Chinatowns - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #21
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3952

Nice thread.....
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #22
Northsider

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The Chinatown in Buenos Aires.
I've been to that one in Belgrano. It's strange to see "chinatowns" in South American cities for some reason. I've also been to Liberdade in Sao Paulo...also strange to see such a thriving Japanese population in SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Despite the many Chinatowns worldwide, I'm curious about the demographics of the area's Chinese population.

Like in LA's Chinatown for example, a large population of its Chinese residents come from Taiwan or are Mandarin speaking.

NY's Chinatown in Lower Manhattan on the other hand also has a sizable population of those coming in from Taiwan but the majority comes from HK and Guangdong.
Chicago's Chinatown, as far as I know, consists of mostly Cantonese Chinese.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #23
memph

Likes (Received): 15

Toronto's Chinatown at Spadina & Dundas used to be mostly Cantonese, but most new newcomers to the area now are from Vietnam or mainland China.

In East Chinatown, they are mostly from mainland China or Vietnam too.

The population of the Chinatown in Toronto's NE suburbs is I think mostly from Hong Kong and Taiwan, at least the Northern parts around Markham and Richmond Hill. Agincourt (NW Scarborough) I'm less sure of.
memph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #24
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
I've been to that one in Belgrano. It's strange to see "chinatowns" in South American cities for some reason. I've also been to Liberdade in Sao Paulo...also strange to see such a thriving Japanese population in SA.
Alot of Japanese workers back in the day were enticed to emigrate to Sao Paulo because of the huge demand for labor at the coffee plantations. Peru to my knowledge also has a relatively sizable Chinese and Japanese population.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Northsider

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Alot of Japanese workers back in the day were enticed to emigrate to Sao Paulo because of the huge demand for labor at the coffee plantations. Peru to my knowledge also has a relatively sizable Chinese and Japanese population.
I know the history It's just still odd to see / hear
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsider View Post

Chicago's Chinatown, as far as I know, consists of mostly Cantonese Chinese.
Most Chinatowns in the world are shifting to Mandarin these days.

"Chicago’s Chinatown is the 3rd largest in the United States, and is currently undergoing a linguistic and cultural shift from Cantonese to Mandarin."
http://workforcelanguageservices.com...t-to-mandarin/
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #27
Wapper
EU-ian

Likes (Received): 8090

Quote:
True. Remember former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori.

jlvillalba liked this post
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #28
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 25908

I don't like the idea of ethnic neighborhoods. They convey the idea of segregation and ghettoization based on ethnicity alone, which is bad (I have no problems with indirect segregation based on income, as long as it has nothing to do with ethnicity). Fortunately, at least in most developed countries, one of their problems has been curtailed: the presence of a large population of unskilled/uneducated foreigners unable to speak the host country language.

I'd rather have ethnic restaurant and stores scattered around other commercial and retail areas, instead of clustered based on an ethnic criteria. Moreover, I'm wary of the lax enforcement of anti-discrimination laws when it comes to minorities living in an "ethnic neighborhood" discriminating against anyone else when it comes to employment and, especially, renting their properties. I wish governments cracked down on such "unspoken rules" that tolerates such illegal behavior.

As for mere architecture, I don't like Chinese architecture, it has too much information and too many details, but that is a matter of taste.

My city doesn't have a Chinatown. There is a sizable Asian population here, but mostly are students. Chinese restaurants and food stores (the latter ones recently subject to a major clean-up operation as they were selling products deemed unsafe or in an unsafe manner by health authorities) are scattered in mini commercial areas around town.
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #29
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I don't like the idea of ethnic neighborhoods. They convey the idea of segregation and ghettoization based on ethnicity alone, which is bad (I have no problems with indirect segregation based on income, as long as it has nothing to do with ethnicity). Fortunately, at least in most developed countries, one of their problems has been curtailed: the presence of a large population of unskilled/uneducated foreigners unable to speak the host country language.

I'd rather have ethnic restaurant and stores scattered around other commercial and retail areas, instead of clustered based on an ethnic criteria. Moreover, I'm wary of the lax enforcement of anti-discrimination laws when it comes to minorities living in an "ethnic neighborhood" discriminating against anyone else when it comes to employment and, especially, renting their properties. I wish governments cracked down on such "unspoken rules" that tolerates such illegal behavior.

As for mere architecture, I don't like Chinese architecture, it has too much information and too many details, but that is a matter of taste.

My city doesn't have a Chinatown. There is a sizable Asian population here, but mostly are students. Chinese restaurants and food stores (the latter ones recently subject to a major clean-up operation as they were selling products deemed unsafe or in an unsafe manner by health authorities) are scattered in mini commercial areas around town.
I'd agree with that in principle, except that the Chinatowns in the UK are clusters of shops, supermarkets and restaurants in a nicely decorated area.

No one actually lives in the Chinatowns, as everyone is scattered in the suburbs.

And because there are so many Chinese shops and restaurants in one area, competition means the selection, quality and cost is better than if they were scattered across the city.

===

NB. I'd hate for our Chinatowns to become like the ghetto Chinatowns in Paris which are dark and ugly, dirty and dangerous.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #30
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 25908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
NB. I'd hate for our Chinatowns to become like the ghetto Chinatowns in Paris which are dark and ugly, dirty and dangerous.
In Milano (Milan), in Italy - my previous town -, the Chinatown is one of its worst areas. It was a former lower class neighborhoods that was taken over Chinese. The stores are bad, and there are a lot of problems with police, especially when the local whine about police clearing illegal tenements and so. The restaurants on Milano's Chinatown are not good (the best Chinese restaurants in Milano are located elsewhere), and the area is mostly known for its residents than its stores (the stores are more like a consequence of the residents living there). Those food parlors are routinely fined because of health violations.

Some like it because it is "authentic", but I'd get rid of it on a minute because of its decay, high crime and disregard for local regulations.

You can check it on Google Street View around this area.
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #31
Minato ku

Ghetto chinatowns in Paris ? Dangerous ?
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #32
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 8247

usual troll hijacking a thread again.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; July 31st, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM   #33
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 14079

We've had Chinatown threads before, and people never seem satisfied with just looking at photos and learning something about other cities! Let's keep this one fun!

Toronto has four Chinatowns; two older ones downtown and two suburban ones replete with huge Chinese shopping malls. I like the big, old one downtown on Spadina and Dundas Avenue. It is a mixture of Chinese and Vietnamese, but it is a living, breathing Chinatown where people live, work and play and not one of those cobbled together as a tourist draw, where people commute from the suburbs to open their restaurants, and then drive home again when they close up. People who have a morbid fear of germs or grit are advised to stick to the scrubbed and sanitized suburban Chinatowns. Some pics I took in the past:

My Life Thus Far.... Toronto and beyond
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:22 PM   #34
Taller, Better
Administrator

First and foremost, Chinatown is a market, and as a tourist destination only a distant second.

I stopped for a foot soak that day and it was amazing! My hot tired feet came out feeling like new!!

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM   #35
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 8247

so vibrant, Toronto's Chinatown looks so much more colourful than London's, which is really just a few streets of restaurants catering to tourists. It really makes a difference if the community actually resides there imo.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:30 AM   #36
Minato ku

I agree that Toronto chinatown look very vibrant and attractive.

Paris Triangle de Choisy chinatown (13th arrondissement) is not really vibrant outside the weekends when chinese/vietnamese and etc come from all the metropolitan of Paris to shop.

The district is alo very different to most chinatown that I know, infact I haven't seen any similar as it is in a 70's high-rises district.
The area is not dangerous or bad, infact it pretty middle class and pacefull.

It been a long time, I haven't took picture in this area

The district was not build to house a chinese district but architect chose pagoda as the design for the shops on the pedestrail slab.

Belleville the second "big" (by european standard) chinatown of Paris is really different.
The architecture is more traditional and it is more vibrant.
The area is also much more working class.
The chinese who shop in Belleville and those who chose in the Trianagle de Choisy are not the same.
Belleville cater more the wenzhou community of Paris while Porte de Choisy is more the overseas chinese form the french colonial empire.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:39 AM   #37
Yellow Fever
A Touch of Grey

Likes (Received): 76802

With a chinese population well over 300,000 living in its metro area, Vancouver has one of the biggest chinatowns outside of Asia.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:21 AM   #38
Taller, Better
Administrator

Nice pics, YF!

It is always FRKN cold here in Toronto during Chinese New Year!

Definitely the most vibrant Chinatowns are those where people actually live. I love the old grannies who sit on plastic pails and sell vegetables and
herbs that they grow in their little gardens.

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM   #39
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 14217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In Milano (Milan), in Italy - my previous town -, the Chinatown is one of its worst areas.
Things changed the area was totally renewed, via Paolo Sarpi became pedestrian and even the quality of Chinese stores are improving (I have to add that nowadays Chinese own a large part of shops and stores in the whole city. And just part of 'em are ethnical Chinese stores)

Here via Paolo Sarpi (Milan Chinatown main street) in March just few days after its renewal had been over

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviduzz View Post
SARPI

Here a video (from an interesting video project by a forumer who wants to show ordinary street life) showing how the once caothic aerea has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y93 View Post
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM   #40
Lebanese_Almaghrebia

Likes (Received): 0

Even Casablanca, Morocco has a small but fast growing chinese population..
Lebanese_Almaghrebia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement