NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT - Cinemas, Sports (non-football) & Leisure, Special Events, other Entertainment Venues, etc - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #101
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Yup and you could go to the flicks, get some popcorn and pop and still have change out of a tanner
I went to the cinema yesterday (Coriolanus, very good). I didn't get any change from a tenner and that was only for the ticket... To put things in perspective, they were selling tickets to see Michael Sheen in Hamlet for the same price. What's happened to cinema?!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #102
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1213

No wonder 'knock off nigel' DVD sales are so high. I had a similar ruck with the Tyne Cinema. Feature to start at 8. Credits roll at 8.40. 20 quid for Mrs NP and I [including a coke]. Not 'appy. Got some guff from theatre - we use the ads to keep our ticket prices lowest in town.... really.... is that why the gate was cheaper?
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #103
cranfan

Likes (Received): 70

I remember one of the incarnations of the "old" cinema at the Metro (AMC?) made something of the fact that they didn't show ads (you'd get some trailers mind, but you could still expect the feature to start only about 10 mins later than advertised). I hope this innovation will be rediscovered sometime.

In the same vein, a well-done knockoff DVD will be better than the retail product, as the conscientious knockoff artist will have removed the normally unskippable adverts from it.

Another way we can drive people away from the cinema is by showing you advertisements. -- Monty Python 1970 : plus ça change
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM   #104
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Oh one more thing, I can remember before the cinema at Manors used to be there, then it being new, and now it's part of Northumbria Uni.
So can I (no shock seeing as I live a 5 minute walk away). Quite sad to think that I grew up exactly at the same time as it and saw loads of films there through my childhood. Happy days.

Now I'm more likely to be found across the road supping a pint.
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #105
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Fight on to save Eldon Square bowling club
by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle, December 16th 2011

Anthony McKenna, of the council's environment and regeneration directorate,
at the indoor bowling centre in Eldon Square

NEWCASTLE’S most popular bowling green could be saved from closure.

The indoor bowling green at the city’s Eldon Square is earmarked for the chop as part of cost-cutting council plans. But now a meeting between the green’s committee members and council chiefs has hinted that the facility could stay open after all. The green, used by some 300 members and hundreds more guests, is under threat along with five other Tyneside bowling clubs, yet to be nominated.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1ghecBck9

Members fight to save Eldon Square bowling club
by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle, February 9th 2012

PLANS to axe Tyneside’s biggest bowling club are being challenged by hundreds of loyal members. The indoor bowling green in Newcastle’s Eldon Square, is earmarked for the chop as part of cost-cutting plans.

The green’s committee are pleading to keep their beloved club open and the council has pledged to listen, after hearing how the closure would affect some 300 members and hundreds of other regular bowlers – many of them senior citizens.

A statement from the committee said: “We realise the pressure to make service reductions the council is under, but feel their argument is outweighed by other factors.”

The green is under threat as part of a shake-up of bowling facilities in the region. Five other clubs, yet to be nominated, could close and surviving clubs are to be hit with a hike in annual green fees from around £600 to £1,200 next year and then up to £1,900 in 2013 and £2,500 in 2014.

The city council’s head of leisure, Tony McKenna, said: “We are still consulting on our budget for next year and decisions on that will be taken at cabinet on February 22 and full council in early March. We are keen to secure and sustain all leisure and sports facilities in the city.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1lw3BXFeP

Earlier in this thread, I also posted this extract from the "Eldon Square Recreation Centre" opening brochure, from 1976.

The bowling club is located within this leisure complex, which is now known as "Eldon Leisure" . . .

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #106
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicolor View Post
What ever happened to the 70s Newcastle Festival? It was quite arty with book signings etc. and I assume it morphed into something else. It was certainly running in 1975 and 1976 and involved the City Hall as one of the venues (and the Centre Hotel) but I can't recall much about it other than two particular Gigs- David Kossoff (dad of Paul, who had died a few months before, he told bible stories to kiddiwinkies) and Morecambe & Wise. The latter had a lot more bums on seats than the former!
The Newcastle Festival was produced by the City Council's 'Events Department' which were based in College Street. The events they produced included the regular Newcastle Jazz Festival and other local events such as the Jesmond Festival.

There were funding cuts.

The Senior Officer in the 70's went on to produce large-scale Festivals in London and elsewhere, and the Senior Officer in the 80's went on to develop a successful large-scale Fireworks event company.
A few staff in other departments were able to work on subsequent events on extremely reduced budgets; sometimes with the full support of other departments and agencies (such as BBC Sound City Newcastle 1998, and without that support (BBC Radio 1 Love Parade 2001).
Please PM me if you really wish contacts.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicolor View Post
What ever happened to the 70s Newcastle Festival? It was quite arty with book signings etc. and I assume it morphed into something else. It was certainly running in 1975 and 1976 and involved the City Hall as one of the venues (and the Centre Hotel) but I can't recall much about it other than two particular Gigs- David Kossoff (dad of Paul, who had died a few months before, he told bible stories to kiddiwinkies) and Morecambe & Wise. The latter had a lot more bums on seats than the former!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
The Newcastle Festival was produced by the City Council's 'Events Department' which were based in College Street. The events they produced included the regular Newcastle Jazz Festival and other local events such as the Jesmond Festival.

There were funding cuts.

The Senior Officer in the 70's went on to produce large-scale Festivals in London and elsewhere, and the Senior Officer in the 80's went on to develop a successful large-scale Fireworks event company.
A few staff in other departments were able to work on subsequent events on extremely reduced budgets; sometimes with the full support of other departments and agencies (such as BBC Sound City Newcastle 1998, and without that support (BBC Radio 1 Love Parade 2001).
Please PM me if you really wish contacts.

I have quite a few of the programmes/brochures from many of the "Newcastle Festivals". I remember thinking that, like the TSE (Tyneside Summer Exhibition) because they were so firmly established, they would always be there. Sadly not!

If anyone wants any specific information about what events/artists etc, were on at which specific festival, just ask. I may well be able to provide it . . .

1975 and 1976 . .

1977 and 1978 . .

1979, 1980 and 1982 . .

1983 and (Jazz Festival) 1984 . .
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #108
Steve Ellwood
Part Time Contributor

Likes (Received): 4778

Quote:
Members fight to save Eldon Square bowling club
by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle, February 9th 2012

PLANS to axe Tyneside’s biggest bowling club are being challenged by hundreds of loyal members. The indoor bowling green in Newcastle’s Eldon Square, is earmarked for the chop as part of cost-cutting plans.

The green’s committee are pleading to keep their beloved club open and the council has pledged to listen, after hearing how the closure would affect some 300 members and hundreds of other regular bowlers – many of them senior citizens.

A statement from the committee said: “We realise the pressure to make service reductions the council is under, but feel their argument is outweighed by other factors.”

The green is under threat as part of a shake-up of bowling facilities in the region. Five other clubs, yet to be nominated, could close and surviving clubs are to be hit with a hike in annual green fees from around £600 to £1,200 next year and then up to £1,900 in 2013 and £2,500 in 2014.

The city council’s head of leisure, Tony McKenna, said: “We are still consulting on our budget for next year and decisions on that will be taken at cabinet on February 22 and full council in early March. We are keen to secure and sustain all leisure and sports facilities in the city.”
A follow up to this story in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 22nd February 2012 - courtesy of NCJMedia Ltd.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #109
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Tyneside Cinema to celebrate 75th birthday with 75p films
The Journal, April 27th 2012

A CITY CENTRE CINEMA will celebrate its 75th birthday by showing some of the best films of the 75 years, at a cost of just 75p each. Newcastle’s Tyneside Cinema will be showing 30 films over the weekend of May 26 and 27 that have been voted for by its patrons.

Shown over a 25-hour period will be films including Martin Scorsese’s Goodfellas, the once-banned A Clockwork Orange and the spaghetti western, Once Upon a Time in the West. Cult classics such as The Wicker Man, Reservoir Dogs and The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert will also be shown along with a selection of foreign language films that includes German classic The Lives of Others, Spanish thriller Volver and Japanese horror film Audition.

Jonny Tull, cinema programme manager for the Tyneside Cinema said: “When we asked cinema-goers to tell us their favourite films of the last 75 years, they certainly didn’t disappoint.

The films will be shown at the Tyneside’s three theatres over a 25-hour period, starting at 10pm on May 26 and continuing through the night until 11pm the next day. Tickets for all films are just 75p each and will go on sale from Monday.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1tEAAYHaY
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM   #110
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 96

Jesmond Festival

Following on from the references above to the former Jesmond Festivals, it should be noted that in its newer incarnation, the 2012 Jesmond Festival is now underway.

Listing here : www.jesmondfestival.org.uk.

A video of the Parade which launches the Festival by Ken Slater can be seen here on YouTube :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6bs7Fg9U8

Its produced entirely by local people and runs until May 13th.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 1st, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: YouTube Screen
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #111
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4035

Trinity Square redevelopment, Gateshead - proposed cinema etc

A proposal is currently undergoing decision making at Gateshead Council for the following

DC/12/00356/FUL

Erection of a multiplex cinema (use class D2 Assembly and Leisure) and retail/restaurant units (use classes A1/A3) at Trinity Square, Gateshead (additional info received 11/04/12 and 17/04/12).

TESCO STORES LTD Ellison Street Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 1BU

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=M1DRNPHK3Y000

The screen print copy below ( hosted on Photobucket) is one of 4 elevations on e plan on http://cominoweb.gateshead.gov.uk/Pl...Documents.page of the planning application documentation

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #112
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 381

A cinema in Gateshead would be great, if it was cheap enough it could be good competition to the Empire too which is way over priced.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #113
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Would it be used that much? Don't people just go to Metro Centre or Empire? I don't think Empire is too expensive compared to others, especially with their Tuesday offer.

EDIT - To contradict myself I would use it as it's in walking distance and closer than Empire but I'm thinking above about people who would usually drive. Not much parking at the moment in the town centre.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #114
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 47

I assume there must be parking part of the whole development? I think it would be a good idea. The Empire is off putting at a weekend when the carnage in the 'pubs' downstairs is happening. Then again I imagine Gateshead town centre wouldn't be much better on a Friday and Saturday night- then again with a new student population it could be popular.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #115

The Empire is pretty expensive compared to the city centre cinemas in say Manchester where there is competition (with two big Multiplexs), when I moved back up I was shocked that it was nearly twice as much to go to the cinema in Newcastle! Only really worth using it on Orange Wednesdays etc... It's not even a very good cinema, the seats and screens are more like something from an 80s multiplex rather than the big fixed comfy seats and huge screens at the Printworks and AMC in Manchester (which are actually older than the Empire).
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #116
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
The Empire is pretty expensive compared to the city centre cinemas in say Manchester where there is competition (with two big Multiplexs), when I moved back up I was shocked that it was nearly twice as much to go to the cinema in Newcastle!
Do you have a student card or was there an offer on? Me and mrs BL were in Manchester last year and went to the Odeon.... when i was told the price for 2 tickets, a drink and some scran I almost lost control of my bodily functions!! Mind you, it was to see 'Thor' so I deserved everything they threw at me...
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #117
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Would it be used that much? Don't people just go to Metro Centre or Empire? I don't think Empire is too expensive compared to others, especially with their Tuesday offer.

Many people find the Odeon Silverlink the quickest to get to and easiest to park at, north of the river.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #118
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Many people find the Odeon Silverlink the quickest to get to and easiest to park at, north of the river.
I prefer the Silverlink one and it is easier for me to get too, but in saying that the Silverlink is pretty much in my back garden. Their all expensive to be honest, something like £9 a ticket now.

As for the new Gateshead cinema being cheaper, I'm assuming it will be operated by either Odeon, Empire, or Vue so the prices will be in line with their own set prices.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; May 9th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Do you have a student card or was there an offer on? Me and mrs BL were in Manchester last year and went to the Odeon.... when i was told the price for 2 tickets, a drink and some scran I almost lost control of my bodily functions!! Mind you, it was to see 'Thor' so I deserved everything they threw at me...
We're talking 5 years ago so things might've changed since then! In those days you'd be hard-pressed paying more than £3.50 for a cinema ticket in Manchester though. The AMC was always better though as it was usually deserted, they even did free promotions a lot of the time. It was built at the Great Northern Centre on Peter Street which was/is sort of a failed Printworks/Gate. In those days Manchester had an old Odean too, and of course a great arthouse cinema in the Cornerhouse too.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #120
Northern Engineer

Likes (Received): 15

Gateshead Town Cinema

Agree with everybody else that this can only be good for competition.

Is there any cinema brands that we dont have in the area? All I can think already here is Empire-Newcastle, Odeon-Metro Centre and Silverlink..

Could be a Cineworld, Vue or Showcase....
Northern Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
athletics, basketball, bbl, british basketball league, centre for life, cinema, entertainment, events, gnr, great north run, ice hockey, newcastle, newcastle retail, newcastle sport, rugby, rugby league, rugby union, sport, sporting events