TOKYO - 2020 Summer Olympic Games | Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Page 22 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2019, 06:45 AM   #421
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 87183

Olympic Village

04/13

source:
http://bluestyle.livedoor.biz/archives/52463586.html
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2019, 11:07 PM   #422
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 427

Uh-oh. THe burning of the old wooden sections of Notre Dame NOT a good omen for Tokyo's new Olympic stadium with wooden cladding. No Shinto shrines should be allowed inside the new stadium.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:20 AM   #423
Nacre

Likes (Received): 136

IIRC wood combusts at around 150 C/300 F while polystyrene cladding combusts at around 100 C/200 F. Wood is worse than most metals (except magnesium!) and glass but I doubt wood is any more dangerous than the ubiquitous plastics.

The fact that plastics are newer does not make them less combustible than old materials.
Nacre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2019, 07:29 AM   #424
Ziltoidian

Likes (Received): 77

A question for Japanese and/or Japanese speaking forumers. Is it true that the government is planning to reverse the decision to remove the National Stadium's track after the Games? Thanks in advance.
Ziltoidian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 09:10 PM   #425
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 87183

Olympic Aquatics Centre アクアティクス・センター

source:
https://twitter.com/zeiko24/status/1142020238298378241
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2019, 09:32 PM   #426
Knitemplar

Tokyo 2020 will probably be the last grand slam of brand-new Olympic venues construction for awhile . . . maybe a generation.

fabri421 liked this post
Old June 21st, 2019, 11:59 PM   #427
pesto

Likes (Received): 3982

Aquatics building is a beauty.

Olympic Village looks more like a failed Utopian idea from the 1800's. Too much rationality, not enough humanity. Neither has curves, but Aquatics is not completely orthogonal.

It's not done yet, so maybe I will be wrong.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:40 AM   #428
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Olympic Village looks more like a failed Utopian idea from the 1800's. Too much rationality, not enough humanity. Neither has curves, but Aquatics is not completely orthogonal.
It's Tokyo, remember, one of the 4 or 5 great megalopolises of the planet. I think the OV and 4 or 5 of the new venues are on reclaimed Bay land -- so dry land is at a premium.

kamehameha, Kenni liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2019, 10:20 AM   #429
Temporarily Exiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
Tokyo 2020 will probably be the last grand slam of brand-new Olympic venues construction for awhile . . . maybe a generation.
Depends if and when India hosts the games. If they're successful with their 2032 bid then I imagine some peacocking can be expected.
Temporarily Exiled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 05:15 PM   #430
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporarily Exiled View Post
Depends if and when India hosts the games. If they're successful with their 2032 bid then I imagine some peacocking can be expected.
They won't be. India is too chaotic to host an organized Olympics. And athletics-achievement-wise, I doubt they would walk away with even 6 gold medals in a home-sponsored Games. Besides, they will probably just upgrade a lot of the venues from the 2010 CWGames (at least around Delhi). Of course now that an Olympics is anything goes, all the major cities of a wannabee host country can all show off their snazziest stadia.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 05:55 PM   #431
pesto

Quote:
It's Tokyo, remember, one of the 4 or 5 great megalopolises of the planet. I think the OV and 4 or 5 of the new venues are on reclaimed Bay land -- so dry land is at a premium.
The problem isn't the land, it's the building.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 06:15 PM   #432
Knitemplar

Quote:
The problem isn't the land, it's the building.
What I'm saying -- if I interpreted your comments about the look of the OV -- and I sort of agree with you -- but the Look has been determined by the land they set aside. They've tried to cram as many buildings as they can to hold what (I don't know where Tokyo will host the media) 12,000 - 15,000 people for those 17 days; and still have viable apartments for after-use people; and still NOT be too big and heavy to sink back into the Bay fill. They're not as spaciously planned or laid out like the London and Rio villages due to the scarcity of Tokyo real estate.

Unfortunately, Paris also it seems will have a boring-looking village in those 51 hectares they have for a Village, except I think that one is sort of bisected by a part of the Seine, i.e., part of the 2024 Village is on an island, so the little waterway intersector would make it a little interesting.

The bigger they make these events, the greater the chances of more Communist-type-era blocks of housing to be created.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 06:58 PM   #433
pesto

Quote:
What I'm saying -- if I interpreted your comments about the look of the OV -- and I sort of agree with you -- but the Look has been determined by the land they set aside. They've tried to cram as many buildings as they can to hold what (I don't know where Tokyo will host the media) 12,000 - 15,000 people for those 17 days; and still have viable apartments for after-use people; and still NOT be too big and heavy to sink back into the Bay fill. They're not as spaciously planned or laid out like the London and Rio villages due to the scarcity of Tokyo real estate.

Unfortunately, Paris also it seems will have a boring-looking village in those 51 hectares they have for a Village, except I think that one is sort of bisected by a part of the Seine, i.e., part of the 2024 Village is on an island, so the little waterway intersector would make it a little interesting.

The bigger they make these events, the greater the chances of more Communist-type-era blocks of housing to be created.
Agree with all that. Land costs and sheer numbers of people involved militate toward t-square designs.

I don't agree with the Paris comment though. The renderings of their athlete's village look pretty nice and relaxing to me. The French are good at putting some style and elegance into projects.

Paris may have to relocate a thousand homeless people to do it, but that's a separate issue.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 01:15 AM   #434
pesto

Quote:
They won't be. India is too chaotic to host an organized Olympics. And athletics-achievement-wise, I doubt they would walk away with even 6 gold medals in a home-sponsored Games. Besides, they will probably just upgrade a lot of the venues from the 2010 CWGames (at least around Delhi). Of course now that an Olympics is anything goes, all the major cities of a wannabee host country can all show off their snazziest stadia.
Not the right place for the discussion but it seems clear that India will bid using 3 cities and that the iOC is totally supportive (multiple visits to India and changes of rules that facilitate their multi-city bid).

Of course, they may not win, but that Asian market is very tempting.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 02:20 AM   #435
Knitemplar

Quote:
Not the right place for the discussion but it seems clear that India will bid using 3 cities and that the iOC is totally supportive (multiple visits to India and changes of rules that facilitate their multi-city bid).

Of course, they may not win, but that Asian market is very tempting.
Uhmmm . . . probably NOT forgotten by the production companies that do the Ceremonies for the Olympic Games, India screwed nearly all of them when they subcontracted doing the Ceremonies for the 2010 CWG. The CWG Org Committee even took those companies to work and impounded their equipment. First time anything of that sort happened in an international set of games. You can bet those Special Events companies (who do have connections within the IOC) won't be silent about India's behavior to them then.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:07 AM   #436
pesto

Quote:
Uhmmm . . . probably NOT forgotten by the production companies that do the Ceremonies for the Olympic Games, India screwed nearly all of them when they subcontracted doing the Ceremonies for the 2010 CWG. The CWG Org Committee even took those companies to work and impounded their equipment. First time anything of that sort happened in an international set of games. You can bet those Special Events companies (who do have connections within the IOC) won't be silent about India's behavior to them then.
I will reply in the 2032 Olympics thread.
Old June 24th, 2019, 10:54 PM   #437
californiadreams

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:

The designs for 2024 at least look more human-scaled and friendlier than the Commie-block look of 2020. Or the look that 2016 went with.

However, Tokyo is already guaranteed to be a success in one way that eluded the last summer games. Demand for tickets has been so high, a lot of people who'd like to attend an event apparently are out of luck.

If an Olympic games are weak in one category, that can be offset by strengths in other categories. SRO venues during two weeks of the Olympics help offset a variety of failings. That includes sterile, East-German-Soviet type villages.
californiadreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #438
aquamaroon

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Ángeles
Likes (Received): 6845

Pretty cool video tour of the venues with about a year to go before the Games

Tags
olympic games 2020, olympics, tokyo 2020