Hull City Centre - Retail - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #121
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 24

I'd much rather look at the steel and glass of Princes Quay than the concrete of Primark hiding behind. But i realize that all the hype that must have surrounded it when it was opened has long since gone and i find the fact that it was built without an anchor department store rather surprising. Maybe if there had been a large Debenhams on the southern side it would have helped it more in the long term. I still think the exterior has aged well considering its nearing 20 years since completion and fits well into the waterfront setting.
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #122
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 884

I too think that the exterior has aged well in the main, but the car park is butt ugly from the marina.

I think I'm one of the few people on planet earth who really likes the primark building. A classic of it's type if you ask me. There is a photo of it somewhere on here as viewed from princes dock pre-pq when it was wallis ludlow.
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #123
acwalby

Likes (Received): 1

I also think the exterior of Princes Quay has aged well. Yes it could do with a good clean and some minor updating but it still looks great when the sun is shining

For some reason there is something about the Primark building that appeals to me. I don't know what or why as I would normally hate such a building!
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #124
livin' hull

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by up the tigers View Post
I'd much rather look at the steel and glass of Princes Quay than the concrete of Primark hiding behind.
completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by up the tigers View Post
find the fact that it was built without an anchor department store rather surprising. Maybe if there had been a large Debenhams on the southern side it would have helped it more in the long term.
erm, what about Alders? which was the anchor department store closed down, and was empty until Primark took over the site...

and the Willis Ludlows (aka Alders/Primark) building certainly looks better now its clean and been given a coat of paint!
livin' hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #125
up the tigers

Usually an anchor department store is located so that it draws shoppers the full length of the centre in order to get there. I think that Boots was the main anchor of the Prospect centre and was put at the northern end to attract shoppers right to the end of the centre. Same with Tescos in St Stephens.

Primark, then Willis Ludlow, was already there before Princes Quay so i doubt it would have acted as a proper anchor store, despite Alders and Willis Ludlow being actual department stores which Primark isnt. As a result you can go in Primark without having to set foot in Princes Quay itself.

I too agree about the appearance of Primark. When it was converted 5 years ago it was scrubbed up quite well and certainly looks good despite its age. However I still wouldnt have liked it facing onto Princes Dock.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM   #126
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Hull BID's new manager has high hopes for city centre
Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:30
Comment on this story

The new manager of Hull BID has vowed to carry on the organisation's ongoing work to improve Hull city centre.

Kathryn Shillito has stepped up from project manager to her new role after Ken Baldwin announced his retirement.

Ms Shillito will take the reigns when Mr Baldwin leaves in March and she expressed her excitement by the challenges ahead.

She said: "I want to build on the excellent work established by Hull BID (Business Improvement District)

"We have made a lot of inroads in improving the city centre and the economy.

"Ken has left an excellent legacy and I hope all we have achieved will put is in good stead.

"We have helped put on a lot of good events in the city centre which has attracted footfall.

"We are also introducing a new unified radio security system to improve safety in the city.

"We are also proud of our role in helping clean up the area and there is hardly any graffiti in the city centre now.

"I hope to build on all this and I will get out and speak to business to find out what the challenges are and to assist them."

Chief executive of Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce and Hull BID board member Dr Ian Kelly is delighted with the appointment.

He said: "We think BID is making a really positive contribution to improving the city centre.

"Ken has done three good years foundation work and Kathryn has been working with him.

"We are confident she will guide BID through the next ballot phase in early 2011.

"She has a very friendly, positive approach to working with businesses and has impressed all our partners with her capacity to get things done."

Mr Baldwin has been in charge of Hull Bid since 2006 and has overseen significant changes in Hull.

His brief was to improve every aspect of Hull city centre, including the economy, environment, safety and security.

After announcing his retirement earlier this year, he told the Mail: "Probably the best part was setting up the Bid back in 2006.

"It's been rewarding in lots of different ways.

"When I look around the city centre now I'm pleased to be a part of how it has changed.

Hull City Centre Bid Ltd is a not-for-profit partnership led by local businesses and hosted by the Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce.

It has been running for three years with support from the public sector, including Hull City Council, Humberside Police, Hull Citybuild and Hull College.

Ms Shillito's post carries a salary of about £40,000.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #127
acwalby

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
Hull BID's new manager has high hopes for city centre
Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:30
Comment on this story

The new manager of Hull BID has vowed to carry on the organisation's ongoing work to improve Hull city centre.

Kathryn Shillito has stepped up from project manager to her new role after Ken Baldwin announced his retirement.

Ms Shillito will take the reigns when Mr Baldwin leaves in March and she expressed her excitement by the challenges ahead.

She said: "I want to build on the excellent work established by Hull BID (Business Improvement District)

"We have made a lot of inroads in improving the city centre and the economy.

"Ken has left an excellent legacy and I hope all we have achieved will put is in good stead.

"We have helped put on a lot of good events in the city centre which has attracted footfall.

"We are also introducing a new unified radio security system to improve safety in the city.

"We are also proud of our role in helping clean up the area and there is hardly any graffiti in the city centre now.

"I hope to build on all this and I will get out and speak to business to find out what the challenges are and to assist them."

Chief executive of Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce and Hull BID board member Dr Ian Kelly is delighted with the appointment.

He said: "We think BID is making a really positive contribution to improving the city centre.

"Ken has done three good years foundation work and Kathryn has been working with him.

"We are confident she will guide BID through the next ballot phase in early 2011.

"She has a very friendly, positive approach to working with businesses and has impressed all our partners with her capacity to get things done."

Mr Baldwin has been in charge of Hull Bid since 2006 and has overseen significant changes in Hull.

His brief was to improve every aspect of Hull city centre, including the economy, environment, safety and security.

After announcing his retirement earlier this year, he told the Mail: "Probably the best part was setting up the Bid back in 2006.

"It's been rewarding in lots of different ways.

"When I look around the city centre now I'm pleased to be a part of how it has changed.

Hull City Centre Bid Ltd is a not-for-profit partnership led by local businesses and hosted by the Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce.

It has been running for three years with support from the public sector, including Hull City Council, Humberside Police, Hull Citybuild and Hull College.

Ms Shillito's post carries a salary of about £40,000.
Perhaps he can start by cleaning it up. The city centre looks more dirty and run down every week.

Jameson Street, King Edward Street, Queen Victoria Square and Whitefriargate are very dirty and looking pretty run down.

I find it all rather depressing.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM   #128
Digital09

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwalby View Post
Perhaps he can start by cleaning it up. The city centre looks more dirty and run down every week.

Jameson Street, King Edward Street, Queen Victoria Square and Whitefriargate are very dirty and looking pretty run down.

the new manager is female. I'm a bit unsure on the whole BID idea to be honest, as cleaning, street maintenance should be done by the council, using the already substantial tax revenue. It shouldn't need shopkeepers paying even more 'tax'.

also the BID's record of putting on events have been mixed. This years german xmas market had to be moved from queens gardens due to poor attendence...the big wheel the other year didn't materialise at last minute...so I'd question its effectiveness.
Digital09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:40 PM   #129
up the tigers

I do wish the BID would do something more than just painting the bollards, which are the originals from when the city centre was pedestrianised way back in the late 80s. I know they have a restricted budget but if they cant do any large scale improvements then they could at least remove all the chewing gum. I've heard nothing about this special coating they were going to apply that would make removing it easier. I thought that when they did Whitefriargate about a year ago it was in order to test the special coating but it doesnt look like it. Now its alomost as bad as it was before.

I know they do a lot behind the scenes with different businesses but its the actual visual improvements that vistors will judge the city on and I can think of anything significant in that area that the BID has accomplished over the past 3 years. I dont think visitors to Hull will go away thinking the German Market was much either. Thats with the exception of window displays on empty units which has definately improved the appearance of Whitefriargate and Saville Street, if they dont get torn down like the ones in the Ferensway Argos.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #130
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwalby View Post

It's been worse in years gone by. Far worse.
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #131
acwalby

What is the point in BID?

I have not seen one single improvement in the city centre since it was set up. It's still dirty, littered with rubbish, full of empty units and dull (especially in winter).

Painting a few bollards and putting up posters in empty units hasn't exactly changed the look and feel of the place.

The basics are not getting done.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #132
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital09 View Post
the new manager is female. I'm a bit unsure on the whole BID idea to be honest, as cleaning, street maintenance should be done by the council, using the already substantial tax revenue. It shouldn't need shopkeepers paying even more 'tax'.

also the BID's record of putting on events have been mixed. This years german xmas market had to be moved from queens gardens due to poor attendence...the big wheel the other year didn't materialise at last minute...so I'd question its effectiveness.
Nwcastle got the go ahead for a similar scheme last year and is due to start fully this year. It was given with the full backing of not only local business's but national ones aswell. It really now means that the city can have multiple deep cleans, removing more things like chewing gum, graffiti, grime on buildings etc, aswell as hopefully opening an maitaining more public areas.

Their is only so much st cleaning and such you can do through regular taxes, and without the extra money your not going to be able to get a load of guys jet wash pavements, walls and buildings thoughout the year. It really is a good idea and makes cities look alot nicer. Don't knock the idea.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #133
LackofColour

Likes (Received): 0

you're missing the point, we've had this scheme for 3 years now and have had little visual improvement on the streets.
LackofColour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #134
Digital09

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Nwcastle got the go ahead for a similar scheme last year and is due to start fully this year. It was given with the full backing of not only local business's but national ones aswell. It really now means that the city can have multiple deep cleans, removing more things like chewing gum, graffiti, grime on buildings etc, aswell as hopefully opening an maitaining more public areas.

Their is only so much st cleaning and such you can do through regular taxes, and without the extra money your not going to be able to get a load of guys jet wash pavements, walls and buildings thoughout the year. It really is a good idea and makes cities look alot nicer. Don't knock the idea.
as the above said, we have seen very tangible benefits of the scheme

I do not knock the idea in principle. The idea of businesses 'clubbing together' to improve the area they do business in is one I support. We have seen little to no difference in the number of shops being let, cleanliness of public areas etc the only thing I think they've improved is the recent covering up of empty shop fronts in Whitefrigate...and even that is something the council could have easily done on their own.
Digital09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #135
up the tigers

Not the right thread but continuing with the topic of the BID and lack of action. It seems theres been more excavations going on down Carr Lane and instead of replacing the bricks they are just tarmacing it over. Its making Carr Lane look even worse as its looked a right mess for years. Its not a danger or a hazard but the state of the road infront of Princes Quay looks awful. Dont the BID have any say when the public realm is being ruined like this. They could at least return when the work has been done and repair it the right way.
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #136
acwalby

I'm starting to think the BID, at least in Hull's case, is just one big con.

£40,000 (and the rest) a year for doing nothing? Good work if you can get it.

I'd also add that it's very easy for anyone to say they're doing work behind the scenes. How the hell do we know that?

It's nothing more than an old excuse used by politicians and other such people.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #137
Dazzar86

Likes (Received): 27

I can see positives with Hull BID, as there is barely any graffiti in the city centre anymore - used to be LOADS! chewing gum is still a massive issue though. This weekend I noticed how, since the rain and cold weather, all under the shelter of the interchange, it's become covered in gum. Even lowgate has become covered in gum. It need sorting.

The thing is, it looks worse than ever at the moment as they probably don't spend as much money on cleaning the city centre at this time of year due to the elements making it hard to upkeep. Lots of rain = wet mud sticking to peoples feet along with mucky pavements washing up mud and grime e.t.c. and it spreads due to people walking about. With it raining a lot, it'll only take a few days to undo all the hard work someone has just put in cleaning the city centre up.

I saw the advertisment for the Hull BID manager's position. If I wasn't inexperienced, I think I'd have applied for it. Lack of experience maybe, but I'd have used passion and creativity instead.

I have a few ideas I might Email Hull BID;

1. scent sticks/balls on lamp posts on routes like Jameson St when the sewers smell.
2. Contemporary bins - funky bins which may encourage people into wanting to use them
3. New exciting ways of disgarding chewing gum, like gum targets and see-through gum-dispensers, which could be used to make a giant gum-ball. Trying to make it bigger would encourage people to add their gum to it.
4. Utilising Queen Vic square to better uses.
5. Modernised planting, making the centre greener, but in a stylish contemporary fashion.
6. Looking at extending pedestrianised areas.
7. Carr Lane clean up, namely the road! it's a patch-work quilt!
8. Bluetooth bus shelters - which give out free info on upcoming events in the city such as gigs, plays at the theatres, comedy acts, dine week e.t.c.
9. Shop front competition.
It's a bit like scores on the doors, but companies are rewarded for keeping their properties clean and tidy along with updating/upgarding their shop fronts - the winner each year gets an award and a page write up in the HDM.
Dazzar86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #138
acwalby

The outside of the Interchange is dirty and littered with rubbish throughout the year, not just winter. It can be especially bad some days.

Some of the tiles appear to be falling apart as well.
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #139
LackofColour

Likes (Received): 0

Cult have just started fitting out their unit with a targeted easter opening.
LackofColour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #140
Pippin0490

Likes (Received): 8

ST Stephen's ground floor will be fully let in April

ST Stephen's shopping centre's ground floor will be fully let in April after two new tenants were signed.

The latest additions at the Ferensway centre include a toy retailer and Hull's first 24 hour gym.

It means the main retail floor of St Stephen's will be fully let for the first time since the landmark development opened in 2007.

One of the new tenants is The Entertainer – the UK's largest independent toy retailer – which is set to open in a 4,000sq ft shop unit, located between Argos and TK Maxx, around Easter.

In another coup, a deal has been negotiated with Fit24, which has taken a 15,000sq ft outlet, set to open by April.

Centre manager Jim Harris said securing the new tenants was testimony to hard work and strong footfall figures at St Stephen's – with just under nine million people passing through the development last year, seven per cent up on 2008.

He said: "These deals principally came out of the success we had in the autumn.

"Tenants like to have successful schemes in successful cities and 2009 has been a fantastic year for the city and a strong year for St Stephen's.

"When the scheme opened there were 12 units let, including Tesco, but now the ground floor is completely full, which is fantastic."

He added: "You don't get anything for nothing and we have worked very hard to attract tenants."

The two new tenants come only three weeks after the Mail exclusively revealed fashion store Cult Clothing, whose Superdry brand boasts celebrity fans including David Beckham, is set to open at St Stephen's after Easter.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html
Advertisement

Tags
retail, retail - ne england, retail - north east, shopping