USA, MEXICO & CANADA - 2026 FIFA World Cup™ - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #41
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
F the US 1994 World Cup still holds the record for highest attendance of any World Cup.
The attandance of a world cup depends on the size of the stadiums! Alle big european football nations (Spain, France, Germany, England, Italy) could beat the US record easily, if they had the stadiums like the USA in 1994. My hometown (just 250,000 inh.) hosted the QF England vs. Portugal in 2006. Estimated 80,000 englishmen without a ticket were in the city!

Imagine a World Cup in the "Big5":
Bernabeu: 81,000
Nou Camp: 99,000
New Mestalla: 70,000
Stade de France: 81,000
Velodrome: 68,000
Wembley: 90,000
Old Trafford: 76,000
Twickenham: 82,000
Allianz Arena: 71,000
Olympic Stadium Berlin: 74,000
San Siro: 80,000
Stadio Olympico Rome: 80,000

Average: 72,500 x 64 = 4,640,000

The "Big5" (population 360,000,000) are comparable to the USA.

Anyway, the USA would host a great tournament, no doubt about it.

Its AlL gUUd, Alanzeh liked this post

Last edited by GEwinnen; March 29th, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #42
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 670

Pretty sure 2026 will be in noth america but i don't think Mexico wil get it this time since they already hosted twice.

It seems Soccer/football and espcially the World Cup have been growing in US and Canada over the last decades. It won't bee like in 1994 when many didn't even know what the world cup was.

Canada would be nice, but are they really prepared to invest billions in new stadiums for a sport they as of now are far from competing with the best in?

I think USA will end up getting 2026
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #43
carlosfng

Likes (Received): 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by That London Fella View Post
Slightly unrelated but I feel that the US should also focus on getting some club world cups. In my opinion it should be played there every year.

Its the easiest location for everyone to get to from all continents firstly. I'm sorry but playing this tournament in Japan just kills it for European teams who are the main draw, because its so far away! Also easier for Mexican, south American and African teams to get to the US

Secondly, soccer is really taking off in America and I'm sure most US fans would love the prospect of a European champion like real Madrid etc coming to the country mid season when they are in full flight domestically to play competitive football rather than the pre season friendlies currently played.

In addition to this, the fact that the US has so many nationalities means that the south American nations, Mexican especially (less so for the African and Asian teams) Will have massive support there. Of course US based Barca/Bayern/real etcfans would also be cheering on their team.

In addition the fact that the MLS champion would compete in the tournament would be great for the MLS. The galaxy or sounders having the opportunity to go up against the best Europe and south America has to offer would only further increase interest.

I think it's a no brainer. Then again I'm not entirely sure what the costs of staging the tournament are and the added fact that its played during NFL season and US winter is a problem.
I think that you're only taking the European side of the coin - for South Americans, it was and still is always pretty neat for us to wake up, have breakfast, and watch our champion battle it out in Japan. Thus the last few editions in UAE/Morocco haven't been that paid attention to in our region. So in that sense, maybe we like the time difference Japan has with us - and maybe that helps us value the CWC more than you guys ever did heh.

Either way, you're right in your other positive points about the US hosting the CWC - but then again, your negatives are correct too, costs (again, UAE/Morocco hosting it now, must be for a reason), winter, and NFL scheduling would be a problem.
carlosfng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015, 04:42 PM   #44
fidalgo
the mitty

Likes (Received): 31140

Kazakhstan examine bid for 2026 World Cup

Quote:
Kazakhstan are examining a bid to host the 2026 World Cup, the country's football chief Yerlan Kozhagapanov was quoted as saying in Russia's Sport Express daily Tuesday.

"We're currently consulting with the government and analysing our possibilities," Kozhagapanov, who is also the deputy mayor of Kazakhstan's capital Astana, said.

"Our country is rapidly developing, our economy is on the rise. Why not?
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kazakh...0601--sow.html
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:51 PM   #45
Laurence2011
Currywurst king

Likes (Received): 242

I think 2026 will still be a bit early... 2034 could work
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:55 AM   #46
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

some interesting articles:

World Cup 2026: United States dream of celebrating 250th anniversary of independence with World Cup final
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Cup-final.html

kazakhstan-considering-bid-to-host-2026-world-cup
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...2026-world-cup

morocco-to-host-the-2026-world-cup
http://en.starafrica.com/football/mo...world-cup.html
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #47
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1306

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
some interesting articles:

World Cup 2026: United States dream of celebrating 250th anniversary of independence with World Cup final
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Cup-final.html
Would that be the right motivation for England to actually put a team on the park and win the thing?
Walbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #48
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1046

I don't think any anniversary would make any difference to the motivation to win the World Cup.

The idea of playing the World Cup final in the USA on the 250th anniversary of independence is a good one. Assuming the hoopla of the day in the USA doesn't overshadow the sport at all.
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #49
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 849

According to Sunil Gulati

Quote:
“We’ll host it. No doubt,” Gulati, who is also a member of the FIFA executive council, predicted Thursday during a panel discussion that closed the two-day IMG World Congress of Sports in Los Angeles. “It’s at least as important for the international community to be in the United States as it is for the United States to have the international community here.”
Quote:
Gulati said the U.S. is so rich in infrastructure -- stadiums, airports, hotels and the like -- that if could play host to a World Cup next week if needed.

“But,” he added, “if we had a choice between hosting a World Cup next week or, I’ll say 11 1/2 years from now, I’d take 11 1/2 years from now.”

That would give U.S. Soccer and FIFA a chance to build support and develop sponsorships while thoroughly evaluating as many as 50 cities that Gulati expects to seek World Cup games.

Plus a 2026 tournament here has one more factor going for it: By scheduling the opener for July 4, a Saturday, FIFA could guarantee the U.S. a game on the country’s 250th birthday.

Or Gulati could ask for the final to be played that day in hopes the U.S. makes it to the championship game.

“Winning the World Cup at home? That would be pretty cool,” he said.

“Doing it tomorrow would not be the fulfillment of what a World Cup can bring to a country,” Weil said. “You need to have the lead-up. You need to have the preparation. You need to have the communication. The people locally also to start to think about [the] World Cup.”
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...410-story.html
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #50
OnwardsAndUpwards

Gulati sounds arrogant there. Of course the USA could host it any time. It could host several concurrently. Saying it is more important for the international community to come to the USA than for the USA to host the international community is not the way to win friends. It isn't true in any case unless you are of the opinion that the USA places no importance in hosting.

I think the US should host in 2026. Better be a bit more diplomatic and gracious though.
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #51
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 938

New Zealand are apparently keen to Co-Host the world Cup with Australia.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...with-australia

Could be a decent Idea as It could add 4 additional cities to an Australian Bid (Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin and Christchurch). Absolutely beautiful country and they have actually played in the world cup a couple of times (unlike one host who can only buy their way in), including being undefeated at the 2010 world cup finishing above world champions Italy in their group.

They Also have some class stadiums over there.

Eden Park (Auckland) 50,000

Westpac Stadium (Wellington) 34,500

Forsyth Barr Stadium (Dunedin) 30,000

New Christchurch Stadium 35,000 (the old stadium is being demolished due to damage from the 2011 earthquake)

poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #52
master_klon
_

Seems unlikely that Australia would want to co-host an event of this size.
It would be a good opportunity though to expand and polish up both Auckland and Wellington's stadiums, and Christchurch still hasn't entered the planning stage yet so their stadium could easily be bumped up to meet FIFA's 40k minimum. I doubt Dunedin stadium would be expandable by that much though. FIFA would need to make a lot of exceptions to allow us to host, but the biggest selling point for NZ will be that this would be the only opportunity for Oceania Confederation to host a World Cup...unless we find some oil.

Walbanger liked this post
master_klon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #53
OnwardsAndUpwards

Would adding New Zealand strengthen an Australian bid significantly? I'm not sure it would. I don't think I like the extra distance involved either. Perth to Auckland is 3,322 miles. By comparison Manaus to Porto Alegre is 1,947. There was enough travelling in Brazil! I know this can be mitigated with careful planning but it is not ideal. Australia would already be a very expensive World Cup for supporters attending from Europe and the Americas.

The only reason that Australia would go for this is if they didn't feel they had enough stadia of their own (excluding the possibility that NZ has great influence within FIFA that I'm unaware of). Which brings me to this question: which stadia would Australia use for a tournament and which would likely get the chop to allow 3 New Zealand grounds to be used?
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #54
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 4959

In theory you could simply assign one group to play all their group-stage games in NZ, and then the rest of the event takes place in Australia. Thus, the really long flights only occur once. You'd just have to make sure their Round of 16 match-ups take place in eastern Australia.
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #55
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 11379

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnwardsAndUpwards View Post
Would adding New Zealand strengthen an Australian bid significantly? I'm not sure it would.
It would be a trans-confederation bid, which certainly has its merits. I've been toying with the idea myself. As alluded above, the main merit of a transcontinental bid is that it allows bringing the World Cup in a weaker confederation, where it would otherwise be much harder to get it without external help. It would certainly boost an Australian bid.
Old April 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #56
fidalgo
the mitty

Likes (Received): 31140

The OZ/NZ bid would be great, but probably, Australia, would accept it in a 50/50 partition, and would make it more like the 2018 Portugal/Spain WC bid, in a way Australia gets 8 venues and New Zealand 4
fidalgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #57
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 4959

It would have to be like that because I don't see NZ having more than 3 WC capable venues. The Forsyth Barr stadium in Dunedin appears less viable for expansion to 40k, and that would likely be an expense not worth the effort for likely just 1 game.

1 Group of four teams would only need 2 stadiums, really. 3 at best. Then you'd only need the venues in Auckland, Wellington and possibly Christchurch, with each getting 2 games. Minimal investment required, then the lot could fly off to Australia for the rest of the tournament.

- - - -

I can even smooth over the co-hosting logistical issue: There's popular opinion favoring a joint Uruguay-Argentina bid for 2030. Since the Oceanic champion plays the 5th place team from Conmebol for rights to play in the WC, the two confederations could work out a deal. When NZ co-hosts with Australia Conmebol is only allotted 4 spots for that tournament, then when Arg-Uru co-hosts the Oceanic Champion faces a pay-off with the last Asian qualifier (as legacy from Australia's hosting). Barring further clarification of the co-hosting rules and parameters that's not a difficult or unfair solution to making these special occasions work. I think, anyway.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; April 14th, 2015 at 08:08 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:14 AM   #58
poguemahone

Likes (Received): 938

Quote:
Would adding New Zealand strengthen an Australian bid significantly? I'm not sure it would. I don't think I like the extra distance involved either. Perth to Auckland is 3,322 miles. By comparison Manaus to Porto Alegre is 1,947. There was enough travelling in Brazil! I know this can be mitigated with careful planning but it is not ideal. Australia would already be a very expensive World Cup for supporters attending from Europe and the Americas.

The only reason that Australia would go for this is if they didn't feel they had enough stadia of their own (excluding the possibility that NZ has great influence within FIFA that I'm unaware of). Which brings me to this question: which stadia would Australia use for a tournament and which would likely get the chop to allow 3 New Zealand grounds to be used?
It would save us having to build 3 completely new stadiums probably.

IF there was a Australia, New Zealand World Cup I'd expect these cities and stadiums used to be.

Australia
Sydney- Olympic Stadium 83,500 , Sydney Football Stadium 45,500
Melbourne - Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,000
Brisbane - Lang Park 52,500
Newcastle - Hunter Stadium 33,000 (currently going through a long term expansion to 40,000)
Perth - New Stadium (Currently under construction) 60,000
Canberra - New Stadium or expand current one
Gold Coast - Carrara Stadium currently being expanded to 40,000 for Commonwealth games
Adelaide Oval - Expansion finished last year, now 53,500

New Zealand
Auckland- Eden Park 50,000
Wellington- Westpac Stadium 34,500 (this can be expanded easily by another 1,000 like they did for the 2010 world cup qualifier)
Christchurch - New Stadium 35,000 (in planning atm so can be expanded)

Are FIFA really that strict about 40k stadiums though? Rustenberg was only 38k. Wellington would be a tough one to expand if so.

The above stadiums would give you 12 in 11 different cities.

You wouldn't need to play whole groups in just New Zealand too, flights to Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are roughly 3 hours so thats fine to play between them. Also would mean only 1 new stadiums would actually need to be built for the event in Canberra, but there are rough plans to build a new stadium there in the next 10-15 years anyway.

If you wanted to add another couple of cities and stadiums in, new stadiums could be built in Geelong or Townsville (which were part of the original world cup bid) there is also Docklands stadium in Melbourne which holds 53,000. Also could potentially add another 6k or so to Dunedin with an expansion in the corners of the current to bring it up to about 36k.
poguemahone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #59
OnwardsAndUpwards

The MCG would be a fantastic venue for the final.
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #60
RobH

Likes (Received): 16357

Quote:
The MCG would be a fantastic venue for the final.
In terms of capacity and history, yes. But otherwise, not so sure:

Advertisement

Tags
fifa world cup, world cup