Will the age of the car ever return? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #1
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 315

Will the age of the car ever return?

Will the age of the car ever return?

I know in its current form, everyone is dead against anything that resembles a motorway, and petrol costs are going sky high...

But what if in some point in the future some new fuel is developed...
Makes no pollution, is really cheap, easy to buy etc

Will people still want to be jammed on a bus when they can drive their own car for a low price?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Chrissib
Margela Schurkel

Likes (Received): 17749

Of course then it depends solely on the view of the people on roads. You'll still need sufficient road capacity.
Chrissib está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #3
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Cars and trucks are not going anywhere anytime soon. It's just right now that planners are begining to realize the benefits of having a true multi-modal transportation network which means having roads, airports, HSR, light rail, heavy rail, etc work in tandem with each other. Also many people are begining to realize that they don't want to be forced to drive everywhere, so they are begining to show more interest in living in walkable communities.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #4
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 315

In the UK our last burst of 'roadism' was in the late 80s / early 90s when the whole 'roads for prosperity' thing came about. Loads of cancelled 1960s plans where resurrected and built. But since then its been pretty quiet.

There are a few projects ongoing right now...near me its the re re re resurrected Manchester Outer Ring Road (Western Parkway as it was once know at some point)...altho as its the 2010s they have branded it the...South East Manchester Multi Modal Study Environmental Improvement Road...and reduced the plan from a full scale motorway to a 4 lane dual carriageway with cycle lanes, that no one will ever use!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #5
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 25878

Come to The Netherlands. Construction of new motorway lanes picked up since 2002, after 20 years of low pace. Multi-billion projects, including a new elevated motorway in Amsterdam. If that is possible, anything is

We're building lane-miles at a rate not seen for 20 years.

Construction also picked up in Italy after 20 years of paralysis or so.

What will be needed is a renewal of the fleet and electric cars that toss the pollution argument aside. Once that is achieved, people are much less worried about "oil wars" or something that happened in the sands of Middle East. Then, only the physical impact remains. But it will be just one item.
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #6
Xusein

Likes (Received): 13361

The days of petroleum requiring vehicles might eventually come to an end (I think it will happen within the next 25 years), but I don't know about cars in general.

Where I am in (Connecticut, USA), the big days of highway construction are way over, but the state hasn't really waded into PT alternatives yet (other than a half-hearted busway plan in Hartford and improving an overcrowded commuter rail network), we are somewhat stuck in the middle.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Suburbanist
on the road

I have high hopes for PRT (personal rapid transit)
Old November 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

More people are living in cities every year, cars will still be needed but not as much for people living in urban areas there wont be space for them.
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 2174

when did the age of the car end, I wasn't informed. I bought a car last week... In the midwest of the USA the age of the car will never end in my lifetime. The cities have grown to sprawled that public transportation will never make sense for most. We can afford cars so we aren't going to be held hostage to a transit system that limits where and when we can travel.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #10
LtBk

Likes (Received): 4659

Cars aren't going anywhere, but the days of auto-centric developments and planning are coming to an end.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #11
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3650

The level of car dominance seems to have dropped a bit in the US, and I think it will continue to drop.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 1028

In the UK the age of road building might have gone (there are some things happening now though) but the age of the car hasn't ended at all, people just use overcrowded roads
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #13
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 208

The age of the car hasn't really ended in Australia, since 1990, we have built 4 new road tunnels in Sydney (including an underground freeway interchange), 4 new freeways (forming an somewhat-orbital loop).

All these new roads are heavily tolled, though. To do an entire loop of the orbital (for a car) it costs between A$22.95 and $24.95, depending on the direction and time of day.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:40 AM   #14
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 6

It's really a mater of how much road Capacity that you can build for a area such as 25 years ago in my area there was hardly any road traffic. There lots of wide four lane wide highways with little traffic on them. Now with the run away suburban growth and the cud de sacs funneling all the car traffic on the main roads a lot of the four lane road are jammed packed. It also very stressful now do to all this growth. If a area started building up vast amounts of road capacity though super widening and bypass projects they could keep the age of the car going. It's really a mater of how much free car space there is.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:01 AM   #15
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 889

It has not ended yet, but when it ends (sometime in 10-30 years) I don't think we will be seeing this many cars for a very long time, if ever.

Buildings Built Pre 1910>>>Post 1910

Ornament is no crime, it's an obligation.

Follow "Dank Historic Architecture memes for Premodern Teens" on Facebook
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #16
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 801

The age of the car is far from over, actually this is just the beginning! We will probably see a lot of innovation and changes to the car this century.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Candido
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks God, NO.

mckeenan liked this post
Candido no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM   #18
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10123

As far as urbanity is concerned the car has been a disaster which was responsible for the dismantling of extensive public transport networks (which we now regret), demolishion of historic architecture (which we now also regret), ruin of public spaces (making cities unattractive), not to mention pollution (which causes millions of deaths) and the hollowing out of city centres (causing sprawl).

Thankfully many European countries have finally understood this and are pursuing anti-car policies in their cities, putting the pedestrian first, by improving the public realm, introducing pedestrian only or shared surface streets and investing and expanding public transport.

Last edited by El_Greco; January 22nd, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Suburbanist
on the road

Sprawl is positive, if only to crush outdated social dynamics on many European cities and deny old places their continue prominence.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #20
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Sprawl is positive, if only to crush outdated social dynamics on many European cities and deny old places their continue prominence.
Thankfully your weird, philistine and anti-individual ideas will never be implemented. Youll just have to be content with seething and raging on SSC!

CNB30, zwischbl liked this post

Last edited by El_Greco; January 22nd, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement