Little Ballparks - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM   #121
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrakbaseball View Post
The park looks boring. Looks like a generic spring training facility. Nothing more. Never said anything about the surrounding area.
Take it from someone who's been there: it's much nicer when you see it in person, jam-packed with 25,000 fans from all over the country; at the very least it's not another cookie-cutter, red-brick, green-seat Camden copycat...

Quote:
That to me says that the NCAA had their hands all over the design of this place. Everything nuetral and boring. This is like the baseball version of March Madness. Nothing to distinguish from any other park in Anytown, USA. Ever notice during the NCAA tournament, that every single basketball court is painted identical? Doesn't matter if the game is in Boise or Birmingham, Boston or Albuquerque. Everything looks the same. Dull.
Pfft, I'm tired of all the HOKey artificial outfield quirks, ferris wheel rides and manufactured nostalgia myself; just give me a clean, functional, accessible place to -- you know -- watch the goddamn baseball game. Hell, the fact that it's simply that makes it more unique than about two-thirds of the shit that's gone up within the last 20 years...
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM   #122
KingmanIII

Quote:
Omaha isn't a major league community.
Quote:
I'm pretty confident. Remember several years ago when Cleveland was snowed out for about a week? They played a series at Miller Park in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a big league market, Omaha will never be.
I recall hearing the same thing being said about OKC not too long ago...
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:33 AM   #123
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Thunder. But really, is Oklahoma City a big league town? Durant said there was nothing to do there.
mrakbaseball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:17 AM   #124
Scba

Likes (Received): 1510

It's got an NBA team, and it's got support.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #125
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 47

Speaking of Oklahoma!How about the minor League parks!How about The Bricktown Ballpark and the new OneOK field in Tulsa!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:54 AM   #126
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
It's got an NBA team, and it's got support.
Sacramento.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM   #127
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Sacramento.
What?They kept there team?
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM   #128
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 2174

Quote:
The NBA ISN'T the MLB
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #129
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The NBA ISN'T the MLB
But,it is still one of the major four and you have to start somewhere!Whether some like to believe it or not having a pro sports team in ones city is a BIG deal!
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #130
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Pfft, I'm tired of all the HOKey artificial outfield quirks, ferris wheel rides and manufactured nostalgia myself; just give me a clean, functional, accessible place to -- you know -- watch the goddamn baseball game. Hell, the fact that it's simply that makes it more unique than about two-thirds of the shit that's gone up within the last 20 years...
You could still have a symmetrical ballpark, but with different angles in the outfield with varying wall heights. Anything to add some character to TD Ameritrade.
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #131
KingmanIII

Quote:
You could still have a symmetrical ballpark, but with different angles in the outfield with varying wall heights. Anything to add some character to TD Ameritrade.
Again, contrived quirks have no place in a NEUTRAL park where the purpose is to not favor certain teams or hitters.

Rosenblatt was symmetrical with uniform wall heights, too:

Lastly, the outfield angles at TD actually DO vary somewhat:
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #132
KingmanIII

Quote:
The NBA ISN'T the MLB
$48.08 average ticket price x 41 games = $1971.28
$26.91 average ticket price X 81 games = $2179.71

not very much of a difference at all
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #133
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Again, contrived quirks have no place in a NEUTRAL park where the purpose is to not favor certain teams or hitters.

Rosenblatt was symmetrical with uniform wall heights, too:

Lastly, the outfield angles at TD actually DO vary somewhat:
A symmetrical ballpark can have different angles and wall heights and still be neutral. The dimensions, angles and wall heights would stay the same in both the top and bottom of an inning.

The old Rosenblatt didn't seem interesting to me either. A servicable park, nothing more or less.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #134
KingmanIII

Quote:
A symmetrical ballpark can have different angles and wall heights and still be neutral. The dimensions, angles and wall heights would stay the same in both the top and bottom of an inning.
but they would still favor or disadvantage left-or-right handed hitters

Is it fair if a lefty has to hit a ball over a 20' wall while a righty only has to hit the ball the same distance over a 10' wall?
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #135
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
but they would still favor or disadvantage left-or-right handed hitters

Is it fair if a lefty has to hit a ball over a 20' wall while a righty only has to hit the ball the same distance over a 10' wall?
The walls could be 15' high in both corners and 8' tall the rest of the way. Anything to add flavor to the game, college baseball needs a boost.
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #136
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 2174

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
But,it is still one of the major four and you have to start somewhere!Whether some like to believe it or not having a pro sports team in ones city is a BIG deal!
The "big leagues" is a reference to the Major League in baseball, Memphis and OKC are Triple A cities.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #137
KingmanIII

Quote:
The walls could be 15' high in both corners and 8' tall the rest of the way.
Again, what's the point?

All it would do is allow for fewer seats in the outfield.

Quote:
Anything to add flavor to the game, college baseball needs a boost.
College baseball didn't need any "flavor," it needed to put an end to the "gorilla ball" antics that devolved the game into an offensive sideshow. The new BBCOR standards did a fine enough job of taking care of that.
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #138
Commandant

Likes (Received): 69

Ballpark Digest gives a pretty good analysis of TD Ameritrade Park on their website:

http://ballparkdigest.com/2011062739...ghton-bluejays

One last pic of Rosenblatt:

Quote:
Ten things we’ll miss about Rosenblatt Stadium
By Kendall Rogers

The hill

When you’re driving east toward the Iowa border, the last exit on Interstate 80 always will be known as the exit to Rosenblatt Stadium. To your right upon exiting the freeway is a large hill. Rosenblatt tops that hill. The sight is great during the day. But at night when the stadium lights are shining bright, the sight of Rosenblatt will leave you awestruck. Unlike the old ballpark, the new downtown ballpark sits on flat ground with no special layout. It won’t be the same.

The red, yellow and blue seats

One of the first things I noticed in my first CWS experience in 1999, the red, blue and yellow seats provide fans, players and media alike with a spectacle when the stadium is nearly empty on the first practice day. You always knew you were in the midst of the big time when you walked through the tunnel behind home plate and saw the tricolor seats. The new ballpark, of course, will not carry that tradition downtown. The new park, sources say, will have blue seats. There is, of course, plenty of time for that to change. Perhaps the NCAA will make it happen. The red, blue and yellow seats were a special part of Rosenblatt.

The stadium

The new downtown ballpark certainly will have many more amenities than Rosenblatt. But there was something about walking into an old ballpark that made it special. Perhaps it was the smell of the old structure and the different foods in the air. It also was the feeling that you were surrounded by memories of the old. Anyone that has been to Fenway Park or the old Yankee Stadium has felt that feeling before, too. Rosenblatt wasn’t a plush and modern stadium. Heck, the concourses after games were an adventure of their own. But Rosenblatt truly identified with the progress of college baseball. Though some areas of the stadium lacked, others flourished. Everything will flourish in the new ballpark.

The tailgating

From the first day I attended the CWS, I’ve always been amazed at just how many people can pack into the different rows in the main parking areas to tailgate. The number of tailgaters had dwindled over the years because of limited parking and stricter late-night rules against tailgating. But no matter what, you still saw many of the same faces in the same spots each summer. There was something about that aspect of the event at Rosenblatt that made it extra special. The City of Omaha and NCAA still haven’t figured out of the tailgating situation at the new ballpark. Each person, though, should agree that further limiting tailgating will hurt the game day atmosphere.

The bleacher creatures

Chances are good the outfield seats at the new ballpark will have the same type of feeling and atmosphere with the areas expected to be general admission. But you wonder if the atmosphere will equal that of the way it was at Rosenblatt. For instance, will the beach balls be aplenty between innings and the fans continue the childish, yet funny, chants? Those are questions that will have to be answered at the new ballpark. Additionally, I always thought it was cool to see the fans wrapped around the large hill to get into the general admission seats. Somehow, seeing folks lined up on the pavement in a huge parking lot won’t spur the same feeling of excitement.

Henry Doorly Zoo/Desert Dome

Anyone that has ever been to the CWS makes a point to head to the famous Omaha Zoo at some point during their trip. I made a point to check out the zoo a few years ago, and there’s absolutely no question it’s one of the best in the business. Though the zoo being next to the ballpark was a cool attraction, the zoo’s “Desert Dome” in right field became part of the Rosenblatt landscape during the two-week long event. Obviously, the Desert Dome will not be in view when the event moves downtown. The cool view of the Desert Dome will be missed.

The outside vendors

The status of outdoor vendors at the downtown ballpark is still unclear, but there was something special about having several vendors across 13th street at the old ballpark. Along with the plethora of clothing and hat choices at each tent, the presence of several tents also kept apparel prices at a reasonable level. That could change at the downtown ballpark if the NCAA has total control of the vendors in the immediate area. Besides the normal CWS apparel, several vendors also offered clothing outside of the CWS box. Their presence made for a cool street atmosphere.

The infield lights

Many of you might have never noticed this. Though the stadium light standards in the outfield at Rosenblatt had a modern look, the lights around the backside and down each foul line were of the old “crisscross” pattern seen in many of America’s old ballparks, including Fenway Park. The new lights at the downtown ballpark are impressive, but are of modern architecture. I always felt like I was walking into a historic ballpark when I saw the infield lights at Rosenblatt. That look and feel certainly will be missed.

The neighborhood

I recall a story that was published in the Omaha World Herald about a neighborhood resident around Rosenblatt that paid for his children’s college tuitions with the money he raised from charging for parking in his driveway. Things like that are over with when the new ballpark is finished. The area around the new ballpark is either owned by the city or private property, i.e., large downtown buildings. There was something extra special about driving through a neighborhood to get to Rosenblatt. That feeling is gone. Starsky’s Lounge, a favorite bar of many that attended the CWS, also will be missed.

The view

Iowa is one of the least picturesque states in the country, but from the top rows of the stadium and in the press box/suites level, you could stare for miles at the bluffs and farmlands around Council Bluffs, Iowa. This might be the least missed thing about Rosenblatt, but there was something cool about being provided a view during a five-hour marathon during the CWS. The new downtown ballpark will have a beautiful (note the sarcasm) view of the Qwest Center out to left field.
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #139
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Quote:
The "big leagues" is a reference to the Major League in baseball, Memphis and OKC are Triple A cities.
I knew that,I probably jumped into a conversation not knowing wth was being discussed!My bad!
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #140
mrakbaseball
BANNED

Quote:
Again, what's the point?

All it would do is allow for fewer seats in the outfield.

College baseball didn't need any "flavor," it needed to put an end to the "gorilla ball" antics that devolved the game into an offensive sideshow. The new BBCOR standards did a fine enough job of taking care of that.
I'm all for fewer outfield seats. A ballpark with a capacity of under 25,000 should have a minimum of fair territory outfield seating anyway.

About "flavor", give me angles, give me varying wall heights anyday. You could have the same angles in left and in right, without favoring anybody.

Something that hasn't been discussed is why is Omaha, Nebraska the permanent home of the College World Series? Why isn't there a rotation of sites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement