JEDDAH | Jeddah Tower | 1000m+ | 3281ft+ | 167 fl | On Hold - Page 930 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 11th, 2019, 03:25 PM   #18581
Twopsy

Likes (Received): 474

The problem is that in both countries it is not really possible for the press to report critically on those projects. Even Wikipedia does not accept the fact that those towers are on hold for over eight months now. The problem is that "original research" is forbidden on Wikipedia. That has the consequence that even if everybody can see from miles away, that nothing has changed, Wikipedia still demands an official source saying that the projects are on hold. That official source could of course not be found in Saudi Arabia or the UAE.

Western media on the other hand mostly just copy the official statements from the developers and do not really put any effort into digging deeper. They are just happy to have some "1-kilometre-tower"-headline as a click bait for their news websites. They really do a bad job when it comes to reporting about the possible future tallest buildings on earth.
Twopsy no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2019, 12:23 AM   #18582
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 38194

Parroting is an annoying problem with news outlets today, especially with regards to social media. It propagates fake news and finding original sources can become a game of telephone. We'll stick to calling this On Hold until we get photo evidence that work on the tower itself, not the surrounding area, resumes. A lot of outlets are probably calling this U/C based on the surrounding work on utilities and infrastructure that is only tangibly related to the tower.
Hudson11 no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:39 AM   #18583
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 6208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
A lot of outlets are probably calling this U/C based on the surrounding work on utilities and infrastructure that is only tangibly related to the tower.
And that's the serious outlets. A lot of outlets are probably calling this U/C because one of their writers just recently came across a picture of the tower from 2015. Or even just a render.

The-Real-Link, Daniel2011, TallBox liked this post
Kyll.Ing. no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2019, 07:04 PM   #18584
CarlitosPanz

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyll.Ing. View Post
Nope. The foundations and support structure already in place for Jeddah Tower physically cannot support a structure as tall as the foundations in place for Dubai Creek Tower. There is no practical way to add that much height to Jeddah Tower without tearing it down, digging up the old foundations and building entirely new ones (and by that point, it'd be much, much cheaper to just find a new site and building it there instead, so they wouldn't have to tear down anything). The DCT foundations were built to the specifications of a 1300 m tower, the Jeddah Tower foundations were built to the specifications of a 1000 m tower. The height difference is too big to be made up with the existing structure of Jeddah Tower as a basis.

That being said, in practice, Jeddah Tower might end up at a taller final height (~280 m) than Dubai Creek Tower (~0 m).
As I have said before, the main problem with tall structures is not the weight as much as the side loads, as the whole building works against the wind as a cantilever fixed to the ground.
So, technically itís possible to increase the height over 1,300m if they simply make it lighter and solve the side effects by letting the wind pass through.
Obviously, this is a big simplification, as they are a lot of other problems to solve. But, in theory, such a height increase, building over whatís already done without any modification, is possible.

But I think all of us will be happy if they just manage to end it as planned.

Daniel2011 liked this post
CarlitosPanz no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2019, 07:00 PM   #18585
Khotso

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamcl View Post
GOOD NEWS!

The CEO of Kingdom Holding Company (KHC) in a CNN interview said :

The constructions works will be back within 6 months.
Also, The Infrastructure work is ongoing and will be finished in March 2019.

Interview link: https://edition.cnn.com/videos/busin...usiness-davos/
Body-language experts could use that video as an example, how it looks when someone is lying.

Dave H, city of the future, k%, Daniel2011 liked this post
Khotso no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2019, 02:50 PM   #18586
Investor254

Likes (Received): 285

Seems the project stalled
Investor254 no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #18587
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 4588

Your bet please:

What will be finished first? A 600m+ skyscraper outside of Shanghai in China or this tower?

Tom_Green no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:28 PM   #18588
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 11233

There is already a skyscraper above 600m outside of China. In Mecca.

RafiAnsari, A Chicagoan liked this post
KlausDiggy está en línea ahora  
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #18589
JorgenHans
BANNED

Likes (Received): 349

Muhammed Bin Salman is planning a 500 Billion Dollar City called NEOM, a new Dubai.

The Jeddah Tower should be built there also located on the Red Sea.

KlausDiggy, matsoc, Daniel2011 liked this post
JorgenHans no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:48 PM   #18590
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 4588

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
There is already a skyscraper above 600m outside of China. In Mecca.
I mean in China but outside of Shanghai.

Tom_Green no está en línea  
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #18591
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 3570

With megatall projects getting height cuts when they're already above 450 or 500m in construction you just never know when the next megatall will happen until construction literally passes 600m. Even at 599m it can still be cut to below megatall.

Hudson11, matsoc, Daniel2011, A Chicagoan liked this post
droneriot no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:13 AM   #18592
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 445

It's almost like they're wishing (perhaps) that they could have the partially built Jeddah tower in Neom instead of in Jeddah. But can't move it now ;p. Still sad to see this on hold but is what it is.
The-Real-Link no está en línea  
Old February 23rd, 2019, 01:48 AM   #18593
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 6208

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ4LIFE View Post
will this be finished next year?
Not even the slightest chance. Even if they picked up their tools right now and had the entire site in full swing tomorrow morning, they could not get it finished in 22 months.

Kyll.Ing. no está en línea  
Old February 23rd, 2019, 04:49 AM   #18594
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 7205

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ4LIFE View Post
will this be finished next year?
It's finished now. In fact it's been "finished" for months.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 03:31 PM   #18595
fayzoon
Fayez

Likes (Received): 2577

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
It's almost like they're wishing (perhaps) that they could have the partially built Jeddah tower in Neom instead of in Jeddah. But can't move it now ;p. Still sad to see this on hold but is what it is.
JT is estimated to cost 1.23 billion dollars. Neom is worth around 500 billion dollars and still in preparation stage. If this is going to be the real cost or even half of it, they don't need to cry, because they can build a lot of megatalls in there with no problem

The-Real-Link, Daniel2011 liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:15 AM   #18596
Sukaitsuri
スカイツリー

Likes (Received): 102

Hi ! I haven't visited the forum for a while (one year) and I am quite surprised to see the current status of the megatalls under construction.

Sorry if it may sound off-topic; but I notice that most of the megatalls that were planned in the late 2010s - early 2020s are on hold, or even cancelled.

Jeddah tower = on hold, it's almost the same height as when I last visited the forum
Dubai creek tower = on hold (apparently)
Wuhan greenland center = the planned height has been reduced to a "supertall"
Bangkok Rama tower = on hold
Tianjin 117 tower = seems like it's on hold, or progressing very slowly

And correct me if I'm wrong, but there were several other megatalls planned in China... and I see that no one of them is "under construction" in the list.

It's really surprising because the last time I visited the forum, I felt like there was an optimistic atmosphere in the world of skyscrapers... And now it seems like something has discouraged many companies to build their megatalls.

Is this related to something? Should we expect an imminent global economic crisis, or something like that?

Daniel2011, Pleiades, Khotso liked this post
Sukaitsuri no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #18597
Memo840
Chilango Mango ;)

Likes (Received): 376

You might be interested in this article, Jeddah tower is still in the run apparently. But I think not only do they talk about JT, but also several other massive projects such as Neom, solar plants, residential, etc.

https://www.constructionweekonline.c...ojects-of-2019

Daniel2011, Hamcl, Pleiades liked this post
Memo840 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2019, 02:08 AM   #18598
U_H_E_I_D

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
...correct me if I'm wrong, but there were several other megatalls planned in China... and I see that no one of them is "under construction" in the list.
It's really surprising because the last time I visited the forum, I felt like there was an optimistic atmosphere in the world of skyscrapers... And now it seems like something has discouraged many companies to build their megatalls.
Is this related to something? Should we expect an imminent global economic crisis, or something like that?
I can only tell you about an additional one (half-joking) reason for the downturn: the developers are probably still hoping to recover their investments stuck in cryptocurrencies, only to find out that BTC will lose 50% this year, and then 75+% of what will be left of it.

Last edited by Gabriel900; February 26th, 2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: insulting
U_H_E_I_D no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2019, 10:28 AM   #18599
wewillwin98

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_H_E_I_D View Post
Welcome to the club! Some extremely angry moderator forbids us to mention the reasons for the recession. If I name the exact reason, he will brig me for 2 weeks again.
I can only tell you about an additional one (half-joking) reason for the downturn: the developers are probably still hoping to recover their investments stuck in cryptocurrencies, only to find out that BTC will lose 50% this year, and then 75+% of what will be left of it.
So higher bitcoin price means higher skyscrapers and lower price shorter skyscrper this doesnt make sence since like bitcoin was high only for 1 month and they really dont use it yet you cant pay the workers with bitcoin right?
wewillwin98 no está en línea  
Old February 26th, 2019, 03:56 PM   #18600
U_H_E_I_D

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wewillwin98 View Post
So higher bitcoin price means higher skyscrapers and lower price shorter skyscrper this doesnt make sence since like bitcoin was high only for 1 month and they really dont use it yet you cant pay the workers with bitcoin right?
The overall capitalization of the entire market of cryptocurrencies was trillions. 1 month of hyper-fast growths was enough for too many companies to get tempted, and to put most of the available funds in it. Now those who conceived and fueled that hype are playing a game of such scale you won't believe.

Last edited by Gabriel900; February 26th, 2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: insult
U_H_E_I_D no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
hypertall, jeddah economic city, jeddah tower, kingdom tower, megatall, tallest