used to have some major department stores, but where were they located, and are the buildings still there today? It's hard to find info on it, but I've always been curious.

Try this awesome collection - https://www.google.com/culturalinsti...story-san-jose

leaningfizz liked this post
loldawg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #4214
leaningfizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldawg View Post
Thank you! I saw that gallery before but had no idea where or how to find it again. Some of those pictures make me sad. That picture of the president at St. James Park, surrounded by those lovely Victorian buildings, is especially depressing. It was inevitable that downtown would lose some of its businesses, but it's a damn shame that so many of those buildings were turned into parking lots.
Old August 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #4215
quadshock

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by loldawg View Post
Whoa, the old city hall looks awesome. I liked the current hall too, but wish that building was repurposed
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #4216
cardinal2007

Quote:
Thank you! I saw that gallery before but had no idea where or how to find it again. Some of those pictures make me sad. That picture of the president at St. James Park, surrounded by those lovely Victorian buildings, is especially depressing. It was inevitable that downtown would lose some of its businesses, but it's a damn shame that so many of those buildings were turned into parking lots.
I have a book by Arcadia Publishing, "San Jose's Historic Downtown" in the latter part of the book there are some historic arial photographs and you can see in the 1940 pictures downtown is full, and mostly built up on 1st street with 3-4 story buildings for the most part, and 2 story buildings everywher else, with a few historic highrises, but the 1970 photographs now have 280 and the 87 is starting to get land cleared out, but downtown east of Market is mostly surface parking lots and a few 2 story buildings, there are some highrise buildings in the new superblock between Market and Almaden Blvd, a street that was smaller in 1940, and the Adobe HQ lot is empty, and the lot with the banks on Almaden was empty as well. By 1981 the situation is not much better with the parking lots.
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #4217
pesto

Likes (Received): 4166

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
1. The 95131 ZIP does not provide a cheap alternative to Oakland for the people who work there, which is not a huge amount to begin with. The hour-plus commute, which is bad enough from Fremont and even worse to SF, is no more enticing than the cost of living.

2. Berryessa will become the nearest BART station to Silicon Valley jobs, and shuttles will inevitably fill the extra mile. Yes, that makes for a "transfer," and less appeal to riders, but keep in mind this is paralleling perhaps the worst commute in the region and another which is hardly pleasant (880 and 680 respectively).

3. That's just until developers wise up and see the benefit of having all resources near transit, assuming such will not happen before 2017 as is. With BART, it is very reasonable to think that surrounding industrial lots and low-density spaces will see more profitable potential uses, and thus be redeveloped. The current Flea Market parking lot is not the only space to fill, so who cares if housing is the first thing to pop up.
Agree, in general. THE transit paradigm in the Bay Area is rail with shuttle. This is the pattern with Caltrain all down the Peninsula and will also be used (presumably) for those areas of SJ and East Bay that get large-scale employment.

Of course, if you can find large tracts of land next to a train station, then so much the better. But this is far better used for housing since it is harder to organize shuttles from home to transit than from work to transit.

An all-transit model strikes me as improbable in an area with as low density as the South Bay will have for the next 30-50 years.

RaymondHood liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4218
cardinal2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Agree, in general. THE transit paradigm in the Bay Area is rail with shuttle. This is the pattern with Caltrain all down the Peninsula and will also be used (presumably) for those areas of SJ and East Bay that get large-scale employment.

Of course, if you can find large tracts of land next to a train station, then so much the better. But this is far better used for housing since it is harder to organize shuttles from home to transit than from work to transit.

An all-transit model strikes me as improbable in an area with as low density as the South Bay will have for the next 30-50 years.
The East Bay tends to deal with the first mile problem at BART by having park and ride lots, granted nowadays they all fill up and charge money for them, so it is not as useful as it could be, but that was the model since the beginning of BART, putting housing next to BART became more of a priority later, in the beginning people would drive to BART park and take the train to SF. The last mile problem ends up being a bigger issue than the first mile problem, since park and ride lots are common enough, and work well in low density areas.
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #4219
el_Fernando

Likes (Received): 22

Found an image (from 2009) on a rendering for the Fountain Alley lot. Anything would be better than the piss-smelling parking lot there. An apartment tower there would invigorate the entire street!

WRONG PICTURE removed

Quote:

Last edited by el_Fernando; August 30th, 2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Wrong rendering
el_Fernando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #4220
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Ah yes, 2009, before we accepted so many of those towers as vaporware...
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé