21st Century `Capital` Building, Liverpool ..... - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 1178

Smile 21st Century `Capital` Building, Liverpool .....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/t...name_page.html

Capital refurbishment is geared to 21st century Oct 6 2006

By Tony Mcdonough Deputy Business Editor, Daily Post

DOWNING'S £10m refurbishment of the former Royal & Sun Alliance headquarters in Old Hall Street will add an extra 20,000 sq ft of office space.

Liverpool's biggest commercial landlord acquired the site in New Hall Place earlier this year in a record-breaking £51m deal. Shortly afterwards it was renamed the Capital. It includes the atrium entrance hall shared with the Liverpool Daily Post & Echo.

Downing has hired architects KKA who have come up with designs that will transform both the interior and exterior.

There are still around 2,000 Royal & Sun staff in the Capital and they will remain. Downing aims to bring more than 100,000 sq ft of space to the market. The extra space will take the entire site to almost 410,000 sq ft.

The new office space comes in the form of glazed extensions on the waterfront-facing upper floors and is subject to planning.

The changes planned include doubling the space of the 10,000 sq ft upper floors by the addition of glazed extensions, further glazing to crown each of the stair towers with light boxes, and a redesigned central core on all floors to create a new point of focus.

The office accommodation is divided over 17 floors. The largest covers 62,000 sq ft - easily the biggest floor space in Liverpool. The smallest is 10,000 sq ft, which can be broken down into individual suites of 5,000 sq ft.

George Downing said: "The changes reflect its shift from being the headquarters of a single company to a centre for a number of large-scale occupiers.

"They also bring the building into the 21st century.

"Business culture moves on. Issues such as energy costs, a contemporary image, intelligent use of space and environmental impact have a different resonance today from 1976, when the building opened.

"What has not changed is the fact The Capital has a fabulous location, vast floor plates and real architectural integrity."

Simon Reynolds, of GVA Grimley - joint agents with Keppie Massie - added: "The Capital is one of the most impressive office buildings outside of London.

"We think potential occupiers will be attracted by the large floor plates and the extensive facilities - which include three levels of underground car parking, a full-scale lecture theatre and indoor football pitch and catering facilities."

A planning application is expected to be submitted in the next few weeks.

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let`s see what they intend to do with the RSA as the `Capital` building, can they keep everyone happy by changing a well loved landmark and `icon` .....
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

I'm interested to see what they are proposing for this building. Will they effectively turn the building into a cube with glazed extensions, that could look stunning lit up at night.

Here is their website, but no info on the above plans yet.
KKA Architects

Last edited by JUXTAPOL; October 8th, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

I hope not.... this is an excellent building!

I am having terrible trouble logging on.. or the system allowing me to stay on.... this has took me about 40 minutes pissing about!

I may se you on another post... or maybe not... I have lost patience with it!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #4
City on The Water
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL View Post
I'm interested to see what they are proposing for this building. Will they effectively turn the building into a cube with glazed extensions, that could look stunning lit up at night.

Here is their website, but no info on the above plans yet.
KKA Architects
I hope they change the colour and a finish that is stain resistant.
City on The Water no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3766

I like the cubist echoing of the Liver building, but like much of that era is terrible at ground level, really pedistrian unfriendly. Hopefully they'll do something about that, dunno how much they can do, but...
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM   #6
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

I agree, the ground level is terrible, very anti-pedestrian being mostly carpark. Would be good if they could change the appearence to high quality, even if still mainly carpark.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Very excited about this, especially the idea of an external makeover. I'd say the RSI was currently the building with 'most potential' in terms of existing buildings in the city, and although some people love it as it is, I think it's desperately in need of a make over, to do it some real justice.

I hope that whatever they do to the exterior looks consistant, ie, they don't just cover it with glass extensions so it looks like an old council house with a dodgy conservatory whacked on the back. I hope they preserve the 'bulk' of the building but give it some new cladding and lighting which will make it stand out and look like a modern building on the ever changing sky-line.

Bring on the renders!
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Scarecrow
Fugly

Likes (Received): 2343

It needs some climbing plants and palm trees to make it look like a Babylonian hanging gardens. And some fountains Also a bar fronting the Strand would be nice.
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 69

It could turn out so good, yet it could also turn out so bad. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Veinticinco
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 64

The end of the sand castle, wow, it needed this. I'd hate to be the architect redesigning this as in my mind I can't think of any ideas . Glass extensions on the top floors, won't that make it look more of a box shape than the current pyramid-ish shape it is now? Anyway can't wait to see renders.
Veinticinco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 1178

Arrow AN entire floor of The Capital, the former Royal & SunAlliance HQ .....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/t...name_page.html

Office space let at former R&SA city centre base Oct 11 2006

Liverpool Echo

AN entire floor of The Capital, the former Royal & SunAlliance HQ in Old Hall Street bought for £51m by Liverpool developer George Downing this year, has been let.

Simon Reynolds, of joint agents GVA Grimley, revealed that talks are also under way with a government department and Liverpool health insurer Medicash to take space in the 14-storey blockwhich is still 60% occupied by R&SA staff.

At the official launch of plans for the building last night, he said: "The Capital is going to be a business centre in its own right."

Downing is embarking on a £10m refurbishment of the distinctive New Hall Place centre.

Under Downing's takeover terms, insurance giant R&SA has an opportunity to relinquish some of its space within The Capital in two years' time and in five years, freeing up more room to let.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"At the official launch of plans for the building last night, he said: "The Capital is going to be a business centre in its own right."

Watch this space .....
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #12
Tony Sebo
BANNED

It is... a mighty commercial ziggurat!!!

The only fault is as someone said below (apologies) the crap ground floor relation with the city.. this is a consequence, deliberately designed as such to 60s' ideas of streets and obsolete form... the wankers still take the same attitude to the likes of County Rd, so don't think we have reformed planners in Liverpool!

Crack in commercial/leisure and retail along all of its ground floor frontage and it will work as well as the ******* empire state!!!

It is as 'stain resistant' as the materials used on the Liver Buildings... remember how shitted up that used to be?

Leave it largely, design-wise, as it is... or knock it down for a real skyscraper or two!
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Likes (Received): 2

Ziggurat my arse!

Get rid!

Build towers!
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #14
Tony Sebo
BANNED

LoL!

If they where proposing towers I would fully back them... see what I mean about 'taste' though? Who is right about this building, those who hate it or those who respect it's form and scale?... exactly... so who should be craftong skylines?.... exactly!
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #15
City on The Water
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo View Post
LoL!

If they where proposing towers I would fully back them... see what I mean about 'taste' though? Who is right about this building, those who hate it or those who respect it's form and scale?... exactly... so who should be craftong skylines?.... exactly!
Just look at the RSA as it is. It can be reclad in stainfree materials and light colours - maybe different colours on different facets. Have insulation under the cladding too to make it full eco. Then do something useful at ground level to give the buildings human appeal from the pavement.

The building then will be dynamite to look at. It has wonderful shapes to it. What they propose to do with it, I don't know in looks. A total reclad it needs whether the building is expanded or not.
City on The Water no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #16
Gareth
Keltlandia

Yep, never been a fan of the Rivita look to be honest. I hope that's considerably toned down, providing what they replace it with is not more ugly, of course.

Last edited by Gareth; October 16th, 2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typo!
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #17
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by City on The Water View Post
Just look at the RSA as it is. It can be reclad in stainfree materials and light colours - maybe different colours on different facets. Have insulation under the cladding too to make it full eco. Then do something useful at ground level to give the buildings human appeal from the pavement.

The building then will be dynamite to look at. It has wonderful shapes to it. What they propose to do with it, I don't know in looks. A total reclad it needs whether the building is expanded or not.
Totally agree with these suggestions, get it clad and people will realise what a wonderful building it is. For some reason the sandstone rivita (nice comparison) cladding makes it loose some of it's shape and form. I don't agree that we should tone it down - this building was made to be noticed! Shine it up and light it up, this is a real overlooked gem and it needs to sparkle again...
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #18
Gareth
Keltlandia

When I referred to toned down, I just meant the Riveta. The size and shape of this building alone makes it distinctive anyhow. Providing what replaces the Riveta is actually a worthy replacement, hence my earlier musings about the chances of this going either splendidly right or disasterously wrong.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM   #19
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 2049

Question Planning approval is sought for up-grade.....

[QUOTE=JUXTAPOL;10071829]I'm interested to see what they are proposing for this building. Will they effectively turn the building into a cube with glazed extensions, that could look stunning lit up at night.

Planning application published today in the DP, no details other than alterations to inside and outside of the Capital.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM   #20
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 325

i think shiny black stone would be nice similar to the new pier head development
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement