LONDON - Olympic Stadium (60,000) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronika View Post
Of stadia since 68 (because before that was a different era for comparisons) London comes last in my opinion, purely regarding design elements and ambience rather than functionality.

72 Munich amazing! 1st of the stadiums for the Olympics that said something.

76 Since then we had Montreal it went wrong but amazing nevertheless!

80 Moscow, a stadium that already existed but a very historic and imposing colosieum.

84 La, they didnt exactly do anything did they?

88 Seoul not as radical as Munich and Montreal but certainly a statement that asia was modern.

92 Barcelona has to be the dissapointment of the Olympic century.

96 followed by another dissapointment in Atlanta with its temporary effort.

00 Sydney yes back on track, not radical by a Munich or montreal standards but not a dissapointment either.

04 Athens, yes! Without complete reconstruction managed to create an almost flawless olympic arena almost as good as Munich with those beautiful curved rooves.

08 Beijing, back to Munich and Montreal radical statements amazing stadium that I can tell you when you visit it for first time its difficult to grasp how it was constructed.

12 London OH dear, I know it has to go down to 25 after games but still its just so... standard.

1st Munich 72
2nd Athens 04
3rd Beijing 08
4th Moscow 80
5th Sydney 00
6th Seoul 88
7th Montreal 76
8th Barcelona 92
9th LA 84
10th Atlanta 96
11th London 12
last perhaps...
but ure forgetting that Chicago will prob host the games in a temporary stadium and possibly many hosts after that...is London then not setting a trend? moving the games forward to a place where gigantic white elephants( of which there are enough examples) do NOT simply get built each time the games come around? is it not making the games more accessible to all cities by proving that a temporary structure is perfectly fine to meet IAAF and IOC standards?
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #22
veronika

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
last perhaps...
but ure forgetting that Chicago will prob host the games in a temporary stadium and possibly many hosts after that...is London then not setting a trend? moving the games forward to a place where gigantic white elephants( of which there are enough examples) do NOT simply get built each time the games come around? is it not making the games more accessible to all cities by proving that a temporary structure is perfectly fine to meet IAAF and IOC standards?
I agree, but my argument is as you also said temporary can still be inspiring, radical anything-temporary does not mean minimal and boring and a design that almost beam for beam is the same as 3 or 4 other stadia out there at the moment.
veronika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:52 PM   #23
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

I must admit, I'm also kind of disappointed with the final looks of the olympic stadium. The design used for bidding was much better and much more propriate for the year of organization, after all, we are talking about 2012.
Well, this one is not that bad, but it's too ordinary for sure. Anyways, I do not doubt in the quality of the games everything will be great

prp002 liked this post
MasonicStage™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:53 PM   #24
Mo Rush

Quote:
I agree, but my argument is as you also said temporary can still be inspiring, radical anything-temporary does not mean minimal and boring and a design that almost beam for beam is the same as 3 or 4 other stadia out there at the moment.
yip i think ive posted a few of those sister stadia.

Im impressed with the advice from CABE though. they were a bit **** with the liverpool anfield design but understood the dynamics of the temporary olympic structure. they suggested the wrap be raised to show the trusses and not hide the temporary concept. as a truss loving person i couldn't agree more.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:55 PM   #25
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 285

Top Olympic stadiums:

1st Athens 04
2nd Beijing 08 (the roof from inside is just too "enclosing")
3th Sydney 00
4th Moscow 80
5th Munich 72
6th Seoul 88
7th Montreal 76
8th Barcelona 92
9th LA 84
10th Atlanta 96
11th London 12
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #26
veronika

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Top Olympic stadiums:

1st Athens 04
3th Sydney 00
4th Moscow 80
5th Munich 72
6th Seoul 88
7th Montreal 76
8th Barcelona 92
9th LA 84
10th Atlanta 96
11th London 12
MP our lists are similar so it would seem that we have similar taste so I dont understand how Munich is 5th? Fair enough athens beijing but Moscow in front of Munich please explain?
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #27
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10313

It's not just the fact it's temporary; it's more to do with the horrendous rising cost of steel and the fact money spent on temporary frills is better spent on permanent frills.

The stadium will sit in one of the most extensively landscaped parks, the biggest of which haven't been seen in Europe for 150 years, and be surrounded by a piece of artwork that will celebrate the history and future of the Olympic movement. Pretty spectacular if you ask me.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #28
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Top Olympic stadiums:

1st Athens 04
3th Sydney 00
4th Moscow 80
5th Munich 72
6th Seoul 88
7th Montreal 76
8th Barcelona 92
9th LA 84
10th Atlanta 96
11th London 12
i loved munich. for its time it was breakthrough and still is quite an icon.
not a fan of the birds nest that much!! montreal is awful. athens was a great roof and quite iconic. moscow is ok and so was seoul. barcelona just had a great feel!

LA bleh
atlanta --shoot me now

the monstrosities in montreal and atlanta pushes london up that list.
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM   #29
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 285

lol sorry... mistake... i ment this:

1st Athens 04
3th Sydney 00 (movable stands which moved upwards, the design is very pleasing)
4th Munich 72 (originality to the max, but the tent like roof was overdone)
5th Seoul 88
6th Moscow 80
7th London 12
8th Barcelona 92
9th LA 84
10th Atlanta 96
11th Montreal 76
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:07 PM   #30
veronika

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
It's not just the fact it's temporary; it's more to do with the horrendous rising cost of steel and the fact money spent on temporary frills is better spent on permanent frills.

The stadium will sit in one of the most extensively landscaped parks, the biggest of which haven't been seen in Europe for 150 years, and be surrounded by a piece of artwork that will celebrate the history and future of the Olympic movement. Pretty spectacular if you ask me.
I guess we agree to disagree because regardless of media spin for most people the games is about the two weeks its on and not the legacy. If the government really cared about long term rejuvination of east london believe me they have the money to have made decent basic sports facilities there without an Olympic games. Afterall didnt they spend about 10 Olympic games money on a certain recent and pointless war and ongoing occupation of a country that has got absolutely nothing to do with England?
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:10 PM   #31
Mo Rush

Quote:
I guess we agree to disagree because regardless of media spin for most people the games is about the two weeks its on and not the legacy. If the government really cared about long term rejuvination of east london believe me they have the money to have made decent basic sports facilities there without an Olympic games. Afterall didnt they spend about 10 Olympic games money on a certain recent and pointless war and ongoing occupation of a country that has got absolutely nothing to do with England?
look thats not what happens in the real world.

governments dont spend this kind of money unless its accelerated by a mega-event. we are only getting major transport upgrades in cape town due to 2010, without it would have taken 10 years more. in the real world mega and not so mega events play a vital role in projects that in some cases have been proposed decades back.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:09 AM   #32
hoosier

Likes (Received): 72

The Olympic Stadium in Atlanta later became the home of the local professional baseball franchise, the Atlanta Braves. Also, the 71,000+ seat Georgia Dome was completed 4 years before the games.
hoosier está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM   #33
bing222

Likes (Received): 12

sydney 2000 stadium was the best ever stadium for the olympics

chibimatty, prp002 liked this post
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM   #34
AATAATAATAAT

Likes (Received): 4

Shall we open a new thread to compare all these olympic stadiums?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #35
bing222

Likes (Received): 12

when will they start construction on the stadium ? ? ? ?
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM   #36
TallBox

Likes (Received): 633

middle of this year
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM   #37
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
middle of this year
No its next month May! hence the start of the thread..by me!
everything has moved forward by 3 months........
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM   #38
IronMan89

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing222 View Post
sydney 2000 stadium was the best ever stadium for the olympics

I agree with you... not only the stadium but Australia is a great place for Olympic Games
IMO, the London's Games aren't about legacy, and this is what disturbs me the most. I wonder if is there any "big" stadium in England which could host a major athletic event?? If so I apologize but If there isn't, what legacy do you let by resizing the olympic stadium to only 25.000 seater? So appart from the Olympic swimming pool and the "Velodrome", I don't see major upgrade from London with those games
IronMan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #39
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10313

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan89 View Post
IMO, the London's Games aren't about legacy, and this is what disturbs me the most. I wonder if is there any "big" stadium in England which could host a major athletic event??
Wembley Stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan89 View Post
what legacy do you let by resizing the olympic stadium to only 25.000 seater? So appart from the Olympic swimming pool and the "Velodrome", I don't see major upgrade from London with those games
Apart from the largest urban park built in Europe in 150 years, extensive new transport links, a whole new residential city with 50% affordable housing, a massive swathe of former toxic industrial wasteland regenerated into natural wetlands and nature reserves and a selection of top quality sports venues suitable in size for the local community and council to maintain to high standards for the next century. Yeah, no major upgrades whatsoever.

prp002 liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM   #40
IronMan89

Likes (Received): 16

Wembley stadium can host track and field??

A park... yes the legacy will be something ecological... politics are just waiting pressure to do things like that... It will be interesting to call your 25.000 seat stadium "the London Olympic Stadium" in 20 years...
OG really need change I think... England infrastructure doesn't need the games to be developped anymore while we see so many poor or not so poor countries that aren't able to build infrastrucures...Athens games for this reason were good, same for Beijing, hope we don't go in the Atlanta, London direction in 2016, like 2014
IronMan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics