San José Development News - Page 1234 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2020, 09:17 PM   #24661
jpk122s

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I think we need to take a step back and see how useful more protected bike lanes would be, in my experience building a bike trail along a river or creek is more useful for cyclists, even if it doesn't get us on some magazine's top 10 bike friendly cities, because people are scared to ride their bikes on the street, and that is fair, at every single cross street is an opportunity for a car to cut you off or hit you. grade separated bike trails like the Guadalupe River Trail and Los Gatos Creek trail allow people to go for many many miles without ever encountering a possible car collision, which is why many people use them. Filing in the gaps in the Coyote Creek Trail, adding a Silver Creek Trail, and better connecting the Penitencia Creek Trail to the Coyote Creek Trail, Silver Creek Trail and Five Wounds trail, and connecting the Los Gatos Creek Trail to the Guadalupe River Trail will be vastly better than adding so many miles of bike lanes on the main streets.

Biking on something like Montague Expwy is scary AF, and adding a bit of buffer is only a slight improvement, people might be comfortable using that as a last mile resort, but not main commute. Even seeing cars going 40mph 20 feet from you can be scary to people. They pretty much need to feel isolated from car traffic. No one wants to be like Liccardo and get hit by an SUV just biking straight, and that is a fear going on any bike lane adjacent to car traffic.
I think it's not a case of either/or. We need both protected bike lanes /and/ more trail connections. The reality is that most destinations are on streets, so if you want to bike somewhere for a reason other than recreation, you are going to have to bike on a street at some point. Case in point is DTSJ where San Fernando allows access to SJSU and other downtown destinations.

Regarding trails, the one I really want to see is Coyote Creek trail from Berryessa BART to Watson Park under 101. I tried biking to Berryessa BART last week from downtown and while the downtown bike lanes on are pretty good now, the Mabury/Taylor connection to BART is not bike friendly at all and will be a mess with traffic once BART opens. Don't expect anyone except lycra-clad enthusiasts to bike from BART when it opens. The city really failed by not getting this trail connection built already.

CAAndrew, flubuk liked this post
jpk122s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2020, 04:57 AM   #24662
SJ_7Treez408

Likes (Received): 46

[QUOTE

https://apnews.com/e1e12700aafd127fff5ff89ac31d73dc

[/QUOTE]
pretty exciting, and cool looking building but, how tall? why do they always do this? who cares about how many stories and the square footage, the bottom line is height in feet specifically, that's what we care about when it comes to our city, with all our short buildings, we're all waiting for that big news of buildings to start hitting over 300 ft, I look forward to that day, hell that's mainly why I keep coming back to this thing from time to time, yet they always omit the height in these articles, it seems like standard practice, maybe cuz they don't know yet? or keeping it to themselves for some reason idk, but it's dumb and makes no sense, to leave out the most important detail like that, and stories doesn't tell it, we all know those vary
SJ_7Treez408 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 09:10 AM   #24663
cardinal2007

Likes (Received): 2484

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk122s View Post
I think it's not a case of either/or. We need both protected bike lanes /and/ more trail connections. The reality is that most destinations are on streets, so if you want to bike somewhere for a reason other than recreation, you are going to have to bike on a street at some point. Case in point is DTSJ where San Fernando allows access to SJSU and other downtown destinations.

Regarding trails, the one I really want to see is Coyote Creek trail from Berryessa BART to Watson Park under 101. I tried biking to Berryessa BART last week from downtown and while the downtown bike lanes on are pretty good now, the Mabury/Taylor connection to BART is not bike friendly at all and will be a mess with traffic once BART opens. Don't expect anyone except lycra-clad enthusiasts to bike from BART when it opens. The city really failed by not getting this trail connection built already.
I don't think I need to add much to that, I think they can be good as a first/last mile, though even that may be too much stress for most people. There are not trails within a block of every place in the city, but better coverage would much improve things, creeks are not the only ROW, there are abandoned sidings, areas under power lines, and above water lines like the Hetch-Hetchy trail in MV.

jpk122s, CAAndrew liked this post
cardinal2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 05:35 PM   #24664
Pivot

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk122s View Post
My wife commutes by bike to work downtown and we both bike for most errands, restaurants, breweries, etc. We are definitely in the camp of liking the "protected" bike lanes and looking for more of them; they make it safer for getting to many of our favorite downtown spots. We still get cars stopped in the bike lanes (especially on San Fernando near SJSU) but much less frequently than in the old system. We also make use of trails and commuter bike paths regularly so connecting these better would be ideal.

For fun we recently took some Lyft e-bikes from The Alameda to the bay using San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail and tried the protected bikeway along San Thomas on the ride home. We really could use this type of setup on all major expressways in the future.

Here is the recent VTA/Santa Clara County study/plan for investment in future trails and bike superhighways. https://tinyurl.com/r6hembd

As an aside, we took the new 523 from the Meridian Ave stop to Valley Fair recently (7 minute trip). Really liking having an express bus on WSC finally, was fast and no parking to deal with. would have been even better with original BRT plan.

CAAndrew, Sandmannn, flubuk liked this post
Pivot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 08:20 PM   #24665
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I don't think I need to add much to that, I think they can be good as a first/last mile, though even that may be too much stress for most people. There are not trails within a block of every place in the city, but better coverage would much improve things, creeks are not the only ROW, there are abandoned sidings, areas under power lines, and above water lines like the Hetch-Hetchy trail in MV.
A lot of the anxiety is understandable but avoidable as it is the result of a system built on compromises that have tended to defer to the demands of cars. The meridian bike lanes are useful, but scary AF as there's no protection from vehicles that regularly drive at 40+ MPH, and the lanes end at Willow, leaving a big gap between there and getting to Race Steet's (also unprotected) lanes. And having a bus pass you within feet on Willow (because they didn't remove any parking) is similarly nerve-wracking. Yeah, it's no surprise why my wife and other, more risk-averse, individuals have little interest.

On-street cycling infra can be comfortable, but only if we design it to be, and CSJ DOT generally hasn't yet done that. That requires both functional safety measures--mode separation, barriers--as well as designing for how the brain perceives the safety of a space (via ideas like cognitive architecture), which are often hard to measure and historically anathema to old-school traffic engineers.

To their credit, the DOT bike people are working on a shoe-string budget built from a patchwork of funding sources. Also to their credit, they've focused heavily on testing their designs before going all-in.

The irony is that, for a fraction of the cost of massive projects like the BART extension, a second trans-bay tube, Boston's Big Dig, or the Alaskan Way Viaduct, we could build out a bike and ped network that would, with our fair climate, make this one of the most bike-able and walkable regions on the planet.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:26 AM   #24666
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1847

well, 2019 wasn't too terrible a year for san jose. here's to hoping that 2020 can be an even better one. happy new year all! here's a little recap for dtsj and surrounding neighborhoods, feel free to chime in if i missed anything.

completed:
the james
aura
sjsu rec/aquatic center
villas on the park
2nd street studios
river corporate center III

under construction:
silvery
the grad
miro
adobe 4
200 park
platform 16
sjsu science building
bank of italy remodel
bank of the west remodel
penny's remodel
vespaio
715 w. julian
modera san pedro
the firestone
sparq
notre dame expansion
sp 78
nsp block b/f
nsp studios
park ave apts
ohlone silver
sparta student housing
our lady of vang
189 w santa clara

probable ground breakings in 2020:
fountain alley offices
camera 12 remodel
the keystone
museum place
starcity nsp
garden gate
moxy hotel
292 stockton hotel/residential
even hotel (n stockton ave)
Old January 3rd, 2020, 07:35 PM   #24667
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 1333

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ose-google/amp

Expansion of the Perry Arrillaga Campus on North First... though the buildings and parking garages look terrible. I hope the massive parking garage towers are convertible to office in the future.

Quote:
The new buildings in the tech complex would add 1.52 million square feet of offices to north San Jose, the documents that Peery Arrillaga has filed with the city show. Five 10-story office buildings, along with five parking structures... If the new proposal is granted approval, the completed north San Jose development would total 2.25 million square feet...[up from] 2.03 million square feet.
Bizjournal link though no additional info.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/..._news_headline

Last edited by Sharkcity; January 4th, 2020 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added bizjournal link
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:44 PM   #24668
Dirk_Birkin

Likes (Received): 1847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkcity View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/...ose-google/amp

Expansion of the Perry Arrillaga Campus on North First... though the buildings and parking garages look terrible. I hope the massive parking garage towers are convertible to office in the future.
bravo to peery arrillaga, they're really going for it. avalos is focusing solely on google leasing the expansion. he forgets that even if google ends up not interested in the buildings, there's the google effect as seen in moffett park. that's a scenario i would rather see play out where there's some diversity in the companies locating here. and even if google does lease the entire project, there's room for more development of this type in every direction from here. the city better get moving on the 4th st/zanker extension quick!
Dirk_Birkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:18 PM   #24669
gillynova

Likes (Received): 1183

I have some pictures of the area on my phone which I will upload after work.

This area is seriously a nightmare when driving after work hours... adding this much office space is going to make this area even more unbearable. A minor solution that I can see here is a company bus running from Berryessa BART station -> Berryessa Road -> Commercial Street -> Old Bayshore Hwy -> Bering Drive, but even Oakland Road/Commercial Street can be frustrating.

Like SharkCity said also, these buildings look terrible. The bright side to me is the massing around this area which people will see when they're on 101/880

Little-T liked this post

Last edited by gillynova; January 3rd, 2020 at 09:23 PM.
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 10:43 PM   #24670
Little-T

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

This area is seriously a nightmare when driving after work hours... adding this much office space is going to make this area even more unbearable. A minor solution that I can see here is a company bus running from Berryessa BART station -> Berryessa Road -> Commercial Street -> Old Bayshore Hwy -> Bering Drive, but even Oakland Road/Commercial Street can be frustrating.

Like SharkCity said also, these buildings look terrible. The bright side to me is the massing around this area which people will see when they're on 101/880
Have to agree that the area is already a traffic nightmare, primarily in the evening. Southbound 1st street from Charcot to Matrix is less than a crawl as cars attempt to get onto Brokaw and Matrix/101. The PayPal parking lot even gets backed up as only one car at a time attempts to enter 1st street before Karina and Karina is all backed up with PayPal traffic. Brokaw is a crawl from Technology (near the Doubletree) to Old Oakland Road. While the increase in commercial office space and the jobs that come with it are great, this area will not be able to handle the influx of traffic. Ever try to turn left onto Brokaw from the 101 southbound exit? That too can be a nightmare. I dread to see the traffic increase once the buildings begin to be occupied. YIKES!!

gillynova, CAAndrew liked this post
Little-T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:26 PM   #24671
robertee

Likes (Received): 1594

Update on Modera SPS retail -- they have leased up the Almaden Ave retail spaces with Carbon Health taking the space next to AT&T:

The San Pedro spaces are still "pending", but I assume they'll get locked in soon enough. It looks like they lost the interest they had in one of the Paseo spaces, but those are going to be the hardest to lease.
Old January 4th, 2020, 01:46 AM   #24672
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-T View Post
Have to agree that the area is already a traffic nightmare, primarily in the evening. Southbound 1st street from Charcot to Matrix is less than a crawl as cars attempt to get onto Brokaw and Matrix/101. The PayPal parking lot even gets backed up as only one car at a time attempts to enter 1st street before Karina and Karina is all backed up with PayPal traffic. Brokaw is a crawl from Technology (near the Doubletree) to Old Oakland Road. While the increase in commercial office space and the jobs that come with it are great, this area will not be able to handle the influx of traffic. Ever try to turn left onto Brokaw from the 101 southbound exit? That too can be a nightmare. I dread to see the traffic increase once the buildings begin to be occupied. YIKES!!
Bring on the traffic! Hopefully employees will realize they can just take light rail there, since the development is between the Karina and Metro stops. Or they can sit in horrendous traffic if they wish.

bobby_guz_man liked this post
arturo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 02:05 AM   #24673
quadshock

Likes (Received): 671

Honestly really awful traffic is what's needed for people to take transit seriously. Hope it all works well with the new VTA plans (more concentrated lines, more frequent service)
quadshock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 11:33 AM   #24674
Discophil

Likes (Received): 26

Urg.

Last edited by Discophil; January 4th, 2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: double post
Discophil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 11:35 AM   #24675
Discophil

Likes (Received): 26

Not again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Birkin View Post
bravo to peery arrillaga, they're really going for it. avalos is focusing solely on google leasing the expansion. he forgets that even if google ends up not interested in the buildings, there's the google effect as seen in moffett park. that's a scenario i would rather see play out where there's some diversity in the companies locating here. and even if google does lease the entire project, there's room for more development of this type in every direction from here. the city better get moving on the 4th st/zanker extension quick!
Urg. The architectural design is so frustrating again We seem to be going backwards in time. The only good thing about this is perhaps we reach the late 1960's and at least we'll have late mid-century aesthetic.
Discophil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 06:05 PM   #24676
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo View Post
Bring on the traffic! Hopefully employees will realize they can just take light rail there, since the development is between the Karina and Metro stops. Or they can sit in horrendous traffic if they wish.
Even with terrible traffic, PT is still only so-so; route 60 would still take 20 minutes to get from Milpitas BART to the Peery site, on top of whatever BART trip. So, yeah, we're pretty much leaning heavily on LRT at this site. Hopefully we can align residential land use along southern portions of the route, and that way make highest use of the system.

As much as I argue online with others about big transit projects, I personally think that--if we're already committed to the cost of building BART out to SC anyway--getting BART to Mineta (if not also 1st @ Brokaw) would blow up the job scene in the area; a single-seat ride from the East Bay would be very attractive to a lot of workers.
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 07:08 PM   #24677
kmzizzle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadshock View Post
Honestly really awful traffic is what's needed for people to take transit seriously. Hope it all works well with the new VTA plans (more concentrated lines, more frequent service)
VTA is too slow even as a last resort, and even with more frequency
kmzizzle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 07:16 PM   #24678
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmzizzle View Post
VTA is too slow even as a last resort, and even with more frequency
Maybe the city is just too big and crowded for VTA/public transit to take roots. Just doesn't work in this town. Some areas of the city are dense and some aren't: mumbo jumbo.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 07:20 PM   #24679
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 460

Transit works better in L.A due to it being more dense overall, but it's only mostly along corridors like Wilshire Bl, Sunset Bl and sub districts like Hollywood/West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Rest: very light density. In SJ: more areas of the city is dense and not just in certain areas or corridor even though the overall density is less than L.A. Anyway, transit works better in L.A. urban pattern.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 11:04 PM   #24680
gillynova

Likes (Received): 1183

---

Last edited by gillynova; January 4th, 2020 at 11:19 PM.
gillynova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé