RECORD SHOPS : Shops that sell what is often now called "VINYL" - Newcastle and the North East - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #1
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

RECORD SHOPS : Shops that sell what is often now called "VINYL" - Newcastle and the North East

I see Zavvi have announced they are closing immediately another 15 stores in the UK - and surprise surprise one of them is Newcastle, Northumberland Street. So another prominent empty store in the city centre- I don't know how the owners of Monument Mall havent gone bust themselves- the mall is almost empty!
It probably goes without saying but their plans for a store in ES extension will be scrapped too.

Priceless shoes, also on Northumebrland Street looks like it will be closing down soon too.

If this recession deepens and is long the viability and vitality of our city centre will be severly damaged and the hard work to regenerate Newcastle into an attractive city centre will all be lost- whats the point of having new street furniture, new path foots and squares if everything around them are empty.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #2
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
I see Zavvi have announced they are closing immediately another 15 stores in the UK - and surprise surprise one of them is Newcastle, Northumberland Street. So another prominent empty store in the city centre- I don't know how the owners of Monument Mall havent gone bust themselves- the mall is almost empty!
It probably goes without saying but their plans for a store in ES extension will be scrapped too.

Priceless shoes, also on Northumebrland Street looks like it will be closing down soon too.

If this recession deepens and is long the viability and vitality of our city centre will be severly damaged and the hard work to regenerate Newcastle into an attractive city centre will all be lost- whats the point of having new street furniture, new path foots and squares if everything around them are empty.
You have to remember, this is happening to every city centre, infact it's even worse in places like Glasgow, I've been looking at their retail thread for a couple of weeks now, and it seems that everyday their is atleast one store closing down, it was only yesterday or the day before that someone said that twon or three shops were closing.

Anyway, maybe HMV maybe able to help us in music and such, I mean they have been saying that they are also going to focus on bringing performances to their stores in future, I have seen them do it Newcastle before, but the place is always so busy that their is hardly any room for people to move, maybe they may move or open another store in ES, HMV have always seemed to be able to buck the trend or internet downloading. I think it has just about had it's day, too many people are sick of virus's, not the right songs, long download ques, no lyrics to go with the songs, even iTunes is losing custom, people can buy a CD for the same price or oftern cheaper, and just transfer it onto iTunes player, most CD's have their own artwork and such on.

But by the time the recession is over, lots of people will be opening shops and such again, along with big retailers, I know I plan to when the recession ends.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

CHRISTMAS 1968.

Now for something 'completely different' in our look down MEMORY LANE in this Historic Newcastle thread. This photo is 'sadly historic' because it was taken of one of the displays in one of the "internal arcade" windows of Callers in 1968, exactly one year before it was destroyed by the big fire. But mainly (the reason I chose it) is because it very clearly shows, some . . .

Fabulous late-1960s Electrical "Music and Hi Fi" Goods
What we were all buying in home entertainment, back then!

1 - The TVs at either end, look very like some of the first 'Colour' TVs.
2 - At the front (just next to the left-hand TV) is the typical "reel to reel" Tape Recorder of the time. Most homes had one of those.
3 - There are a number of 'transistor radios', but the one that means something to ME, is the one nearest the front, on the left. That is a fantastic Bush/Murphy portable with a great (for its size) DEEP Bass Tone. I know that, because my older sisters boyfriend (at the time) had that exact one, and I ALWAYS wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Amazingly, about three years ago, there was one (in 'brand new' condition) for sale at Tynemouth Market . . so, I finally got my wish, as (of course) I had to buy it!
4 - In the middle (front) is one of the 'big' Hi-Fi sytems, of the day.
5 - At the back, of course, is one of the very expensive 'Radiograms' that some houses had (if you could afford one!)

One other thing I notice, is that (mostly) they are all made out of REAL solid wood!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

WINDOWS RECORD SHOP - CENTRAL ARCADE . . .

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Photos, showing one of Newcastle's oldest RECORD STORES . . . J G Windows, of Central Arcade.

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
How is Monument Mall directly connected to Fenwicks?, I don't see any connection to and from the mall into Fenwicks or vica versa.

The Mall is surrounded by Fenwicks, but it has no direct access to and from the store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
In the same way as Fenwicks just "knocked a hole in their wall" in 1976 to gain access to the Eldon Square mall that was built there right next to their shop, they did the same (again) in the 1990s, knocking a hole in their lower ground floor wall to get direct access to the (then) Monument Mall shopping mall.

Subsequently, the mall in that part of Monument Mall was 'annexed' by TK Maxx, to become part of their shop area, but the link to Fenwicks remained in situ.

The "Fenwicks entrance" to/from the MALL of Monument Mall, at Lower Ground/Metro Concourse level, is clearly shown in the below extracts from the original Monument Mall Brochure from when it opened in 1991, particularly on the 'Concourse Level' PLAN . . .

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #6
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 819

Thanks for that NH, it's interestig, it's also interesting to note that the Virgin/Zavvi store has only ever had one tennant, until now that is though.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Alderson & Brentnall Limited. Records for sale in 1971[/B]

Up at the 'top end' of Northumberland Street (the Haymarket end, near where Barclays Bank upstairs branch is) was a really great shop selling radios, hi-fi systems and musical instruments. This was, I remember, one of my father's favourite Newcastle shops. I inherited a few 1950s/1960s era items from him (such as an old wooden PYE 'Black Box', which we still proudly own) that he purchased at Alderson & Brentnall. The nearest 'type' of shop to it, that we have now, would be "Windows" in the Central Arcade.

Old February 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Yes fascinating to take a look back in time and try to picture some of those long gone shops. HMV took my eye, can recall their small record store at the bottom of Northumberland Street, pales when you consider their footprint there now ;-)

During my time living in London, one of my favourite regular shops was on Tottenham Court Road (a road leading off Oxford Street at the 'Centre Point' end) called "EMI Records and Tapes".

I think it was one of only a few of that brand.

Just a few years before the 1978 date of the above Northumberland Street shop plan, I was (by then back at home) quite excited to see in 1975, a small 'EMI Records and Tapes' suddenly open up at the bottom of Northumberland Street, in the corner of the then new 'Pearl Assurance Building'.

It was only called that for a few months, before changing its name, still as the same shop, to "HMV", as shown on the plan . . .

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamSoult View Post
Out of interest, where was the old Virgin in Eldon Square? I was aware that one had existed prior to Virgin taking over the former Woolworths/Next (now Peacocks) site, but not its location.

In 1986 Virgin Records were still in their Eldon Square location (per the 85/86 Map, below) which was on High Friars, virtually opposite WH Smith . . .

High Friars enlarged . .

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
alf stone

Likes (Received): 486

There have been several mentions of record shops on this thread but I canít remember any reference to Jeavons. When I first started work in the early 60s and had a bit of money in my pocket the Pudding Chare shop was one of my favourite haunts, listening to the latest pop songs through the earphones and later turning to the Jazz collection. I donít recall buying many but nobody seemed to care how many records you listened to. The shop itself was dingy and old fashioned like most of those on Pudding Chare, Woosters springs to mind, but the staff were real enthusiasts. I was a regular there until Singerís Sewing Machine shop next to Mark Toneyís on Grainger Street opened a record department and my friend landed the job of manager. He had a tremendous selection of Jazz albums which we used to spend Saturday afternoons listening to. When he left too seek his fortune in London we migrated to Windows in the Arcade. Jeavons also had a shop in Percy Street though I donít think I was ever in that branch.
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
There have been several mentions of record shops on this thread but I canít remember any reference to Jeavons. When I first started work in the early 60s and had a bit of money in my pocket the Pudding Chare shop was one of my favourite haunts, listening to the latest pop songs through the earphones and later turning to the Jazz collection. Jeavons also had a shop in Percy Street though I donít think I was ever in that branch.

It's the Percy Street shop that I remember the most, taken here in 1972 alongside a few other 'retail memories' from the 70s, at the Percy Street entrance to Handyside Arcade . .

image hosted on flickr

Photo courtesy of Newcastle City Council / City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/...bcf7e8aa_o.jpg
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:28 AM   #12
ferret88

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamSoult View Post
Thanks for this extra info! It seems that the building has had an even more complex history than I thought.

Out of interest, where was the old Virgin in Eldon Square? I was aware that one had existed prior to Virgin taking over the former Woolworths/Next (now Peacocks) site, but not its location.
I remember it had both floors but technically had three stories as it had a small part between floors that used to have videos in it in the late 80s. The larger first floor was records, posters etc and the smaller ground floor was CDs which were just becoming popular then.

The first floor site was where specsavers is now, next to Game.

As you can tell I used to frequent a lot of record shops in the late 80s!

F
ferret88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #13
GBDT

Likes (Received): 419

McKenzie Lilly

Quote:
In the 60s McKenzie Lilly was further up Grey Street near where Fitzgeralds is now. I found the address listed as 56 Grey Street in a directory of tobacconists for 1965. I don't remember them being ever on the corner though I did live away from the area during part of the relevant period. This is less clear but I do seem to remember them having moved to Moseley Street or possibly Collingwood Street and still managing to look as ancient as the Grey Street shop.
Alf,

McKenzie Lilly were definately in Mosley Street as these two photos show. Shop frontage looks good though

image hosted on flickr

Date 1996. ref 1149-0

image hosted on flickr

Date 1996. ref 1390-09-1996

All photos from P&T Image Archive, Newcastle City Council.
Extract of Archive hosted on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/4635432...7624600476732/

Also found this photo of ML in Grey Street!
image hosted on flickr

Date 1974. ref 182-02

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14
alf stone

GBDT, thanks for digging those photographs and proving that my memory hasn't gone completely.

Micro, I have mentioned Jeavons record store and Singers in Grainger Street which apart from selling sewing machines also had an excellent record department. I am sure others were mentioned but I can't recall the names.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM   #15
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
GBDT, thanks for digging those photographs and proving that my memory hasn't gone completely.

Micro, I have mentioned Jeavons record store and Singers in Grainger Street which apart from selling sewing machines also had an excellent record department. I am sure others were mentioned but I can't recall the names.
I remember even Callers had a record department in the 70s.
delicolor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Microkomputer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Well, my favourite record shop from my youth was Volume, at the end of Ridley Place. Not only is it closed down, it physically no longer exists - the building was flattened to make way for.... well - nothing, really; just an access road into Vine Lane.

Prior to it being Volume, it was called Listen Ear (which I don't think I remember), and before that, it was Newcastle's first branch of Virgin (too young to remember that).
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a photo of the shop for purposes of reminiscence, I'd love to see it.

Just for old time's sake, I'm now going to listen to the last piece of vinyl I bought from Volume. "Pioughd" by the Butthole Surfers, since you asked. Not their best work, true - but that's nostalgia for you.

Microkomputer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:44 PM   #17
alf stone

I am not sure if this a "retail memory" as the store concerned is one I never entered but I always remember Steel Wheels. I used to pass it regularly but was never tempted inside as it seemed a rockers place. I seem to recall it in two different locations, one near St. Mary's Cathedral, possibly Bewick Street and later in Moseley Street. Is my memory unreliable and does it still exist?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:56 PM   #18
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1217

Quote:
I am not sure if this a "retail memory" as the store concerned is one I never entered but I always remember Steel Wheels. I used to pass it regularly but was never tempted inside as it seemed a rockers place. I seem to recall it in two different locations, one near St. Mary's Cathedral, possibly Bewick Street and later in Moseley Street. Is my memory unreliable and does it still exist?
Aye. I went to the Cathedral one a bit, but.... still around.

http://www.steel-wheels.co.uk/

near the former Luckies [Five Sawns]
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:34 AM   #19
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microkomputer View Post
Well, my favourite record shop from my youth was Volume, at the end of Ridley Place. Not only is it closed down, it physically no longer exists - the building was flattened to make way for.... well - nothing, really; just an access road into Vine Lane.

Prior to it being Volume, it was called Listen Ear (which I don't think I remember), and before that, it was Newcastle's first branch of Virgin (too young to remember that).
I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a photo of the shop for purposes of reminiscence, I'd love to see it.

Just for old time's sake, I'm now going to listen to the last piece of vinyl I bought from Volume. "Pioughd" by the Butthole Surfers, since you asked. Not their best work, true - but that's nostalgia for you.
Re: First Virgin store, there was one at the bottom of Westgate Road - did that pre-date the one you are talking about? Did listen to Queen albums on big headphones there and bought David Bowie's American Man Who Sold The World album. Who'd have thought Virgin would spawn a global Richard Branson empire? Virgin Galactic?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:27 AM   #20
GBDT

Likes (Received): 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Re: First Virgin store, there was one at the bottom of Westgate Road - did that pre-date the one you are talking about? Did listen to Queen albums on big headphones there and bought David Bowie's American Man Who Sold The World album. Who'd have thought Virgin would spawn a global Richard Branson empire? Virgin Galactic?
Adrian,

remember a record shop at the bottom of Westgate Road in the early seventies. My memory thinks that it was called OZ or something like that. It was a short lived rival to Virgin. but i am ready to be corrected!

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
33s, 45s, albums, long playing records, music, music shops, newcastle, newcastle retail, record shops, records, retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, retailers, singles, vinyl