CHARLOTTE - Bank of America Stadium (75,525) - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #21
Brent H.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
It could have third tier though and make it a 100.000+ venue. And maybe a roof? I do not know if the stadium is always sold out. But enlarged with a roof it would be one of the very best in US to me.
73,000 is just about right for Charlotte, since its a smaller city compared to New York, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington. The NFL has strict blackout rules, stadiums must sell a certain percentage of available seats or the game is not televised locally. Teams typically build between 60-80,000 seat stadiums, most teams can sell that many tickets, the Washington Redskins are a notable exception, since they have over 90,000 seats, even so they still have a season ticket waiting list that is a mile long and every game sells out. College teams dont have to worry about these blackout rules, so they just build as big as they can. NFL stadiums may be a little bit small, while college stadiums a bit large.

An interesting thing about Bank of America Stadium is that its one of very few NFL stadiums that was built without using taxpayer money.
Brent H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #22
pawel19-87

Likes (Received): 1159

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbtuohy/3804653070/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazboy/4109659570/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leslie_shearer/4142315619/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapshot_guy/4267197423/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstrahler/4501520824/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flc/4461745535/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hazboy/4108355344/

will101 liked this post
pawel19-87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #23
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
What do you want with all your threads? You don't have anything to tell us about those stadiums, and what do you want us to tell them? Most people will just say 'wow, that's a cool stadium' or 'why doesn't that stadium have a roof?', that's it.
As sercan said, they get yanks to tell us about these stadiums that I wouldn't know. Plus, sercan gets pics I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
If you wanna make a thread about every 60k stadium in the world, I'd say do it somewhere else.
So let me get this straight, in the stadiums section, you're complaining about sercan posting pictures of.... stadiums? Where else would he post them?

And I'd be quite happy for sercan to post a thread about every 60k+ stadium in the world, since they tend to be big (metaphorically and literally) and important. And there's not that many of them anyway, only about 100 or so (I think, a guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3
I also wondered about that. While it's nice to see a few, I think the others are redundant. And it's not like I ever intend to go see any of them. I'm not even an NFL fan at all.
I know rover is banned but I'll speak for anyone who says anything like this anyway. I can't afford to spend money on a US stadium tour (I'd love to, but I can't) neither am I an nfl fan (since when did your enjoyment of stadiums depend on whether you follow the sport?) but I like this stadium, a lot, and I enjoy good pics and good talk about it. This thread is harmless, all he's doing is saying hey I have some pics of a pretty big, nice important stadium, I'll make a thread for anyone who is interested, and I am and I'm thankful, so thanks sercan!

I'm a kind of guy who, in liking stadiums, likes to see them all, in case I miss a good one.

Has anyone got pics of the facade and outside? I remember it being quite good but this thread mainly has interior shots (albeit, good ones).
Richo83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #24
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 68

It's a good stadium. 73,504 is perfect for Charlotte too (the Panthers draw from all over Carolina, so that helps).

Sightlines might be the best in America, and I'm not exaggerating. Not a bad seat in the lot.

It has some drawbacks, tickets are really expensive though I'm not sure how they compare to other NFL stadiums, and the lower level is usually populated by people with no interest in cheering and that makes for a dull atmosphere. Security is somewhat overzealous too.

Access is fantastic, officially it's in Third Ward, which is the northwestern section of Charlotte's CBD, or Uptown as it's called here. Being Uptown means it has great access from various forms of public transit, the CATS (bus) transit center is Uptown and LYNX (light rail) obviously goes Uptown, though it currently only runs between Uptown and South Charlotte.

The aforementioned sightlines are great for both American football and soccer, it fits a soccer pitch fabulously too. They got around 60,000 there in March for Mexico B v Iceland B and it created a good atmosphere.

It was on the World Cup bid list but didn't make the cut down to 18, I was upset by that as I thought it was more deserving than the Georgia Dome as it's clearly a superior venue but I understand the selection of Atlanta over Charlotte given international appeal.

Someone mentioned that it's a rarity in the NFL in terms of being a privately funded, team owned stadium. That's true, in fact it's one of four in the NFL that the team owns, the other 27 were built with tax dollars. So that's pretty cool, Richardson (the majority owner of the Panthers) is held in high regard in the Carolinas and that's one reason as to why.

As to the roof question, it's for two reason. 1) Being built by the team, it's very expensive as is and a roof would've greatly added to the costs. 2) Charlotte has good weather in the Autumn, the sun isn't terribly intense and usually you get a dry day.

The video screens have been enlarged but they're still small, the reason for this is the same reason I gave for the lack of a roof. It's easy to have nicer things when someone else is writing the checks, the Panthers have to be somewhat frugal.

As a random bit of trivia, if anyone cares, this is the second stadium in Charlotte to host professional football. In the 70's Charlotte had a team in the WFL, the Hornets. They played at American Legion Memorial Stadium, that's still in active use as well.

Last edited by Bobby3; July 26th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #25
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel19-87 View Post
If only we could physically lift and turn EVERY stadium so that it has a perfect view of the city.

If you can't tell, this pic is 'shopped.
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #26
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1010 View Post
If it matters, a big thread was tried in the past. It failed because there were too many simultaneous conversations to maintain a coherent thread. I think separate threads works much better.

Now if there's too many for people's tastes, I don't mind suggesting a separate sub-forums by sports.
That actually may be a good idea. Or do one by leagues.
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #27
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 363

did someone ask for exterior?

will101 liked this post
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #28
PrevaricationComplex
Inselaffe

Likes (Received): 1629

For the reasons bobby listed, this is one of my favourite American stadiums. without knowing or having seen the other 3, those are the others that top the list.

Bit wierd especially for an NFL stadium that it is has more spectators at the ends of the upper tier than at the sidelines, i'm guessing planning reasons to do with the footprint of the stadium? cant imagaine it was done by design with no constraints.

However its total folly that its not in the U.S bid. Not being an 'international city' is no reason to discount it and its neither here nor there to football(soccer) fans and more importantly to FIFA requirements and minimum (or even ideal) technical specs. It has i'm guesing, good lighting from what i can see, thats a real plus. A wide(er) pitch, also a plus. And natural grass shouldn't be a problem if it doesnt already have it. It has good transport. So FIFA would look far more favourably to this compared to the others on the bid. These are factors that haven't even been listed by by USAbid in choosing stadia, so leads me to wonder how well run that bid is. It's understandable why forumers dont get why these things are more important in stadia spec than a 100k cap and retractable roofs and giant screens etc etc but the bid team?

The only thing i'm not sure of is how well it could cope with FIFA's corporate and media 'partners' requirements. Things like sponsors hospitality spaces, vvip treatment etc which is a little more than the NFL is used to but im sure it wont be a problem than cant be fixed. FIFA also require shelter for their press area which are always huge however S.A managed this with one of their stadia so cant imagaine why it would be an insurmaountable problem.

Other than that the only thing that could hinder charlotte as a potential world cup bid city is clustering (the only reason seattle wont get a look in) and a cursory look at my globe says that should be fine.

Madness utter madness.

[edit] got bearings wrong looking at rantanamos pic, endzones have less seats.

Last edited by PrevaricationComplex; July 28th, 2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: factual inaccuracy corrected.
PrevaricationComplex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #29
Bobby3

The ACC Championship Game is here on the 4th. Charlotte is on pace to be the highest attended edition, which wouldn't be hard considering the last time it broke 70k was the first one in Jacksonville (72,000). The Charlotte Observer said 65,000 seats are already sold with the second team still TBD. It'll host next year too, the city also wants to extend the deal.
Old November 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #30
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
The ACC Championship Game is here on the 4th. Charlotte is on pace to be the highest attended edition, which wouldn't be hard considering the last time it broke 70k was the first one in Jacksonville (72,000). The Charlotte Observer said 65,000 seats are already sold with the second team still TBD. It'll host next year too, the city also wants to extend the deal.
The question that needs to be asked is this:

Why the hell has the game been played anywhere but Charlotte the past four years?
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #31
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
The question that needs to be asked is this:

Why the hell has the game been played anywhere but Charlotte the past four years?
The ACC was expecting a large presence from either Miami or Florida State in the championship, but that has really not been the case.

When you have Virginia Tech and Boston College in the game two years in a row, attendance won't be great. Virginia Tech travels well, but going down to Florida at the beginning of December for a game isn't ideal. People are tired.

I predict a packed house at this year's game, or close to it.
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #32
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
The ACC was expecting a large presence from either Miami or Florida State in the championship, but that has really not been the case.

When you have Virginia Tech and Boston College in the game two years in a row, attendance won't be great. Virginia Tech travels well, but going down to Florida at the beginning of December for a game isn't ideal. People are tired.

I predict a packed house at this year's game, or close to it.
If NC State can take care of business against Maryland, this game's gonna be a hit.
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #33
Bobby3

Well NC State did what NC State does, so it's Va Tech v Florida State. It'll still sell out though, as en1044 said, the Hokies travel well and Charlotte isn't terribly far from VT, plus they have a large alumni base in greater Charlotte. Plus general ACC fans like them, they still aren't very accepting of the two other former Big East teams, but they like VT.

Charlotte bid to host back when the game was announced, the reason given for the Florida sites is that they wanted to experiment and see how other places would do. They knew Charlotte would get a good crowd, like Greensboro (or Charlotte itself) with basketball.

I expect they'll bring UNC to the bowl again, would be easy for UNC fans to get to and with the economy being crappy, that'd make sense.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #34
en1044
Unregistered User

Well at this point, I think it's a lock for the ACCC to sell out. And from the looks of things, its going to pretty much be a VT home game.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #35
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Well at this point, I think it's a lock for the ACCC to sell out. And from the looks of things, its going to pretty much be a VT home game.
Do you have figures on ticket sales? I am sure FSU will bring at least a solid 12-15,000 with them.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #36
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Do you have figures on ticket sales? I am sure FSU will bring at least a solid 12-15,000 with them.
FSU only received 10K in tickets from the ACC. They have less than 4k left after last night.
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:42 AM   #37
en1044
Unregistered User

Virginia Tech benefited from clinching a birth in the ACCCG a week early. They received 10k tickets to sell, but have already sold them.

Last edited by en1044; December 1st, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
en1044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:25 PM   #38
dande

Likes (Received): 27

Reminds me of the Arrowhead stadium a bit.
dande no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #39
Bobby3

Congrats to VT, they were excellent and their fans were too. We had AWFUL weather today. It was cold, and there was sleet but they still showed up in force for their team. Florida State brought some fans too, so credit to them.

Gaston Gazette says 72,379, which is shy of a sell-out, but still a very good turn out for the weather.

Something I found kind of funny, anyway. This game is branded for Dr Pepper as the Dr Pepper Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, but the stadium has an exclusive contract with Pepsi, so you couldn't buy Dr Pepper from the soda fountains.
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #40
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Something I found kind of funny, anyway. This game is branded for Dr Pepper as the Dr Pepper Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, but the stadium has an exclusive contract with Pepsi, so you couldn't buy Dr Pepper from the soda fountains.
Dr Pepper is independent from Coke or Pepsi (in the US). It actually is more often found with Pepsi products, as Mr. Pibb is a Coke product.
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
charlotte, north carolina